Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vacation in kabul posted:

I'm starting to get stretch marks where my biceps, delts, and pecs meet near the armpit. Mostly on my biceps. Is there any way for me to stop from having my alabaster skin ruined? I really don't want to stop my swoleness from getting swollier.

do not buy prescription skin cream made in india online

just dont :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

I'm starting to get stretch marks where my biceps, delts, and pecs meet near the armpit. Mostly on my biceps. Is there any way for me to stop from having my alabaster skin ruined? I really don't want to stop my swoleness from getting swollier.

I got these all the time when I first started lifting, I think it's a redhead thing, people suggested cocoa butter but gently caress that

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Stretch marks are cool, you pussy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Coconut oil supposedly works for that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's also delicious.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

DoktorLoken posted:

It's also delicious.

It's all part of the international communist conspiracy's attempts to sap and pollute our precious bodily fluids. This time so they can go long pig hunting with this. For the love of god don't seasoning yourself if you've noticed suspicious people following you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I've been waking up at 5:30 to go to the gym or run before work now for like a month. It's amazing how much more focused, energetic, and relaxed I am on the days I do work out versus the days that I don't.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I get into this cycle where I feel crappy because I don't work out, so then I don't work out because I feel crappy, and then I spiral into depression.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm doing an experiment to see if I can substantially improve my 2 mile run time by doing nothing but HIIT (and having a lot of heart, obv). Mainly because I'm a little bitch that doesn't like running in the cold at 5:30 AM, but also because after reading a bunch of poo poo it seems like a run of that distance is governed more by anaerobic respiration.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What are you doing for HIIT workouts? I hate indoor cardio and only doing it for 5-10 minutes is highly appealing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One minute of warmup at a moderate pace beforehand. 40 seconds of hard sprinting and 20 seconds of recovery at a moderate run for 15-20 minutes depending on how hooah you're feeling that morning.

It's a lot easier if you have a treadmill that lets you program the intervals, but I just punch in the numbers on the keypad.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I test my new squat max this afternoon. It's all I can think about at work. I think I have a problem.

Current max is 315. I'm shooting for 325 or 330.

For reference I'm on week 4 of this program.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Psh, I can't wait until your level of cardio capacity becomes the new standard payscale.

I'm gonna make billions, eatin dinosaur eggs in my loving mansion smoking crack rock.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
20 lb squat PR for 335 lbs and 20 lb push press PR for 195 lbs. Feels good man. I'm gonna eat some meat now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm on day 10(9 or 11? who knows, I'm not keeping the calendar) of my second round of Insanity. Holy poo poo, I forgot how much this sucks balls. Plus side is there are a couple guys doing it with me, but dear God do I feel like a little bitch at the end of every workout, and I'm only doing the month one poo poo.

I think after this round, I'm going to have to start lifting, because I don't want to look like Christian Bale in The Machinist.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I loving haaaaaaate running during winter so I think I'm going to start doing the HIIT thing on run days. If I can get away with only running and hating it for 15-20 minutes a day instead of 30-60 minutes, I'm all for it.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

So you think this guys really a major? Kinda made me think of Encino man from Generation Kill.

vains
May 26, 2004

Bright Eyes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

So you think this guys really a major? Kinda made me think of Encino man from Generation Kill.

I knew 1 super jacked officer. He was a pretty big piece of poo poo though.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
375 deadlift! So close to 400. I try again in 4 weeks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Keep at it dude.

I had a poo poo day where after pulling 380 lb fairly easy, I literally could not put down any more power for a 405 lb attempt. The bar barely jostled off the floor. Dropping to 285 lb for some accessory work felt the exact same way. All I could figure was that doing squat heavy singles on Tuesday fried me pretty good. So yea, heavy singles should be done sparingly over the month.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
As a heavy single I'm pretty angry at that remark

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

genderstomper58 posted:

As a heavy single I'm pretty angry at that remark

:cheeky:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What were your sets leading up to the 400 attempt like? I know I really hosed myself over on my last deadlift 1RM attempt by making too small jumps.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I follow lift big eat big and their advice on a pr attempt is to start with the bar and add 10 percent of your max for every set (2 rep sets, then 1 rep sets the heavier it gets) leading up to your old max. So previous max of 350 had me starting at 45 lbs and adding 35 every set till around 320. Rest 5 minutes and hit old record. Then ad weight and rest at your own discretion.

It took a solid 4 or 5 seconds to get that weight up so I didn't even try to move higher.

Edit: after 350 I went to 365 then 375.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012
I do morning PT at :spergin:Defense Language Institute :spergin:. If you're into Gym Jones/Crossfit/Practical fitness stuff, I post my stuff weekly somewhere else, let me know if you care to see it. Otherwise, here's our 1st week of the program. Variant of my 4 month OEF deployment workout, made TRADOC-safe.

Anyway. Starts on a Tuesday, since I lost my notebook for now.

WEEK 1.

Tuesday-
Sprinting ladder.
1 min. sprint, 1 min rest.
1 min sprint, :50 rest.
1 min sprint, :40 rest.
so on, until :10 rest.

Then either ladder your way back to 1 min, or rest 2 min and do it all over again.

Wednesday:
WEDNESDAY: W/U 3x6 Barbell Complex @ 45#, DWU. Ed: The Clean. METCON: //10 to 1 Cleans, Clapping Pushups, Jump Squat, Heavy KB Swing

Thursday: 4 mile run at 2 mile pace + 30 seconds/mile.

Friday- 25x Pullup 50x 135 lbs Deadlifts 50x Pushups 50x 24" B.Jump 50x Floor Wipers 50x 1ARM KBC&P @ 35# 25xPullups.

Floor Wipers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcNGCG2L0OA

KB C&P= Kettlebell Clean and Press, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-pZDdW3yA

METCON= Metabolic Conditioning.

DWU= Dynamic Warmup, taking all of your joints through their full range of motion with light weight (5-10 lbs), takes about 10 mins.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012

overdesigned posted:

I loving haaaaaaate running during winter so I think I'm going to start doing the HIIT thing on run days. If I can get away with only running and hating it for 15-20 minutes a day instead of 30-60 minutes, I'm all for it.

Towards the last few pages of this, there's some decent interval training running workouts that take 10-20 mins per interval.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312

There's an SF chief in my class that insists that Tabata sprints uphill are the holy grail of 2 mile/short interval running, but I'm too tied to the 5 miles under 45 min standard to fully believe just yet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have a weight lifting spreadsheet based on Jamie Lewis' powerlifting routine if anyone is interested.

***crossfitters need not apply***

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have a weight lifting spreadsheet based on Jamie Lewis' powerlifting routine if anyone is interested.

***crossfitters need not apply***

I'd like to check it out. When I'm through with my current program in 4 weeks I want to do something with more bench pressing. I want nice looking boobs.

vains
May 26, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'd like to check it out. When I'm through with my current program in 4 weeks I want to do something with more bench pressing. I want nice looking boobs.

Doing poo poo other than bench is good for making your chest bigger.*

*Unless you make a conscious effort to activate your pecs.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/benching-with-the-pecs.html

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Doing poo poo other than bench is good for making your chest bigger.

Ya if you wanna get a bigger chest, go talk to some bodybuilders. Powerlifting isn't very ideal for getting sick pecs.

Anyhow, here's the spreadsheet. Fill in your 1RM then add 10lb to squat/DL, 5lb to bench/OHP every month when done with the month. Every 2-3 months or so, I'll go for new 1RM's for an update. All weights to the right are from your 90% est 1RM. For accessory work, I do poo poo that is tailored to the lift like deadlift will be 5x5 of bent over rows, shrugs, or wide grip pull ups but before those a 3-5x5 at 60% of my est 1RM for volume. Or you could do whatever for the weights. Pick something that isn't going to smoke you for 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps For the actual working sets, I'll do the sets x reps listed and maybe do a few more at a higher weight if I feel good that day.

The spreadsheet itself is like 90% good with how the numbers are generated, but feel free to add 5-10lb where you see fit for the sets. Sets in the 3-5 range work best for me so that's why this sheet is the way it is. Staggered days help to be really fresh for heavy lifting days.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1745847199/working%20routine.xls

For a more exact version of what I'm doing, go read Jamie Lewis' e-book. http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/09/destroy-opposition.html?zx=3212609a0675afc0

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I suck at lifting. My DL max is up to 475, but I can't really squat more than 315 without wanting to kill myself, and I'm still struggling with 250 on bench. For some reason I'm able to keep adding to my DL, but my other lifts have pretty much plateaued. Am I retarded?

Also, ran yesterday with my friend who I haven't worked out with in a few months, and she smoked me. I felt awful and wanted to throw up after the first 5k. gently caress Minot. gently caress being inside all winter. I think I'm going to go back to two-a-days until I fix myself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What have you been doing as a routine?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

What have you been doing as a routine?

Sporadic horrible crap. Mostly just a lot of pyramiding weight up and down for compound lifts.

I just started rotating a different compound lift each day and doing a lot of reps and a lot of sets at a medium weight so I can get my endurance back up. For instance, today I did 9 sets of squats, since I'm awful at squats and I'm trying to fix my form with lower weight so I don't sacrifice it when I try to put more on the bar. And running. I'm trying to run more because I had an abysmal time on my last PT test (still got a 90, Air Force HURRRR).

vains
May 26, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

Sporadic horrible crap. Mostly just a lot of pyramiding weight up and down for compound lifts.

I just started rotating a different compound lift each day and doing a lot of reps and a lot of sets at a medium weight so I can get my endurance back up. For instance, today I did 9 sets of squats, since I'm awful at squats and I'm trying to fix my form with lower weight so I don't sacrifice it when I try to put more on the bar. And running. I'm trying to run more because I had an abysmal time on my last PT test (still got a 90, Air Force HURRRR).

Why pyramid weights on compound lifts?

If your squat form sucks, squat whatever you feel comfortable at for 3-5 sets and then leg press. Doing 9 sets sounds a little crazy to me.

Whenever I plateau on a lift, I just change the exercise or rep range for 4-6 weeks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smertrioslol posted:

Well there's your problem right there. If you're having form problems, fixing that poo poo will be good to do so you're on the right track there. Maybe do a specific routine like Texas Method for deadlift and 5x5 for squat, bench? I feel like you probably haven't tapped out all of your easy gains on those lifts yet. Then again, I don't know how tall or big you are. Go in the powerlifting thread. Ask those guys for some are much, much smarter and have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Well there's your problem right there. If you're having form problems, fixing that poo poo will be good to do so you're on the right track there. Maybe do a specific routine like Texas Method for deadlift and 5x5 for squat, bench? I feel like you probably haven't tapped out all of your easy gains on those lifts yet. Then again, I don't know how tall or big you are. Go in the powerlifting thread. Ask those guys for some are much, much smarter and have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

I feel like my lifts are out of proportion. I can deadlift a scary amount of weight compared to what I can squat/bench. I'll start looking up actual intermediate routines and start those as soon as I'm back on a regular schedule. ALS and hours of air force homework sucks.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Have you had your form checked? I've seen a few people who have amazing squats but lovely DL's/benches or any mixture of that because they're missing a few key fundamental things in the movement.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Or he could just have long arms. Also, DLs are really easy to cheat on.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have long arms, so I've pretty much resigned myself to never benching insane amounts of weight. But I don't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

I have long arms, so I've pretty much resigned myself to never benching insane amounts of weight. But I don't really care.

How long? I know a dude with loving gorilla arms in both length and muscle mass. He benches poo poo-loads of weight. My arms are fairly long for my height (5'10") and before I injured my shoulder I was benching 265 at 190 body weight.

What I'm saying is, don't give up on raising your bench just because you have long arms.

btw DOMS from first post-JRTC squats and straight-leg/straight-back deadlifts suck, especially during sex.