Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

4liters posted:

Nah, Hughes is actually good.

All that poo poo technique and no feet movement arent a problem once the slips are gone. He's not crap against spinners.

His FC limited overs stats are actually very good - I doubt he's got more than an off / on test career but ODI and T20, he'll do pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

4liters posted:

Much better, no shame in coming second to a talent like Hughes.

betterthanbradman.jpg

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wow Cook was sawn off again. You can't call it poor umpiring anymore, it's pure bias.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

All that poo poo technique and no feet movement arent a problem once the slips are gone. He's not crap against spinners.

His FC limited overs stats are actually very good - I doubt he's got more than an off / on test career but ODI and T20, he'll do pretty well.

He'll have a long test career because the rest of our batsmen are even worse :cripes:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sri Lanka will win this

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Good spoonboy.

Hughes, now Johnson. It's good to see a couple of unfairly treated players show what they're capable of.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lionel RichTea posted:

Wow Cook was sawn off again. You can't call it poor umpiring anymore, it's pure bias.

They're too busy looking at his lovely eyes.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Why isn't Finn used as the death bowler?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lol Gambhir why don't you ask for a review if you didn't hit it you dumb motherfuckre?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

notaspy posted:

Why isn't Finn used as the death bowler?

They need some excuse to keep bringing Jade Dernbach.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Wouldn't a full strength England include Broad and Swann, thus making a few loose overs not so much of a problem?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lionel RichTea posted:

I would care more if we hadn't already won the bit that matters*

*making every antipodean scared of us

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

notaspy posted:

Wouldn't a full strength England include Broad and Swann, thus making a few loose overs not so much of a problem?

Swann maybe, Broad nowadays is a bit like Bad Harmison.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

4liters posted:

Lol Gambhir why don't you ask for a review if you didn't hit it you dumb motherfuckre?

Because India are corrupt and since they cant control the DRS makers they dont use it.

Why is Dernbach still bowling, I'd prefer Ian Bells medium pace trundlers to his spray and pray attitude.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Raina's scoring 2 a ball off him. He should just gently caress right off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Raina's scoring 2 a ball off him. He should just gently caress right off.

Of the three seamers we've played, he's double the economy rate with 0 wickets. You can defend being a bit expensive if you're picking up wickets, but he's literally unable to bowl a consistent line.

With how expensive he's been Cooks brought Finn and Bresnan back, which means Dernbach is going to be the death bowler with patel/tredwell.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
FFS finn's just had a wicket and knocked the stumps over I thought he'd stopped doing that

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Finn is a liability until he can fix his delivery. It's not hard to start 6" wider.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Little Joe Root will save us.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Jade 'most expensive bowler in ODI history' Dernbach

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The senior bowlers have let him down. When little Joey Root is crying to his mam, they will bear the weight of the shame.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Looked at Jade's figures on cricinfo. Saw "2.83" for his ODI figures and thought "that can't be right, maybe he had a run of really really efficient games at some point"

But that is, of course, his batting average.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

High score of 5

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

To be fair to Dernbach his economy rate of 6.21 today is under his career economy rate of 6.28.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Lionel RichTea posted:

To be fair to Dernbach his economy rate of 6.21 today is under his career economy rate of 6.28.

Surely he should be knighted for his noble and valiant efforts

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I used to defend Dernbach, and was convinced he'd put it all together. No longer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is Liam Plunkett any good? He got a gig at my old club.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He used to be thought of as quite promising but dropped off the radar. Probably ruined by that phase the England coaches had of changing everyone's actions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel RichTea posted:

He used to be thought of as quite promising but dropped off the radar. Probably ruined by that phase the England coaches had of changing everyone's actions.

He had a really good off cutter that batsmen always thought was slower than it really was.

Then he had it coached out of him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chris Woakes is in the Test squad for the New Zealand games.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I suppose if there's one place where some medium pace dobber with a bit of "nibble" might not be completely worthless it's New Zealand.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

4liters posted:

Is Liam Plunkett any good? He got a gig at my old club.

England always used to pick him in one of the old ea cricket games

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TANGERINE CHANDERPAUL

16 years old your first class debut? When you're actually as old as your birth certificate says? Is that young, or is it just me?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

If he's good enough, he could conceivably play alongside his dad in the West Indies test team. A father and son playing in a test match together surely has to be a first.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Dave Hussey has been dropped for Aaron Finch for the first two West Indies games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

Chris Woakes is in the Test squad for the New Zealand games.

He has replaced Bresnan and I suppose he couldn't be any worse than him.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Scylo posted:

Dave Hussey has been dropped for Aaron Finch for the first two West Indies games.

I see Superstar Glen Maxwell is still in the side after doing sweet gently caress all.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goatface posted:

TANGERINE CHANDERPAUL

16 years old your first class debut? When you're actually as old as your birth certificate says? Is that young, or is it just me?

I'm a big fan of the Shiv, but there's really no excuse for giving your kid a name like that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

kingturnip posted:

I'm a big fan of the Shiv, but there's really no excuse for giving your kid a name like that.

His name is actually Tagenarine, which is no weirder than Shivnarine to me and is probably quite normal in Guyana.

As far as father and son playing together in the same test, I know Lance Cairns' final test was 4 years before Chris Cairns' first, doubt there'd be a closer example than that.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Guptill has been utterly abysmal since his knock in the T20. Wtf is he even doing out there. Don't let the bloke open at least.

• Locked thread