Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There was at least the perception that, in 2008, Hillary was more hawk-ish than Obama. I think that perception has long since left almost anyone who has been paying even the slightest bit of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

notthegoatseguy posted:

There was at least the perception that, in 2008, Hillary was more hawk-ish than Obama. I think that perception has long since left almost anyone who has been paying even the slightest bit of attention.

I think that perception might have been fueled by Hillary going out of her way to look as hawkish as possible and running ads smearing Obama as soft and unable to make The Tough Decisions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We (you) might also have had a public option, depending on whether you attribute the abandonment of the idea to Rahm and premature sugar-coating.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Ogmius815 posted:

I think that perception might have been fueled by Hillary going out of her way to look as hawkish as possible and running ads smearing Obama as soft and unable to make The Tough Decisions.

Who could forget the brilliant "3 AM phone call" ad,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yr7odFUARg

which made it clear to everyone, that no one was more qualified to answer the phone than Hillary Clinton... wait, what?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ufarn posted:

We (you) might also have had a public option, depending on whether you attribute the abandonment of the idea to Rahm and premature sugar-coating.

Prior to joining the Obama White House, Rahm Emanuel was closer to the Clintons than he was to Obama. He would have likely ended up a senior adviser either way.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joementum posted:

The biggest policy difference between Hillary and Obama is that she thought an individual healthcare mandate would be necessary and he was opposed to the idea.

Look at how well that one turned out for us!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Biden and Cuomo might both be used car salesmen, but Biden would sell me a clean 'vette and Cuomo would hawk nothing but the same Plymouth Acclaim with sawdust in the gearbox and a leaky oil pan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Kerry is currently quoting Henry Kissinger in his Senate confirmation hearings :ironicat:

You can watch them here: http://www.c-span.org/Events/Confirmation-Hearing-for-Sen-John-Kerry-as-Secretary-of-State/10737437516/

edit: Oops, meant this for the transition thread.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Edit: nevermind

Dr. Tough fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 24, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Looooove it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Looks like Christie is going to get some of that Silicon Valley dough:

quote:

"Mark and Priscilla have worked closely with Governor Christie on education reform in the Newark school system," said Sarah Feinberg, a spokesperson for Facebook. "They admire his leadership on education reform and other issues and look forward to continuing their important work together on behalf of Newark's schoolchildren. Mark and Priscilla are happy to host him at their home to support his reelection."

~ http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/mark-zuckerberg-will-hold-fundraiser-for-chris-chr

Chris Christie: "a leader on education reform". Wonder if the unionized teachers agree.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Looooove it

Guessing this is the front page of FoxNation's website?

Oh, wait...it's not racist enough. Probably just Fox proper.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Alter Ego posted:

This made me curious what FoxNation's take was, and I had to post this because this was their lead splash:

:v:

Clinton stuff was buried in the page:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know, it has a subtle "women are stupid" feel to it with the "just don't add up" part.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Azram Legion posted:

Thanks! I couldn't figure out if they were honest compliments, or the kind of underhanded "... because then a black guy wouldn't be president!" I've come to expect from republicans. Guess they were sort of both, really.

Realistically though, besides how the right has reacted, would things look very different if Clinton had won? I realize that is impossible to really answer in detail, but I mean in the broader sense - did she run on a significantly different platform?

Clintonites tended to be even more skeptical about pushing legislation through congress. It's conceivable the stimulus bill might have been even smaller.

OTOH, the Clintons have more experience pushing things through congress, and they might have been able to push through a stronger health care bill and cap and trade legislation. And they would have probably done a better job selling it.

Maybe the biggest change would be that the 2010 election disaster may not have happened. That hosed us for years to come.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 24, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
By the way, I'd totally support John Kerry if he ran again. I think he's been unfairly tarnished by his 2004 run, which I think was handled better than commonly perceived. At the very least he probably learned from his mistakes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to see Franken run, but that's sooooo not gonna happen.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

If only for the debates.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Maybe the biggest change would be that the 2010 election disaster may not have happened. That hosed us for years to come.
I suspect the 2010 election probably would have turned out largely the same no matter what, and that it could very well happen again in 2014 if the Dems don't figure out how to get their base to turn out for off-year elections.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Franken keeps popping up in Iowa so I wouldn't totally count it out, although so does Klobuchar. It's nice to have the neighboring state excuse.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'd be really bothered by his reliance on his entertainment industry donors, though. He was a part of the whole SOPA/PIPA thing for instance.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone have a good summary of Secretary Clinton's testimony at the Benghazi hearing?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Armyman25 posted:

Anyone have a good summary of Secretary Clinton's testimony at the Benghazi hearing?

Senators: "What the hell?"
Clinton: "We messed up, but we tried real hard, and we're sorry things seemed so confusing. We don't like that people got killed. We're still trying hard to fix things."
Rand Paul, John McCain: "gently caress you."

Here's CNN's live blog of the hearing from yesterday:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/clinton-faces-grilling-on-benghazi-attack/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Armyman25 posted:

:colbert:"You aren't taking enough responsibility for Benghazi!"
:crossarms:"I've taken full responsibility for Benghazi from the beginning."
:colbert:"Both you and Obama need to get down on your knees and grovel to America!"
:crossarms:"I'm not going to do that."
:colbert:"Alright, well then you need to give us a vicarious play by play of exactly how everyone died, and what their last words were, and who killed them, and why the attackers fired, and what they were doing before they attacked."
:crossarms:"You're a terrible person."
:colbert:"See Fox News! This is why I should be president!"

It really doesn't get any more in-depth than that. The whole thing is a political stunt that's based on Clinton being "weak on terror".

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 24, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks!

I'm watching it on C-Span's website and it's pretty painful to sit through.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Aatrek posted:

Senators: "What the hell?"
Clinton: "We messed up, but we tried real hard, and we're sorry things seemed so confusing. We don't like that people got killed. We're still trying hard to fix things."
Rand Paul, John McCain: "gently caress you."

Here's CNN's live blog of the hearing from yesterday:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/clinton-faces-grilling-on-benghazi-attack/

Kaal posted:

:colbert:"You aren't taking enough responsibility for Benghazi!"
:crossarms:"I've taken full responsibility for Benghazi from the beginning."
:colbert:"Both you and Obama need to get down on your knees and grovel to America!"
:crossarms:"I'm not going to do that."
:colbert:"Alright, well then you need to give us a vicarious play by play of exactly how everyone died, and what their last words were, and who killed them, and why the attackers fired, and what they were doing before they attacked."
:crossarms:"You're a terrible person."
:colbert:"See Fox News! This is why I should be president!"

It really doesn't get any more in-depth than that. The whole thing is a political stunt that's based on Clinton being "weak on terror".

And then various republicans rush to Fox News to say Clinton was deranged and faking her grief over the deaths of people she'd worked with personally.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Joementum posted:

I'm interested to see if anyone will use his comments about the OBL raid against him. He thought it was a bad idea and advised Obama not to do it.

This seems like it could easily be turned around in Biden's favor, something like "I felt that in 2008 I was prepared to be President, but now after eight years with Obama, I've learned a great deal and feel like I am more prepared than ever." He doesn't even have to mention OBL. He's already been talking that event up in his 2012 speeches, so I think he'd be prepared to throw it back in anyone's face should they confront him about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Trast posted:

And then various republicans rush to Fox News to say Clinton was deranged and faking her grief over the deaths of people she'd worked with personally.

I'm waiting to see if any right-wing commentators or interviewees describe her as "hysterical." That'd be the best/worst.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgWH89qWks

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Franken keeps popping up in Iowa so I wouldn't totally count it out, although so does Klobuchar. It's nice to have the neighboring state excuse.

Not happening any time soon, if ever (and I doubt ever). Franken shows up in Iowa because its close and because Harkin is there and is in cycle now - Franken does a lot of fundraising for other Democratic Senators, since he's a better draw than most of the rest of them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kalman posted:

Not happening any time soon, if ever (and I doubt ever). Franken shows up in Iowa because its close and because Harkin is there and is in cycle now - Franken does a lot of fundraising for other Democratic Senators, since he's a better draw than most of the rest of them.

Franken's a 61 year old senator with high name recognition, good popularity amongst Democrats, and strong fundraising. He probably will end up not running at the end of the day because a lot more people think about running than actually do end up running, but he's absolutely going to think about it at some point in the next two and a half years, because everyone in his position does.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Looooove it

Whoa, she's really nearsighted.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Azram Legion posted:

Could you guys give some context for those quotes, for those of us that don't follow US politics (as) closely? I'm having a hard time understanding exactly why they'd say that - what the angle is, so to say.

Aside from everything mentioned above, Barack Obama is a black man. This doesn't go over well with some members of Congress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa, she's really nearsighted.

She's in her mid 60's.

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
She was wearing "special glasses" because of "lingering issues" due to the concussion, i.e. double vision.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Kodiak posted:

Prior to joining the Obama White House, Rahm Emanuel was closer to the Clintons than he was to Obama. He would have likely ended up a senior adviser either way.
He was in the Clinton camp until sometime during the primaries - maybe the beginning? I forget exactly when. I recall this because I was bitching about not sending the same group of Clintonite DLC types to DC again and pointing to Rahm as an example. Then he joined Obama's campaign and Obama went to DC and he turned out to be pretty much exactly a new kind of DLC type. I gave up on American Presidential politics entirely. The end.

So, yeah, Rahm was playing the fairweather game and as soon as it was clear to him which horse had a better shot, he switched from Clintonite allegiance mode to Chicago allegiance mode, all of which are disguises for Rahm allegiance mode.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh lord. It's poo poo like this why Pierce calls Politico Tigerbeat on the Potomac.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I've highlighted my favorite part of that article.

quote:

The outgoing-secretary of state — rumored to be considering a 2016 run of her own — and Obama will tape the interview at the White House with CBS News’s Steve Kroft, sources told POLITICO’s Mike Allen.

There are rumors that Hillary will run in 2016? Oh go on, Politico! :allears:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Oh lord. It's poo poo like this why Pierce calls Politico Tigerbeat on the Potomac.

Politico REALLY hates Joe Biden.

Personally, I don't know how or why--even if you're not the biggest fan of his politics, Joe's an unimpeachably good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Politico REALLY hates Joe Biden.

Personally, I don't know how or why--even if you're not the biggest fan of his politics, Joe's an unimpeachably good person.
Well, he's fallible like everyone else, but he's probably the best politician on women's issues and a huge ally of LGBT rights.

• Locked thread