Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Was Glorious Srbja the LP that lost most of its images when waffleimages (or whatever the hosting site was) went down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Vodos posted:

I didn't get it either, turns out my "Receive email from admins" in the forum control panel was unchecked. I'm no really sure whether I ever touched that setting but apparently that's the reason.

If I didn't have the "receive email from admins" option checked (it is now, just in case), is there anything I can do to still get my key for EU3 Chronicles? I'd love to be able to gift it to someone.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Has anyone still got a code left to PM to me? I played around with a friends' copy a bit like three expansions ago and would really like trying it again (since HoI3 has lost its appeal quite quickly) :shobon:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

BBJoey posted:

Was Glorious Srbja the LP that lost most of its images when waffleimages (or whatever the hosting site was) went down?

Unfortunately so.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

BBJoey posted:

You don't need the images. The Glorious Srjbja lives in spirit. Also possible Vic2 mod

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I've been playing a spot of HoI 3 tonight and the thing that's been bugging me the most (and this isn't a complaint specific to HoI 3, so please don't get probated, Darkrenown ;)) was managing my sliders, especially during peacetime. I know I could just let the AI manage the whole thing, but wouldn't it be great if you could, say, middle-click a slider and it would automatically go to the exact amount of IC required (if you're over the limit; if you're under the limit it would go as close to the required amount of IC without making any unlocked sliders go under theirs)? Would that be possible in the current engine? It would seriously make any and all HoI games twice as enjoyable to me.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Playing the Srbja mod as the Maya, it looks promising, but it's kinda crash-happy, also the rebuild Mayan Empire decision seems to not actually do anything.

Looking forward to further developments on it, the vanilla scenarios in Paradox games get old kinda quick.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Smirr posted:

I've been playing a spot of HoI 3 tonight and the thing that's been bugging me the most (and this isn't a complaint specific to HoI 3, so please don't get probated, Darkrenown ;)) was managing my sliders, especially during peacetime. I know I could just let the AI manage the whole thing, but wouldn't it be great if you could, say, middle-click a slider and it would automatically go to the exact amount of IC required (if you're over the limit; if you're under the limit it would go as close to the required amount of IC without making any unlocked sliders go under theirs)? Would that be possible in the current engine? It would seriously make any and all HoI games twice as enjoyable to me.

I'd love a feature like this for Darkest Hour. The Consumer Goods slider eventually adjusts to stop losing money, but I'd love a "Balanced Budget" option where I could lock enough IC to it so that I'm making money at a decent rate, while still letting the other sliders manage themselves.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Pretty sure you can click the number the game is telling you the slider needs to be at to automatically set it for that number.

For DH play around with the checkboxes a bit I've found they work for nearly everything I need wrt to slider settings.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Koesj posted:

Has anyone still got a code left to PM to me? I played around with a friends' copy a bit like three expansions ago and would really like trying it again (since HoI3 has lost its appeal quite quickly) :shobon:

If you still need a code, PM me and I'll send you mine.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pretty sure you can click the number the game is telling you the slider needs to be at to automatically set it for that number.

For DH play around with the checkboxes a bit I've found they work for nearly everything I need wrt to slider settings.

Holy gently caress. It's even a button that highlights when you mouse over it but I never noticed and probably never would have. This is amazing. Thank you!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smirr posted:

Holy gently caress. It's even a button that highlights when you mouse over it but I never noticed and probably never would have. This is amazing. Thank you!
You can also right-click on the slider to "lock" it in position.

Having said that, I only really mess with the sliders for Leadership. I feel that the AI does a good enough job managing the Production sliders, even if you do unit production manually.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AFAIK the slider auto-management of Darkest Hour only accounts for how many Consumer Goods need to be produced to keep dissent neutral, which might still be less than what you'd need to pay for your research teams.

Anyway, the checkbox to the left of the (-) sign of the slider tells the AI whether or not it can allocate any amount of IC to that slider, period. The checkbox above the (-) sign of the slider tells the AI whether to prioritize that slider's requirements.

For the very start of the game, I only activate Consumer Goods and Supplies. The AI will fill up Supplies to the minimum, then put the rest into Consumer Goods, burning off your dissent

Later, I turn on Production and Upgrades. If it's DH-Full, I leave Reinforcements turned off until war is declared and I get mobilization, otherwise it's just wasting your peacetime amounts of manpower.

After that, it's just a matter of using the Prioritize checkboxes to juggle between Production, Upgrades and Reinforcements.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Random question of the SJRB mod; did the Aztec Empire somehow stay Pagan and take over most of North America, or did it convert to something? America looks like an amazing clusterfuck in that mod :allears:. I know religion doesn't matter in V2 but I'm curious and don't have a computer with V2 in front of me.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

Random question of the SJRB mod; did the Aztec Empire somehow stay Pagan and take over most of North America, or did it convert to something? America looks like an amazing clusterfuck in that mod :allears:. I know religion doesn't matter in V2 but I'm curious and don't have a computer with V2 in front of me.

From what I've seen my brief playthrough of the mod, yes, the American natives retained their own religions (although they're classified as pagan in-game).

Fun mod by the way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^
Thanks! I considered adding Teotl as a faith in the game, but since V2 doesn't really care about religions that was really low in priorities.

ArchRanger posted:

Playing the Srbja mod as the Maya, it looks promising, but it's kinda crash-happy, also the rebuild Mayan Empire decision seems to not actually do anything.

Hmmm... That must be a legacy decision from NNM, it was not supposed to exist since the Mayans already exist and they were the only nation to go democratic after the collapse of the continent-spanning Aztec Empire. That'll be cleared in the next version, thanks.

Are any of the crashes repeateable?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Kingdom of the North, Metis Confederacy and Canada all spam the "join the confederation" decision incessantly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Westminster System posted:

Kingdom of the North, Metis Confederacy and Canada all spam the "join the confederation" decision incessantly.

drat, I could have sworm I had removed that already. I'll try to get a version out today that fixes that and anything else being reported.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ZearothK posted:

^^
Thanks! I considered adding Teotl as a faith in the game, but since V2 doesn't really care about religions that was really low in priorities.

Hmmm... That must be a legacy decision from NNM, it was not supposed to exist since the Mayans already exist and they were the only nation to go democratic after the collapse of the continent-spanning Aztec Empire. That'll be cleared in the next version, thanks.

Are any of the crashes repeateable?

Not so far, no. Seems to happen most often around election events, but nothing in particular seems to set it off, so it might just be my install that is bugged.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I have a spare EU3 Chronicles key going from the giveaway if anyone still wants one, you can PM me on here for it. And taken, enjoy Eudaimonian!

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 23, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can anyone write/point me to a quick primer on how positioning fleet composition in EU3 works now?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Positioning is pretty much just what percentage of the cannons in your fleet are pointed at the enemy. If you've got 100 cannons in your fleet and 30% positioning, your effective firepower is only 30 cannons.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Alchenar posted:

Can anyone write/point me to a quick primer on how positioning fleet composition in EU3 works now?

Have more boats that the other guy and you win 99% of the time.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

run DNC posted:

Have more boats that the other guy and you win 99% of the time.

Is there any advantage to having little boats, if you have the money to build big ones?

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Nolanar posted:

Is there any advantage to having little boats, if you have the money to build big ones?
If you're talking about the light ships (not galleys), they're cheaper, faster, and count as big ships for purposes of tariffs. Not as good in combat but that doesn't matter much if you already have the world's largest fleet.

Galleys are supposed to be better in shallow waters like coasts and the Mediterranean but that's either bugged or the naval combat calculations are wrong because they're straight up worse. Only good thing about them is the they're dirt cheap.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

telcontar posted:

If you're talking about the light ships (not galleys), they're cheaper, faster, and count as big ships for purposes of tariffs. Not as good in combat but that doesn't matter much if you already have the world's largest fleet.

Galleys are supposed to be better in shallow waters like coasts and the Mediterranean but that's either bugged or the naval combat calculations are wrong because they're straight up worse. Only good thing about them is the they're dirt cheap.

Galleys in seas are better than galleys out of seas but still not better than big ships, its not a bug. It might actually be more effective to use galleys in seas vs the same cost in big ships but it also might not, I haven't actually tested this.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
The advantage of galleys is that a Mediterranean or Baltic power with say 50 naval force limits can probably run around their backyard with like 120 galleys and 20 transports and still spend less on naval maintenance than the ocean-faring guy with 50 naval force limits who has 30 big ships and 20 transports. You won't win with galleys against big ships at a 1:1 or even 2:1 ratio but there comes a point where you can overwhelm them, and you can do it pretty cheaply. If you need to leave the seas for any reason, you should probably avoid them.

Don't try to maintain even a single big ship if you try to use the strategy of going way over your force limits, though. That one big ship will cost a fortune in maintenance if you're way over your limits.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 23, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A SRB DIVIDED DELUXE BETA EDITION Mk. II

Download

Update Mk. II - Jan 23rd 2013

-Events will now fire for most player-run nations, explaining recent history and current situation of their nation;
-Removed some legacy events and decisions;
-Added decision for Srb Republic to claim Contlazotla, correcting almost a century of injustice!
-Added Canadian Crusades;
-Catalonia is now a revolutionary republic;
-Sahel will no longer turn into a dictatorship in a day, England should remain one;
-Serbia-Byzantium now owns Hispaniola at the start;

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Alchenar posted:

My strategy that has worked pretty well so far; make the biggest boats you can until you hit the force limit. When the colonial phase/the overseas warfare phase starts, have a transport fleet of 20 ships at least.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The interface for handling large fleets isn't exactly good either, oh you want to replace those 15 carracks you still have with galleons? Have fun picking them out of the 70 big ships you have!
Wish there was a button to move every ship of the same type and one to move every ship of the same class (Big/med/light/transport).

Not to mention that annoying bug where sometimes navies don't engage each other in war. It's fun to realize Crete is being sieged by Scotland, even tough you have a 60 navy stack sitting in the sea of Gibraltar. drat those Scottish cloaking ships :(

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Tahirovic posted:

drat those Scottish cloaking ships :(

Clearly they have some sort of 17th century submarine fleet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Well, it's a bit silly they can do it in the strait of Gibraltar, but you don't have RADAR on your manowars. Sea zones are mostly large enough it's a non trivial challenge to spot and engage an enemy fleet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is that a feature or a bug? It sounds like a bug. While it might make a little sense from a realism point of view, there's no stat for it in game, and no way for the player to impact. It just means that there's a random chance that fleets wont engage, and that's just no fun from a gameplay point of view. Randomly having your strategies thwarted by impossible to influence random dice rolls is not what you want out of a strategy game, especially if there aren't any ways to compensate that (say, as a small island nation who relies on naval power).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am sure it's a bug, I've seen it before where I had to chase down fleets, my fleet arrives in the sea province before theirs leaves. You have to chase them till they try to unload their armies, that usually forces a fight. Mostly wondering if it's a vanilla thing or a Miscmod thing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's not really something anyone can influence, you can't order ships not to miss fleets sailing by outside of their visual range. Oceans are big places even ignoring poor weather conditions/night. However, fleets unloading troops are always spotted so you can avoid missing them by keeping your own fleet near what you want to protect rather than out at sea.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 24, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nolanar posted:

The only advantage to galleys is that they're cheap as gently caress. Obviously one galley is not going to beat one carrack, but five galleys possibly could (especially if you're fighting in the Mediterranean). Generally what I do when I'm building up my navy is build galleys up to my force limit and then start building carracks to replace them.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Darkrenown posted:

poor weather conductions

That makes me want to play Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Not to mention that annoying bug where sometimes navies don't engage each other in war.

This is a feature added in the 5.2 Beta IIRC. Ships will always engage if both are still, i.e. one is trying to unload troops while your fleet is sitting in the same water province. I believe the patch notes said that the faster the navy is, the better the chances, but since it's unreliable it's mostly just annoying.

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011
Is Croatian culture supposed to be localized as noculture in Sjrbyzantium? The Philippines have their cores set incorrectly, they are in the province history as PHL but the country history has them as PHI so they show up as a rebel flag with no name.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sheep posted:

Finally, an almost-historically-accurate Korea!

:aaa: Where'd you get that map from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

It's not really something anyone can influence, you can't order ships not to miss fleets sailing by outside of their visual range. Oceans are big places even ignoring poor weather conditions/night. However, fleets unloading troops are always spotted so you can avoid missing them by keeping your own fleet near what you want to protect rather than out at sea.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. This line of reasoning makes for really unfun gameplay. Your stratagems and tactics should not be completely thwarted by random rolls of the dice. On land, the failures of your campaigns are influenced by the dice but ultimately you are the final decider for whether or not your strategies work or fail. You can plan for a failed battle or two. On the water, having the enemy just stroll past your fleet on a stroke of luck and completely siege your home land is just kind of frustrating bullshit. If armies couldn't disembark while their transports were in combat, you would be able to have a backup navy to stop landings, but that isn't possible. This little bit of realism for the sake of realism really hampers the gameplay, and is completely inconsistent with the entire rest of the game, which always sacrifices realism for better gameplay (such as being unable to stop disembarking troops).

• Locked thread