Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Ah thank you, quite a way to go then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Whooping Toff posted:

Ah thank you, quite a way to go then.

Just start now, you know you want to :getin:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
This show. Just so loving good. (Ep 37 spoilers)

I teared up when Mutta got told he made it. Just him sitting there with no music and him not knowing to cry or cheer was fantastic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Black Stones posted:

I teared up when Mutta got told he made it. Just him sitting there with no music and him not knowing to cry or cheer was fantastic.

Me too, but I accidentily bumped into my mouse and went back an episode ruining the moment.:argh: But I managed to tear up a little. :kamina:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

The Black Stones posted:

It was a great moment! I honestly did think they were about to end the episode just before they told Mutta though. I get the feeling that they dragged it out like this on purpose to make us feel the same way that Mutta did before getting his call. That said, this shows pacing is wonky as hell. I am inclined to forgive it though because its just so good!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
It's on in the morning over here, so I always record it and watch it Sunday night. After hearing about nothing but the election all day, it was nice to finish my weekend with this. Thanks, JAXA!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guess I need to watch this episode now because everything is spoilered!

So good :unsmith: http://i.imgur.com/VisaN.jpg

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2012

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Gotta have a bandaid on your forehead to be an astronaut on the moon.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I basically had the same reaction as Mutta's mom. LOL I did more than tear up it got some actual tears out of me. I'm going to be so sad when this show is over.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not much happened, but still a good episode.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The entire episode was getting to the press conference and then having it. I fully expected Mutta to reply with "Yay!" when they asked him to sum-up his feelings about being chosen as an astronaut in one word.

Leap up in the air and yell, "Yay!"

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed.

The texting from monkey-boy was pretty nice.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I liked the episode a lot.

Now I'm just worried about whatever that shiny thing is on the moon! They certainly make it glimmer like 6 times an episode lately.... :ohdear:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I liked the episode a lot.

Now I'm just worried about whatever that shiny thing is on the moon! They certainly make it glimmer like 6 times an episode lately.... :ohdear:
This is what he is seeing:

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'm not sure what a good stopping point will be for this show. It's only going to be 52 episodes right? I wish we could watch Mutta go all the way to Mars.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

The entire episode was getting to the press conference and then having it. I fully expected Mutta to reply with "Yay!" when they asked him to sum-up his feelings about being chosen as an astronaut in one word.

Leap up in the air and yell, "Yay!"

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed.

The texting from monkey-boy was pretty nice.

I honestly though he was gonna gently caress it up by saying something weird and awkward like 'Apo' or something. Being completely silly and giving no fucks is what Hibito does. Mutta is the striaght-man

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
Good episode this week.

There was a wide gap between episodes, and I was worried that the quality of the show might take a dive; but things are really starting to fall into place. The writers are taking these characters into a dark place this season. I can understand that they want to add some depth-- and maybe they went too far-- but in the holistic view, this episode made a real impact.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

There were a couple of spots in this episode where Mutta didn't look like Mutta. They drew him just slightly off. I didn't know silkworms were edible. This is the episode I've been dreading ever since I watched the trailer for the Space Brother movie. As soon as they both took their eyes off the "road", I knew what was going to happen.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Dan7el posted:

There were a couple of spots in this episode where Mutta didn't look like Mutta. They drew him just slightly off. I didn't know silkworms were edible. This is the episode I've been dreading ever since I watched the trailer for the Space Brother movie. As soon as they both took their eyes off the "road", I knew what was going to happen.

I didn't think it a good idea to have a fakeout first, only to have an actual accident for the same reason occur later on in the episode. I felt like you could excuse it happening the first time, but having it happen a second time just seemed like incompetence. I mean, if you almost die because you're driving across the moon too fast and can't judge distances properly, you would think someone might then be extremely careful and drive more slowly. It just weakened the impact of that final scene.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

On the contrary, I preferred the way it was actually played. If they fell in the first crater (or was it a chasm?), it would feel as if the author pulled something out of his rear end out of nowhere in order to create drama, but now it felt as if that was a real, actual threat that existed.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007
I liked the homage to Hajime no Ippo when Serika was trying to catch the falling petals :3. I'm really excited to see how the show amps up.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

It just weakened the impact of that final scene.

I could only shake my head. It's like texting and driving. :colbert:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rexides posted:

On the contrary, I preferred the way it was actually played.

I understand foreshadowing, but it was done poorly here. Perhaps something should have served this purpose in a previous episode or something? All I got from the episode was that it didn't seem like an "accident", but instead sheer incompetence. I understand that incredibly skilled people make mistakes all the time, but still. Hibito is supposed to be some wunderkind, and this happening in this manner didn't really fit. If you almost die from driving off a cliff too fast on the moon because you didn't know about a crater, you will a) check the geography for upcoming craters; b) be extremely attentive knowing that eyes are unreliable; c) slow the gently caress down. You don't just ignore the experience, learn nothing and then encounter the exact same problem 20 minutes later (only to actually drive off that time).

Foreshadowing so it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere might have been good (though accidents happen out of nowhere all the time). But it should have been from the experiences of another character, or someone noting it was an issue beforehand etc etc. As it is, the way it played just didn't make sense from our prior experience with the characters, and was just generally poor storytelling.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Most of the science in the show has strucked me as pretty believable but surely we have every last inch of the light side of the moon mapped out by now. They'd have some space tom tom to tell them the geography of the moon. I would have much more easily believed the twist if the ground had suddenly collapsed or something.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, yeah, but do they have any satellites in geolunostatic orbit for a gps device to work on the Moon?

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Well maybe not exactly GPS but at the very least they would have had detailed computer generated maps the could keep up where they were just by the distance they traveled from their current location. An old school pedometer could do that. We can do that easily now, let alone 20 years from now. Also, there's no way they would have went out there without an exactly set up route..

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Yeah, I have to agree that the setup for the accident seems a bit contrived.
Hey guys, it's NASA, listen, we lost our robot drone thing somewhere over on this bit of the moon, go over there and wander around for a few hours and try and find it for us why don't you?
Not forgetting that missions generally have pretty tight timetables during which important science things need to be done. For an idea of how tight these timetables were at one point check out Skylab 4

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode!

Hibito and Damian do not have the best of luck. Mostly worried about Hibito :ohdear:

Also, as a side note, show got somewhat sexist (kinda sad I called it to myself before it happened) when The astronauts decide to go out to rescue the 2 others and the one female has loving MEDICAL TRAINING but can't go because "If he needs to be picked up you need muscles!" and so only the men go. Then the show points out later on that Damian weighs no more than a little kid would, so that would be no problem at all as I doubt Hibito would weigh around the same, if not less. gently caress that. not a deal breaker, but kinda sad to see a show that is so good about always trying to shore up its minor characters and just completely throws the 2 female astronauts to the side.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I thought the way they treated the female astronauts was pretty lovely too. I could see the point being that there might not be a lot she could do on-site and they needed to keep her safe until they returned so she could treat anyone injured either in the rescue attempt or in the accident itself would be a reasonable answer.

Of course, the beetle looks like it could allow them to treat on-site, so that argument doesn't hold well, in my opinion.

Really, though, taking your best medical professional out on a dangerous mission might not be the best use of resources when you do, in fact, have useless muscle you can throw around first.

So, I can see some reasonableness toward the result. I just don't think they did a good job with their answers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, these last two episodes have been the worst in the series. This kind of incompetence just wouldn't happen in reality. If it did, those astronauts would never launch again. I mean, losing a transportation vehicle that undoubtedly cost millions upon millions of dollars to design, create and transport to the moon, AND having an accident that could very well result in the first on the moon casualty? Even if he survives, Hibito's career would be over forever.

I'm predicting next episode that Damian will sacrifice himself and give his tank to Hibito. Individually, their suits are busted. Together however, they can still provide for Hibito to survive.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Running seems like a great way to use up your oxygen even faster.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Shakugan posted:

Yeah, these last two episodes have been the worst in the series.

I wouldn't say that myself. They've been really good in my eyes, but I am also willing to completely suspend my disbelief for the sake of dramatic flair. There's definitely no way in hell this would ever happen, but it's still interesting to see how this all plays out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If an event in a story requires every character to suddenly turn into an idiot in order to happen, it is a dumb event and reflects poorly on the story as a whole.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

I wouldn't say that myself. They've been really good in my eyes, but I am also willing to completely suspend my disbelief for the sake of dramatic flair. There's definitely no way in hell this would ever happen, but it's still interesting to see how this all plays out.
Agreed. They're doing a good job giving us some nice drama here. Would these two highly-trained astronauts really have fallen into this crevasse/crater/whatever? Probably not. Even still, Hibito running behind the Gibson is the absolute stupidest thing he can do regarding conserving his air. I think the fact they're sending the Brian/oxygen generation robot thingy out to the accident site will end up being Hibito's salvation. Of course, Mutta will turn out to be correct about where Hibito is going. He's not as dumb as he looks.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Guys, keep in mind that this is the first time for Hibito on the actual Moon, and maybe even Brian hasn't done enough rides in the buggy to qualify as an expert moon-roamer. What happened was highly unlikely, but not impossible.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Good job ignoring your training that the mission planners are relying on you following in order to rescue you Hibito!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Serious Frolicking posted:

If an event in a story requires every character to suddenly turn into an idiot in order to happen, it is a dumb event and reflects poorly on the story as a whole.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a smart thing for them to end up in the crater and that happened kind of abrupt because it played out in the same episode (should have happened in the second episode) but everything after that I don't see Hibito acting like an idiot (except for running which would take more Oxygen), as he's following his goal of trying to make sure Damian makes it out alive instead of staying put and letting him die (as established that Damian would lose bodyheat way to quick where they were so he had to get him out into the sun).

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
They could possibly play it off as running on the moon isn't as strenuous as running on Earth. Probably doesn't take nearly the force, given the 1/6th gravity. And the rover thing may be pulling him a fair bit. You could think of the rover as a horse and he's a wagon, not really putting much energy into moving forward... he's just the wheels.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
You guys are going to have a hard time rationalizing this plotline next week when Hibito takes off his helmet and inflates like a balloon, floating off into the dark void with the words "gently caress OXYGEN" glimmering on his text display.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Between this, PlanetES and Kerbal space program, I'm on one hell of a space kick right now. No idea why Hibito is running behind the drone rover, seeing as if he trips he'll be getting dragged along face first across the harsh lunar surface, and not to mention the elevated oxygen usage. As Scott Manley says, fly safe. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, it was designed as an unmanned drone, not a passenger vehicle, it probably can't carry both of them.

• Locked thread