Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

reality_groove posted:

Oh bless your little cotton socks. Clearly you haven't been watching 'Paddy McGuinness Rips off Tarrant on TV', 'Sketch comedy group gets schtick stretched to six episodes' or 'The Inbetweeners USA for some reason'.

I'm not insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bown posted:

I don't understand why Mrs Brown's Boys isn't just treated with waves of vitriol. It's the worst show I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. I can't believe it's getting a loving movie

:ssh: it's already been a movie... Also, I've seen some of the original Irish episodes without the laugh track and they definitely fall into the "dram-edy" category than out an out slapstick of the current iteration. My own opinions, eh, it's harmless, I'll watch it if it's on, I'll chuckle a bit then immediately forget about it.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Well this is frustrating. I'm trying to watch the new Utopia on 4OD, but every time it gets to an ad break, it'll show the adverts and then jump to a seemingly random Channel 4 show when part two resumes. I tried watching it on 4OD's YouTube channel, but I get a black screen whenever I watch it in full screen mode. I could watch it in a smaller frame, but it's shot so well that I don't want to.

EDIT: Ugh. I had to resort to... Explorer to watch it. It was worth it though. I'm hooked.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 25, 2013

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I just watched Kill List and it works as a perfect origin story for the Utopia wheezy hitman.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Am I the only one who just doesn't... get Utopia? It looks very pretty, but it's too bogged down in exposition about a frankly uninteresting government conspiracy to keep me engaged. I find the concept of an "insane" secret organisation that's going to test a virus on Great Britain a bit too silly to take seriously - I just don't buy that they'd have any motivation to do that. I like some of the characters, particularly Grant, Becky, and Wilson, and having Curtis from Misfits in it is cool, but then spending so much of last episode with Jessica "I pull one pouty face and say all my lines in the same flat breathy way" Hyde just lead to me wanting the group to run away from her and never come back. On top of it all, it just seems far too mean spirited - I like black comedy but ending the episode with a family of four being gassed to death in their own home just seemed unnecessary.

I don't know, it does lots of things well but I'm just not engaged with the overall narrative. I'll probably keep watching it though because I'm a plum.

Howards Bellend fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 25, 2013

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah to be honest I agree. It's got some interesting ideas but its definitely a case of style over substance. Jessica Hyde is pretty terrible, but I do really like the hitman character though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Just uploaded something to YouTube that people here may be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2GqZW5Tww

Ian Hislop doing a corporate gig speech.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

:ssh: it's already been a movie... Also, I've seen some of the original Irish episodes without the laugh track and they definitely fall into the "dram-edy" category than out an out slapstick of the current iteration. My own opinions, eh, it's harmless, I'll watch it if it's on, I'll chuckle a bit then immediately forget about it.

It's kind of televison white noise for me. The only issue I take with it is when it tries to be serious. You can't really expect me to believe the serious bits, if for the past half-hour it's been line flubs, running through the sets, and slastick.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NaDy posted:

Yeah to be honest I agree. It's got some interesting ideas but its definitely a case of style over substance. Jessica Hyde is pretty terrible, but I do really like the hitman character though.

I'd need to see the actress in something else to judge, but I think the character is supposed to an unemotional robot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zythrst posted:

I'd need to see the actress in something else to judge, but I think the character is supposed to an unemotional robot.

It's still kind of boring to watch. Also, she's basically Anton Chigur filling in for Kyle Reese from Terminator. Does look lovely though,

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zythrst posted:

That's true, but you could say the same about the Hitman, but he pulls it off well. I just don't think she is playing it that well really. Don't get me wrong I still like the show, there's just not much to it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Howards Bellend posted:

Am I the only one who just doesn't... get Utopia? It looks very pretty, but it's too bogged down in exposition about a frankly uninteresting government conspiracy to keep me engaged. I find the concept of an "insane" secret organisation that's going to test a virus on Great Britain a bit too silly to take seriously - I just don't buy that they'd have any motivation to do that. I like some of the characters, particularly Grant, Becky, and Wilson, and having Curtis from Misfits in it is cool, but then spending so much of last episode with Jessica "I pull one pouty face and say all my lines in the same flat breathy way" Hyde just lead to me wanting the group to run away from her and never come back. On top of it all, it just seems far too mean spirited - I like black comedy but ending the episode with a family of four being gassed to death in their own home just seemed unnecessary.

I don't know, it does lots of things well but I'm just not engaged with the overall narrative. I'll probably keep watching it though because I'm a plum.

I really like it but I agree with you about the plot. I think the conspiracy is lazily written and not very engaging, but they don't really try to milk it for suspense as much as they could so I don't feel like its a huge problem. It's definately a case of style over substance but the style is very good so I'll still tune in for it.

Maybe some of the violence is unnecessary but the gratuitiousness can work. The extent of that torture scene in the first episode, for example, was so unexpected for me that it lead to a brilliant few minutes. I was a bit disappointed that they tried to cash in on that again too much in the second episode but there you go.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Bown posted:

I don't understand why Mrs Brown's Boys isn't just treated with waves of vitriol. It's the worst show I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. I can't believe it's getting a loving movie

Have you seen Miranda? I'm honestly beginning to think the portrayal of BBC Comedy that Ricky Gervais showed in series 2 of Extras is close to what actually goes on there.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

sex pervert posted:

Have you seen Miranda? I'm honestly beginning to think the portrayal of BBC Comedy that Ricky Gervais showed in series 2 of Extras is close to what actually goes on there.

Miranda is alright if you're the target audience (slightly posh gawky unattractive woman), in which case you'll get cheap laughs because you too have a posh mum and posh friends, and out of sympathy/recognition of awkward social situations. It's not high art but it's the TV equivalent of comfort food, and I think it's great to have a comedy featuring 'quirky' women that aren't quirky in a really cringey Zooey Deschanel manic pixie dream girl way. Having said that, the new series ran out of actual jokes about 2 episodes in and is now running on pure padding.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Interestingly the BBC twitter account once asked for script ideas about Transgender issues or Transgender characters.

This is while the avatar was a picture of the bloke from Mrs. Browns Boys dragged up and gurning to camera.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The first four minutes of ep 3 of Utopia are going to be the most talked about 4 minutes of TV this year. Trust.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
New series of the Last Leg on Channel 4 now, good stuff.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

reality_groove posted:

The first four minutes of ep 3 of Utopia are going to be the most talked about 4 minutes of TV this year. Trust.

You little tease.

Wrinklestiltskin
Jan 13, 2004

I did not know anything about it. I didn't see it.

reality_groove posted:

Can we get a Toxx on that?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Chris Addison and Simon Blackwell are writing a new sitcom for Sky Living, which could go either way, considering that Lab Rats was utter shite.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

reality_groove posted:

You cocktease :(

I'm just watching This Is England '88. I'm so happy Alex Macqueen (Julius Nicholson) is in it, bloody love that guy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

onoflalks posted:

New series of the Last Leg on Channel 4 now, good stuff.

I don't think the last leg has, as it were, legs. It's watchable enough, but there's no real focus to it, other than people on it happen to be disabled.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bloodbath posted:

You cocktease :(

I'm just watching This Is England '88. I'm so happy Alex Macqueen (Julius Nicholson) is in it, bloody love that guy.

drat it.

Every time someone mentions This is England, I need to watch through the entire thing again.

And cry like a drat child at the end of '88. Don't judge, I know everyone else did too.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Michael Fassbender is playing a character based on Frank Sidebottom in a new film (complete with papier mache head). Sounds interesting but it better contain The Monopoly Song and constant Timperley references.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Something I must ask while I remember. There is a recurring extra in so many British comedies I have watched. It's a white Nissan Micra (early 90s model). It appears in almost every episode of Saxondale and shows up all the time in Peep Show. I've seen it in lots of other shows as well. Wtf?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

sex pervert posted:

Something I must ask while I remember. There is a recurring extra in so many British comedies I have watched. It's a white Nissan Micra (early 90s model). It appears in almost every episode of Saxondale and shows up all the time in Peep Show. I've seen it in lots of other shows as well. Wtf?
That shows up every day on my street, too! Maybe it's the same one :tinfoil:

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Its registration was K702 TKN. I first noticed it in The Office, probably because my mum drove the same model and colour of car for a long time. Until the arse fell out of it, actually.

edit: I think it must have been some comedy inside joke. Like Kevin Eldon, but a car.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 26, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Maybe it's Alan Smithee's car? :v:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Giedroyc posted:

Michael Fassbender is Frank Sidebottom

:psyduck:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bown posted:

I mean (not to sound like a snob, but) I get why the general British public would like it, because it's bawdy as gently caress and has crossdressing AND funny Irish swearing, but I can't stand it. The small moments when they go meta or keep a cameraman fuckup in are the only funny parts. Is this really what we want to present to the world as our best sitcom? Something that has every cheap, lame, outdated British comedy cliche in the book? I know it's a pointless, slightly rude moan but do audiences really not want ANYTHING original or new?

I loving hate Mrs Brown's Boys. It's like someone made a single show out of everything I hate in british tv. I was on a coach late at night once and everyone on it was drunk and when the driver put Mrs Brown's Boys on the TV EVERYONE complained. If a bunch of sleepy drunks hate Mrs Brown's Boys I have no idea how anyone sober and awake endures it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

Michael Fassbender is playing a character based on Frank Sidebottom in a new film (complete with papier mache head).

I don't mean to be hopelessly fixated on appearances, but why would you put the ridiculously beautiful head of Michael Fassbender inside papier mache?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

sex pervert posted:

edit: I think it must have been some comedy inside joke. Like The Actor Kevin Eldon, but a car.
I think the server must have eaten some of your post, so I fixed it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Giedroyc posted:

Michael Fassbender is playing a character based on Frank Sidebottom in a new film (complete with papier mache head).

Mixed feelings about this as I do like me some Fassbender but Frank Sidebottom terrified me as a child.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon posted:

Mixed feelings about this as I do like me some Fassbender but Frank Sidebottom terrified me as a child.
loving ditto. Goddamn.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jeremy Clarkson, the World's Shittest Dalek.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

McDragon posted:

Jeremy Clarkson, the World's Shittest Dalek.

Him getting James something from Ann Summers made me laugh more than it should have. The Dragons Den bit was far too long.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ripper Street was probably the best episode of the series so far though, really great and very well acted.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
No chat about Wonders of Life? Watched the first one last night while really tired. Not all of it went in, but really enjoyed it. Looked amazing too and the bits where he was talking while diving into that lake were hilarious. Next week is about the evolution of the eye, which should be amazing.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Mickolution posted:

No chat about Wonders of Life? Watched the first one last night while really tired. Not all of it went in, but really enjoyed it. Looked amazing too and the bits where he was talking while diving into that lake were hilarious. Next week is about the evolution of the eye, which should be amazing.

I only have room in my heart for David Attenborough's Africa at the moment ...

Baby turtles NOOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

It almost felt like a beautiful combination of BBC's "Life" and Sagan's "Cosmos". Brian Cox owns and the previous two "Wonders" series (Solar System/Universe) were really excellent. Of ourse, Cox got quite a few angry tweets last night about believing in evolution. :rolleyes: