Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
Well I feel silly. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Just a reminder, today is the last day for 25% off additional Character Slots, the Warden class, and the Rune Keeper class. New store sales start every Thursday night (EST).

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Falsey posted:

I recently jumped back on my old Guard who's my highest character of a few that I've played on and off since, apparently, '08. He's 56 now and I'm wondering what's best to do with all these drat legendaries clogging up my bags. I put them all up for auction for dirt cheap and only sold 2.

That's because everyone else has bags full of them, too. Like the guy above says, strip them down for parts. Then you'll have far more componants than you will ever need and you can strip them down for shards, and then you'll have far more shards than you'll ever need and erm...

There are far too many legendary weapons drops and they need to be nerfed.

DataSage
Nov 10, 2005

Sorry for the interruption, but this is a revolution.
Welp, finally decided which class I'm going to use (took me long enough). I'm going to stick with my LM. The name is Milenion, so I'd love an invite. Thanks.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have an alt that started Moria a few days ago for the 1st time since the revamp. It's nice not getting a bazillion quests that all send you in a different direction all at once. Getting a slow goat pretty early is nice too. It's too bad that I am too low level to use any of the task boards; those things really should be level 45 minimum.

Is it just me or did they add more color emphasis to the lighting and extend the view distance? It seems easier to find my way around then it did my first and second time through. Moria seems less black and oppressive but the color makes it seem more of a foreign, mysterious place.

As a data point, I went in as a Captain at level 45 after doing enough of the epic to get my two freebie legendary items, I have had only one death and that was due to a really unlucky multi pull with a signature that roamed onto me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

Do you enjoy finishing every fight in half the time and easily out dpsing elites 5 levels above you?

Then you may enjoy overpower.

Time to go pick up a two-hander with Khuzdul Tablets, then. Thanks for the tip!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I really need to get out of the Lone Lands. Not because it's not fun, I actually like it a lot, but you guys keep talking about all this awesome poo poo, and I want to see it, dammit!

With Quest packs... no one mentioned Enedwaith, Lothlorien, or the Great River... how do they hold up compared to the other stuff? Worth it?

I'll probably cave and buy the Triple pack sometime soon... ends up being basically worth it, even at full price.

Those three zones are fun, however they're not necessary to get you to 85. On my last trip to 85 I didn't touch any of them. If you stay in Moria until 60 or higher, you can go straight to Mirkwood and skip Lothlorien. Enedwaith and Great River are basically alternative zones these days.

kzin602 posted:

Is it just me or did they add more color emphasis to the lighting and extend the view distance? It seems easier to find my way around then it did my first and second time through. Moria seems less black and oppressive but the color makes it seem more of a foreign, mysterious place.

Yeah, a while back they made Moria not quite so dark. The extended view distance is game-wide now, not just Moria. You can see way off into the distance these days and that's a huge improvement over how it was at launch.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 24, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Prism posted:

Time to go pick up a two-hander with Khuzdul Tablets, then. Thanks for the tip!

Want a level 65 2nd age?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Want a level 65 2nd age?

I can't actually use it yet (I'm 57) but sure, if you have it just sitting around! I'm Cynalewyn.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Falsey posted:

I'm wondering what's best to do with all these drat legendaries clogging up my bags.

You should always have a few legendary just leveling up at all time. Once they reach level 30 you can save one legacy when you deconstruct them.
I usually keep a few item slots only for level up LI to 31, deconstruct jackpot on heritage, relics and legacy and switch them for fresh ones.

The LI for other class I sell them on the AH. Some will fetch a good price (Hunter's bow for example) and some other (mostly class items) will fetch just a few silver but it's already better than (almost) nothing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

With Quest packs... no one mentioned Enedwaith, Lothlorien, or the Great River... how do they hold up compared to the other stuff? Worth it?

More on this: those regions (with the possible exception of Lothlorien? I started shortly after Mirkwood, I dunno) are one-offs they released between expansions without increasing the level cap, and as such are sort of outside the character-advancement flow. The epic quest goes through them, so you should definitely at least drop by, but if all you're worried about is getting enough content to avoid falling behind in levels you probably won't need any of the quest packs (one at most).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AskYourself posted:

You should always have a few legendary just leveling up at all time. Once they reach level 30 you can save one legacy when you deconstruct them.
I usually keep a few item slots only for level up LI to 31, deconstruct jackpot on heritage, relics and legacy and switch them for fresh ones.

The LI for other class I sell them on the AH. Some will fetch a good price (Hunter's bow for example) and some other (mostly class items) will fetch just a few silver but it's already better than (almost) nothing.

Leveling them to 2/11/21/31/41/51 is a very good idea. You get extra relics for going to +1 after a reforge, so try to never melt them down right after a reforge (level 1 is considered a reforge, hence taking it to 2).

If you sell LIs on the AH, sell them un-ided. At low levels the id cost isn't bad, but at higher levels it will take a significant amount of your profit away. Plus, unless you end up with good legacies on id, there is a higher value in the potential legacies from an unidentified one.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Here's my captain's main bars, used for soloing stuff.

I agree it's a lot about muscle memory since you have a ton of options. I moved all of my herald/banner stuff to a right side taskbar, none of that really needs to be used immediately.

If I'm in a group, I will drag Words of Courage over to the last slot on the main bar, but otherwise haven't found anything useful to put there.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xZAOx posted:

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

Asking again because I'm still curious :)

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

So, I'm level 45. Didn't someone say there was a legendary item/quest/thing to do in Eregion? I can't find it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
You need to do the Epic quest line to get the legendary item. I don't remember if you have to start it in Rivendell, but there's a dwarf near Echad Dunnan that begins the actual quest line.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Chapter_1:_Strangers_in_Hollin

Edit: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Chapter_9:_A_Weapon_of_the_Elder_Days is where you actually get awarded the weapon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

This varies depending on what the endgame currently is. It usually involves doing group instances or dailies to get yourself good armor and materials for second-age legendary items, with which you can do HARDER group instances or raids, which can net you BETTER armor and materials for first-age legendary items and other goodies. Right now, as of this exact moment, there aren't really any RoR raids; that should get addressed next time there's a content patch (the patch earlier this week was a bugfix/balance patch and didn't actually add anything new unless I'm mistaken). There are still group instances, and tons of dailies.

Those dailies revolve around rebuilding the town of Hytbold. You get an allotment of 5 quests per day, which involve going back to the capitals of the four regions of eastern Rohan (the East Wall doesn't count on account of not having a capital) and helping with their war efforts. Each of these quests gets you five tokens, for a total of 25 per day. If you manage to do all of a given region's Hytbold dailies at least once, you complete a deed which gets you a bonus 25 tokens on top of whatever you earn from the individual quests. 5 or 10 (usually) of these tokens will rebuild a building in Hytbold or furnish an already-rebuilt building in some way. 15 or 35 of these tokens will get you a piece of armor from one of your class's 3 top level-85 armor sets. But each of those pieces of armor is only unlocked once you complete a corresponding rebuilding or enhancement action. For example, in order to barter for my champ's Gloves of the Hytbold Berserker, I had to rebuild the library; to barter for the corresponding helm, I had to rebuild the West Gate and also upgrade it once; etc etc etc. Adding conveniences like a stable or a superior forge to Hytbold are examples of rebuilding actions which are also practically useful; upgrading and outfitting a tower is an example of a rebuilding action which is just for flavor (and unlocking equipment).

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The three RoR raids are still scheduled for a February release, no clue which portion of the month but I'd guess the last half. The Hytbold rebuilding stuff was intended to give people something to do until the raids come out, however a lot of people finished it a month ago.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

loquacius posted:

More on this: those regions (with the possible exception of Lothlorien? I started shortly after Mirkwood, I dunno) are one-offs they released between expansions without increasing the level cap, and as such are sort of outside the character-advancement flow. The epic quest goes through them, so you should definitely at least drop by, but if all you're worried about is getting enough content to avoid falling behind in levels you probably won't need any of the quest packs (one at most).

I was mainly thinking in terms of cool quests and good storylines. I'm one of those idjits that plays games for story, so when given the alternatives of grinding out skirmishes or something to just level up to the cap or actually run around doing interesting story based quest content, I will always choose the latter, especially if it sends you to cool places and has some neat lore. Lothlorien and Great River sound like they both have a bit of that, so maybe when/if I start my spending spree on this, I'll check them out.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

xZAOx posted:

Asking again because I'm still curious :)

I'd say about 4-6 goons run end game raids. They could probably tell you more than what I say here since I'm more of a casual baby now. Raids are typically a 12 man (2 groups) and rarely a 24 man raid. Raids are serve usually as a conclusion to the story arc for the expansion or zone that you are in. Here are a list of the raid and level ranges off the top of my head. Some of these I never got around to doing or I dont remember what they stand for.

Rift (50) Fight a balrog!
Helegrod (50) Fight an undead dragon! (Scalable now)
The Watcher (60) Kill tentacle beast ( You know that thing from the movie!)
Turtle (60) source of turtle heads in kin hall.
DN (60) Evil stuff in moria
BG (65) gently caress with a Nazgul and stuff in mirkwood (Scalable now)
OD (65) gently caress with the gaunt lords ie Ivar
Dragioch (75) Kill a bigger dragon
ToO (75) Go gently caress with Saurman.

It would be nice to get goon raids but it doesnt happened much except for maybe a lower level raid. Typically what happens is, most goons dont make it to max level due to numerous reasons. If you do make it max level, goon groups are attempted and PUG whatever is missing. New games also tend to suck away players for example Planetside 2 or guild wars 2.

Pvmp raids also occur which is usually zerg meets zerg. There are some good set bonuses to get, so pvmp is actually worth trying sometime. Speaking of which, it would be nice to do a pvmp monster raid sometime though we would get our asses kicked.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I was taking a look at the Captain Hytbold armor sets to try to decide which one I'll be going for when my cappy hits 85. Is it just me, or is the set bonus from the DPS set actually better for healing than the one from the healing set? Valiant Strike is already kinda lame, and even if its cooldown is reduced by 35 seconds (in a group, only 7 seconds solo with a herald) every time you use Rallying Cry it's still kinda lame. Getting a 10% return on damage from Revealing Mark, conversely, sounds ridiculously good. Like, good enough to make me stop using my fully-LI-boosted Telling Mark every single time instead. Am I crazy here or what?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

So I was taking a look at the Captain Hytbold armor sets to try to decide which one I'll be going for when my cappy hits 85. Is it just me, or is the set bonus from the DPS set actually better for healing than the one from the healing set? Valiant Strike is already kinda lame, and even if its cooldown is reduced by 35 seconds (in a group, only 7 seconds solo with a herald) every time you use Rallying Cry it's still kinda lame. Getting a 10% return on damage from Revealing Mark, conversely, sounds ridiculously good. Like, good enough to make me stop using my fully-LI-boosted Telling Mark every single time instead. Am I crazy here or what?

I'd check with electrocute or Handlebar, they have capts that are raid equipped. It seems you are better off with mixing 3 set bonuses from various sets than shooting for the five set in any hybolt set.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
About 24 hours from now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fE1NYyz2QE
2nd Chicken Run at 6PM Friday US Pacific or 9PM US Eastern!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Am I ready to head into Moria proper at 48 or is it better to wait and go in at 50+?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Am I ready to head into Moria proper at 48 or is it better to wait and go in at 50+?

Up to you really, my three characters that I've taken through Moria previously were either 51 or 52 and I felt like it helped to have a level advantage over the mobs there. These days with it being so streamlined and the mob density being reduced, I don't think it matters as much to have an advantage heading in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

daggerdragon posted:

And how long until you run off a cliff to your doom because of a perfectly invisible crack that's only visible if you have the camera directly overhead so you can watch where your character is walking? :allears:

I forget, how common are NPC knockback skills in Moria? I'm almost certain most of my sudden deaths were from poo poo hitting me back a few feet and off of the narrow walkway I was fighting on and that Moria is what made me start fighting things with my back to a wall whenever possible.

dug fin posted:

I posted a text version of how I have my bars setup somewhere on the first few pages.

The main problem with captain is there's so much stuff that needs to be accessible at a moments notice, that there's not actually enough keys to quick access it all, so I had to figure out a way that made sense to me to allow myself to quickly swap keys around in different situations.

That's what I was feeling running a 3 man even in the 40s. I was hoping it was just me but I guess not. :v:

JFC posted:

I love Lothlorien, but mostly because it's a breath of fresh air after being in Moria for so long. The quests are easy, there are lots of crafting mats, and it's beautiful to look at. That being said, if you do all the Moria and Loth quests you'll be over-leveled for both Mirkwood and Enedwaith. So I just did the Epic in both regions and moved on to Dunland to resume questing. If you do all those quests, you'll then be over-leveled for Great River and could head right to Rohan if you wanted.

That's one nice thing with Lotro, though. You will have a very hard time running low on quests while you level. When I finished Annuminas and left Evendim I had just gotten up to 40 so I finished book 4 and ran through book 5 of the Epic. Now I'm 42, closing in on 43, and decided to go hit Forochel for a level or 2. First time I went through Moria I was level 62 when I stepped out at Lothlorien and the kin I was with at the time couldn't understand why I hadn't left Moria 3-4 levels earlier since I'd still hit the cap quickly in Lothlorien and SoM content. I think I was 65 when I finally went to Mirkwood for the first time.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Update 10 is bringing us Agility as the Warden's new primary stat, apparently?

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?498554-Wardens-and-Agility

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 25, 2013

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget, how common are NPC knockback skills in Moria? I'm almost certain most of my sudden deaths were from poo poo hitting me back a few feet and off of the narrow walkway I was fighting on and that Moria is what made me start fighting things with my back to a wall whenever possible.

Turtles iirc and a couple other things

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Backslap posted:

I'm somewhat conflicted over this change. On the one hand it means that finally all of the medium armour wearing classes will have the same primary stat, losing Might will mean less blocking and I think parrying too.

Probably a good change overall, especially if they make Warden B/P/E solely dependent upon Agility. Oh, and if they remembered to go back and update all of the various medium armour bits to use Agility as the primary stat, deprecating Might in the process.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What time (EST) is the chicken run looking to start Friday evening?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Check it...

Captain Backslap posted:

2nd Chicken Run at 6PM Friday US Pacific or 9PM US Eastern!

SeaTard posted:

I'm somewhat conflicted over this change. On the one hand it means that finally all of the medium armour wearing classes will have the same primary stat, losing Might will mean less blocking and I think parrying too.

Probably a good change overall, especially if they make Warden B/P/E solely dependent upon Agility. Oh, and if they remembered to go back and update all of the various medium armour bits to use Agility as the primary stat, deprecating Might in the process.

They would move Might's block and parry benefits to Agility for Wardens. That's what they did in RoI when they simplified the important stats for each class; Loremasters get parry and melee damage from Will. Burglars actually got switched from Might to Agility at that time, too.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Edit: Goddammit edit/post again.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Captain Backslap posted:

More twit dev chat summarized. Lots of changes proposed inc!
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?498525

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's one nice thing with Lotro, though. You will have a very hard time running low on quests while you level. When I finished Annuminas and left Evendim I had just gotten up to 40 so I finished book 4 and ran through book 5 of the Epic. Now I'm 42, closing in on 43, and decided to go hit Forochel for a level or 2. First time I went through Moria I was level 62 when I stepped out at Lothlorien and the kin I was with at the time couldn't understand why I hadn't left Moria 3-4 levels earlier since I'd still hit the cap quickly in Lothlorien and SoM content. I think I was 65 when I finally went to Mirkwood for the first time.

I did pretty much the exact same thing. When I got to Mirkwood for the first time last week-ish I was 64, and when I finish up I'll probably be most of the way to 69. The way I figure, do the quests you like/interest you and don't worry too much about being overlevelled, since the story is still going to be interesting and fun regardless. v:v:v

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

loquacius posted:

If you are VIP, getting 3 Perseverance is a very, VERY good idea. With the right LI mix you can have 6 second Rallying Cry. It's such an incredible help when grouping, and it's probably the only thing that enables me to heal T2 3 man instances.

I use 3 piece Hytbold Healer and 3 piece Perseverance pretty much around the clock, even when soloing. The beauty of the setup is that with the RC talent that returns power to the group from RC, you can keep a group swimming in power through all but the most insane stuff.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
By the way, if anyone's been wanting that 6th inventory bag, it's in the weekly sale for 20% off (796 instead of 995).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dug fin posted:

If you are VIP, getting 3 Perseverance is a very, VERY good idea. With the right LI mix you can have 6 second Rallying Cry. It's such an incredible help when grouping, and it's probably the only thing that enables me to heal T2 3 man instances.

I use 3 piece Hytbold Healer and 3 piece Perseverance pretty much around the clock, even when soloing. The beauty of the setup is that with the RC talent that returns power to the group from RC, you can keep a group swimming in power through all but the most insane stuff.

This is all really good advice, but the thing is, (a) it's more of an endorsement of Rallying Cry than it is of the Hytbold Healer armor, and (b) I'm not really a PVP player so getting the Perseverance armor is kind of a stretch for me. :(

And yeah, the 3-piece bonus from the Healer set is a pretty nice bonus on top of a similar one I'm getting from my LIs, but the idea of every character in your entire party automatically healing themselves for 10% of all damage they do to a given enemy without requiring any power investment at all, on top of my max-LI-cooldown-reduced, power-restoring Rallying Cries happening more or less every time something dies, seems pretty goddamn sweet too. I dunno, I've got plenty of time to decide.

(e: also I am an absolute whore for Shadow's Lament in solo play)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's no yew branches anywere. Just ash. Ash as far as the eye can see. Expert woodworking and the instances are all I've got left to do before I get a quest pack and I want to make sure I've got them done before I move on :negative:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Dosvidanya posted:

Turtles iirc and a couple other things

Trolls and occasionally goblins will do it as well, but you don't often encounter trolls outside of instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Had to reformat my computer and now I can't play without reinstalling (and then reupdating) the whole thing apparantly. Which wouldn't be so bad except my internet has slowed to a crawl and updatiding steam itself took the best part of a quarter of an hour.

So much for Moria.

edit: managed to recover most of it, but now all the 1400x display resolutions are missing from the options

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 25, 2013

• Locked thread