Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Just playing around with it honestly. I noticed it got cheaper the second time through, but even then none of them are really worth it. The handout rate of gems in this is kinda painfully slow. :(

The trick is to ONLY get the magnet upgrade (and the one that makes the double/triple gems show up earlier). Anything else just means there's a chance the upcoming power up isn't a magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dewgy posted:

I'm noticing. It's pretty in a way that reminds me of Crash Bandicoot for reasons I'm not quite sure of, and someone in here said it was better than Temple Run I think, so apparently they were wrong. I'll probably keep plodding along every so often but it's a shame it's not a little more fun to do so.

You can't be wrong about an opinion, but for the record I wasn't actually saying Agent Dash was better than Temple Run. Just that Agent Dash already did Temple Run again ( and added more to the mix) than Temple Run did, thus kind of beating Temple Run 2 to the punch thereby making it rather iterative and pointless. (TR2)

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Man, I'm at the Hollow Tree in CoH, and swiping right does nothing. The campaign navigation in this game is balls.

e: What I should say, is I shouldn't have to Google how to move in a video game. Twice. In the first chapter.

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 25, 2013

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Dragonshirt posted:

Man, I'm at the Hollow Tree in CoH, and swiping right does nothing. The campaign navigation in this game is balls.

e: What I should say, is I shouldn't have to Google how to move in a video game. Twice. In the first chapter.

Tap the circle you are standing on while next to that log.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
How is Baldurs Gate on the ipad?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's got a couple of fairly minor issues which frustrate some people more than others -clicking on small objects can be somewhat imprecise and frustrating and it occasionally crashes on my iPad mini- but overall I'm enjoying it. You can't argue with the ability magic missile kobolds while pooping.

Just kidding, magic missile sucks at low level.

Edit: it also just got a pretty big patch today though I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
CoH battles are fun but I'm chiming in to say the overworld map sucks balls. Trying to talk to people or open chests is a pain, just mashing the screen until it finally registers and then because i'm mashing the screen I miss the popup...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

KongGeorgeVII posted:

CoH battles are fun but I'm chiming in to say the overworld map sucks balls. Trying to talk to people or open chests is a pain, just mashing the screen until it finally registers and then because i'm mashing the screen I miss the popup...

Yeah I feel like I'm getting a lot of unresponsive taps in dialogs, having to tap a couple times before the game catches up with itself and actually registers.

e: Also, am I the only one getting shitstomped by anyone that has creatures that are like one level higher than you? I can't tell if you're supposed to grind on some random encounter in certain situations before moving on, or if the order in which you encounter battles is occasionally very wonky.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 25, 2013

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sandwich Fight posted:

Oh so I just realized that in Zombie Block Party when you get turned into a zombie you can purchase a Cure skill to turn yourself back into a human. But I figured this out after I've spawned like 40 zombies on top of my current location, and I'm still at work for a couple more hours so I can't really defend against the horde I've created.
Yeah, there are cheap items that will turn you into the other (and I think you only buy it once), and you can buy them right away. You aren't really penalized for dying that I can tell, though I'm not sure if zombies you created count for the challenges. Just kill a bunch, and after you die just switch back and kill some more.

The game is a lot more fun if you're playing with people you know and you kill them with a huge stack of zombies. anyone else at your work have an iPhone?

You can use Hunters you've spawned yourself to get challenges, by the way. The radio has infinite range too, I think. Some of the rewards are ridiculous, like the 3000 credits for killing 10 zombies with a rifle. The reward for 45 was a hat worth 125 :psyduck:

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010
In CoH to use whatever spot you're on just tap on yourself. Works for me for the hollow tree and everything else so far (chests, buildings, npcs).

DrSalt fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 25, 2013

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yep the tutorial lies to you in Clash of Heroes. Just tap the dot you are standing on to interact. Works every time. Opens the stump.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Ah. Would have been nice for them to have mentioned that. Combat is a blast, though.

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...
Another CoH question: does anyone know how to turn off "grid mode"? A couple of times the battlefield would show the grid spaces and have large numbers on all the units on the board. I don't know how to turn it off or how it even turned on in the first place. I've looked in the options menu, random clicking/swiping and nothing is working.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010
Pretty sure that triple tapping turns that on and off.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ursine Asylum posted:

e: Also, am I the only one getting shitstomped by anyone that has creatures that are like one level higher than you? I can't tell if you're supposed to grind on some random encounter in certain situations before moving on, or if the order in which you encounter battles is occasionally very wonky.

Having bought the game on both Xbox and steam, I can say that it depends how far you are in the game. For the elves you should not need to grind at all. That said, there's a pretty specific order you need to do the battles in or you will get stomped. Some of the bounties and optional fights will wreck you if you do them the first time you see them.

More than creature level it's character levels that matter, though. Having extra reinforcements/wall strength/life makes all the difference.

The last chapter or two is straight up unfair no matter what though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dewgy posted:

I'm noticing. It's pretty in a way that reminds me of Crash Bandicoot for reasons I'm not quite sure of, and someone in here said it was better than Temple Run I think, so apparently they were wrong. I'll probably keep plodding along every so often but it's a shame it's not a little more fun to do so.

It used to be monstrously hard, then they did two difficulty drops and now it's just regular Capcom/Nintendo Bullshit Hard.

but yeah, gem collecting is an obnoxious grind. Best way I found was to max my magnet power upgrade since it's a free x2/x3 when active, then go to try and get red and blue gems to show up earlier. And then I gave up because I was playing way too long to get like, a 1500 coin upgrade and the unlockable outfits are 10k and some poo poo and nope.

not as bad as Strikefleet Omega though! :mad: Someone here predicted me emailing the devs would turn out to be nothing and they were right, so, I admit it, whoever that person was.

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...

DrSalt posted:

Pretty sure that triple tapping turns that on and off.

That did the trick! Thanks.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

zoux posted:

CoH run okay on the iPad 1? And is there some sort of site where I can check this sort of thing so I don't have to ask this thread every time I consider buying a game?

It runs. It's really slow though. Like the game runs in slow motion all of the time. It's pretty frustrating but the game is so ridiculously good that I don't care. I've been itching to finish it since my PS3 died.

edit: It also crashes every 30 minutes or so but so does every other new iOS game.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 25, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm likely 3 weeks behind here but it is pretty hilarious to see Zynga get Zynga'd with the recent success of Ruzzle. Copy a popular game verbatim, without even a shred of discretion about the fact that you're blatantly copying it, and become more successful than the original game.

Kind of fitting really.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
So . . Zombie Block Party. I feel stupid for not figuring it out at first but it took me a while to realize that I have to physically go places on the world in order to move my avatar. I was really frustrated for a while and felt like ditching the game. Not sure if it needs to be made clearer or I just skipped past that part in the instructions but oh well.

Right now I've got my guy and I trained up a hunter. Can I train multiple hunters in one location, and if so how? Everytime I hit the train button it says to go to my current location first. Once I go there it says that I can't use train ability on hunters. I guess that means I can only have one hunter per location?

Also I see zombies spawning all around me. I"m guessing that I have to turn into a zombie before I can spawn other zombies but again, I feel like this wasn't really made clear in the instructions. My initial thought was that I was going to take over places as a human and then create a zombie horde to protect it but apparently that's not the case.

If anyone familiar with the game wouldn't mind throwing up some information about the differences between hunters / zombies and how to create your armies that would be great. I went to the games website but it doesn't really have any information, just a picture of the game and a link to the app store.

Overall I think the game looks cool, I just don't understand it very well.

edit: While I was playing this I'm listening to an old podcast and they're interviewing Dan Harmon (creator of Community)and they've spent the first 20 minutes talking about Pocket Planes and Harmon's obsession with it! Surreal.

http://www.popmyculturepodcast.com/2012/pmc-101-dan-harmon-and-erin-mcgathy/

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Kepa has a cool article up at the Penny Arcade Report:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/when-a-huge-audience-isnt-enough-how-punch-quest-tweaked-an-economy-into-pr

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Edit: wrong thread.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Keystoned posted:

So . . Zombie Block Party. I feel stupid for not figuring it out at first but it took me a while to realize that I have to physically go places on the world in order to move my avatar. I was really frustrated for a while and felt like ditching the game. Not sure if it needs to be made clearer or I just skipped past that part in the instructions but oh well.

Right now I've got my guy and I trained up a hunter. Can I train multiple hunters in one location, and if so how? Everytime I hit the train button it says to go to my current location first. Once I go there it says that I can't use train ability on hunters. I guess that means I can only have one hunter per location?

Also I see zombies spawning all around me. I"m guessing that I have to turn into a zombie before I can spawn other zombies but again, I feel like this wasn't really made clear in the instructions. My initial thought was that I was going to take over places as a human and then create a zombie horde to protect it but apparently that's not the case.

If anyone familiar with the game wouldn't mind throwing up some information about the differences between hunters / zombies and how to create your armies that would be great. I went to the games website but it doesn't really have any information, just a picture of the game and a link to the app store.

Overall I think the game looks cool, I just don't understand it very well.

edit: While I was playing this I'm listening to an old podcast and they're interviewing Dan Harmon (creator of Community)and they've spent the first 20 minutes talking about Pocket Planes and Harmon's obsession with it! Surreal.

http://www.popmyculturepodcast.com/2012/pmc-101-dan-harmon-and-erin-mcgathy/
This is from what I understand from playing it a few days:

I think you can have only one Hunter per location, though you can pack them in pretty tightly if you can register the slightly different position. They'll start off "Scared" which means they can be easily picked off by zombies, but any zombie players that walk past where a Hunter has been trained will take Health damage. Once they're no longer scared you can Arm them, and they'll attack any zombies in an area around them. It takes 24 hours for a new Hunter to not be scared, but there are zombie powers that can extend it as long as they aren't Armed or Scared. You can only train a new recruit at your current location. As a player you can walk past where a batch of zombies has been placed without attracting attention, though if you stay too long on top of them they'll eventually Surround you and a countdown will start. If you don't kill them all or escape the area before then, you'll die. Each time you kill a zombie will add a little to the timer, and the Smoke Bomb item will add 45 seconds to the clock. Using the Radio will give you challenges that can really boost your credits or give you items, and it has infinite range and a quick recharge time.

Zombies play a lot differently than Hunters. As a zombie player you want to avoid places where Hunters are located because you'll take health damage there; once it runs out, you'll rise as a Hunter again. You have abilities that let you spawn zombies, something like 2-5 in your current location (Infect) or 1-2 at a distant one (Plague Rat, Retch). They refresh pretty quickly, so it's easy to make a huge horde of them in a short time. However, piles of zombies can be converted by other players by using those same abilities, establishing Control over them. To protect your hordes from being stolen you can trade in 25 of them with Gather to establish a Horde, which can be leveled up progressively to increase protection. If you control a pile in your current location you can Command them to attack a nearby Hunter or Move them somewhere else. There are also powers that draw nearby idle zombies. To regenerate your health you can spawn a bunch of zombies and then Feed on 4 of them for a miniscule amount of health; since you can spawn them quickly it's just a tedious chore to repair any damage you've suffered. When your Horde level rises up high enough you can use it as a power and spawn a ton of zombies all around you and establish control of a whole area - I haven't used this yet, so I'm not sure how it works. You can also Frenzy (zombies will move towards Hunters that shoot them) and Lurk (other players can't see how many zombies are in a pile or what status effects they have) zombies at your current location. Gutterspeak is the zombies' version of the radio, but only works on zombies at your current location. You can still use it on your own spawns like you can with the Hunters, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm glad Clash of Heroes is universal because holy poo poo it's painful to play on the iPhone. Fits perfectly as an iPad game though.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

KarmaticStylee posted:

How is Baldurs Gate on the ipad?

I never played it on the PC but I love RPGs and was excited to play this classic, so I bought it for the iPad. I'm stuck in the tutorial where you're supposed to cast a spell on a new companion - can't figure out how. Haven't picked it up since.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Not sure which part of the process you're getting stuck on, so here's the whole thing: Click the little moon and stars icon on the bottom bar then click the spell you want. The moon and stars button will now have a red border, and you just have to click on either the character model for the companion you want to cast the spell on or (the easier method) on their portrait on the right hand side.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I seem to be in the minority with this opinion based on every review on the internet but I think Final Fantasy ATB is actually pretty fun. It's a fun little nostalgia trip for $4 and nothing is forcing the player to spend any more money than that on it.

My gripe is that you should be able to target specific enemies with the single-target attackers. Having my capacity to do damage be constantly diminishing while the enemy's remains the same until the very end when everything is almost dead anyway seems extremely unbalanced.

The wait time to revive the party is also way too long. They should get rid of the "one character comes back every 3 minutes" thing and just have the whole party replenish every half-hour or so. People that will spend money because they don't want to wait two hours won't want to wait half an hour either, and it would make the game infinitely more enjoyable for the stingy player, and would increase the value of characters like Aerith.

Ross fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 25, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Ross posted:

My gripe is that you should be able to target specific enemies with the single-target attackers.

Whoa, that's your biggest issue with ATB? :stare:

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Playing kingdom conquest in world 4

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Beelzebozo posted:

Whoa, that's your biggest issue with ATB? :stare:

Well, if you completely ignore the sheer amount of IAP fuckery and treat it like an otherwise-free game (because I still wouldn't find that worth $4), I could see that.

But yeah no gently caress ATB. Between Baldur's Gate and CoH I've already got enough good games to play, without thinking about lovely flash game wannabes.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey guys, stop buying this poo poo. It only encourages the big names to squeeze out more of these turds in the future. Stop it!

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010
Is Ghost Trick chapter 6 supposed to have an achievement? All previous chapters had completion achievement, but I have beaten ch 6 now twice and haven't gotten anything.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it the second time, but it just didn't popup like the previous achievements did. It just appeared on Game Center. Weird.

btw, Sefirah is pretty good. Kind of like Odin Sphere, I guess?

Syvere fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bummey posted:

Hey guys, stop buying this poo poo. It only encourages the big names to squeeze out more of these turds in the future. Stop it!

I was going to point out the futility of talking about supporting good ios games with your sandwich money but I think I'll go play Baldur's Gate or Battle of the Bulge instead.

Let the man enjoy his ATB.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys feel about the new Ghostbusters game?

I ground my way through Battleheart a few years back, but I recently quit Middle Manager of Justice due to boredom and frustration. The novelty of the theme wore off due to the constant speed bumps.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nickoten posted:

Has anyone tried Heroes and Castles, by the way? It looks pretty interesting. Kinda reminds me of that old "Defend Your Castle" flash game but you're on the field.

It looks similar to Castle Master 3D:
http://www.appshopper.com/games/castle-master-3d

Hopefully it doesn't become such a horrible slog/IAP whore as you progress like CM does.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
If anyone is playing kingdom conquest, I'm playing as Hestler in world 4. Let me know ill send an invite for alliance.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
When do apps/updates usually go up on the app store when they are approved? Does it just go up when apple gives the ok or is there a specific date and time?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Developers have control as to when new apps or updates can go out. I imagine updates generally go out as soon as Apple approves them, although if it's a big update I suppose a developer might time the release.

For whatever reason that I've never been able to figure out, apps tend to be released on Wednesday nights. Releases follow this weird schedule where they will go out in New Zealand first at 11pm local, then Australia, Asia, Europe before finally seeing a US release at 11 PM Eastern time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

I was going to point out the futility of talking about supporting good ios games with your sandwich money but I think I'll go play Baldur's Gate or Battle of the Bulge instead.

Let the man enjoy his ATB.

The point is to discourage other people from buying terrible game schemes to encourage better games in the future. IE, speaking with our power as consumers against lovely corporate practices.

One of such tactics involves harassing jerks who buy into it anyway! Jerks!

(I'm happy you like a game though guy who likes ATB <3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
well, i for one am very happy they QA'd temple run 2 as well as they did

my latest mission is "collect 100,000 coins." I think I'm gonna wait for a few updates before I play this game again

robodex fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 26, 2013

• Locked thread