Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So I've got about a week left to get in 30 hours of CLE by the end of the month. How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lawline, especially the audio format, is your friend.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

gret posted:

So I've got about a week left to get in 30 hours of CLE by the end of the month. How hosed am I?

Website that poo poo. I just realized that the "live in person" portion of my cle can be fullfilled by watching recordings of past events online. :iiam: Put sporting game on tv, click play on laptop, profit.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

xxEightxx posted:

Website that poo poo. I just realized that the "live in person" portion of my cle can be fullfilled by watching recordings of past events online. :iiam: Put sporting game on tv, click play on laptop, profit.

That would be unethical, you should watch something like Suits or Law and Order.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I usually put recordings on to listen to when I draw, but then I stopped after I accidentally drew Paul Ryan

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Bro Enlai posted:

I usually put recordings on to listen to when I draw, but then I stopped after I accidentally drew Paul Ryan

Have you ever done any Warhammer-themed law comics? If not I would formally like to request a Warhammer law comic. 40k.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Jove posted:

First day of arraignments for my pd clinical.

:ughh:

I'm beginning to think i don't have the stomach for crim.

Trials are the biggest rush of adrenaline in history; it can be, at least for me, like having a fight or flight response going on all day long for a week or so. I'm going to wear out my adrenal glands at this rate.

Also you can get habituated to the anxiety of it pretty easily. Over time you will end up in a series of events that are absolutely ludicrous and terrifying and things that will quickly become second nature. I don't think you could surreptitiously write a book revealing all the real conversations you have with your clients and actually be taken seriously.

As an aside: the number of times I've had to explain to clients that are accused of raping their child that consent isn't a defense is unsettling. The number isn't high, mind you, but anything over 0 is unsettling to me in this regard.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 25, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Torpor posted:

Trials are the biggest rush of adrenaline in history; it can be, at least for me, like having a fight or flight response going on all day long for a week or so. I'm going to wear out my adrenal glands at this rate.

Also you can get habituated to the anxiety of it pretty easily. Over time you will end up in a series of events that are absolutely ludicrous and terrifying and things that will quickly become second nature. I don't think you could surreptitiously write a book revealing all the real conversations you have with your clients and actually be taken seriously.

As an aside: the number of times I've had to explain to clients that are accused of raping their child that consent isn't a defense is unsettling. The number isn't high, mind you, but anything over 0 is unsettling to me in this regard.

At our orientation at my current job, one of the older PDs said it best "This is a crazy loving job, a great job, but loving crazy."
Speaking of that, does anyone know a PD who doesn't curse like a sailor basically every moment they're not in court?

I think if you don't curse, you probably have to go do a boring soul sucking job like tax, patents, or being a DA.

(For the record, most DAs also curse like sailors.)

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I love it when 0L's accuse those advising them not to go to law school to be doing so because they are afraid said 0L's will eventually take their jobs.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

At our orientation at my current job, one of the older PDs said it best "This is a crazy loving job, a great job, but loving crazy."
Speaking of that, does anyone know a PD who doesn't curse like a sailor basically every moment they're not in court?

I think if you don't curse, you probably have to go do a boring soul sucking job like tax, patents, or being a DA.

Patent lawyers also curse. A lot. (Prosecutors might not, but if you only do prosecution, you are only sort of a lawyer.)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

insanityv2 posted:

I love it when 0L's accuse those advising them not to go to law school to be doing so because they are afraid said 0L's will eventually take their jobs.

I overheard my boss the other day: We're happy but not ecstatic about HolySwissCheese's work. I say we keep him around until 2017. There's a hotshot history senior at Notre Dame I met last week, and I bet we could bring him in once he finishes law school and then we'll fire HolySwissCheese.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

And don't forget gallows humor. This morning's gem, riffing on police interrogation techniques: "I know, I bet she was looking pretty provocative ... in that diaper."

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Just make sure not to ignore it completely because some webcasts make you answer a question or enter an ID number in the middle to make sure you're there.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

nm posted:

One of the attorneys I worked with at my clerkship over the summer was pretty restrained, it was kind of impressive. Our chief made up for it and then some extra in that department though.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Torpor posted:

I'm in bankruptcy instead of crim, so it's a far lower temperature but this fits exactly. I've just gotten used to walking into court thinking "Man, it'd be nice if I didn't lose my client's house today". That used to bother me for some reason. Every day I'm going over the personal spending choices of the self-selected few. It's not child rape defense, but I'm routinely talking people out of going on a fraudulent spending spree the week before they file bankruptcy. "Is it worth a felony to buy that go-cart with a bad check?" (unconvinced) "Yes, they will take the go-cart back" (convinced)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

HolySwissCheese posted:

Sounds like a bunch of billable hours if you read every last comma.

Unless you are an associate in a large law firm, billable hours are only good if someone actually ends up paying for them.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SlyFrog posted:

Unless you are an associate in a large law firm, billable hours are only good if someone actually ends up paying for them.

The solo/small firm's lament. God, if I could get all my client's to pay me? I don't know what I'd do with myself.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

insanityv2 posted:

Only if my job is not getting paid to apply to jobs.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

I'm in bankruptcy instead of crim, so it's a far lower temperature but this fits exactly. I've just gotten used to walking into court thinking "Man, it'd be nice if I didn't lose my client's house today". That used to bother me for some reason. Every day I'm going over the personal spending choices of the self-selected few. It's not child rape defense, but I'm routinely talking people out of going on a fraudulent spending spree the week before they file bankruptcy. "Is it worth a felony to buy that go-cart with a bad check?" (unconvinced) "Yes, they will take the go-cart back" (convinced)

But Woozle, how will they ever know!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kalman posted:

Patent lawyers also curse. A lot. (Prosecutors might not, but if you only do prosecution, you are only sort of a lawyer.)

gently caress you, we try cases for a living. Lots of them.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

LLCoolJD posted:

God I'm so jealous of your name. I need it as a license plate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

Patent prosecutors, my friend. Not criminal.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kalman posted:

LLCoolJD posted:

Kalman posted:

Truth be told, a guy with a shotgun and a barrel of fish is only sort of a fisherman.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

They've since took it down, and apologized.

https://twitter.com/KaplanBarReview/status/294917995904512000

A: Also they got reddit mad and anything that gets reddit mad, I approve of:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/179z0f/screw_you_kaplan/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Perhaps we should strike out "Started out Barrister" from the thread title to eliminate the intermediate step that apparently no longer exists?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

insanityv2 posted:

They've since took it down, and apologized.

https://twitter.com/KaplanBarReview/status/294917995904512000

A: Also they got reddit mad and anything that gets reddit mad, I approve of:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/179z0f/screw_you_kaplan/

I didn't see anything else there besides that rack.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

God I'm so jealous of your name. I need it as a license plate.

I didn't come up with it, I was just the first Goon to use it.

Kalman posted:

Ah okay, my mistake. The cursing was there to prove we do curse, by the way, and not to start an internet fight.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Can we add this to the OP please

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That Reddit thread with people crying about how inappropriate it was to post that is hilarious.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

Not even a "gently caress the Japanese?" Hire a loving human being to read your application before you file it tia

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Not even a "gently caress the Japanese?" Hire a loving human being to read your application before you file it tia

I feel like this statement also applies to office actions.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I had a brief miserable existence doing foreign-originated prosecution (though Korea, not Japan). I was given four-six hours to respond to an office action in an application I had never read before, and that frequently required a complete re-write of the spec.

A poo poo translator can't be that expensive, can it?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I was talking to an undergrad today after a lab meeting. She's an econ major and I asked her what she was planning to do after college. "Well, I used to think I wanted to be an investment banker," she said, "but I've been reading Too Big To Fail and other books and they just seem like terrible people. Obsessed with prestige and taking advantage of folks and work consuming their lives."

I nodded. So now what, I asked.

"I'm thinking of going to law school."

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Petey posted:

I was talking to an undergrad today after a lab meeting. She's an econ major and I asked her what she was planning to do after college. "Well, I used to think I wanted to be an investment banker," she said, "but I've been reading Too Big To Fail and other books and they just seem like terrible people. Obsessed with prestige and taking advantage of folks and work consuming their lives."

If you have no work, it can't consume your life. Sounds like a good decision. :thumbsup:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Petey posted:

I've been reading, too. The legal profession is like the novel The Road, with law jobs being hidden stashes of food.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

If you have no work, it can't consume your life. Sounds like a good decision. :thumbsup:

"I'll be top 10%. I just know it."

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Trust me, you're not seeing the worst of it. The applications are clean compared to their "instructions" sometimes.

Also why won't they stop using fax machines :sassargh:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Petey posted:

Obsessed with prestige and taking advantage of folks and work consuming their lives."

I know you're just being funny and it is funny. But I actually object to the insinuation that lawyers categorically take advantage of people. I treat every client during every interaction with as much respect, dignity and benefit of the doubt as I possibly can, and that's not merely a product of my age because I see lots of even ancient attorneys at my firm who do the same. I also do see plenty of people who cheat, pad and duplicate bill but also plenty who just don't, or who give discounts when things go wrong, or who make deals for people who cannot afford to do otherwise.

There a billion disheartening and awful things about being a lawyer and there are also plenty of shitheap vulture attorneys but there is still a lot of room to do good in this profession

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Oh stop it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Feces Starship posted:

I know you're just being funny and it is funny. But I actually object to the insinuation that lawyers categorically take advantage of people.

There a billion disheartening and awful things about being a lawyer and there are also plenty of shitheap vulture attorneys but there is still a lot of room to do good in this profession

I know, and I agree. I meant it more on a joke on her idealism and naiveté and a sign that the work of this thread is not yet done.

Or, if she's less of a naif than I thought, it's an even more damning indictment on investment bankers (that they are so terrible that even the "billion disheartening and awful things" looks attractive by comparison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Petey posted:

Or, if she's less of a naif than I thought, it's an even more damning indictment on investment bankers (that they are so terrible that even the "billion disheartening and awful things" looks attractive by comparison).

As someone who spent 3 months doing doc review in a Lehman Bros case, I can confirm that Investment Bankers are much worse than lawyers.