Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

flyboi posted:

Maybe down the road, I need to get some things ironed out to make things cheaper. The flash memory that's "easy" to use is way too expensive but there are workarounds that can be done. I just need to figure out if I should go with using donor boards or go full-on custom pcb. An example breakdown of cost for Terranigma:

Donor cart: $4
Flash Memory: $18
Labeling: ???
Cleaning the shell: ???
Boxes: (not doing boxes, already getting ridiculous)

LoROM isn't as bad though, I got those chips specifically because they're $3.50/pop 100ns PROM which means they also can work on HiROM. I can make an adapter board that connects to the maskrom which would allow for them to be seated above with minimal fus and they can be stacked to make up to 48MBit. Problem is, 32MBit = $14 so still not saving much on those cartridges.

Basically a daughter board and then mount the chips up top. I'm going to try it with some prototyping boards first before I bother getting something printed.

Then another approach I could possibly take is using newer flash memory as you can get 32mbit for ~$3.50 but then I'd have to make a new pcb much like the ones on my current flash memory and they're 3.3V instead of 5V now which means some resistors and other components are necessary as well. Surface mounting that poo poo is not fun by hand and I do not have the tools to do it legitimately.

If the price ends up being anywhere near worth it, please seriously think about the custom PCB option. It just hurts to see this stuff used for parts (not that I'm totally innocent here myself). Even with a lot of donor carts available, the supply isn't actually unlimited. :(

Edit: Though if you're going to be using original shells, I guess it wouldn't make much difference either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

What is the superior version of Bubble Bobble? I've played the SMS and arcade ones so far!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

field balm posted:

What is the superior version of Bubble Bobble? I've played the SMS and arcade ones so far!

Bubble Bobble Plus/Neo because it's got extra stages, and then even more stages as DLC! Some of the game behavior is changed slightly, though.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
For people interested in import games, someone mentioned hit-japan, and another one I use is yamatoku-classic, and I've been pretty happy with both. Got a few 1-6 cent famicom games, it's like I'm just paying for shipping :pseudo: :retrogames:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If anyone else ends up getting one of those EZ Flash IV I found a Micro SD card w/ mini adapter on amazon prime
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSD-Adapters-SDSDQ-2048-package/dp/B000OT94PO

Also regarding the custom pcb: it is doable, thing is though is the MAD-1 chip is kind of a pain. The MAD-1 handles the addressing of the ROM for the system and has logic that would require analyzing and recreating using a different IC such as an Altera or a combination of cheaper ICs. It would be nice to have a board that can both be Hi and LoROM at the switch of a few jumpers but I don't really have a PCB printing service where plating edges comes cheap. When I ran it by a friend that makes pcbs he quoted me at around $12 per PCB unless I went full-on and had thousands made.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From Billboard Magazine, April 27, 1967:

I stumbled onto this and thought it was kind of interesting that Sega, Taito, and Namco were teaming up to make an industry group for their arcade businesses in 1967.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey, I'd be interested in Terranigma once you figure it out much it'll go for.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

From Billboard Magazine, April 27, 1967:

I stumbled onto this and thought it was kind of interesting that Sega, Taito, and Namco were teaming up to make an industry group for their arcade businesses in 1967.

Neat article. At the time Namco would have still been primarily making kiddie rides for department stores.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I never heard of the NAMA, but the JAMMA standard had to come from somewhere. JAMMA (Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturer's Association) was eventually formed by those companies and others to both codify an arcade wiring standard, and rules for games that award prizes. It was a big deal to be able to drop in different boards into the same machine because of uniform wiring.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

For people interested in import games, someone mentioned hit-japan, and another one I use is yamatoku-classic, and I've been pretty happy with both. Got a few 1-6 cent famicom games, it's like I'm just paying for shipping :pseudo: :retrogames:

Cool, Yamatoku is still around? They were like the biggest retro-game seller during that wonderful time that used game sales were illegal in Japan. I got a ton of Super Famicom, Saturn, PSX and Famicom stuff through them. They're definitely a great resource.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

that wonderful time that used game sales were illegal in Japan.

:eng101: It was never illegal despite what people put on the backs of game boxes. Capcom and a few other companies attempted to sue to make it illegal; this did not succeed and was turned down in 2002, and the notices disappeared the next month.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Video games are in a uniquely weird place because of the artificial limited availability of games. There are very few old games you can buy new copies of today (I mean in a consistently-priced, can expect to be available on Amazon or digitally downloadable way).

Get nostalgic for an old movie or TV show? You can digitally rent or buy most of them (or find them on Netflix) and have them beamed in real-time to you, and while that's not all-encompassing when that expands to DVDs with next-day shipping there's almost nothing that isn't available. Music albums are even more likely to be legally downloadable. There are exceptions in both cases for sure, but they're very much exceptions to the rule.

Video games are different because even with the existence of re-releases and services like the Virtual Console, there's only a tiny fraction of the full library available; NES only has 93 of its roughly 759 U.S. games available on the VC, and SNES is even worse off at 68 out of about 721. For every NES game that is on the virtual console, there are SEVEN that aren't. You can't get any of the first three Dragon Warrior games unless you buy second-hand, which is worth nothing because all three of those games were re-made and re-released and even the re-released version is no longer available, nor is any compatible hardware for either version of the games. You also can't get Duck Tales, or any of the first three Donkey Kong Country games (they WERE on the VC, but were delisted a few months ago, and also remade and again no longer available), or numerous other games you can find on some people's top 10 lists. These are games that were top shelf when they were released and are still coveted by some, and there is no official way to get them now.

The same is true for PlayStation 1 games on disc, which Sony could still in theory manufacture discs of since they'll work on any PS3. I can buy almost any physical CD Album released in the last 25 years, but a physical disc of a system that they were still making new games for less than 10 years ago and still make compatible hardware for now? Nope, sorry, eBay. And even some recent successful and well-reviewed games aren't available in a new way. Final Fantasy XII has a 92 on Metacritic and won numerous game of the year awards but you can't buy the game now, and even compatible hardware is hard to come by new (they still PS2s on Amazon but stopped manufacturing them). This game is barely 6 years old. Hell, Xenoblade also has a 92 on Metacritic and you're SOL for getting the game non-eBay now (cheapest one is double its selling price. For a game that was released last April).

Sorry for the rant, but this poo poo really needs to die. If I can walk into a store and expect to find the Academy Award winners for every year it's been a thing I should drat well be able to do likewise with the game of the year from 6 loving years ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SUPER HASSLER posted:

:eng101: It was never illegal despite what people put on the backs of game boxes. Capcom and a few other companies attempted to sue to make it illegal; this did not succeed and was turned down in 2002, and the notices disappeared the next month.

Yeah Nintendo tried this crap back in the 80s in the USA as well (except with renting games).

Discount Viscount posted:

Bubble Bobble Plus/Neo because it's got extra stages, and then even more stages as DLC! Some of the game behavior is changed slightly, though.

Is the FDS version of Bubble Bobble identical to the NES release?

flyboi posted:

My EPROMs... Let me show you them

Don't those eventually die or something (something about they have a life span of 10 years or something?) :spergin:

I know the awesome feeling though. My SNES SPDIF and video encoders come shipped in sleeves like that :allears:

Lunaris posted:

I've got a spare N64 ac adapter and composite cable. If you want to pay for shipping they're yours.

That is very cool of you to send that to him. I love this little community.

flyboi posted:

Basically a daughter board and then mount the chips up top. I'm going to try it with some prototyping boards first before I bother getting something printed.

Not trying to make a joke here but I am very surprised you are doing this on a Mac. I had sent JJJJJS a Thinkpad I wasn't using because Thinkpads basically had parallel ports even when no one used them any longer. Anyway, it was to my understanding due to this that to burn EEPROMs you needed a parallel port, and bought an old POS laptop off a friend because of that! I think JJJJJS even specified it needed to be Windows XP or earlier!

Speaking of ~helpful goons~, I ordered some stuff from awesome forums poster PopeCrunch who I had actually bought some old gamestuffs (this should be a word btw) from; including FF3 in the box with map :allears:
Anyway, I bought an N64 off him even though I have one because it was an old serial number (RGB-moddable) and the price was right. The first time I ordered from him he threw in some awesome freebies but this time, holy poo poo:

:siren: N64 has arrived! :siren:

A second box arrived:

:catstare:

Seriously I know I said I'd throw ya some extra bux because I'd feel too guilty taking free stuff, and I know you are trying to get rid of your collection, but come on man. Even the CASES are all intact without cracks. Yes, that's correct, the terrible Sega CD cases (only Panic! and Popful Mail are in replacement DVD cases). I don't even know what a fair price to throw his way as a thank you would be, since I know very little about the Sega CD, so someone shoot me some ideas so I don't die with unresolved guilt.

This is doubly awesome because Sega CD is the only console where my collection is really, really pathetic (I only have Cliffhanger, Dracula, Lethal Enforcers, and Scotty Pippen's Slam City (Sega CD 32X version :smug: ), and now my collection is incredible. Just like that; with one box! PopeCrunch is the man and whatever this dude ever has to sell I implore you to purchase from, even if you don't need what he's selling.

Seriously man, this rocks (and I'd love opinions on how I can repay him for these freebies).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Awwwww man, if I had known about Popful Mail...

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Don't get TOO excited, Popful Mail and Panic! are burned CD's (though they work perfectly, the sega CD existed in a time where the copy protection was simply 'almost nobody has a cd burner') but I'm glad you like them :) I was worried the unobtainium-laced plastic would die in transit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

univbee posted:

Video games are in a uniquely weird place because of the artificial limited availability of games. There are very few old games you can buy new copies of today (I mean in a consistently-priced, can expect to be available on Amazon or digitally downloadable way).

Get nostalgic for an old movie or TV show? You can digitally rent or buy most of them (or find them on Netflix) and have them beamed in real-time to you, and while that's not all-encompassing when that expands to DVDs with next-day shipping there's almost nothing that isn't available. Music albums are even more likely to be legally downloadable. There are exceptions in both cases for sure, but they're very much exceptions to the rule.

Video games are different because even with the existence of re-releases and services like the Virtual Console, there's only a tiny fraction of the full library available; NES only has 93 of its roughly 759 U.S. games available on the VC, and SNES is even worse off at 68 out of about 721. For every NES game that is on the virtual console, there are SEVEN that aren't. You can't get any of the first three Dragon Warrior games unless you buy second-hand, which is worth nothing because all three of those games were re-made and re-released and even the re-released version is no longer available, nor is any compatible hardware for either version of the games. You also can't get Duck Tales, or any of the first three Donkey Kong Country games (they WERE on the VC, but were delisted a few months ago, and also remade and again no longer available), or numerous other games you can find on some people's top 10 lists. These are games that were top shelf when they were released and are still coveted by some, and there is no official way to get them now.

The same is true for PlayStation 1 games on disc, which Sony could still in theory manufacture discs of since they'll work on any PS3. I can buy almost any physical CD Album released in the last 25 years, but a physical disc of a system that they were still making new games for less than 10 years ago and still make compatible hardware for now? Nope, sorry, eBay. And even some recent successful and well-reviewed games aren't available in a new way. Final Fantasy XII has a 92 on Metacritic and won numerous game of the year awards but you can't buy the game now, and even compatible hardware is hard to come by new (they still PS2s on Amazon but stopped manufacturing them). This game is barely 6 years old. Hell, Xenoblade also has a 92 on Metacritic and you're SOL for getting the game non-eBay now (cheapest one is double its selling price. For a game that was released last April).

Sorry for the rant, but this poo poo really needs to die. If I can walk into a store and expect to find the Academy Award winners for every year it's been a thing I should drat well be able to do likewise with the game of the year from 6 loving years ago.

This is basicly how I feel, even TV shows like Invader Zim and The Maxx have 20 dollar releases you can order from Amazon brand new. Granted they are print to order(meaning they make you copies) but a service like that would probably be ideal for older Videogames. Barring Panzer Dragoon Saga, most of the companies have probably retained the majority of their art assets and cart molds and if the games are disc based it would probably be even easier. Even games like PDS losing their source code there would probably be enough people who would bother taking the game apart trying to rebuild and remaster it like how certain groups did it to older movies.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 25, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Don't those eventually die or something (something about they have a life span of 10 years or something?) :spergin:

I know the awesome feeling though. My SNES SPDIF and video encoders come shipped in sleeves like that :allears:

Not trying to make a joke here but I am very surprised you are doing this on a Mac. I had sent JJJJJS a Thinkpad I wasn't using because Thinkpads basically had parallel ports even when no one used them any longer. Anyway, it was to my understanding due to this that to burn EEPROMs you needed a parallel port, and bought an old POS laptop off a friend because of that! I think JJJJJS even specified it needed to be Windows XP or earlier!

Yes and no. PROMs have a write life - for example one of my 32mbit flash roms will not properly write anymore so it is useless. These flash roms are really old so it's not surprising that one died. The longer bottom strip of EPROMs are actually OTP EPROMs (one-time programmable) which will last just as long as a regular maskrom in a cartridge. The ones with the UV window are strictly for prototyping as I have enough for 32mbit. I'm building the prototype board to use with these EPROMs specifically to try out different rom configurations to see what works best for each rom and then can use the OTP roms to keep the reproduction.

I actually have two computers but my programmer is USB so I can either plug it into my iMac and use vmware fusion or plug it into my Windows 8 box and use it. Both seem to work fine, it all depends on which computer is on.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is basicly how I feel, even TV shows like Invader Zim and The Maxx have 20 dollar releases you can order from Amazon brand new. Granted they are print to order(meaning they make you copies) but a service like that would probably be ideal for older Videogames. Barring Panzer Dragoon Saga, most of the companies have probably retained the majority of their art assets and cart molds and if the games are disc based it would probably be even easier. Even games like PDS losing their source code there would probably be enough people who would bother taking the game apart trying to rebuild and remaster it like how certain groups did it to older movies.

To be fair, there are plenty of dvds that go out of print. Same for cds. The big difference is that the video game market is sort of an infant than compared to the music and movies. And until a few years ago, it'd be hard to convince big publishers that there is much demand in the old school videogame market.

Now we're seeing plenty of games have re-releases (PS2 had a ton), and HD upgrades (look how many hd collections are on the PS3). The slight downside is, they're not doing good enough of a job on most of them (like the Silent Hill HD collection is just kinda awful compared to the original game). Sony has done a good job of putting up some of the good PSX/PS2 games on the PSN store. They just need to keep it up.
FFX is supposed to get a HD re-release, and if they could do that, 12 would not be far behind.

Also, So there's 600 games that are not re-released from the NES? Big deal, over half of that is almost pure, utter poo poo shoverware.

It'll be interesting if there was some sort of reprint service, but that completely destroys the collectibility of the hobby.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ineffiable posted:

It'll be interesting if there was some sort of reprint service, but that completely destroys the collectibility of the hobby.

Not really, it just destroys the secondary market value. Collecting would still be alive and well because then you could get every game on a system or something. To an extent it would be like Trade Paperbacks in comics.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WendigoJohnson posted:

Not really, it just destroys the secondary market value. Collecting would still be alive and well because then you could get every game on a system or something. To an extent it would be like Trade Paperbacks in comics.

This for sure, and honestly I'd still like to collect originals of some things. I'm weird like that, I guess.

Also, since the PS2 has come up a time or two here, gonna go ahead and say that Persona 3 FES continues to be unbelievably good. I've already sunk 95 hours into it, I'm getting close-ish to the end, and it's basically devouring my life.

It's seriously gaining on FF4 as my favorite RPG, and that's reeeeally saying something.

[Koromaru is the best character ever :3:]

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is why most reproduction services will only do stuff that physically doesn't exist. If I do go full steam with reproductions I plan to do something with the label as well as the rom so it is very clear that it is not a legit cart so poo poo like $90 SoM3 can't leak onto ebay.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oh for real? I never knew that. Still, it must have gotten at least a few distributors nervous because there was a flood of cheap used games on auction sites that dried up a bit after the whole thing blew over.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Not that anyone asked but this Sega CD chat makes a fine occasion for me to once again talk about how I completed a Mega-CD (JP) collection the hard way (brick-and-mortar shops in Tokyo) a few years back

I had to go to online for the last two, one of which was Surgical Strike which I had to really :retrogames: for; it's the most expensive Mega-CD retail release among collectors and at the time it was like $100.

Fresh Cleaner was the last one I needed. Despite primarily being a laser head cleaner, it's also a bootable Mega-CD so it counts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PopeCrunch posted:

Don't get TOO excited, Popful Mail and Panic! are burned CD's (though they work perfectly, the sega CD existed in a time where the copy protection was simply 'almost nobody has a cd burner') but I'm glad you like them :) I was worried the unobtainium-laced plastic would die in transit.

Nah I know there were some bootlegs in there; I didn't want to say that though for the few who get raged over something like that :)

Though I do have to say, my old Sega CD did have a serious problem with skipping if the game was burned.

Anyway, enough with the pleasantries; what can I give you other than more video games since that would be an endless cycle of you trying to rid your house of this stuff and me sending you more. Throw me a number!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

This is why most reproduction services will only do stuff that physically doesn't exist. If I do go full steam with reproductions I plan to do something with the label as well as the rom so it is very clear that it is not a legit cart so poo poo like $90 SoM3 can't leak onto ebay.

lovely assholes will still dismantle your cart and make something that looks externally authentic. I almost think you have to hack in an intro or something early into the game code to prevent this.

Ineffiable posted:

Also, So there's 600 games that are not re-released from the NES? Big deal, over half of that is almost pure, utter poo poo shoverware.

I don't think every game ever can or should be released, but there's a lot of gems/historically significant games that are unavailable, which is just silly. Three of the top 10 NES games according to IGN aren't available in any form today. I hope you're right in that digital downloads for older systems improve, and with more and more games being digital downloads that shows promise for future availability, although with recent removals of some games there's been some flat-out regression. Super NES' Virtual Console library gained 2 games in 2012 but lost 6 that same year.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

lovely assholes will still dismantle your cart and make something that looks externally authentic. I almost think you have to hack in an intro or something early into the game code to prevent this.

That's the plan. Personally I am not a fan of the current state of reproductions that people are doing although I'm sure my modifications will be looked down upon and lesser because it's not as "true" to the real thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

That's the plan. Personally I am not a fan of the current state of reproductions that people are doing although I'm sure my modifications will be looked down upon and lesser because it's not as "true" to the real thing.

I'd honestly accept newer repro carts if they replaced the cell battery with flash memory as a form of saving the game. Stuff like that is an actual improvement and helps preserve the game better down the line.

univbee posted:

I don't think every game ever can or should be released, but there's a lot of gems/historically significant games that are unavailable, which is just silly. Three of the top 10 NES games according to IGN aren't available in any form today. I hope you're right in that digital downloads for older systems improve, and with more and more games being digital downloads that shows promise for future availability, although with recent removals of some games there's been some flat-out regression. Super NES' Virtual Console library gained 2 games in 2012 but lost 6 that same year.

Yeah pretty much this, when they took Donkey Kong off I thought they were planning on doing a Kirby/Mario Wii style collection. But they just took them off and replaced them with nothing. Granted I have Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 for the SNES, but they're just such good games that they should be more common and easy to get.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 25, 2013

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nah I know there were some bootlegs in there; I didn't want to say that though for the few who get raged over something like that :)

Though I do have to say, my old Sega CD did have a serious problem with skipping if the game was burned.

Anyway, enough with the pleasantries; what can I give you other than more video games since that would be an endless cycle of you trying to rid your house of this stuff and me sending you more. Throw me a number!

Setting your burner to DAO (Disc-At-Once) instead of TAO (Track-At-Once) will clear up 99% of any skipping problems. :) And seriously I have no idea. If you're gonna send ducats anyway, as long as it covers shipping which was like $14 i'm happy. This seriously isn't a profit-making venture.

Also, I have been playing Ni no Kuni which is.. the opposite of retro, but on the other hand it's like a tenderly and carefully written love letter to old school JRPGs - there is not a single aspect of this game that isn't polished to a glorious sheen. It's the first RPG I've played in a LONG drat TIME where the battle system is actually fun on its own merits, and not something you traverse to get to the fun.

edit to add: skipping problems with audio are sometimes a result of burning with MP3 audio - I've had a lot of success with converting them to WAV before burning, though this may require correcting the cuesheet, which is fairly simple to do by hand, though there's a cuesheet tool available online for free.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Does anyone know of a list of Japan/NTSC-J exclusive Super Famicom games? I found a PAL exclusive list, but that's it so far. To clarify, this is for Super Everdrive OCD/sd card organization purposes.

kynikos fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 25, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

flyboi posted:

If I do go full steam with reproductions I plan to do something with the label as well as the rom so it is very clear that it is not a legit cart so poo poo like $90 SoM3 can't leak onto ebay.
I would gladly pay more than $90 for a copy of Secret of Mana 3.

:smith:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Cicero posted:

You could buy one for $60 or less at any number of repro sites right now.

Or, are you talking about an official, nintendo released one? Because yeah, that would've been nice.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Question, whats the best way to clean gunk off of PSX black CD bottoms? Not just smudges but actual stuck on gunk. Does rubbing alcohol work and if so what sort of cloth or material would I use to wipe it? I came across a copy of Rival Schools for the PSX and while the Evolution Disc works and is fine the Arcade disc had some remnants of a gamestop sticker on the bottom.

Also is it the prefered way to play PSX games on a PS3 through the HDMI port? Because everything looks really really rough and pixilated almost. I don't know if it's just this particular game or of it's my PS3 because my PS2 games don't look that bad on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The bottom of CDs are just plastic, generally any non-harsh cleaning product (e.g. dishwashing liquid, anything you would use to clean glasses) with a non-abrasive cloth should work, but make sure to avoid the disc edges and center since that's where the two halves of a pressed CD are stuck together; normally the glue holding both halves together should shrug off most cleaning products, but if you don't specifically need to clean that area you're better off avoiding it, since if anything happens to that glue and air gets to the aluminum wafer data layer it'll oxidize it and make it unreadable.

As for PS1 games on PS3, I don't think they offer any options for filters so you're stuck with what you're getting. It's been a while so I could be wrong, though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Cicero posted:

I'm assuming you mean Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2... if so: http://www.lostclassicvgs.com/collections/snes/products/secret-of-mana-2

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

WendigoJohnson posted:

Question, whats the best way to clean gunk off of PSX black CD bottoms? Not just smudges but actual stuck on gunk. Does rubbing alcohol work and if so what sort of cloth or material would I use to wipe it? I came across a copy of Rival Schools for the PSX and while the Evolution Disc works and is fine the Arcade disc had some remnants of a gamestop sticker on the bottom.

Also is it the prefered way to play PSX games on a PS3 through the HDMI port? Because everything looks really really rough and pixilated almost. I don't know if it's just this particular game or of it's my PS3 because my PS2 games don't look that bad on it.

I've had a lot of luck with wiping it down with a very small amount of goo gone, then soaking either a microfiber or other dense, lint-free cloth, or in a pinch, a Viva paper towel (or other brand, basically what makes it unique is it's very dense and doesn't throw off a lot of lint) in rubbing alcohol and laying the disc on it for about 10-20 minutes. That's enough time for the alcohol to really get into whatever crap is stuck on, then it just wipes off.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

WendigoJohnson posted:

3D PS1 games just don't look good on modern displays. Remember, this is seriously primitive 3D. No filtering, no perspective correction, low resolution, etc... You could try an emulator that lets you use a D3D or OpenGL plugin for rendering. Some games look better with that, although some can actually look worse (the lack of fine detail becomes very apparent) or weird (crisp polygonal characters against blurry pre-rendered backgrounds).

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 25, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Apparently my SD2SNES shipped on the 14th, and was in New York today at noon their time. I'm pretty excited. I thought it hadn't shipped yet, until someone on IRC mentioned the obvious of looking in my spam folder and sure enough, there was the shipping confirmation and tracking # (this is from Retrogate).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Crimson Harvest posted:

Apparently my SD2SNES shipped on the 14th, and was in New York today at noon their time. I'm pretty excited. I thought it hadn't shipped yet, until someone on IRC mentioned the obvious of looking in my spam folder and sure enough, there was the shipping confirmation and tracking # (this is from Retrogate).

Thanks for this! Mine just passed through New York, too!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think mine shipped on the same day or slightly earlier, and arrived at my work in Montreal last night. It's a thing of goddamn beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Someone posted about SD cards that were compatible a while back (with a link to Amazon) but I stupidly did not buy it at the time... anyone remember the model?

• Locked thread