Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I was just reading Zorak gushing about Planates in the sumulwatch voting thread before I read this. This author is so god drat good. The world badly needs more minds like his that can write pretty much the best sci-fi manga ever, and then turn around and write pretty much the best historical manga ever. They couldn't be about more different subjects, but what they both have is an incredibly vivid feeling of reality.

I loved the panel near the end that's the lookout's finger pointing out to sea at four indistinguishable dots. Such a massive threat that will tear everything apart; a tiny thing that's hard to see.

RipVTide posted:

Also I'm surprised that the kid seems to be all right. Also Leif's reaction to finding his prodigal feels kind of swept under the rug, like it's not a major plot point. Not that I mind, just kind of odd.
Yeah, I had to go back to the last chapter to make sure I hadn't missed Lief and Thorfinn's reunion. I guess, no matter what it meant to the both of them, they knew it wasn't important at the moment with everything else going on, and the way the story was structured reflected that.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What is especially horrifying about this situation is that if they don't flee, if they stick around, even if they don't fight, chances are they'll all be killed. Even Arneis. Just because Canute is cognizant of the horrors of the world doesn't mean he is definitively isn't willing to absolutely be a complete beast. I expect he aims to kill everyone present at the farm to cover up what he's done. Every single one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zorak posted:

What is especially horrifying about this situation is that if they don't flee, if they stick around, even if they don't fight, chances are they'll all be killed. Even Arneis. Just because Canute is cognizant of the horrors of the world doesn't mean he is definitively isn't willing to absolutely be a complete beast. I expect he aims to kill everyone present at the farm to cover up what he's done. Every single one.

On the other hand the entire point of all this was to take over the farm, and you do need people to do the actual work. Canute is an efficient dude, so it'd be kinda strange for him to start killing off useful workers en masse.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Cerebral Bore posted:

On the other hand the entire point of all this was to take over the farm, and you do need people to do the actual work. Canute is an efficient dude, so it'd be kinda strange for him to start killing off useful workers en masse.

Well I am pretty sure he's not taking over the farm, he's just raiding it for for the money he can get from taking the food and whatever movable loot or gold he can find. Afterwords he can give the land to whoever he wants to bestow favor or to influence, and it would be on them to supply workers.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElBrak posted:

Well I am pretty sure he's not taking over the farm, he's just raiding it for for the money he can get from taking the food and whatever movable loot or gold he can find. Afterwords he can give the land to whoever he wants to bestow favor or to influence, and it would be on them to supply workers.

He said on this page that he's "increasing his personal land holdings" - http://mangafox.me/manga/vinland_saga/v11/c075/17.html

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RipVTide posted:

Oh come on. The suspense is killing me here, would they get on with it already?!

That shot of them looking right over the empty waters before the ships are spotted was chilling.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah I don't think Canute's gonna raid the farm, he's just planning on seizing it, through force if required. We do not know what the repercussions for resistance will be though.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

He's the king, he likely has enough farmers and slaves to instantly staff the farm as soon as he murders everyone.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
There's a new Historie as well, but it's criminally short. Looks like Eumenes intends to issue fake orders and hope his bluff is enough to convince the other men to act as he wants. Hopefully no actual messengers sent show up, but with the King wounded the disarray might be preventing that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jrdbnta posted:

He's the king, he likely has enough farmers and slaves to instantly staff the farm as soon as he murders everyone.

We're talking viking age here, back then you didn't just round up a bunch of people and ship them somewhere else to work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

I do like how Yukimura had Thorfinn come to a pacifistic epiphany only to have the story force him to question that as well. Now it's exploring the morality of non-violence, and whether it's a justifiable position for a guy like Thorfinn living in the viking world. I'll admit that at first I was rather irked that Thorfinn suddenly decided to go full pacifist, but his forced questioning of the stance has certainly gotten me to change my mind.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

There's a new Historie as well, but it's criminally short. Looks like Eumenes intends to issue fake orders and hope his bluff is enough to convince the other men to act as he wants. Hopefully no actual messengers sent show up, but with the King wounded the disarray might be preventing that.
Attalus is out of it. Possibly dead. No one will know the orders weren't his.

Way too drat short for a monthly manga. But the suffering is only proportional to how invested I am in the story. Can't wait to see how this battle turns out.

Cerebral Bore posted:

We're talking viking age here, back then you didn't just round up a bunch of people and ship them somewhere else to work.
That's pretty much how slaves worked. A few slaves plus some vassals who need to be rewarded to manage the place would work out fine, especially as the vassals would probably have something of their own retinue to manage the place.

Of course you don't go wantonly slaughtering valuable resources like serfs if you can help it, but if they take up arms against their king it's probably more trouble to keep them around than to import a new lot.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Canute doesn't have to commit mass murder unless he wants to; most of the opposing force is serfs being offered a loan amnesty if they fight. They're not gonna hold out till the last man. All Canute has to do is kill the farm owner and his family, declare the land his, install a governor, then tell the rebellious serfs all will be forgiven if they toil on his lands forever and ever. Better than being slaughtered or taken as slaves, and nothing really changes for them. Hell, he can throw in a feast or a farm animal or something and they'll welcome the change in ownership with open arms and cheers.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

That's pretty much how slaves worked. A few slaves plus some vassals who need to be rewarded to manage the place would work out fine, especially as the vassals would probably have something of their own retinue to manage the place.

Of course you don't go wantonly slaughtering valuable resources like serfs if you can help it, but if they take up arms against their king it's probably more trouble to keep them around than to import a new lot.

The entire point of taking over the farm was to increase Canute's personal wealth so he'd be able to fund his standing armies, not parcel it out to vassals.

Also no, moving enough people to work a major farm in the viking era would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that since the war in England is pretty much over where the hell would Canute get new slaves from anyway?

Furthermore, since Norse farmers were ostensibly freemen, so you can't easily just round up a bunch of peasants and ship them there either and it's not as if the king just has a ton of unnecessary thralls around either, they'd all have some work to do already and moving hundreds of them would mean a manpower shortage elsewhere.

This isn't Civilization where you have a resource called 'farmers' that you can just move freely, we're talking a major logistical undertaking here.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Warriors were often gifted farms/parcels in foreign lands.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After going back and rereading the discussion with regards to slaughtering everyone, as I felt like I somehow ended up on the wrong side, the original point was that Canute was likely to kill noncombatants up to and including Arneis, to cover the event up. That is indeed unlikely.

Somehow I got it in my head that people were saying that Canute couldn't afford to kill the pitchfork wielding mob of debtors that makes up the rebel army. It's possible he'll offer them amnesty, or more likely just enslave the survivors, but depending on how big the general population is, killing the combatants probably isn't a huge logistical issue.

Slaughtering everyone who knew of the fight would be a bit more of an economic problem, I agree.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

After going back and rereading the discussion with regards to slaughtering everyone, as I felt like I somehow ended up on the wrong side, the original point was that Canute was likely to kill noncombatants up to and including Arneis, to cover the event up. That is indeed unlikely.

Somehow I got it in my head that people were saying that Canute couldn't afford to kill the pitchfork wielding mob of debtors that makes up the rebel army. It's possible he'll offer them amnesty, or more likely just enslave the survivors, but depending on how big the general population is, killing the combatants probably isn't a huge logistical issue.

Slaughtering everyone who knew of the fight would be a bit more of an economic problem, I agree.

But why does Canute want or need to eliminate any witnesses to the slaughter? He's gotten sufficient justification to attack and confiscate the farm - that was the whole point of that hooded "special agent" flicking the coin into the eye of the soldier to allow Ketil's younger son to "murder" Canute's soldier, so that Canute could trump up charges against Ketil.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 29, 2012

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

But why does Canute want or need to eliminate any witnesses to the slaughter? He's gotten sufficient justification to attack and confiscate the farm - that was the whole point of that hooded "special agent" flicking the coin into the eye of the soldier to allow Ketil's younger son to "murder" Canute's soldier, so that Canute could trump up charges against Ketil.
Yeah, I forgot to finish that post, but I was going to say the whole idea of getting rid of witnesses is silly when his story is Ketil rebelled and Canute is bringing him to justice.

If anything Canute would want other nobles to know how ruthlessly Ketil is put down to serve as a warning.

The fact that the whole rebellion thing was a set up is beside the point, as that's not part of the story anyone's going to know about outside of Canute and Ketil's immediate circles.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I have a terrible habit of derailing ongoing discussions so forgive this silly me..but since my knowlege of Nord/early Britain is laughable, is the author doing a historical-almost accurate work?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I have a terrible habit of derailing ongoing discussions so forgive this silly me..but since my knowlege of Nord/early Britain is laughable, is the author doing a historical-almost accurate work?

I'm not an expert but it seems pretty accurate. Then again outside a small slice of the conquest of England by Canute the manga has been staying outside the realm of written record. Nobody would have chronicled the life on a somewhat prosperous farm that got taken over by Canute, nor would Canute have kept a journal about his adventures with an angry Icelandic boy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Personal_Nirvana posted:

It's based off of real things. Canute's a real dude who mostly did what this Canute is doing. Thorfinn is a real person as well who will probably end up doing what his historical counterpart is known for. All the drama between Norway/Denmark and England is pretty much what really happened.

The events that happened tend to have a slight twist to them, and they aren't exactly like what happened in the history books. For instance Sweyn Forkbeard, Canute's father, wasn't assassinated as far as we know, though if it was covered up he might have been. Also the chronology of events often doesn't match up exactly. (general history spoilers) Thorfinn lead his expedition to Vinland in 1010, while Canute's father Sweyn died in 1014, and Canute launched his reconquest of England in 1016. This isn't a documentary, and it's not trying to be.

But in terms of the way people lived and dressed, the way houses were set up and what's in them, the way societies were structured and the type of lives people lived, it's all pretty drat impressive. This author has a fantastic attention for detail.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 29, 2012

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I maybe be misremembering, but I think the reason why Canute wanted the farm was because it was so productive. So killing all of the farmers would defeat the point on that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GodFish posted:

I maybe be misremembering, but I think the reason why Canute wanted the farm was because it was so productive. So killing all of the farmers would defeat the point on that.

Most of the actual farmers aren't taking up arms though. It's the freemen who owe Kettle money who are currently rallying. No need to kill the slaves, serfs or mercenaries. Just make sure Kettle is gone and sufficient example has been made of the guys who took up arms with Kettle and let those still standing get back to tilling the fields and bringing in your harvest.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Here's one, simply called Date Masamune. It's exactly what the name says: a biography of Masamune Date by Mitsuteru Yokoyama. It's fairly dry/no frills but at the same time I'm still enjoying it just because the Sengoku period is a pretty interesting deal all on its own.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Vinland Saga c90: http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/01/price-of-meal.html

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Snake is such a cool dude. I'm going to be really sad when he gets killed horribly by Canute's men.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Link for those of you who, like me, don't feel like downloading it

http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/90

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have to wait another month for the next chapter. :negative:

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Noooooooo Snake don't reveal parts of your hitherto mystery-shrouded backstory! :ohdear:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Volume 4 of Brides Story is on sale now. So go out and buy it already!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Volume posted:

Link for those of you who, like me, don't feel like downloading it

http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/90

Snake: I'm only three days from retirement and I can't wait till I can spend more time with my wife and kids. (paraphrased)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as we've come, I refuse to believe Yukimura would waste our time like that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I have to wait another month for the next chapter. :negative:

This, every month.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari chapter 27: Read Online / DDL

Tierke :3:
Karluk :3:
Tierke :smith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Tierke :3:
Karluk :3:
Tierke :smith:

I'm getting worried about the Russian invasion.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

How can a manga so adorable be so :smith:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm getting worried about the Russian invasion.

Well, the Great Game is on. You should also worry about the Brits and what that nice man with his notebook is up to (or at least his superiors...).

But yeah, I wonder if history is a spoiler for this series as well.

Munin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2013

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Man, I know it's pretty much what everyone has always said about this series, but...

What an incredible chapter. Thanks for all your hard work.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari chapter 28: Read Online / DDL
This one's for the ladies:holymoley:

Some pretty far-out cultural stuff in this chapter, but neat to think about. The thing about the embroidery (which I ended up taking out, sure wish the reader didn't stick that page in front!), and the age disconnect mostly. The reminder that if you live to 13 you've done pretty well and you've become a man speaks a lot to the setting - up until not too long ago, people (especially young and elderly) got sick and died a lot more!

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Why wouldn't you want the embroidery explanation up front? Without it the whole clothes thing doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 24, 2013