Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Also, any good resources for learning Twilight Struggle? I impulse bought it thinking it was simpler than it appears.

Good news, there's an excellent site called Twilight Strategy. You can read that article for the overview, and when you want things to think about strategy-wise read the other articles, then the card guides.

On that note, I should announce the results of the earlier tourney.
1st! Riidi
2nd Nerokerubina
3rd Blackmongoose
4th Tekopo

A very competitive set of matches, the final was decided two games to none with some lopsided draw luck in both games. Plenty of room to reorder if we do this again. Thank you to all the participants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, change of subject, what are some board games that work very well for PbP? And, more specifically, what qualities make a game good for PbP? Any kind of "everyone submit hidden information simultaneously" game (anything from Room 25 to Resistance to Apples to Apples) automatically does well in my book, as a GM of some sort helps keep everything straight.

Really, it's my feeling that any game that doesn't require things being done in real time, and would not be harmed by the addition of a "GM", "Referee" or "Overseer" would do well in PbP, but I haven't had nearly enough experiences to say that with anything resembling definitiveness.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I would recommend Puerto Rico and Agricola as well. They are great games, and always ranked on the top of BGG, for whatever that is worth.

Very popular euros: medium difficulty, plenty of strategies, almost no luck.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why do so many people drink when they game? Is this like the nerd version of a frat party and drinking games? Maybe I am just old..

Why do you assume that old people don't enjoy drinking?

Like others have said, I don't think anyone seriously gets hammered during their gaming sessions. Nothing wrong with enjoying a few beers and some whiskey with friends.

Although I tend to get a bit drunk during BSG because it's just more fun that way.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I Kickstarted it because it seemed interesting. It's only hit the table once, but I really want to try it again with more than two. A caveat: the cool in theory action cards with the slidey tabs are hit or miss. I had ZERO problems making it function properly, but I've had 3 other people try it out and for 2 of them something about the oils in their skin or lack thereof make it physically impossible for them to slide the cardstock on cardstock tabs. I'm sure they would be problem free after they break in, but if the things don't slide for one of the players, everyone gets frustrated and the game isn't very fun (this happened :()

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It's just about time for me to buy a new board game.

My weekly group is five people, and in the past we usually ended up playing four player games, since someone usually couldn't make it.

For the last two months, we've been having all five show up pretty regularly, and we don't seem to have a ton of games that work well for five people, so I'm looking for suggestions for games that really shine with five that take about two hours (or less and can be played multiple times in an evening). We've been playing a lot of Small World, Cosmic Encounter (which I hate), Space Alert (which another member of our group hates and I don't understand it) and Stone Age, since that's all we really have for five. I have Game of Thrones, but the group is afraid of wasting an evening learning it since they've heard it takes a while to pick up (and I don't know it very well myself), and Battlestar Galactica is too long for our Thursday night group.

I've taken a look at a couple lists on BGG (like http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32413/the-best-games-for-5-players, but was wondering if anyone else here had other suggestions or recommendations that weren't there. I'm leaning toward El Grande, but am open to any suggestions in basically any genre.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
7 Wonders plays fast, learns fast, works fine with five and offers a lot of depth.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

echoMateria posted:

Considering what I already have, what changes would you recommend on this buying order and why?

I can definitely recommend:

Innovation - my go-to above-filler game. Small, plays equally well (but differently) with 2-4, despite having little overt theme is brilliantly constructed so the story writes itself. A play fits in an hour, rule explanation in 10 minutes (but the game starts to shine after 2-3 plays when you identify the best/worst cards for your playstyle). (Warning: requires very flexible tactics and adapting on the fly, many typical euro players hate it.
Galaxy Trucker - because come on, Galaxy Trucker. Sometimes you don't want to plot overarching strategies or calculate economic engines. Sometimes the group will just want to fly to a space junkheap, build ships out of whatever they find, and try to screw the other players the most (until they themselves get wiped in an unlucky meteor storm). GTAE includes both expansions and will serve you long.
Dune - gently caress Rex, if you have to order it from abroad just go to BGG and make a P&P copy of Dune, you'll have better theme. Remember the Battlestar Galactica game, with loyalty cards? Here each one of your commanders has one. You usually won't know who's got them in their pay. Besides, what do you expect for a game that has separate Traitor, Treachery and Betrayal decks? Plans within plans within plans. Plays best with 6, well with 4, don't try with other numbers.
Dungeon Lords - I'm not known for my love of euros (there is one? :v:), but as far as worker placement games go this one's really solid and has an excellent integration of theme and mechanics. And humor. You haven't read rules until you read Vlaada's rules. I can't stand the monster-raising theme of Petz, but many people swear by it.
Cyclades - Scales well for 3-5 players, great catch-up mechanic with clear victory conditions and vicious, evil betting system. Love it when I'm in the mood for something evil.

Oh, and gently caress Dungeonquest. It's basically Talisman in dungeons, but more deadly and with a separate combat mechanic tacked on. Push to the very back of the list, or better yet, avoid altogether.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Colon V posted:

So, change of subject, what are some board games that work very well for PbP? And, more specifically, what qualities make a game good for PbP? Any kind of "everyone submit hidden information simultaneously" game (anything from Room 25 to Resistance to Apples to Apples) automatically does well in my book, as a GM of some sort helps keep everything straight.

Really, it's my feeling that any game that doesn't require things being done in real time, and would not be harmed by the addition of a "GM", "Referee" or "Overseer" would do well in PbP, but I haven't had nearly enough experiences to say that with anything resembling definitiveness.
You can run almost any game, even ones that are mechanically complex, along as you follow the golden rules: do not ever, ever try to run games that has some sort of 'interrupt' action that plays out of turn. Some multiplayer wargames are guilty of this and they are basically unplayable unless you do a really tedious system of 'okay, you've done your action, anyone want to interrupt?' after pretty much every action, which draws the game out and makes the entire thing tedious to GM.

Apart from that, it's usually based on how easily it is to get art assets for the game. Some games don't require it (for example, BSG is easy to GM since the meat of the game is the social interraction) but for others (I'll use Dungeon Petz as my example) the art makes the game and running it without art of any sort would not make for an enjoyable game.

So far I've run two games of BSG, which by far were the easiest to run since I just needed a spreadsheet and deck-manager, which is a program one of the goons developed specifically to run BSG game. I've run Death Angel, where I actually learnt how to use GIMP/Photoshop, after that I ran a couple of games of T&E and now Dungeon Petz, which is the most difficult game I've run by far.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Our yearly "cabin con" starts tomorrow. We rent a beach house and just play board games, eat, and drink for 4 days. We don't drink till we're drunk for the most part, but it's a few days away from work and family where it's okay to have beer with your breakfast. I'll get to finally try Eclipse which is totally new to me. We're also gonna do a Dreadball tourney which the guys who got it seem to really enjoy. One guy is bringing Space Cadets which looks like a blast, plus a bunch of other new games/standards. These weekends are the only time I get to have big Resistance games where people get SO worked up, I love it. Don't think anyone picked up the Avalon version which would have been cool to try. Think we're also gonna step away from board games for a few hours Friday night to play some Dungeon Crawl Classic which is a good time.

Everyone should organize these kind of weekends with their friends, they're a blast.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Well, since shipping is a huge issue for you, I'd probably put it off for a while or try to find someone selling a used copy on BGG or something. I haven't gotten as far as the SAGS mission generator, but I've heard that it opens up the Earth Reborn system in a good way.

The scenarios in the book are merely tutorials to prepare you for the main game that is SAGS. Earth Reborn is an amazing 2p game, and if that's a common number of players you have, then Earth Reborn is for you.

PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!

Colon V posted:

Has anyone played Frag? How is it? My LGS has got it for like $35, and I'm gonna be playing a demo copy next week, but I wanna know what to expect going in.
(tl;dr: ameritrash in a crazy way where attackers and defenders are rolling 8+ dice each)
I got it for $15. I think it's ok, but there's serious problems with it. And I can't get anyone to play a campaign/tournament (which is playing 7 games giving winners per game more stats)

But here's a paraphrase of several things:

-Rolled a 15 for movement. Let me walk across every power up square hoping to roll for a pick up item. Attack? reposition? Leave the starting spawn room? nah, trying to get loot.

-I attack you point blank with this shotgun, and link it with this energy gun, which I'm going to full charge. 4+5 = rolling 9d6. You have 4 base health, and you're playing adrenaline for 2 more health, and you have a 1 armor item on. 4+2+1 = 7d6. Ok I roll 9d6 and you roll 7d6 (damage dealt = attack roll / defense roll [round down]).

-I got 4 dex, so that's 2 attacks a turn, and I can easily snipe you from a mile away. but you're hiding behind that corner so I'll end turn. You with your 4 speed run a mile in a turn, and shotgun me in one hit, and run another mile away behind another corner in the same turn.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Colon V posted:

Oh my God, my FLGS also has the Doom board game.

It's $60. :negative:

I wouldn't recommend buying Doom at this day and age if not for a very, very cheap price or on a trade. It is worse than Descent 1st edition, and even that is quite unplayable without expansions (even with them I'd rather play Descent 2nd edition).

OperaMouse posted:

I would recommend Puerto Rico and Agricola as well. They are great games, and always ranked on the top of BGG, for whatever that is worth.

Very popular euros: medium difficulty, plenty of strategies, almost no luck.

I've been thinking about them too, but I think some of the games in my list are quite similar. I'm not sure if I got both one wouldn't really get much time on the table, which is something I'm trying to optimize at this point.

Pierzak posted:

I can definitely recommend:

Innovation ...words... Galaxy Trucker ...words... Dune ...words... Dungeon Lords ...words... Cyclades ...words...

Oh, and gently caress Dungeonquest. It's basically Talisman in dungeons, but more deadly and with a separate combat mechanic tacked on. Push to the very back of the list, or better yet, avoid altogether.

When I look at Innovation, I feel like I would be playing a game that is made entirely of the tech-tree of Civilization. Since all my friends are a big fan of that, I think this would be a big hit on the table, looking forward to trying. I can't wait to get my hands on the Galaxy Trucker, waiting on the new edition to be available to grab it. I'd honestly prefer Dune to Rex due to my group's familiarity and love with the Dune IP and total unfamiliarity with the Twilight Imperium IP, but I worry about the availability and long playtime. Dungeon Lords is my currently top choice for a longer worker placement game, hope I can grab it soon. Cyclades looks like an awesome mix of worker placement, auctions and light-wargame, so I'm looking forward to it as well.

When I first saw Dungeonquest I hated the idea of total randomness of it, but I'm a die hard fan of the "place tiles as you explore the map mechanic" and one of my friends was shouting that it is "so roguelike"... So I considered that it to be a light, fun experience of laughing at others' misfortunes with a couple house rules to allow people to rejoin with new characters (there is a time limit anyway) and by using one of the simplified combat alternatives. But I'm not sure if all that would work, so it's not on top places on the list for now.

The General posted:

The scenarios in the book are merely tutorials to prepare you for the main game that is SAGS. Earth Reborn is an amazing 2p game, and if that's a common number of players you have, then Earth Reborn is for you.

So are you saying that you actually played a good number of SAGS missions and that they were fun? I hear many people saying that it "would be fun", but I'm looking for someone that actually played those a lot and can comment on experience.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have all of the tutorials and around 5 SAGS under my belt, and SAGs is the way to go IMHO. While it takes a little extra time to setup the board, it's not all that bad.

And Earth Reborn also has some of the most batshit insane world history I have ever read. Seriously, The Greenpeace/Google alliance.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Earth Reborn was on sale on Amazon at the end of last year and I managed to get it shipped cheap to Australia. People in this thread posted to buy it and I did :) Box is intimidating but can't wait to crack it open.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

dishwasherlove posted:

Earth Reborn was on sale on Amazon at the end of last year and I managed to get it shipped cheap to Australia. People in this thread posted to buy it and I did :) Box is intimidating but can't wait to crack it open.

Amazon doesn't ship Earth Reborn to my place. What Amazon ships here and what it doesn't is decided by a dice roll I beieve. Since they ship Saboteur 2 but don't ship Saboteur 1. They ship Android: Netrunner - Trace Amount but don't ship Android: Netrunner - What Lies Ahead. There isn't a single difference in the sizes of these boxes or their contents. I see no explanation but the dice for this. ;)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Earth Reborn is still my favorite game, even though I don't get to play it too much as of recent. If you're concerned about replayability, there are two things you should know:
  • The scenarios are very replayable. You can get at least 5 plays out of each of them without getting bored.
  • The scenarios, as fun as they are, are really warm-ups for SAGS. SAGS is a full game in itself, and is where the real meat of Earth Reborn lies. Hell, it even makes the setup less tedious because both players are actively participating in making the map instead of assembling according to a preset board. SAGS is one of my favorite board gaming experiences ever and is worth the box price alone.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

echoMateria posted:

Amazon doesn't ship Earth Reborn to my place. What Amazon ships here and what it doesn't is decided by a dice roll I beieve. Since they ship Saboteur 2 but don't ship Saboteur 1. They ship Android: Netrunner - Trace Amount but don't ship Android: Netrunner - What Lies Ahead. There isn't a single difference in the sizes of these boxes or their contents. I see no explanation but the dice for this. ;)
You ignoramus, don't you know how this is normally decided? :colbert:

...dartboard.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2013

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

echoMateria posted:

It could be that the actual seller who you are buying from through Amazon is different for the different products, and the supplier who will sell you Trace Amount is sold out of What Lies Ahead.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
To the people responding to my earlier post about Eclipse and my general feel about it: it's great to hear that the game met your expectations and you find it fun to play. I worded my original post badly because it seemed like I had played the game myself which I have not. It's just that the complaints about combat not feeling like actual combat (whatever that subjective judgement means), somewhat dull artwork and mediocre ship models painted a picture of a failed attempt at a compact 4X game. Now that you've have reinstated my faith in the game, I'm tempted to try it out. Too bad none of my friends own it.

If I had my doubts about Eclipse, let me in turn gush over The Resistance. I had only once played some version of mafia with a bunch of random people in the past and had a horrible time, so when yesterday someone suggested we'd try out The Resistance, I was feeling wary to say the least. The first two games weren't really interesting because either the spies exposed themselves right off the bat by sabotaging too aggressively or they couldn't keep a poker face when being accused of working for the empire. BUT, the third game was probably the most fun experience I've ever had with gaming in general. The game was tied with two succesful and two failed missions and we had outed one spy. I was strongly suspecting another player because he had devised it so that the now exposed spy would get on both of the failed missions. Me and him kept arguing over who should be sent for the last decisive mission and we both accused each other of being spies and trying to swing the vote in our favor. Well, finally I convinced the table to vote yes for the operatives I suggested (leaving the suspected player out). And the mission failed. The other spy had mostly just commented calmly on both of our competing views and weighed the choices while we two resistance players kept going at each others' throats. There was shouting, scheming, deduction, attempts at reading people and all kinds of other fun. It is a great game, buy it if you can get six or more players together consistently.

After The Resistance we split in smaller groups to play other games. I got to try out Ghost Stories with the Black Secret expansion. I had played the base game before and enjoyed it, but now with five players and the expansion it was a total trainwreck: the Wu Feng player had to constantly check for rules clarifications which made his actions take forever between the player turns and the game just took far too long in general. There's a chance that the expansion could work if the rules are clear for everyone, but I still think Ghost Stories works best as a purely co-operative experience. That way there's virtually no down-time because you're all thinking together what would be the optimal move for everyone all the time, whereas in Black Secret, this long-term planning is almost impossible and you have to sit waiting for the Wu Feng player to do millions of choices before you can get back to revising your tactics.

Then we played two quick rounds of King of Tokyo which I bought on my way to the gaming event. It worked as a great filler, and there was enough strategic depth so that it's more than a re-themed Yahtzee. That being said, I still think the theme is almost half the game, because everybody kind of went to this gigamonster mode shouting at each other and trying to spur their monster into victory

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 24, 2013

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

echoMateria posted:

When I first saw Dungeonquest I hated the idea of total randomness of it, but I'm a die hard fan of the "place tiles as you explore the map mechanic" and one of my friends was shouting that it is "so roguelike"... So I considered that it to be a light, fun experience of laughing at others' misfortunes with a couple house rules to allow people to rejoin with new characters (there is a time limit anyway) and by using one of the simplified combat alternatives. But I'm not sure if all that would work, so it's not on top places on the list for now.

This is exactly the right way to think about Dungeonquest. Like Tales of the Arabian Nights, it's less a game than an engine for generating misfortune. If the group you're playing with can treat it like that, it can be really fun, as people get stuck in dead ends or the catacombs or repeatedly lose their treasure or what-have-you. It hasn't happened with Dungeonquest, but I once played a five-player game of TotAN with two people who wanted to treat it like a game, and it was sheer misery.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

These Loving Eyes posted:

To the people responding to my earlier post about Eclipse and my general feel about it: it's great to hear that the game met your expectations and you find it fun to play. I worded my original post badly because it seemed like I had played the game myself which I have not. It's just that the complaints about combat not feeling like actual combat (whatever that subjective judgement means), somewhat dull artwork and mediocre ship models painted a picture of a failed attempt at a compact 4X game. Now that you've have reinstated my faith in the game, I'm tempted to try it out. Too bad none of my friends own it.

It seems crazy to me that people have these complaints. In a world dominated by cartoon artwork for most boardgames, I actually enjoy the gritty, darker art that Eclipse has. It's simple and unique in its own way. The models are all fine and get the job done, and are honestly better to look at then the alternative that a lot of games use: wooden squares, circles, and triangles. I kind of wish the models were a bit smaller and less detailed (similar to Axis and Allies) because everything can get really clusterfucked in giant battles, but other than that I think they are fine.

Combat is the only thing that I can understand people having problems with, but I think it's great. Probably because I abuse plasma missiles. The game sufficiently favors defenders over attackers yet dishes out losses all over the place, which it should.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Room 25 looks like it's going to be a good substitute for a lot of these "experience generators". It's looks like it scratches that same itch for random happenings and player misfortune, while having a modicum of strategy/bluffing, while being really light and quick to play. Being overly fiddly and long playing time always seem to be the stumbling blocks for these 80's era games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally got my own copy of Eclipse! Christ there's a lot of stuff in the box.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
So what you're saying is that if I like Betrayal at House on the Hill and Tales of the Arabian Nights, I should look into Room 25?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

OmegaGoo posted:

So what you're saying is that if I like Betrayal at House on the Hill and Tales of the Arabian Nights, I should look into Room 25?

I wouldn't say it substitutes exactly (as Room 25 lacks the narrative snippets or RPG-lite elements built into the game that things like Betrayal or Arkham has), but it certainly works on a very similar, if stripped down, level.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

OmegaGoo posted:

If you like BaHotH, Room 25 is like a much simpler version of that game. There's actually at least 2 instances of it in the Play by Post forum right now, and the rules are only 8 pages (more like 4 if you take out graphics).

I love the idea behind Betrayal, but the playtime and lack of meaningful choice always turned me off. Room 25 strips out the bloat and actually has some interesting choices.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Colon V posted:

Oh my God, my FLGS also has the Doom board game.

It's $60. :negative:

It's been out of print for at least 3 years, I think more. It will never be redone (the 'niche' for that game at FFG is now filled by Gears of War). As a dissenting voice, I rather like it, warts and all. Yes, the rulebook is badly laid out... even for an FFG game... the various tokens don't even have labels. It's a fun little game though, and the 1 inch grid board pieces are also quite nice for any sci fi RPG maps, too!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Last week there was a swap meet and I bought Space Hulk for $50. All the pieces are here (the brood lord and dead marine with the chalice even have magnetic bases) and the game looks like it was never played. The guy said he primed the genestealers to paint and just put the game away for whatever reason. I totally understand why people gut this game because the models are loving beautiful. The quality of the pieces in general is the best I've seen from any board game.

echoMateria posted:

If you want a good tile laying, dungeon crawling game then check out Drakon. The goal is similar: reach the dragon's horde and get the gently caress out. But the game is unique in that there's no random element except for the tile draw. Each tile has a special ability like moving other players or rotating rooms. It's light enough that the rules are only 3-4 pages long, it plays faster than DungeonQuest, and you win through superior tactics instead of blind luck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

al-azad posted:

If you want a good tile laying, dungeon crawling game then check out Drakon. The goal is similar: reach the dragon's horde and get the gently caress out. But the game is unique in that there's no random element except for the tile draw. Each tile has a special ability like moving other players or rotating rooms. It's light enough that the rules are only 3-4 pages long, it plays faster than DungeonQuest, and you win through superior tactics instead of blind luck.

That's interested we found that the game was incredibly bland. The game mostly consisted of player trying to create a closed loop that they would just go through again and again. It rarely paid to go off on your own and was generally best just to stay with the group and hope that you got more gold when someone finally popped the loop. Doing stuff like moving the Dragon and moving around the map was always limited by the path created by the map itself. It was one of the first games I bought, and the first game I resold.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

That's interested we found that the game was incredibly bland. The game mostly consisted of player trying to create a closed loop that they would just go through again and again. It rarely paid to go off on your own and was generally best just to stay with the group and hope that you got more gold when someone finally popped the loop. Doing stuff like moving the Dragon and moving around the map was always limited by the path created by the map itself. It was one of the first games I bought, and the first game I resold.

I couldn't imagine playing like this but my group overall is made up of the type of players who try really hard to go in the opposite direction of everyone else.

I also played Legendary over the weekend and hated it. We must have played at least a dozen games to try and figure out what we were doing wrong. It ultimately came down to this: we either beat up the villain really quickly or he beat us really quickly. One of the scenarios turns bystanders into villains and that game must have lasted 3 turns before we lost. Everything is expensive, all the villains are super tough, it's easy to completely trash all your starting fight cards and be left with nothing, and there's no infinite mook to beat up a la Ascension. And if a player wants to really be an rear end in a top hat because they're losing they can just sabotage the board in general by playing really lovely.

Has there ever been a cooperative/competitive game (without a traitor player) that worked?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

al-azad posted:

I also played Legendary over the weekend and hated it. We must have played at least a dozen games to try and figure out what we were doing wrong. It ultimately came down to this: we either beat up the villain really quickly or he beat us really quickly. One of the scenarios turns bystanders into villains and that game must have lasted 3 turns before we lost. Everything is expensive, all the villains are super tough, it's easy to completely trash all your starting fight cards and be left with nothing, and there's no infinite mook to beat up a la Ascension. And if a player wants to really be an rear end in a top hat because they're losing they can just sabotage the board in general by playing really lovely.

Has there ever been a cooperative/competitive game (without a traitor player) that worked?

From everything I've heard of Legendary the competitiveness just seems there without any real game support. The whole aspect seems tacked on because they didn't want to make a purely co-op game. Maybe it's going to be something that a future expansion will tackle in greater depth and they just wanted to get it out there so people got used to the idea that there was competition in the game so it didn't feel completely foreign when they expanded it later.

Mage Knight does pretty well in the co-op competitive genre I think, but generally no. The Star Trek Deck Building game suffers from the same effects as Legendary sounds it it does. The problem is that inevitably a player pulls ahead and then alienates themselves from the group by being ahead, and when the game itself forces everyone to work together to combat a threat players will almost always just tank the whole thing to prevent one guy from winning. I thought Panic Station, while not the same type of game, was a pretty good example of how players wanting to win will lead them into a path that leads to breaking the game itself. Similarly in Co-Op Competitive games, players will do things that go against the spirit of the game in order to try and achieve victory for themselves.

Come to think of it, Cutthroat Caverns takes this idea and runs with it full steam ahead, and that's a fantastic game. So there you go. That game emphasizes the Competitiveness over Co-Op though, I'm not sure it works the other way around.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cutthroat Caverns IS hilarious. I'd play it a lot more but one guy in my group just absolutely HATES it for whatever reason.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Does anyone have any clue when Space Alert is getting another printing run? I cannot find a copy in the UK for the life of me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

gently caress you CoolStuff people. I send you an email last week asking if you are going to stock any copies of Exodus:Proxima Centauri and don't get a reply. So on Tuesday(Taiwan time) I put in my order. Today I go online to see about preordering the next expansions for Netrunner, and not only do I see that they are now stocking Exodus:Proxima Centauri, but it came in stock on TUESDAY and is now sold out.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

gently caress you CoolStuff people. I send you an email last week asking if you are going to stock any copies of Exodus:Proxima Centauri and don't get a reply. So on Tuesday(Taiwan time) I put in my order. Today I go online to see about preordering the next expansions for Netrunner, and not only do I see that they are now stocking Exodus:Proxima Centauri, but it came in stock on TUESDAY and is now sold out.

How the hell is that game $97?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Kiranamos posted:

How the hell is that game $97?

I'm guessing that based off the price and apparent quantity they received, they just ordered some copies through the European distributor. The site that was/is selling it in Europe, had the price around $100USD when I last checked. It's interesting considering the obvious parallels with Eclipse, this would be a similar issue. I'll bet it will drop down once they get a manufacturer/distributor in the States.

Edit: There is an awful lot of components as well.

Double Edit: You gotta love morons on BGG:

quote:

"I get most of my games from Coolstuff, but I got to say that I would rather that they charged $100 than $97.50 for the game. That would mean free shipping without any additional purchase. "

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 24, 2013

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Crackbone posted:

If you like BaHotH, Room 25 is like a much simpler version of that game. There's actually at least 2 instances of it in the Play by Post forum right now, and the rules are only 8 pages (more like 4 if you take out graphics).

I love the idea behind Betrayal, but the playtime and lack of meaningful choice always turned me off. Room 25 strips out the bloat and actually has some interesting choices.

I was concerned with some early reviews claiming that if you're a competent gamer playing with competent gamers you can easily figure out who is betraying etc. There were more criticisms but there may be expansions and such to make it more diverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2013

• Locked thread