Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

CrushedB posted:

It will be 5 pages of "gently caress off" versus "(laughs)"

Hah, I just got that part. I wonder if they'll censor him :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

Kamiya's too busy with his new full-time job: yelling at morons on Twitter.

It's basically the best thing about Twitter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just got a nice bonus from work, and believe I'm going to spend it on a deluxe Wii U, Batman, and TANKTANKTANK.

I just don't want to regret buying it in a year when the PS4 reveals it shits golden eggs.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red posted:

I just got a nice bonus from work, and believe I'm going to spend it on a deluxe Wii U, Batman, and TANKTANKTANK.

I just don't want to regret buying it in a year when the PS4 reveals it shits golden eggs.

You should be safe, the PS4 is a ways away and if the launch for that is anything like the PS3, it won't be too groundbreaking.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Anyone else have weird overscan areas showing up at 1080p on balloon fight? I know wii mode has a similar issue but I cannot imagine why they would add it to the wii u vc (unless they are just using integer scaling on the main screen for some reason)

Yep, I'm getting it too. Doesn't appear to be due to integer scaling because the pixels are all blurry. It's actually quite ugly :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Red posted:

Warning on tanktanktank. Its pretty much universally panned. Just read some reviews first.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Bombadilillo posted:

Warning on tanktanktank. Its pretty much universally panned. Just read some reviews first.

Agreed, I would highly suggest watching this before buying TankTankTank: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-tank-tank-tank/17-6749/

Also, I hope people aren't setting their expectations too high with this .30 cent pricing on these Nintendo games. They said it's specifically due to it being the 30th year anniversary for the NES launch in Japan. It seems like people are reading into it a little much that they might be debating pricing when they listed what the games will be priced at in that last nintendo direct.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TankTankTank's Japanese release on the eShop is a free to play model, and it's heavily rumored that the version that comes out on the US eShop will follow that model.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

I know not to expect much from games journalism, but I have to wonder exactly where the impression of failure came from? Because excitement has been exactly the primary reaction I've seen from this Nintendo Direct.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I know not to expect much from games journalism, but I have to wonder exactly where the impression of failure came from? Because excitement has been exactly the primary reaction I've seen from this Nintendo Direct.

Because games journalism. Negative Nintendo articles always bring out the page views.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bombadilillo posted:

That's disappointing. The game looked like a big, noisy blast. How do you gently caress that up?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

Because Nintendo Failing is something of a fantasy alot of people have. To witness the end of an era for a company that existed for decades in the videogame market has some sort of romantic allure to it. However it should be noted, nobody called Sega pulling out of the console business until after the fact. After the Gamegear, 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn people were just indifferent towards Sega to the point of not carring.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WendigoJohnson posted:

Because Nintendo Failing is something of a fantasy alot of people have. To witness the end of an era for a company that existed for decades in the videogame market has some sort of romantic allure to it. However it should be noted, nobody called Sega pulling out of the console business until after the fact. After the Gamegear, 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn people were just indifferent towards Sega to the point of not carring.

Which is sad because the Dreamcast was an awesome system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spacebump posted:

Which is sad because the Dreamcast was an awesome system.

It indeed was, loads of fighting games and arcade style games. It also had games like EGG which could easily rival Link to The Past.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WendigoJohnson posted:

It indeed was, loads of fighting games and arcade style games. It also had games like EGG which could easily rival Link to The Past.

Dreamcast: The Home Arcade

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Chaltab posted:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/nintendo-direct-promises-promises/
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/wii-u-analysis-2/

Apparently Nintendo are idiots, nothing they announced was a real surprise, and by announcing long-term games (any game that is not coming out next week is now vaporware, BTW) in advance to build Wii U enthusiasm, they've hosed up everything by appearing desperate and nobody will actually care about these games.

I thought it was kind of cool that Nintendo was being candid about their missteps, being transparent about their upcoming plans instead of stubbornly silent when reasons to buy a Wii U were appearing scare, and on top of that, announcing some really fun and cool sounding Video Games. But the Internet decided pretty quickly that it was all garbage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They can talk poo poo about Nintendo all they want, it's not gonna stop from buying the Wonderful 101 and having all of my dudes slide. I hope they too learn one day what it is like to love video games again.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've only seen positive responses, and I think that even if Nintendo becomes smaller in scope (which I don't think they will) they'll still hold the franchises we all love. Yoshi's Epic Yarn, WWHD, Wonderful 101 and the confirmation of a new Galaxy-Team game make me very happy that I got a Wii U, and with the strong 3DS lineup I just don't see the hate.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

I have a weird theory that much like tweens and young teens who love talking poo poo about barney and teletubbies after growing up on them to prove that they're all grown up and poo poo or whatever but it actually makes it clear that they are immature brats, adult manchildren try to prove how hardcore they are by talking poo poo about Nintendo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Boten Anna posted:

I have a weird theory that much like tweens and young teens who love talking poo poo about barney and teletubbies after growing up on them to prove that they're all grown up and poo poo or whatever but it actually makes it clear that they are immature brats, adult manchildren try to prove how hardcore they are by talking poo poo about Nintendo.

Pretty much this. Allthough if they were that serious about it, maybe they should not be waxing poetic about the NES to N64 era. Especialy since the NES had alot of terrible/unfinished games on it that if they were to be announced now would probably garner scorn(Because games like Dino Riki are terrible, infact so terrible that the source code is gone and it was never a VC release). Imagine them announcing things like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 instead of stuff like Monster Hunter.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Or maybe they just weren't that excited by the announcement of yet another round of sequels to the same Nintendo franchises and they don't have some weird ulterior motive that makes them poo poo on Nintendo?!

I mean, I was pretty stoked by some of the stuff in the Nintendo Direct but I can totally see how someone who has sequel fatigue and is hoping for something new could be super underwhelmed by what was announced. The crazy theories that tend to pop up whenever stuff like this happens always amazes me.

e: That's not to say that there haven't been click baiting headlines from some outlets, but that's not exclusive to Nintendo news. There's still some valid points being made.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 25, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah, the Wii U and the 3DS might not be quite living up to expectations in terms of business (ie, they're doing fine instead of being hits) but it's nowhere near the dark days of the Nintendo 64 and Game Cube when the portable systems were the only thing keeping them afloat.

The only thing that bothered me in the Nintendo direct was the constant apologizing. I don't need an apology for Nintendo not dumping out all of their franchises in the first four months of a system's release...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

Or maybe they just weren't that excited by the announcement of yet another round of sequels to the same Nintendo franchises and they don't have some weird ulterior motive that makes them poo poo on Nintendo?!

I mean, I was pretty stoked by some of the stuff in the Nintendo Direct but I can totally see how someone who has sequel fatigue and is hoping for something new could be super underwhelmed by what was announced. The crazy theories that tend to pop up whenever stuff like this happens always amazes me.

But that this point what other Nintendo games are getting Sequels other than Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin. Pikmin also didn't get a new game on the Wii even, the last game was on the Gamecube. Many of the nintendo franchises have dissapeared into the ether to never be heard from again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowbear posted:

Except there are plenty of new games being announced? I mean poo poo they have Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, that's basically as new as you can get relative to a traditional Nintendo platform.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Red posted:

That's disappointing. The game looked like a big, noisy blast. How do you gently caress that up?

It's a fun game when you and a few friends drop $3-4 in the arcade to play a round or two (when I was at Disney World last just about every hotel/theme park arcade had a group of kids constantly playing it) but it doesn't really translate well to a $50 home experience. Gamefly it or Redbox it if you absolutely need to play it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

computer parts posted:

Except there are plenty of new games being announced? I mean poo poo they have Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, that's basically as new as you can get relative to a traditional Nintendo platform.

That wasn't announced at this Nintendo Direct.

The big names they announced were a new Mario Kart (there have been a billion of these with little innovation), a new Zelda (and an old Zelda), and a new Mario.

The 3d Mario team at least seem to do some interesting stuff with each new iteration, but the Zelda team hasn't really. They say they're going to shake things up with it but I can see people being skeptical until we get some info that proves it.

Fire Emblem vs SMT is a mashup of two series that have had a bunch of games and are both pretty niche in the west.

The new Monolith game is probably the most interesting thing announced, but even then, Xenoblade never seemed to make a real impact over here.

e: Let me again restate that I don't agree with their lack of excitement. I'm stoked for new 3d Mario, the X game, and tentatively for the new Zelda if they follow through on their promise. I just understand where these people are coming from.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 25, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Wonderful 101 didn't grab me too much at first but that trailer in the Nintendo Direct video basically sold me on it. Now I regret not trying it out at NYCC.

Platinum Games is exactly the kind of company I feel Nintendo should be buddying up with right now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crowbear posted:

Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Fabric Yoshi Game and MechaXenoHunter: The same old Nintendo franchises you're used to! :allears:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Then again, if you don't like the "same old Nintendo franchises," perhaps buying a Nintendo console was never the right decision for you in the first place.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

deadwing posted:

Then again, if you don't like the "same old Nintendo franchises," perhaps buying a Nintendo console was never the right decision for you in the first place.

Seriously. If Nintendo were to stop making new IPs after today, I still would buy whatever hardware they release because I'd already have like thirty franchises that Nintendo has guaranteed I'll buy from for the rest of my life.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
You can innovate within the same franchises and space out the versions so they don't get too stale. They're good properties but they can be overworked.

Hell I'd even take something stale at this point since apparently nothing of interest is coming out for months and my console is just sitting there after I completed NSMBU and got bored with Nintendoland.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata even prefaced a bunch of announcements with "...but those don't really count as announcements because everyone knew they were coming" and then made some actual announcements, including poo poo no-one saw coming like SMTxFE. Why are people singling out this Nintendo Direct in particular and not the 5943085904385 other ones that were total rehashes of info we'd known for months? It really does seem reactionary.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata even prefaced a bunch of announcements with "...but those don't really count as announcements because everyone knew they were coming" and then made some actual announcements, including poo poo no-one saw coming like SMTxFE. Why are people singling out this Nintendo Direct in particular and not the 5943085904385 other ones that were total rehashes of info we'd known for months? It really does seem reactionary.

It's Bayonetta 2, man. It's like a giant siren.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

deadwing posted:

Again, I don't really get this whole thing. They put in tons of new ideas per new iteration of their franchises. Yes some core stuff remains the same, but even Nintendo admits that they will take ideas from a new IP and just put it into a Zelda/Mario/etc. game since it will do a lot better. The most extreme case of this (that we know of) was Kirby's Epic Yarn where a totally new game was in late alpha stages and they went "gently caress it make this a Kirby game."

Besides, seeing old ideas get refreshed and refined is what modern gaming is all about. If people seriously think that Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy belong in the same bag of nuts, then they should really despise playing any first person shooter ever.

EDIT:
vv I got probated for saying something like that about Bayonetta once and man is it funny to see a mod saying it.

There's basically a really amazing devil may cry/god of war-esque game underneath all the incredibly creepy anime and objectification of women, and that's what all the fuss is about. Or I should say some of the fuss as I wouldn't like to meet die-hard fans of the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 25, 2013

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I don't even know what Bayonetta is but I googled it and man that looks like something I wouldn't want to walk up to a counter with.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gendo posted:

I don't even know what Bayonetta is but I googled it and man that looks like something I wouldn't want to walk up to a counter with.

But the clerk will instantly give you a high five. Do you hate high fives?

Gendo posted:

Hell I'd even take something stale at this point since apparently nothing of interest is coming out for months and my console is just sitting there after I completed NSMBU and got bored with Nintendoland.

Did you buy Sonic Racing? You should buy Sonic Racing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Fabric Yoshi Game and MechaXenoHunter: The same old Nintendo franchises you're used to! :allears:

Don't forget Wii Play and Wii Fit. Not for us but they're new franchises being brought over to the Wii U. It's almost as if Nintendo divided their attention between building up evergreen properties and experimenting with new things.

Gendo posted:

It's fun to play but I wouldn't blame anyone for dismissing it because of how sleazy it is.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's basically a really amazing devil may cry/god of war-esque game underneath all the incredibly creepy anime and objectification of women, and that's what all the fuss is about. Or I should say some of the fuss as I wouldn't like to meet die-hard fans of the game.

Bayonetta is like, one of the least objectified female characters in gaming. At least, that's not the vibe I got from the game, and I played it a lot. She's a total smack-talking badass, and one of my favorite characters in years.

And the game is the ultimate evolution of the "Stylish Action" genre or whatever you want to call it that Devil May Cry started. Bayonetta has an incredibly deep combat system and a super high skill ceiling that makes it really fun to get good at.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Bobnumerotres posted:

Again, I don't really get this whole thing. They put in tons of new ideas per new iteration of their franchises. Yes some core stuff remains the same, but even Nintendo admits that they will take ideas from a new IP and just put it into a Zelda/Mario/etc. game since it will do a lot better. The most extreme case of this (that we know of) was Kirby's Epic Yarn where a totally new game was in late alpha stages and they went "gently caress it make this a Kirby game."

At this point Kirby is the best franchise to buy every iteration of if you want new and interesting ideas from Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gendo posted:

Gutcruncher posted:

But the clerk will instantly give you a high five. Do you hate high fives?

Even if you don't want a high five, you could buy it discreetly via the eshop! :v:

• Locked thread