Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Indeed - that's why they don't sell 93 here. Husky and Petro-Canada have ethanol blended 94 however.

The STI also says you should put 93 in it and people are fine on 91.

There's ethanol in every Canadian fuel except Shell's V-Power 91 AFAIK.

What's the deal with Petro-Canada's Ultra 94? Is it really 94 octane because people are telling me it's "fake". The ethanol percentage is the most worrying factor for me honestly. I hear it's the main reason the fuel pump chirps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DerDestroyer posted:

There's ethanol in every Canadian fuel except Shell's V-Power 91 AFAIK.
Yes, but the Husky/Mohawk is ETBE base so I figured I would mention it (although I didn't do it well). I don't know anything about the new PCan 94 other than it's the same as the old Sunoco 94.

quote:

What's the deal with Petro-Canada's Ultra 94? Is it really 94 octane because people are telling me it's "fake". The ethanol percentage is the most worrying factor for me honestly. I hear it's the main reason the fuel pump chirps.
Buy the car.

If Californians and Albertans can tool around in it with their poo poo 91 I can guarantee you it's fine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 18, 2013

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

TrueChaos posted:

Calgary is up at 3500ft. You don't need 93, you'd be fine on 91.

Density of air at sea level - 1.27ish kg/m^3
Density of air at 1000m (~3500ft) - 1.05ish kg/m^3

I'm too lazy to check the actual numbers, those are my best guess based on what I remember from fluids courses. Basically, the density of the air is down somewhere around 15-20%, and correspondingly your compression will drop as well, resulting in lower octane requirements.

e: This assumes same air temperature & relative humidity is ~20C and 0%RH at both altitudes. Temperature plays a larger effect than RH.

I've always worked on 1% power loss per 100 metres above sea level, for NA cars.

I live 1650 metres above sea level and drive an S2000 :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've always worked on 1% power loss per 100 metres above sea level, for NA cars.

I live 1650 metres above sea level and drive an S2000 :(

You're good, 84% of zero is still zero, you aren't losing anything!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
True to form I am working on replacing all the speakers in the car with some mildly inexpensive Polk DBs. I've only managed to get the front ones installed and even then I think I am going to have to redo it to cut out the stock tweeter. Hopefully I'll have a write up on my experience with links to the places I got my information in the next few days. It's actually pretty simple once you know what to do.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Arizona is all 91 period, I doubt they'd sell the car in places with detrimental gas issues.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So, remember back when the "Mystery engine ping" was troubling a few toyobaru owners? Anyone willing to bet it was from using 87 instead of 93?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Fucknag posted:

You're good, 84% of zero is still zero, you aren't losing anything!

Don't even joke. It's bad enough that GTIs are outright faster, and even a newer Cooper S will give me a fright up to about 120km/h. They weight 100kg less and dyno 170whp, so the numbers make sense.

Strangely, a Toyota 86 was tested up here and did the 0-100km/h benchmark in 7.46, while achieving just about the same time down at the coast. This lends credence to the fuel quality issue, since we only have 95RON available across the country.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Costco has Super Sports 215 45R17 for 100/tire installed. I feel like this is a good price.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I spent some time today at Laguna Seca being chased by Robert Fuller (of Robispec) in a modded FR-S. It's surprising how quick the car is - would have been faster than mine (stockish Cayman S) if Robert hadn't had to lift on the exit of turn 5 due to his Borla exhaust blowing sound (98db).

He's designing a rear-mount turbo good for ~300 whp and will be bringing it around to various events in February for testing, so just putting it out there in case anyone's interested in this sort of thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sound limits at racetracks are still the stupidest goddamn thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Sound limits at racetracks are still the stupidest goddamn thing.

Well how was I supposed to know it was going to be loud before I moved right next to it? :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh gently caress you're right, I never though of it that way! Like, I moved next to this airport, right? And now what do I see? Fuckin' PLANES flying overhead at all hours of the day and night! They should really do something about that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Oh gently caress you're right, I never though of it that way! Like, I moved next to this airport, right? And now what do I see? Fuckin' PLANES flying overhead at all hours of the day and night! They should really do something about that.

Don't worry, there are noise abatement procedures at most airports even remotely near any kind of housing/commercial developments because jets making a lot of noise was a completely unforeseen issue with building next to it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
It must just be California housing prices that force people to buy house in the most ridiculous spots. Remember the Myth Busters episode where they fired a cannon at a bomb range and it ended up crashing through a residential neighborhood? Putting up with race cars seem kind of tame by comparison.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fknlo posted:

Don't worry, there are noise abatement procedures at most airports even remotely near any kind of housing/commercial developments because jets making a lot of noise was a completely unforeseen issue with building next to it.

Don't get me started on this poo poo. I work for a large aerospace manufacturing company that happens to have it's main manufacturing facility at an area municipal airport. Recently a group of locals flipped the gently caress out at the idea of a cargo company flying in and out up to four times a week. They even tired to claim it would interfere with our flight tests and delivery schedules!

Typical "my property values" assholes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rabble posted:

Right, I figured they all got it from the same place, my worry is that the dealer is a cheapass (where I bought it and where ill service are two different dealers) who bought a drum from billy bob's discount lube instead of doing the minimum of using actual Toyota branded bottles.

I'm confused. Did you already have an oil change? Oil fill is from the factory.

oRenj9 posted:

It must just be California housing prices that force people to buy house in the most ridiculous spots. Remember the Myth Busters episode where they fired a cannon at a bomb range and it ended up crashing through a residential neighborhood? Putting up with race cars seem kind of tame by comparison.

I worked right there for several years. It's not a "bomb range". It's Alameda county government property, with the jail, sheriff's, CHP facility, etc. there. That cannon ball traveled a very long distance in an unlikely fashion.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
My wife had to drive across Phoenix for three days straight for a job, so I let her borrow the FR-S while I drove her minivan in order to save on gas. When she was done the gauge read 34MPG average. Best car, time to get that back down. :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Don't get me started on this poo poo. I work for a large aerospace manufacturing company that happens to have it's main manufacturing facility at an area municipal airport. Recently a group of locals flipped the gently caress out at the idea of a cargo company flying in and out up to four times a week. They even tired to claim it would interfere with our flight tests and delivery schedules!

Typical "my property values" assholes.

Paine field? Boeing field?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

Paine field? Boeing field?

Paine Field. Seriously, we can handle a few more flights here.

Additionally, I've seen a white BRZ and a black FR-S in the parking lot. I'm hoping to add an orange FR-S to the collection in the next few months.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

OldPueblo posted:

My wife had to drive across Phoenix for three days straight for a job, so I let her borrow the FR-S while I drove her minivan in order to save on gas. When she was done the gauge read 34MPG average. Best car, time to get that back down. :getin:

The best part is that 6th is functional as a passing gear unlike some cars that cheat their MPG by making 6th basically useless unless you're at speed.

In other news, I'm 50 miles away from revving up to 7500 at every stoplight :getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How does that work with the low torque numbers, assuming you're passing at a highway speed in 6th.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Edit: I don't know poo poo about cars...Torque is a motorcycle movie and F&F taught me that I have to keep shifting well beyond the number of gears my car has in order to accelerate.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 23, 2013

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

How does that work with the low torque numbers, assuming you're passing at a highway speed in 6th.

The car passes fine under regular driving conditions on the highway in 6th (100 - 140 kph). You do start to hit the torque dip at 130 kph or so in 6th if I remember correctly but it still pulls.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bovril Delight posted:

Floor it and wait a second for the engine to rev up into the powerband (and watch your gas mileage drop to mid single digits momentarily)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deathreaper posted:

The car passes fine under regular driving conditions on the highway in 6th (100 - 140 kph). You do start to hit the torque dip at 130 kph or so in 6th if I remember correctly but it still pulls.

Why would you want your final gear to be able to execute a highway pass? That's either amazing torque, strange gearing, or you're really just being lazy and taking your life into your hands because there's never a good reason to overtake any slower than you absolutely have to. Or do you mean that it can accelerate in the final gear and overtake a car on a multi-lane highway (in other words, not into the oncoming lane)? Because that's not really an accomplishment either.

I just don't understand what point is being made here.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Jesus Christ, just downshift into 5th or 4th which quickly and easily puts you above the torque dip.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Why would you want your final gear to be able to execute a highway pass? That's either amazing torque, strange gearing, or you're really just being lazy and taking your life into your hands because there's never a good reason to overtake any slower than you absolutely have to. Or do you mean that it can accelerate in the final gear and overtake a car on a multi-lane highway (in other words, not into the oncoming lane)? Because that's not really an accomplishment either.

I just don't understand what point is being made here.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, just to clarify; the scenario I was explaining would only occur on a multi-lane highway. Indeed it's not an accomplishment but I assumed we were discussing passing on a regular highway (multi-lane for the most part where I live). Now on a country road or a smaller 1 lane highway; yea 4th or 5th is a must unless you have a deathwish.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
I've always been irked by videos of Clarkson describing "turbo lag" on a turbocharged car by putting the car into 6th and flooring it at 1500 rpm to show how slowly it accelerates.....

I mean, the turbo's got very little to do with it, a 2.0 L N/A and turbo variant of an engine with the same gearing (something like comparing a WRX to a std Impreza) are going to accelerate pretty similarly in the same situation. The only thing that's really going to give you great torque at just above idle speed is a big V8.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That's just not true. Sure, if you put a huge fuckoff turbo on a little four-banger it's going to need to rev to accomplish much. But the little turbos on modern I4s are pretty much all set up for low-end response and torque. Look at a GTI's or MS3's torque curve; there's scads more torque off idle and at normal cruising RPM than a comparable NA motor. That's also why automakers are getting away with replacing V-6s in their big sedans with smaller turbo fours.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ecstatic posted:

I've always been irked by videos of Clarkson describing "turbo lag" on a turbocharged car by putting the car into 6th and flooring it at 1500 rpm to show how slowly it accelerates.....

I mean, the turbo's got very little to do with it, a 2.0 L N/A and turbo variant of an engine with the same gearing (something like comparing a WRX to a std Impreza) are going to accelerate pretty similarly in the same situation. The only thing that's really going to give you great torque at just above idle speed is a big V8.

That's exactly what he means though? A "performance car" is usually going to have a turbo i4 or a v6 or v8, and the first one of those is going to have the least amount of torque at low RPMs when the cars are engineered to the same price level.

Since you compared a turbo engine to its N/A version, look at it this way: you are spending 3-10k possibly for the turbo, and there's <0 extra torque across a given (low) RPM range, so you paid extra money for worse performance (until you rev it).

This doesn't apply so much anymore, but it's dumb that you don't understand his point of view.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
It's not that I don't understand his point of view, it's that he's labeling a lack of low down torque as "turbo lag" and attributing it to the small engine with a big turbo. A Honda S2000 engine or a Renesis is still going to have the same issue and they are both performance cars.

Turbo lag is not a lack of torque at low rpm, its the time lag between the throttle opening and the torque produced by the engine, it happens at all engine speeds. Anti-lag doesn't magically put more torque in the curve at low rpm, it just reduces the time between the driver asking for torque and the engine delivering.

It all relates back to the discussion of overtaking....if its not accelerating, just drop a gear or two.

Ecstatic fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 24, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

While we're on the topic, are there any goons that have driven a turbo FR-S / BRZ? How is it versus a stock model?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ecstatic posted:

It's not that I don't understand his point of view, it's that he's labeling a lack of low down torque as "turbo lag" and attributing it to the small engine with a big turbo. A Honda S2000 engine or a Renesis is still going to have the same issue and they are both performance cars.

Turbo lag is not a lack of torque at low rpm, its the time lag between the throttle opening and the torque produced by the engine, it happens at all engine speeds. Anti-lag doesn't magically put more torque in the curve at low rpm, it just reduces the time between the driver asking for torque and the engine delivering.

It all relates back to the discussion of overtaking....if its not accelerating, just drop a gear or two.

Your explanation is spot on. People don't realise that's what lag is, and just mistake turbo spooling and reaching boost threshold as "lag".

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 24, 2013

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
So the 2014 Subaru Forester gets a redesign and an XT model with a 250hp turbocharged FA20. Car and Driver is already hoping/speculating that engine gets into the BRZ.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DerDestroyer posted:

So the 2014 Subaru Forester gets a redesign and an XT model with a 250hp turbocharged FA20. Car and Driver is already hoping/speculating that engine gets into the BRZ.

They've already said no due to turbo plumbing. New BRZ STi is coming soon, with hp boost but no turbo.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

They've already said no due to turbo plumbing. New BRZ STi is coming soon, with hp boost but no turbo.

I'm calling bullshit on that line, it doesn't take this long to slap an exhaust, new suspensions bits, and an aero package onto a car. Especially when it's the OEM tuning house that's had the car for longer than anyone else. Turbo is coming because turbos already exist for the motor. If the STI version doesn't have at least a small turbo people will scoff and say "it's not a real STI, where's the boost?"

Speaking of the 2014 model, it will be interesting to see what directions Toyota and Subaru go with their development of the platform. Supposedly they don't have any sort of agreement past the 2013 model year, but it would naive to think that either side could stray too far. If anything, Subaru has more latitude because its their motor in their chassis being built in their factory. It would be hilarious if the car only lasts a few years only to fall apart due to corporate politics.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Here's Road & Track's coverage of the '14 engineering prototype:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2014-scion-fr-s-coupe-engineering-prototype

Car and Driver's article on the info available for the convertible model:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-scion-fr-s-toyota-gt-86-convertible-rendered-news

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Rabble posted:

I'm calling bullshit on that line, it doesn't take this long to slap an exhaust, new suspensions bits, and an aero package onto a car. Especially when it's the OEM tuning house that's had the car for longer than anyone else. Turbo is coming because turbos already exist for the motor. If the STI version doesn't have at least a small turbo people will scoff and say "it's not a real STI, where's the boost?"

I'm inclined to agree with this. At this point, it would be utterly ridiculous for Subaru to not offer a turbocharged version. They already have all the parts necessary to build one and they can justify charging north of $30k for one because they know people will pay it. I think they are just holding out long enough to fill current demand before announcing a turbocharged variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oRenj9 posted:

I'm inclined to agree with this. At this point, it would be utterly ridiculous for Subaru to not offer a turbocharged version. They already have all the parts necessary to build one and they can justify charging north of $30k for one because they know people will pay it. I think they are just holding out long enough to fill current demand before announcing a turbocharged variant.

Maintaining the product range is a real thing. The same reason you don't see Porsche making a faster version of the Cayman beyond a certain point in case it steps on the Carrera's toes. The WRX and STi replacements are in active development right now, and they are a big deal. Moving engineering resources to a car that will directly compete with the WRX and STi in both price and performance would be a dumb move. Between those two models, there is very little room for a turbo BRZ to fit in without moving something into silly price territory where Subaru cannot compete. And this is ignoring whatever the exact terms of the deal they have with Toyota are.

Also, it's been said that there absolutely isn't room for a turbo without significant re-engineering. A supercharger was explored but was rejected because, again, it will conflict with the WRX/STi in their model range and on top of that would require a bunch of new engineering for stuff that can't be used on anything else, which Subaru is probably loathe to do considering that they are still a small automaker with limited resources.

• Locked thread