Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
You make maybe the least convincing case that I've ever heard. For one thing, normal people don't give two fucks about cycling. It's a hobbyist thing in this country, and not having helmet laws isn't going to change that. For another thing, no one stops riding a bike because they have to wear a helmet. They stop because a car is faster, more comfortable, and safer in a country that was designed around driving a car to get to where you're going. Third, trying to estimate how many people were "saved" by helmet laws is ridiculous and idiotic, just like trying to estimate how many people were saved by concealed carry laws.

You know how to get more Americans to ride bikes?

Just kidding, that won't work, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

God I'm sure glad something was under 10% in Florida. That was pretty worrying.

Bombed-out library in WWII.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Huh so 10-14% of people in Ohio were actually bears in disguise in '85? Impressive they kept the charade up for so long :stare:.
e: f,b

Polish soldiers with Soviet war banners after the Battle of Warsaw

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BUSH 2112 posted:

You make maybe the least convincing case that I've ever heard. For one thing, normal people don't give two fucks about cycling. It's a hobbyist thing in this country, and not having helmet laws isn't going to change that. For another thing, no one stops riding a bike because they have to wear a helmet. They stop because a car is faster, more comfortable, and safer in a country that was designed around driving a car to get to where you're going. Third, trying to estimate how many people were "saved" by helmet laws is ridiculous and idiotic, just like trying to estimate how many people were saved by concealed carry laws.

You know how to get more Americans to ride bikes?

Just kidding, that won't work, either.

The only thing that'd work:

And that would suck. I'd never be able to visit relatives the next town over.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

Rhandhali posted:

Exactly. Best estimates are that maybe 160 people a year are "saved" by helmet laws. In the meantime that's hundreds of thousands of people not on bikes and in their cars.

It's almost like there are other things that make cycling dangerous that have nothing at all to do with helmets! Imagine that. Also, when you require kids to wear bike helmets guess what happens? They stop cycling. They then become adults who don't cycle and consider the bicycle as a children's toy and not a real method of transportation, perpetuating the cycle,

Wear a helmet if you want. That little bit of styrofoam might do good but nowhere ear as much good as getting more cyclists on the road; helmet laws actively make cycling more dangerous by decreasing ridership.

12 deaths in five years. Truly an epidemic.

Lots of Children ride bikes to school in New Zealand. Then they start driving cars, not because of our helmet laws, but because our cities and towns are just not designed around the bike and we dont have decent public transport. Also 12 deaths is 12 too many.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Winston N. Rumfoord
Aug 18, 2010
Just found out about the Burkini.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/wCc7ygP.jpg

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhandhali posted:

Wear a helmet if you want. That little bit of styrofoam might do good but nowhere ear as much good as getting more cyclists on the road; helmet laws actively make cycling more dangerous by decreasing ridership.

Don't care what your say, I'm always gunna wear my helmet.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
From the Onion

8 INSANELY CUTE Child Soldiers

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.
Cross posting a comic from the political comic thread.

Get hosed forever, Ramirez.

edit: just in case comics aren't kosher:

Canada's fox news, everybody.

Lysdexique fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 25, 2013

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Malmanous posted:

Lots of Children ride bikes to school in New Zealand. Then they start driving cars, not because of our helmet laws, but because our cities and towns are just not designed around the bike and we dont have decent public transport. Also 12 deaths is 12 too many.

Nobody says this about diabetes or heart disease, but as soon an utterly insignificant number of people splatter their brains on the road it's TOO MANY and SOMETHING MUST BE DONE. I mean a dozen people isn't even snakebite territory. People die, get over it. If you want to do something about it worry about something that might actually make a difference

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ZNLb_SBbuA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2ZNLb_SBbuA%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Full report here.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByfPynZO70CRN25FWnZKVHRJT3M/edit?pli=1

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I've been hearing a lot of vague stuff about Clinton in the Senate over Benghazi, but what exactly is going on, from an objective view? (Too much stuff about it online is angry GOP people ranting) Also, what's the context of that "What difference does it make?" bit?

Continuing the family tradition.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Experto Crede posted:

I've been hearing a lot of vague stuff about Clinton in the Senate over Benghazi, but what exactly is going on, from an objective view? (Too much stuff about it online is angry GOP people ranting) Also, what's the context of that "What difference does it make?" bit?

Continuing the family tradition.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310545-1

Watch it yourself.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Barely over 8k views. So drat shameful

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Barely over 8k views. So drat shameful

Turns out that stuff on C-Span is really boring! :v:

Part 2, for those interested.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310545-101

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhandhali posted:

Dad is doing the right thing.

Helmet laws decrease ridership and make biking less safe. They make cycling less convenient and therefore less attractive. That means there are more cars and fewer cyclists who are now in greater danger than they would have been otherwise. Drivers are also more cautious around unhelmeted cyclists than they are around helmeted ones. City cycle programs are murdered in their infancy by helmet laws.

You misread that Cracked article.

FORCED Helmet Wearing Laws are the cause of fewer cyclists. For the individual, wearing a helmet is the safe thing to do.

Still better odds on not getting a head injury with than without a helmet. But if you think you're safer without a helmet feel free to risk it.

and the number is bigger than "12 per year"

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/bikeinjuries.html
http://trafficsafety.org/safety/sharing/bike/bike-facts/bike-injuries-fatalities

quote:

In 2006, more than 44,000 bicyclists in the U.S. were injured in traffic crashes and 773 bicyclists died as a result of bicycle-related injuries.

However, only a small fraction, possibly as low as 10% of crashes causing injury are ever recorded by the police.

Ninety-five percent of the bicyclists killed in 2006 reportedly weren’t wearing helmets.

Deaths among bicyclists younger than 16 have gone down by 84% since 1975, while deaths among bicyclists 16 and older have more than doubled.

As you can see here bicycle helmet laws for those under 16 were introduced around the '70s.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 25, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rhandhali posted:

Nobody says this about diabetes or heart disease, but as soon an utterly insignificant number of people splatter their brains on the road it's TOO MANY and SOMETHING MUST BE DONE. I mean a dozen people isn't even snakebite territory. People die, get over it. If you want to do something about it worry about something that might actually make a difference

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ZNLb_SBbuA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2ZNLb_SBbuA%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

I don't get it, are you actually arguing that people shouldn't wear helmets? Like, that its dumb panicky baby stuff to wear a helmet?

e: this is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3S62ZtyiRg

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 25, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Helmets are stupid you see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcNZ-KOEcg

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBiAtwQZnHs

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaTNf4YhEs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Antonin Scalia and his sweet hat at the inauguration.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Somebody got banned recently from the UK megathread for trying to argue that wearing a cycle helmet was less safe than not wearing one because it was impossible to tell if he was trolling or not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problem with helmet laws is that they are often viewed as the final answer in bike safety. Like if we can only require everyone to wear a helmet then finally biking can be safe for all. Education of drivers and cyclists and better traffic enforcement for everyone does a lot more good than mandatory helmets but those require a lot more work.

Sorry I don't have clever bike helmet graphic.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 25, 2013

Sep 2, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

I live in Ontario, but my wife and I grocery shop in the states quite often. Last time we were at Wegman's, I went by the magazine rack to see if I could find a video game magazine to browse through. I wasn't able to find any video game related magazines, but I did find a poo poo-load of gun magazines.

These would be funny if they weren't dead serious.

Castle Doctrine Law Clarified

ADDICTED TO POWER

The entire cover of the Personal & Home Defense magazine is almost too rediculous to be real. Lifesaving Shooting Drills! Close Quarter Fighting! Blunt-Force Alternatives! Doomsday Survival! I picture the guy buying this magazine as the one who can't wait to legally kill a burglar or trespasser.

Oh hey I saw all of those and this one as well, which my friends and I were cracking up at:

are troops sighed as they drew their katanas. :patriot:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

loading... posted:

Oh hey I saw all of those and this one as well, which my friends and I were cracking up at:

are troops sighed as they drew their katanas. :patriot:

My senator came out and said it yesterday on Maddow:

quote:

MADDOW: Senator Murphy, let me turn to you for a moment. You
represented Newtown as Newtown`s congressman. Now, as senator you
represent the entire state of Connecticut as their senator -- Connecticut
is a small state, but it is a diverse state. It is both diverse in terms
of urban and rural areas. It`s diverse in terms of its population, and in
terms of its political views.
How do you talk to your constituents who feel very strongly about gun
rights and very wary about gun control, that this isn`t going to be
something that`s going to hurt their freedoms, it`s going to help them and
help their fellow citizens?

MURPHY: Listen, every decision you that make on legislation is a
balancing act. And on this one, the test is pretty clear. Do you want to
pass a law that`s going to keep more 6 and 7-year-old kids alive in the
future, or do you want to add some convenience to gun owners who want to
reload a little bit less frequently or want to pretend that they`re
soldiers by owning military-style assault weapons?
When you pose that
question to people in Connecticut and frankly across this country as you`ve
shown by the surveys you that talked about earlier, people side with the 6
and 7-year-olds every single time.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
One thing that goes hand and hand with stupidly overpowered firearms in the hands of civilians is the tactical clothing and accessory market.

I present the Tactikilt.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Naye True Scotsman would use a gun. :colbert:

Seriously, you'd probably be shamed for bringing one instead of getting a gently caress off great machete.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't get it, are you actually arguing that people shouldn't wear helmets? Like, that its dumb panicky baby stuff to wear a helmet?

Learn to ride a bike, Americailures :c00lbert:

Obligatory Dutch rush hour video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AbPav5E5M

"An Orthodox priest blesses rifles during a ceremony where new recruits receive their weapons at a military base of the Belarusian Interior Ministry"

"admiral Krylov decorates a diver who cleared mines laid in the Spree river"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I have to say, if these senators, representatives and other Democrats put half of the effort that they put into guns into things like healthcare, employment, infrastructure, social security, ending wars, punishing white collar crime, ending torture, and even feeding goddamned starving people they might actually make a difference.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Naye True Scotsman would use a gun. :colbert:

Seriously, you'd probably be shamed for bringing one instead of getting a gently caress off great machete.

The Highland Charge was a highly effective Scottish tactic that used a combination of firearms and a sword/targe. The tactic was mostly limited to the times, though; the bayonets at the time were ringed bayonets, which required your average soldier to somehow slide this thing on while a furious war-party of Highlanders are running towards you, swords at the ready, screaming Gaelic at the top of their lungs. Once fixed bayonets became a thing, it reverted to a mostly psychological tactic, intended to break an enemy line.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Video, politics & music:

Howling Wolf explains what is the Blues.

PJ Harvey attacks David Cameron, is cut off by the host (Andrew Marr). Everyone misses the point of her album.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Vermain posted:

The Highland Charge was a highly effective Scottish tactic that used a combination of firearms and a sword/targe. The tactic was mostly limited to the times, though; the bayonets at the time were ringed bayonets, which required your average soldier to somehow slide this thing on while a furious war-party of Highlanders are running towards you, swords at the ready, screaming Gaelic at the top of their lungs. Once fixed bayonets became a thing, it reverted to a mostly psychological tactic, intended to break an enemy line.

I was speaking more of modern times when I was talking to a mate of mine who used to run in Glasgow Gangs. Asked him about guns and he looked at me as if I had just said his willy was an umbrella stand. Told me when he was running in the gangs it was the bigger the knife the bigger the man and using a gun was seen as a sign of not being a man. Anecdotal I know, but it's how I understand it.

Producer: Oh Christ, she's going to embarrass the Prime Minister! Get rid of her, Andrew! For Fucks sake get rid of her!

Left wing bias etc.

Frank Zappa: I am the Slime

Frank Zappa on Pat Robertson and Iran-Contra

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:sigh:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/WCAS-D-12-00048.1

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I can't access the full text of the article but that can't possibly be experimental data.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How they handle snow in Bristol, England.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Rhandhali posted:

Exactly. Best estimates are that maybe 160 people a year are "saved" by helmet laws. In the meantime that's hundreds of thousands of people not on bikes and in their cars.

It's almost like there are other things that make cycling dangerous that have nothing at all to do with helmets! Imagine that. Also, when you require kids to wear bike helmets guess what happens? They stop cycling. They then become adults who don't cycle and consider the bicycle as a children's toy and not a real method of transportation, perpetuating the cycle,

12 deaths in five years. Truly an epidemic.

Can you cite a reputable source for even one of the six statements you made in this post? It sounds to me like you heard a statistic about safety in numbers for cyclists (how accidents decrease relative to the number of cyclists on the road in the summer, for example) and ran with it. You're making a number of really far-reaching assumptions based on nothing, and that's generally not a great starting point for discussing public policy.

Cyclists not wearing helmets are costly to the general population in the same way that drivers not wearing seatbelts are: if and when they're in a serious accident, a small piece of safety equipment becomes a determining factor in whether they're injured, or whether they're dead. And how, may I ask, can you possibly pin anything on the habits of cyclists themselves, when nearly every bike-related collision involves a car?

Edit: the best part of that completely unlabeled chart you posted was the 29 states with "no data," as if we knew what we were looking at anyway.

TheSnowySoviet fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rhandhali posted:

A bunch of stupid, unsourced horseshit
I sincerely hope you get a brain injury and lose the ability to type very soon so you don't put others at risk by giving out dangerously bad advice. More bikes on the road isn't going to protect your head, and all the fragile poo poo contained within, in a fall or collision. Everyone else should wear a helmet.

• Locked thread