Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Welp, one of my "pullets" started crowing thismorning. Now they are both in the laundry until a more reasonable hour, and neither one is very happy. Guess it's off to the hardware store later to get some soundproofing material for a roo-box, if this is gonna keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'm in Switzerland. I know of other Swiss breeds, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Barthühner for instance, that are available in the U.S, but I don't think the Schweizerhühner are, they're relatively rare. Franky, I'm not the biggest fan of white chickens, but I chose these because they can't fly at all (unlike the Barthühner), they're bred for this region so I don't really have to worry about frostbite and heaters and what not, and they're hybrid chickens, so once they stop laying their 200ish eggs per year, I could, in theory, process and eat them, which I now realize I'll never, ever be able to do. It snowed a shitload today so they seem pretty pissed off and spent the whole day in the coop, but I'll take more pictures soon enough and I'll post them.

Can you dye them with Koolaid for me please?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
All this time I thought I had boring white chickens! I'm so happy that people think they're pretty! :3:

I have what I hope are three hens, if one or more are roosters, I'll just trade for hens at my local farmer.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Armed Neutrality posted:

All this time I thought I had boring white chickens! I'm so happy that people think they're pretty! :3:

I have what I hope are three hens, if one or more are roosters, I'll just trade for hens at my local farmer.

I want to squeeze at least one of them. :3: They just look so holdable.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Armed Neutrality posted:

It's so UNFAIR! You folks in the UK have all the interesting and beautiful chickens. Yes, we have chickens here in the US but as Nettle Soup's Flora (rip Flora) she was more beautiful than any Buff Orpington I've seen here. I guess in the UK they are more particular about breeding standards and stuff? Here in the US more focused on egg/meat production. I tried to read info about your hens, they live to be 15 years! Tim the Enchanter has the BEST Cochins and Silkies that I've ever seen! Poultry show coming up in March! Hope there are more varieties than just the Modern Game skinny chickens!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

piscesbobbie posted:

It's so UNFAIR! You folks in the UK have all the interesting and beautiful chickens. Yes, we have chickens here in the US but as Nettle Soup's Flora (rip Flora) she was more beautiful than any Buff Orpington I've seen here. I guess in the UK they are more particular about breeding standards and stuff? Here in the US more focused on egg/meat production. I tried to read info about your hens, they live to be 15 years! Tim the Enchanter has the BEST Cochins and Silkies that I've ever seen! Poultry show coming up in March! Hope there are more varieties than just the Modern Game skinny chickens!

Armed Neutrality is in Switzerland. :ssh:

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'm in Switzerland. I know of other Swiss breeds, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Barthühner for instance, that are available in the U.S, but I don't think the Schweizerhühner are, they're relatively rare.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Armed Neutrality posted:

The chicken on the far left has an internet meme face. Call it Accusing Chicken, or something.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

GabrielAisling posted:

The chicken on the far left has an internet meme face. Call it Accusing Chicken, or something.

My henhoe Dust made the same face right before she pecked my eye and gave me a corneal abrasion :saddowns:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Chido posted:

My henhoe Dust made the same face right before she pecked my eye and gave me a corneal abrasion :saddowns:

I can't recall if she was appropriately punished by being forced to wear silly outfits. Or do you only dress up Roo?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

GabrielAisling posted:

I can't recall if she was appropriately punished by being forced to wear silly outfits. Or do you only dress up Roo?

Well...

The eye incident happened after the fashion show. If Dust had had a cellphone she would have thrown it at me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Hi, not sure if this is the place to ask but I can't find any other chicken threads so this will have to do. Does anyone know the standards Poulet de Bresse AOC producers need to adhere to when they raise their chickens? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

4liters posted:

Hi, not sure if this is the place to ask but I can't find any other chicken threads so this will have to do. Does anyone know the standards Poulet de Bresse AOC producers need to adhere to when they raise their chickens? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dumb question, but did you read wikipedia about them? There seems to be a decent amount of info there. I think, at least in Switzerland, AOC is a regional distinction, like Gruyere, meaning you can't make/raise and label AOC products outside of the approved region. Thanks for bringing it up, I'm going to have try one of these chickens.

And now, my daughter feeding the wrong end of one of our chickens:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

4liters posted:

I did a google search using this from your post --the standards Poulet de Bresse AOC producers need to adhere to when they raise their chickens--, and found this:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Marketing/Specialty_chicken.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulet_de_Bresse

http://www.pouletbresse.com/ang.pdf

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

If Dust had had a cellphone she would have thrown it at me.

Dust needed a little pearl necklace to wear! She does look rather grumpy though. She was already plotting her revenge!

Armed Neutrality posted:

my daughter feeding the wrong end of one of our chickens:

Haha! So adorable, but the kid needs to learn that food goes in the other end! :D

Both of these pics made me laugh. I love the photos posted in this thread! :3:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Chido posted:

Well...

Now that is a gorgeous chicken-frock!

And that's just :3: as hell!

So this weekend I got some more hens to buff up my flock, since my lovely Polish pullet has decided he is a cockerel (which sort of sucks, since I'm in a suburban area and we're only allowed to keep cocks so long as the neighbours don't complain).

Anyway! One of my new hens is an absolutely gorgeous white silky. She's a very calm little thing, but hoo boy, she has a certain barnyard stank about her. Do silkies just have stanky booties, or is there any sort of wash I can give her to get her odour down?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

MissEchelon posted:

One of my new hens is an absolutely gorgeous white silky. She's a very calm little thing, but hoo boy, she has a certain barnyard stank about her. Do silkies just have stanky booties, or is there any sort of wash I can give her to get her odour down?

Could your hen have parts of an egg stuck up in or around her vent area? I saw a video on Youtube of a lady bathing a hen and washing out her vent (which had some egg and shell in it). Can anyone remember that video? Someone posted a link to the video here in the past four months. If anything the video would show you the proper way to calmly bathe a hen.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Inveigle posted:

Could your hen have parts of an egg stuck up in or around her vent area? I saw a video on Youtube of a lady bathing a hen and washing out her vent (which had some egg and shell in it). Can anyone remember that video? Someone posted a link to the video here in the past four months. If anything the video would show you the proper way to calmly bathe a hen.

She just has a very strong barn smell, which makes sense, since I just got her from a farm. I think the smell will fade in time, but since I want to pet her all the time and she smells much stronger than my existing chooks, I wondered if there was any way to bring it down. I am totally looking up that youtube video though, thanks!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

MissEchelon posted:

She just has a very strong barn smell, which makes sense, since I just got her from a farm. I think the smell will fade in time, but since I want to pet her all the time and she smells much stronger than my existing chooks, I wondered if there was any way to bring it down. I am totally looking up that youtube video though, thanks!

Perhaps Tim the Enchanter will post and share some chicken bathing tips. Tim is an Expert at chicken bathing as he owns many show birds that he has to prepare for beautiful chicken competitions.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

If you're just wanting to get rid of some chicken stank run some fairly warm water over her to get her thoroughly wet then massage baby shampoo into her feathers and rinse her off. Dont run her head under the water directly and be gentle around the crest,Silkies have a hole in their skull at the top under the skin so just gently rub water in the crest and apply some shampoo with your finger tips then massage more water in to rinse the crest.

Repeat as necessary to to rid yourself of funky chicken smell. If it's cold outside set up a box with a light down close to the top so she will dry out. Silkies just retain odors better than hard feather breeds and they love finding poop to wallow in.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido, that photo series is like a time lapse of 'pissed outrage & revenge planning'...first she looks down at the dress, then at YOU...serious eye damage was inevitable.

Silkies seem to take to being bathed a lot easier than other breeds. I've dried mine (after first sopping up the amazing amount of water they hold) using towels, then a hair dryer set on 'low', just keep the dryer moving and keep one hand near the area being dried to make sure you don't burn tender chickie skin. :)

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Hi guys, I haven't posted in the thread in a while, but I finally got some time now that the holidays are over.
How about a few pics of my Wheaten Marans? They're finally seven months old and we're started to get some wonderful dark dark eggs! I tried hanging an apple from a string to get them all in place to catch some good profiles, and it worked!

We think they are beautiful and we are going to be putting some eggs in the incubator the first week of February.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I like your feeder! I've got to try that thing with the apple...so far my chickens don't seem very interested in vegetables/salad/etc.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

You can also use a small head of lettuce or cabbage to make a chicken piñata. If you used a drill (and drilled through the cob) you could even hang up an ear of corn. :)

Bantaras -- Your Wheaten chickens are gorgeous! What part of the U.S. are you in? I wonder if people posting in this thread would want to try to trade some eggs this year?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Chido posted:

I did a google search using this from your post --the standards Poulet de Bresse AOC producers need to adhere to when they raise their chickens--, and found this:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Marketing/Specialty_chicken.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulet_de_Bresse

http://www.pouletbresse.com/ang.pdf

Armed Neutrality posted:

Dumb question, but did you read wikipedia about them? There seems to be a decent amount of info there. I think, at least in Switzerland, AOC is a regional distinction, like Gruyere, meaning you can't make/raise and label AOC products outside of the approved region. Thanks for bringing it up, I'm going to have try one of these chickens.

Yeah I had found these during my search, thanks though. I was hoping for some specifics such as feeding regimes, shed/coop design, pasture maintenance, anything really. My boss wants to replicate the process as closely as possible. Oh well, maybe I can convince him to send me to France and work on one of the farms for a month or so.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

4liters posted:

Yeah I had found these during my search, thanks though. I was hoping for some specifics such as feeding regimes, shed/coop design, pasture maintenance, anything really. My boss wants to replicate the process as closely as possible. Oh well, maybe I can convince him to send me to France and work on one of the farms for a month or so.

Tell your boss that is is crucial that you go to France to learn about those chickens! Take a camera and post photos and anecdotes for everyone to enjoy! :)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Repeat as necessary to to rid yourself of funky chicken smell. If it's cold outside set up a box with a light down close to the top so she will dry out. Silkies just retain odors better than hard feather breeds and they love finding poop to wallow in.

I thought the part about poo was a joke, or at least an exaggeration, but then I came home today to find my Silkie covered in poo

So uh

Thanks for all the chicken-washing tips, guys! Cripes.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Bantaras posted:

Hi guys, I haven't posted in the thread in a while, but I finally got some time now that the holidays are over.
How about a few pics of my Wheaten Marans? They're finally seven months old and we're started to get some wonderful dark dark eggs! I tried hanging an apple from a string to get them all in place to catch some good profiles, and it worked!

We think they are beautiful and we are going to be putting some eggs in the incubator the first week of February.

We desperately need video of the apple bobbing contest. :keke: Beautiful birds!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MissEchelon posted:

I thought the part about poo was a joke, or at least an exaggeration, but then I came home today to find my Silkie covered in poo

So uh

Thanks for all the chicken-washing tips, guys! Cripes.

When you're dumb and fluffy your only defense option is to look and smell like poop.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tim the Enchanter posted:

When you're dumb and fluffy your only defense option is to look and smell like poop.

...and impersonate a snowball. A snowball with a beak.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Inveigle posted:

Bantaras -- Your Wheaten chickens are gorgeous! What part of the U.S. are you in? I wonder if people posting in this thread would want to try to trade some eggs this year?

We're in Florida!
I'll keep you guys posted on how well it goes with the first hatching. We gotta confirm the fertility of my Roo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bantaras posted:

We're in Florida!
I'll keep you guys posted on how well it goes with the first hatching. We gotta confirm the fertility of my Roo.

What part of florida? I will take your eggs and make sandwiches out of them.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Bantaras posted:

They are very beautiful! I love those combs! Are they flopped over to one side? Your rooster is very impressive looking! Thank you for sharing the great photos.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nooooo! I want to see cute Wheaten chicks!

Bantaras needs to get a webcam too! ;)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I'll second that webcam request, pretty please?!? :worship:

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Inveigle posted:

I wonder if people posting in this thread would want to try to trade some eggs this year?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Here's a few of our marans eggs contrasted by a couple of our Red Star's eggs. (the two light ones) The Red Stars are just a normal laying hybrid brown egg like you would get in the grocery store.

The two light ones are what I called 'brown' until I saw what Marans could do.
Also, Marans are the only eggs 007 will eat so there ya go.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I’m so confused and a bit hurt by my downstairs neighbors. I’m now getting about 2 or 3 eggs a day so I gave them half a dozen. They gave them back to me. I didn’t realize it, but they somehow convinced themselves that my chickens are disease bombs because I have 13 of them and they make poo poo, and somehow chicken poo poo is like poison. All they can picture is eggs coming out of the chickens butt out of the same hole poo poo comes out of.

I can’t figure it out. In the space where I have 13 there would be at least 1000 battery chickens stuffed into cages 10 deep breathing air so full of ammonia it’s toxic, and everything would probably be kept going by poorly paid undocumented workers. And they are still coming out of chicken butts.

It reminds me of my ex who wouldn’t eat carrots that came from my garden because he saw me pulling them out of dirt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I’m so confused and a bit hurt by my downstairs neighbors. I’m now getting about 2 or 3 eggs a day so I gave them half a dozen. They gave them back to me. I didn’t realize it, but they somehow convinced themselves that my chickens are disease bombs because I have 13 of them and they make poo poo, and somehow chicken poo poo is like poison. All they can picture is eggs coming out of the chickens butt out of the same hole poo poo comes out of.

I can’t figure it out. In the space where I have 13 there would be at least 1000 battery chickens stuffed into cages 10 deep breathing air so full of ammonia it’s toxic, and everything would probably be kept going by poorly paid undocumented workers. And they are still coming out of chicken butts.

It reminds me of my ex who wouldn’t eat carrots that came from my garden because he saw me pulling them out of dirt.

A lot of people are really removed from how we get our food and the idea of how, say, those carrots get from the garden to their plate does not matter to them (they do not want to hear about it and it's probably gross to them) as long as it's there when they want it. And people don't trust home grown stuff a lot because it doesn't come in a fancy box or carton from the grocery store, which is totally safe all the time don't you know?

:shobon: I think you did a nice thing.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Wow, what tools! I hate how people are so far removed from their food. I remember being 16, working at KFC, and having to explain to my older stepsister that no, the chickens did now grow like cabbages in rows without heads or feathers. :pwn:

I've had similar reactions to my spotty little quail eggs, sadly. I've found the best trick is to just cook them or cook something with them in it and gift THAT and let them know after the fact like "oh yeah, I'm glad you liked it! I used fresh eggs from my pet quail!" Tiny fried eggs and my pumpkin pie were both hits in that respect.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Zeta Taskforce posted:

WHAT! They are IDIOTS! JEEZ - I would be grateful for 'homegrown' eggs! Some people are just ignorant. They don't appreciate how lucky they WERE to receive fresh eggs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You might point out to them that at least chicken poop can be used as fertilizer. Dog and cat poop are toxic and can't. So, chicken poop is actually okay and was probably used to fertilize some of the vegetables that they eat. So many people are so ignorant. :(