Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

At this point Kirby is the best franchise to buy every iteration of if you want new and interesting ideas from Nintendo.

Return to dreamland was absolutely the poo poo. Kirby is a series that doesn't need to be changed, it needs to be refined into a game that people older than eight can enjoy.

But yes, Kirby and F-zero are the biggest offenders of "same old, same old."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

deadwing posted:

Then again, if you don't like the "same old Nintendo franchises," perhaps buying a Nintendo console was never the right decision for you in the first place.

If people are really turned off from buying a Nintendo console because of franchise burn out then that headline isn't as outrageous as people are making it out to be. Though I'd argue the issue isn't that Nintendo isn't doing enough different stuff, its that they need to make it clearer that just because a game has a familiar face it doesn't mean it's the same game you've been playing for 20 years.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wouldn't mind F-Zero's same old same old if they would just make another one!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

I wouldn't mind F-Zero's same old same old if they would just make another one!

If anything adding more weapons, better courses and the ability to destroy the Computer controlled characters would all be things that are a welcome addition to the series. I always felt that the ideal F-Zero is somewhere inbetween Hydro Thunder and Wipeout. I've always had the issue with F-Zero that it's never been a very pretty game in any of the installments and there's always one thing that trips up the racing aspect.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^
There are no weapons in F-zero, and I think fans of the series would be livid if you added them in. You've been able to destroy CPU opponents since forever.

Atomicated posted:

If people are really turned off from buying a Nintendo console because of franchise burn out then that headline isn't as outrageous as people are making it out to be. Though I'd argue the issue isn't that Nintendo isn't doing enough different stuff, its that they need to make it clearer that just because a game has a familiar face it doesn't mean it's the same game you've been playing for 20 years.

But then you have a big audience that wants the same game. It's the same drat problem that Disney has. Newcomers and some burned out veterans want the rides to be updated or replaced with more interesting ones, Disney changes one little thing and everyone else starts shouting and bitching.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

But then you have a big audience that wants the same game. It's the same drat problem that Disney has. Newcomers and some burned out veterans want the rides to be updated or replaced with more interesting ones, Disney changes one little thing and everyone else starts shouting and bitching.

In the case of Disney direct to DVD sequels they are perfectly right to be angry. :colbert: However Tangled and Wreck it Ralph have shown that their 3D animated movies can be on par with Pixar's, not only that but Frozen looks to be good too.

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^
There are no weapons in F-zero, and I think fans of the series would be livid if you added them in. You've been able to destroy CPU opponents since forever.

I should elaborate, make it easier to destroy them, have traps set among the courses that severely damage or one shot guys. Weapons are something the series needs just to make it more exciting/fun to play with more people.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 25, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

But yes, Kirby and F-zero are the biggest offenders of "same old, same old."

There are more non-traditional Kirby games than traditional ones.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

WendigoJohnson posted:

I should elaborate, make it easier to destroy them, have traps set among the courses that severely damage or one shot guys. Weapons are something the series needs just to make it more exciting/fun to play with more people.

I don't need the computer fighting back, they already drive perfectly on Hard Mode on GX. You'd never beat the game. Also, going fast isn't exciting enough?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are more non-traditional Kirby games than traditional ones.

I'm not referring to all of the games that are clearly "Some other game featuring Kirby" like canvas course, mass attack, pinball, etc., but the "core" games. poo poo before return to dreamland the series has actually lacked features that were in Kirby Superstar, a game released sixteen years ago.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Edoraz posted:

I don't need the computer fighting back, they already drive perfectly on Hard Mode on GX. You'd never beat the game. Also, going fast isn't exciting enough?

Weapons make everything better. If you're playing with 4-5 people, weapons help even the odds and add an element of fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
F-Zero is not an "even the odds" sort of game.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm not referring to all of the games that are clearly "Some other game featuring Kirby" like canvas course, mass attack, pinball, etc., but the "core" games. poo poo before return to dreamland the series has actually lacked features that were in Kirby Superstar, a game released sixteen years ago.

Sure, but there were three scrapped games in between Kirby 64 and Kirby Wii, so any perceived "safeness" wasn't from lack of trying (and failing) to do something new. The handheld ones in between (Mazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, etc) were by different devs, hence why they weren't particularly interesting.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I could see weapons working in F-Zero as an optional element, but every game in the series thus far is already hard as balls without the AIs having missiles or death lasers.

quote:

I've always had the issue with F-Zero that it's never been a very pretty game in any of the installments...
Huh? GX was a fine looking game for its time.

Crowbear posted:

Or maybe they just weren't that excited by the announcement of yet another round of sequels to the same Nintendo franchises and they don't have some weird ulterior motive that makes them poo poo on Nintendo?!
I can certainly understand that as well, but what I'm not seeing is the widespread disappointment that McShea and the other articles mentioned. It looks to me like they're taking their own personal reactions and reporting them as the feelings of a larger, vaguely defined cloud of Nintendo fans. Which aside from being lovely journalism also sets a tone for Nintendo coverage and contributes to the media narrative.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Gaming journalism is full of people who want to see games pushed to their limits at all times. They want to see just how far the industry can go. This is why they despise Nintendo. Nintendo represents a conservative viewpoint in gaming where you have to play it smart with your toolset, instead of do as much as you can with what you have until you're told the toolset has changed and there's new tools to use that will be better than your older tools.

There's a genuine fear with many that if Nintendo stands atop of the gaming world and PC for some reason doesn't respond, gaming will die. It will be given a man made cap and innovation will be forever suppressed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GX still loving looks good at even at a low res. It's the only game I could play on the Wii that didn't look like blurry garbage on an HDTV, and it's one of the very few games back then that ran at 60 FPS.

quote:

I can certainly understand that as well, but what I'm not seeing is the widespread disappointment that McShea and the other articles mentioned. It looks to me like they're taking their own personal reactions and reporting them as the feelings of a larger, vaguely defined cloud of Nintendo fans. Which aside from being lovely journalism also sets a tone for Nintendo coverage and contributes to the media narrative.

Well, announcing a new Zelda/Mario title is like announcing next year's CoD or announcing that the sun will rise tomorrow. But all the other stuff was pretty drat exciting.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Gaming journalism is full of people who want to see games pushed to their limits at all times. They want to see just how far the industry can go. This is why they despise Nintendo. Nintendo represents a conservative viewpoint in gaming where you have to play it smart with your toolset, instead of do as much as you can with what you have until you're told the toolset has changed and there's new tools to use that will be better than your older tools.

There's a genuine fear with many that if Nintendo stands atop of the gaming world and PC for some reason doesn't respond, gaming will die. It will be given a man made cap and innovation will be forever suppressed.
You know, I've never heard this expressed, but it strikes me as something that people might actually think. Where did you get this idea, Dipper?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gendo posted:

I don't even know what Bayonetta is but I googled it and man that looks like something I wouldn't want to walk up to a counter with.

I sometimes get embarrassed when I buy Nintendo games too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

You know, I've never heard this expressed, but it strikes me as something that people might actually think. Where did you get this idea, Dipper?

I went to college for Journalism and New Media. It's an opinion I've heard expressed by tech journalists before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I'm of the opinion that gaming journalism is the lowest of the low in terms of quality.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I went to college for Journalism and New Media. It's an opinion I've heard expressed by tech journalists before.

That is interesting. Would kinda explain why I feel that VG journalism have such a love/hate relationship with Nintendo sometimes (when it's not outright hate or "for clicks").

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Ascribing a (fairly nutty) viewpoint to an entire profession based on anecdotal experience with people in a sort or similar field doesn't sound like something someone who studied journalism should do!

If that's your theory, fine. But trying to state it as fact for why people despise Nintendo (hyperboleeeeeee!) is a little weird.

I don't see why people keep trying to explain these stories. Some journalists are bad and write sensationalist stuff for clicks, some just aren't as big of Nintendo fans as you are and are legitimately disappointed. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 25, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
First party games on a Nintendo console, the horror!

Look at what happened to Paper Mario: Sticker Star when they changed the formula, even though I personally think it's a fantastic game a significant amount of people wouldn't even give it a try because it didn't have partners or whatever.

"Game Journalism" has made up it's mind at this point, it doesn't matter what Nintendo does they will twist it in a way to write something negative. Wii U is failing because it isn't selling like the Wii, Nintendo's first party games are stagnant retreads and they don't have the third party support...and so on.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm of the opinion that gaming journalism is the lowest of the low in terms of quality.

You have never seen pro wrestling journalism.

Crowbear posted:

Ascribing a (fairly nutty) viewpoint to an entire profession

Never said that's the viewpoint of everyone in the medium. Just said it's full of them. It also didn't just come up from thin air but when I've talked to different people. When I've talked to gaming journalists or tech journalists I hear a bias against Nintendo quite often and when we can keep the discussion civil instead of it falling into a big "MY TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR TEAM" thing, they tend to express that viewpoint. They want games to continue evolving and advancing. They are fine with Nintendo being a niché but the idea of the industry following Nintendo's footsteps scares the crap out of them. Usually the more reasonable journalists who didn't start writing about gaming just for free swag don't hold those views about Nintendo. They could care less. They are not in it to cheerlead.

Funny enough, the opinion on Nintendo? Very similar to a commonly expressed opinion on mobile gaming. Mario and Angry Birds are cut from the same cloth in their eyes.

I do agree with you that a lot of them do it for the clicks or know that anti-Nintendo sentiment will bring a discussion. Well, not always. Yahtzee from Escapist, who has rarely expressed a positive viewpoint on anything Nintendo wrote a terrible article called The Death of Mario which got 78 comments. Nintendo isn't really his market so stuff like his "Black Ops 2 is like a rich jerk" article got over 200 comments. Mario didn't really bring the hits for him there, though the whole article reads as a desperate ploy for attention.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

And again, my issue isn't whether Tom McShea, personally, felt disappointed with the presentation, but that he claimed that there was widespread disappointment. To which I can only respond with a big ol' "Citation Needed"

An editorial on "Why I was disappointed with the presentation" is something different than "Tom McShea explains why Nintendo's game announcements fail to muster much excitement."

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 25, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Chaltab posted:

And again, my issue isn't whether Tom McShea, personally, felt disappointed with the presentation, but that he claimed that there was widespread disappointment. To which I can only respond with a big ol' "Citation Needed"

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. I'd imagine most games journalists interact with other games journalists fairly frequently, and from what I've seen, their collective response to it all was a huge "meh," including all the most even-handed journalists I follow. They could be misinterpreting the views of their peers as the views of the general public?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 25, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Wasn't Tom McShea the guy who said that Skyward Sword's controls were unresponsive and made it unplayable? Or am I entirely off-base?

edit:

Crowbear posted:

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. I'd imagine most games journalists interact with are other games journalists fairly frequently, and from what I've seen, their collective response to it all was a huge "meh," including all the most even-handed journalists I follow. They could be misinterpreting the views of their peers as the views of the general public?

That could probably be true too. Also, though I do think of VG journalism as the lowest of the low, I do think both sides are hyperboling it a fair amount.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 25, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anytime you find an article titled "Why such and such is true" or "Journalist explains why a situation is a problem" it's almost always full of bullshit and unsourced claims. It's second only to "Is thing going to cause you trouble?" in article titles you know will lead to poorly written crap.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wasn't Tom McShea the guy who said that Skyward Sword's controls were unresponsive and made it unplayable? Or am I entirely off-base?

Nope, you're correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGyGY3bI2s

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Plenty of people getting mad about words on the Internet.

Who gives a gently caress? If the Wii U ends up being a swan song like the Dreamcast and not a wet fart like the Jaguar then wutev. If they survive the wutev. Gaming press is terrible and will always be terrible. Get over it and move on.

So far Nintendo is doing great by me. Far more titles I care about for the Wii U than this point in the Wii's life where it was just counting down until the new Smash Bros was released. Can't wait for Wonderful 101, SMT vs Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2 (wife really wants this game soon), Pikmin 3, and poo poo loads more.

Best thing was not a single brown, minority killing, racist's wet dream shooter in the lot.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nope, you're correct:

video!

Nice. Also, looking through the thumbnails, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOQ7LXfYjg

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Gaming press is terrible and will always be terrible. Get over it and move on.

This is where I disagree. Once upon a time it was merely average. Maybe mediocre.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Bayonetta 2 (wife really wants this game soon)

Wait a second, you mean your female wife is ok with this game with a boob in it that I've never played but I'm sure is super embarrassing and would bring down the wrath of whatever cash register operator I hand it to? You don't have to hide it from anyone you know lest you be shunned from society and forced to live in a cave? My god... I may have to rethink some things...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you've already completed The Cave once, try carrying one of those hot dogs from the beginning through the game next time.

Hopefully there are some more tricks like this.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is where I disagree. Once upon a time it was merely average. Maybe mediocre.
It's always seemed pretty bad to me, but I'll agree that it seems to have managed to get worse. Might be a media thing in general though, just that tech and gaming are relatively young vs other fields so coverage never got as good as them to begin with? Or perhaps something with the age of most people involved on both the coverage and audience side of things, like just less maturity on average compared to other fields.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To be fair, Skyward Sword DID have iffy motion controls at least for some (possibly due to inconsistencies with the motion plus dongle), because when I tried to duplicate that video with ol' kissyface, Link started swinging at some weeeeird angles.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

If you've already completed The Cave once, try carrying one of those hot dogs from the beginning through the game next time.

Hopefully there are some more tricks like this.

Yeah I was wondering about the can of corn and some of the other things. Haven't tried that yet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

To be fair, Skyward Sword DID have iffy motion controls at least for some (possibly due to inconsistencies with the motion plus dongle), because when I tried to duplicate that video with ol' kissyface, Link started swinging at some weeeeird angles.

I only ever had issues with stabbing, everything else was fine for me. Struggling to stab made skulltulas the worst thing in the world.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

japtor posted:

You didn't need to change wind to turn :colbert:
Uh... yes you did?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think "vaporware" complaints are valid. You can't say "we're working on games X, Y, and Z, but we can't show you any video, screens, or indeed any art assets at all or even concept art". If you don't have anything to show, don't announce the game. If you want to announce a game you better show something.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Yeah, a lot of problems with Skyward Sword came with discrepancies between the Motion Plus addon and the actual controller with it built in. I don't know enough about the actual technology to go into detail, but I remember hearing things about bandwidth limitations on controller addons, and that would make sense. It seems like far more problems arise with the game's controls between the two in my personal experience anyway.

...thrust attacks were always a pain in the rear end, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Uh... yes you did?

I think japtor means that there were all sorts of creative tricks you could use to avoid having to play the song so often. Such as sailing perpendicular to the wind or tacking to sail short distances completely against it. It added a lot of depth to the game when I realized you could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

It's nice to see "gaming journalism" has caught up with the rest of journalism now. The sky is always falling and the end is near. Whoever said Nintendo was smart by not announcing N64/Genesis VC at this Nintendo Direct because of the 24 hour news cycle was spot on.

• Locked thread