Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Omar comes out with some strange album names and song titles, but this coupled with the album art is loving bizarre :psyboom:

It looks like a Black Moth Super Rainbow cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like how he's using any and all press lately to tell everyone he's going to stop being such an rear end in a top hat hahaha. I'm just imagining that he went and made a list of all the people he's been a poo poo to...got to a certain point and said "you know what, it's going to take a lot less time to just say this to all the magazines I can get into and hope they see this"

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I have only listened to the first two tracks of that first 2012 album. I think I'll listen to them all today.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Deantoni Parks' solo album is out. http://deantoniparks.bandcamp.com/ it's quite good and chill

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
The single he released a while back was so utterly boring and generic sounding, but I'm going to give the album a shot anyway.

Monroe
May 7, 2010
In regards to the Octopus Kool Aid album,

Webbeh posted:

Despite the name, this album is a lot more accessible than his last two releases. Although it sounds a lot like Tychozorente, just with a different female lead and a lot darker.

I feel that his albums are getting more "accessible" which to me translates to boring. I know he'd going a new direction and exploring, but it seems like his exploration is limited to mid-tempo synthesizer tracks. I miss the insanity of his old stuff, and most of all, I want him to play guitar again.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I dunno if y'all knew, but Omar has a new group that's touring right now with all new music. It's called Bosnian Rainbows and it's Omar on guitar, Deantoni on drums and synth, Teri Gender Bender on vox and Nicci Kasper on keys. More info is here: http://rodriguezlopezproductions.com/

Sadly I didn't get to see them live (found out about all this a couple days after they passed through my town)... but there are bootlegs and this is my favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IGJWB3pNI

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
Here's a studio recording:

https://vimeo.com/51430038

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
It's nice to hear Omar finally noodlin' again.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Full disclosure: despite a few mis-steps along the road, I do love TMV, but I've never really gotten into Omar's solo work.

One of the big reasons for this is that he seems to bury his melodies beneath a deluge of knob-twiddling effects, messy riffs and plain old noise. I find it really impenetrable stuff, even when there's something cool going on underneath. I guess it speaks to a lot of TMV's catalogue, wherein I love Deloused and Noctourniquet (my favourite album of the year), but really can't deal with some of the other stuff.

The other day, I watched this, recorded (presumably) back before Solar Gambling dropped, and I loved it. I was so loving ecstatic to hear something from Omar that eschewed the "layers upon layers of crazy bullshit" in favour of something cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZgytCOBw8

I decided to go check out the album proper and the song was still there, but apart from Ximena's vocals and the driving riff, again, everything's just kinda muddled together. The crispness of the live performance just isn't there, and most of the other tracks don't grab me. I don't know why he actively avoids letting the groove of each song shine even though I maintain he's one of the best out there at creating it.

Is there a non-TMV album amongst his ridiculous discography that will give me what I want, or is it all really hit and miss in that respect?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The first thing I would do is make sure you check out the live album that the version of the song you put on is from and an early live album- http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/-
http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/los-sue-os-de-un-higado

As far as cleaner and more focussed Omar albums go have you tried Xenophanes? It`s probably the closest to TMV sound in terms of sound. There`s Ciencia de los Inultiles as well, but that`s an acoustic album and unlikely to be what you`re looking for.

From what I`ve heard about their plans for recording the new Bosnian Rainbows stuff, it sounds like it`s going to be very underproduced. That`s not to say it won`t have mountains of effects, but I think they want to put what they`ve been doing live onto the record with not much post production.

Oh and the Mars Volta are on hiatus now, and I think we all know what that means. Especially coming from Omar and Cedric.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

The first thing I would do is make sure you check out the live album that the version of the song you put on is from and an early live album- http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/-
http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/los-sue-os-de-un-higado

As far as cleaner and more focussed Omar albums go have you tried Xenophanes? It`s probably the closest to TMV sound in terms of sound. There`s Ciencia de los Inultiles as well, but that`s an acoustic album and unlikely to be what you`re looking for.

From what I`ve heard about their plans for recording the new Bosnian Rainbows stuff, it sounds like it`s going to be very underproduced. That`s not to say it won`t have mountains of effects, but I think they want to put what they`ve been doing live onto the record with not much post production.

Oh and the Mars Volta are on hiatus now, and I think we all know what that means. Especially coming from Omar and Cedric.
B-b-but theey never even toured the north west :( This is so sad to me.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Shelf Adventure posted:

I had no idea that was actually put onto a record! Just added it to my collection: hopefully that'll scratch the itch.

I've heard similar words about Bosnian Rainbows, but a stripped-down Omar still tends to be heavy on the wank. My fingers are crossed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I had somewhat mixed feelings about it when it came out, but I have been listening to Noctourtinquet a lot lately. It's very different from any other album they've done and from most of Omar's work and I kind of like it the best at this point. Omar's playing is so much more restrained than usual and I feel like with the drums and keyboards up front instead the compositions themselves are a lot clearer. There are still a lot of layers but the layers seem to work with each other better and are more subtle.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Earwicker posted:

I had somewhat mixed feelings about it when it came out, but I have been listening to Noctourtinquet a lot lately. It's very different from any other album they've done and from most of Omar's work and I kind of like it the best at this point. Omar's playing is so much more restrained than usual and I feel like with the drums and keyboards up front instead the compositions themselves are a lot clearer. There are still a lot of layers but the layers seem to work with each other better and are more subtle.
Exactly my feeling. It's like I said further up - if you're a fan of the maniacal noodling of some of their previous work, that's cool, but I think there's something to be said for the (relative) simplicity of Noctourniquet. It's a very stripped down effort by their standards but it actually feels like a cohesive work. They cinched in the sides instead of letting it burst the girdle and turn into a giant bloated mess, as happens with so many other records in their catalogue.

I love that there are still plenty of interesting things to draw your attention, but they're not fighting for position anymore.

Criminally overlooked album, in my opinion.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

See, the thing I like about the Mars Volta is the noodlin', the long rear end jams, the sheer number of instruments fighting for my attention... I like it when the Mars Volta, you know, sounds like the Mars Volta. I guess those days are over though, seeing as how their last two have been so different and Omar is claiming that he will not be dictatorial in whatever they do next.

:smith:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
It sounds like 2013 is the year of Bosnian Rainbows for Omar, so we won't be seeing new TMV for awhile.

If you're looking for unfuzzy Omar albums, Old Money is a good album. Same with Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah, I've ended up really loving Noctourniquet. Just a wonderful series of colorful songs, sometimes intense, sometimes gorgeous. It's the shorter, more restrained album that Octedwhatever should have been.

I'm fine with whatever direction they go in. Yeah, their noodle-psycho-prog stuff is great. But they put out four really great records with that sound that'll keep me satisfied for a long, long time.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I've been a fan of TMV since Francis and I have to say I have never been this immediately grabbed by an album of theirs. I LOVE Noctourniquet. It feels so fresh and yet so familiar at the same time. The standouts so far (I'm just starting my second listen) are Aegis, Empty Vessels and In Abesentia. The synths work sooo well with the album aesthetic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Did they really never return to the Pacific NW after someone threw pee at them at Seattle's Endfest? I figured I just missed them during periods where I didn't look at a local paper.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Did they really never return to the Pacific NW after someone threw pee at them at Seattle's Endfest? I figured I just missed them during periods where I didn't look at a local paper.

They haven't been here in like three years.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Omar has two new albums out. Equinox and the long-expected Woman Gives Birth to a Tomato!.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

What makes it long-expected?

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

WASDF posted:

What makes it long-expected?

The album art for it, along with a few other unreleased albums, are in the Telesterion booklet from 2011.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

travislopes posted:

The album art for it, along with a few other unreleased albums, are in the Telesterion booklet from 2011.

Exactly. It's the one album that was teased in the booklet once the anthology album came out, and its taken a long time for it to see the light of day.

Sounds like both of these albums can be qualified as experimental guitar noise albums, but there's saxophone on them. Makes me miss Adrian in the band.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Album is weird as poo poo (pretty cool, though), but that is an amazing cover.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
And another one. Unicorn Skeleton Mask

Sounds like this one is a lot more focused, sounds like the sequel to Octopus Kool Aid (but with a lot more Juan, on first listen).

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 3, 2013

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Looks like this one has a fan-favorite from the 2010 ORLG performances - see track Sea is Rising.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Maria te canta is also from those black and white videos. About time!

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

Maria te canta is also from those black and white videos. About time!

Sea Is Rising live
Maria te Canta live

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

RIP in Piece ;-;

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Very sad day :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

i never got to see them live. i can't help but hold resentment for Omar for some reason.

Why do I have feelings??

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
now bring back AtDi

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo, that's a real bummer :( I wish I'd gotten to see them live more than once at a festival while standing pretty far back from the stage.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

WASDF posted:

RIP in Piece ;-;

That very last one is heartbreaking. :( Jon Theodore back with The Mars Volta would have been amazing.

Crimson Sox posted:

now bring back AtDi

Trying to imagine AtDi with everyone BUT Omar. Because that's what I assume it would be if that were to happen right? :confused:

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 24, 2013

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
At this point they should just do ATDI with a comedy option such as Buckethead, Slash, or John Reis.

EDIT: Not really sold on this Bosnian Rainbows business. I think I like Anywhere (Cedric's new band with Mike Watt) better.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

You could probably do AtDI without Omar, honestly.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can't say I'm surprised, I couldn't see them touring for music two years after they recorded it.

That said, anyone going to Bosnian Rainbows in Detroit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
TMV used to be like my absolute favorite band. They took my live music virginity. It sucks to see them go. I haven't listened to De-Loused in years but I decided to give it a listen, and it still sounds every bit as amazing as I remember.

• Locked thread