Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

Someone posted about SD cards that were compatible a while back (with a link to Amazon) but I stupidly did not buy it at the time... anyone remember the model?

8GB Transcend class 6 is what someone confirmed working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I recently found out about and ordered a fun little genesis game called Mystic Defender. Very much a clone of Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden but not as polished. Still it's fairly cheap and worth a play if you're into that kind of thing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The_Franz posted:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Acetone are the go-to chemicals for removing adhesives. Just be careful and test them on an old CD-R or something to make sure they won't dissolve the plastic coating on the CD.

3D PS1 games just don't look good on modern displays. Remember, this is seriously primitive 3D. No filtering, no perspective correction, low resolution, etc... You could try an emulator that lets you use a D3D or OpenGL plugin for rendering. Some games look better with that, although some can actually look worse (the lack of fine detail becomes very apparent) or weird (crisp polygonal characters against blurry pre-rendered backgrounds).

I don't think I'd recommend using acetone on a CD of any variety, the chance for monumental fuckups is way too great. You'd be better off with isopropyl alcohol.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://snesrebirth.hubpages.com/hub/New-Super-Nintendo-Game-Releasing-in-2013

URL explains it all. Looks pretty :cool: !

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
YES IT'S FINALLY HERE BEEN WAITING 2.5 WEEKS FOR THIS! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A SUPER FAMICOM CIB

Wait a second...

:stare: there's no loving bottom to the box.... COMPLETE IN BOX MY rear end
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130832707748

However, it really is immaculate and the serials match on the unit + manual so gently caress it close enough I guess I'll hunt for a bottom half of a box (anyone got an extra?)

flyboi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Did it ever have one? The FC box sure didn't at least.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

YES IT'S FINALLY HERE BEEN WAITING 2.5 WEEKS FOR THIS! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A SUPER FAMICOM CIB

Wait a second...

I actually think that's how it is.

Such an awesome box though. It really doesn't look like something from 1991. More like 2010.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

That's just how the SFC was boxed in Japan.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Caitlin posted:

I don't think I'd recommend using acetone on a CD of any variety, the chance for monumental fuckups is way too great. You'd be better off with isopropyl alcohol.

Yeah, after further reading MEK can dissolve polycarbonate plastic as well so it could ruin the disc if you aren't quick and careful.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

zenintrude posted:

Someone posted about SD cards that were compatible a while back (with a link to Amazon) but I stupidly did not buy it at the time... anyone remember the model?

I think this was the specific one that was linked: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9ZBFA

(Or at least that's the one I ended up ordering for mine)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

That's just how the SFC was boxed in Japan.

Well that's silly. Oh well I'm happy. Terranigma time!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Well that's silly. Oh well I'm happy. Terranigma time!

That's a repro cart, right? Or are you playing the UK one?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I recently found out about and ordered a fun little genesis game called Mystic Defender. Very much a clone of Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden but not as polished. Still it's fairly cheap and worth a play if you're into that kind of thing.

It's actually a sequel to SpellCaster, a similar game on Master System (and one of MS' better games). Play to the end and see if you got the censored version or not! The final boss is a nude woman but they cover her up in later versions.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I came across a rather interesting find, a Gamestop had multiple copies of the Wii Dokapon Kingdom for 25 bucks each. There were also numerious copies of Xenoblade still at their original used price. Shirin The Wanderer was 15 and they still had Excite Truck for under $10 they also had a few of Boy and His Blob but I think that might have been around 12 bucks.

All of those are probably going to be coveted Wii titles, I'd say check in store for stuff. I wound up getting Dokapon Kingdom because it was the only one I was missing, but yeah it looks like people are getting rid of their Wii games in droves. Because in the three other Gamestops I went to, they're having to add extra shelves just for the Used Wii section and again with the many copies of Xenoblade and other rarities.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 25, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

That's a repro cart, right? Or are you playing the UK one?

It's the UK rom modified for NTSC

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

flyboi posted:

Wait a second...

However, it really is immaculate and the serials match on the unit + manual so gently caress it close enough I guess I'll hunt for a bottom half of a box (anyone got an extra?)

I do believe that's a 1CHIP

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Caitlin posted:

Came here to post this. Acetone will attack polycarbonate, which is what CDs are made from. Methyl ethyl ketone won't, generally, but isopropyl alcohol does a better job against most adhesives I've encountered. Get the 91% stuff if you can.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

hitze posted:

I do believe that's a 1CHIP

Nope, S-RGB

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I prefer using the SFC over my SNES.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

They're clearing out super old hardware in our office, as a sort of spring cleaning event, and now I've got a broken Doctor V 64 CD drive thing that I'll probably need to figure out how to fix. Also some Saturn and Game Gear development kits, I don't even know how I would hook them up.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

flyboi posted:

Nope, S-RGB

Um...the CPU and PPUs should be combined, wasn't talking about the encoder :haw: Unless of course the stickers aren't a full proof way of knowing :monocle:

hitze fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 26, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Chainclaw posted:

They're clearing out super old hardware in our office, as a sort of spring cleaning event, and now I've got a broken Doctor V 64 CD drive thing that I'll probably need to figure out how to fix. Also some Saturn and Game Gear development kits, I don't even know how I would hook them up.

Where the hell do you work??

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I don't care if you just redo pong; you are now obligated to release a new Saturn game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chainclaw posted:

Oh my gosh if I wasn't broke as poo poo right now I'd offer you my paycheck for a Saturn devkit. I have no idea what they are or how to get one to do anything but I'd put it on my shelf, drool over it, and when company came over I'd say "and THAT is a Saturn development kit, motherfuckers!"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

You can get a replacement CDROM for it but if the memory test fails just throw it away. The drive is super specific so best of luck with that.

hitze posted:

Um...the CPU and PPUs should be combined, wasn't talking about the encoder :haw:

Oh... Does that make any difference on the system? I tried to find the mobo revision and its definitely not the 1chip revision because the labeling wasn't there and it seems to match the s-rgb revisions. Removing the mobo is a pain so gently caress it.

Also the Saturn devkit is useless without the software and supplementary scsi board.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 26, 2013

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

flyboi posted:

You can get a replacement CDROM for it but if the memory test fails just throw it away. The drive is super specific so best of luck with that.

Oh... Does that make any difference on the system? I tried to find the mobo revision and its definitely not the 1chip revision because the labeling wasn't there and it seems to match the s-rgb revisions. Removing the mobo is a pain so gently caress it.

Also the Saturn devkit is useless without the software and supplementary scsi board.

The only information on how to tell if a SFC is 1CHIP or not was if it had SHVC-JPC-1 in small text on the bottom of the big sticker and having the caution symbol in the rounded rectangle. Maybe it's not a full proof way of telling short of taking the case apart.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
So what's the lowest that the XRGB Mini has ever been sold for? I see on the main website now it's a little bit over $400, is there any chance of it going down anytime soon?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So the same stuff that happened to Panzer Dragoon Saga might be happening again to another RPG game.

No big announcement, but Xseed is releasing Pandora's Tower in America in two months. It's literally the next to last game for the Wii and the system will pretty much cease after the release. It's definetly not going to have big production numbers. It's also coming at the time for the big push for Wii-U releases so people are definetly going to pass over it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Tower-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00B2QL2Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359161402&sr=8-1&keywords=Pandora%27s+Tower

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Code Jockey posted:

Oh my gosh if I wasn't broke as poo poo right now I'd offer you my paycheck for a Saturn devkit. I have no idea what they are or how to get one to do anything but I'd put it on my shelf, drool over it, and when company came over I'd say "and THAT is a Saturn development kit, motherfuckers!"

I saw a Dreamcast Katana devkit pop up on eBay once (the Australian eBay, no less). It would've cost me a grand, but I was almost tempted for just a few moments...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So does it have the Sophia or is it just a debug unit?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

hitze posted:

The only information on how to tell if a SFC is 1CHIP or not was if it had SHVC-JPC-1 in small text on the bottom of the big sticker and having the caution symbol in the rounded rectangle. Maybe it's not a full proof way of telling short of taking the case apart.

The only sure way to know is by finding the revision silkscreened on the motherboard. It should be near the cart slot, like so:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are you ready to poo poo your pants? Know this: you are nothing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/17a6yr/pics_of_our_collection_gameroom/

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

One has to wonder how one finds anything in there.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Maybe it's just sensory overload, but when you get to that level, it seems pointless. So these two have a lot of expendable income and were ahead of the curve. They also sacrificed the largest room in their house, relegating their own bedroom to a guest-room setup to do it. The most impressive thing is the mention of previously having a complete nes collection including unlicensed games. Going to gamestop and buying up literally every game you don't own for a certain system doesn't seem to be anything more than an exercise in muscle memory for these people. It's a big collection, yeah, but it doesn't seem to reflect any true dedication in the owners beyond the cost of entry.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

See I wouldn't even want a collection that big even if someone offered it to me for free. The aggravation of maintenance, finding everything when you want to play something, insurance in case of damage, the space, etc... just isn't worth it to me. If someone walked up to me and said "hey yeah I'll give you a video game collection of whatever you want, just pick the stuff and it'll magically appear for you" then the end result would probably be something like maybe 1000-1500 games, a huge chunk of them loose for the sake of space, and I'd be set basically for life. I mean, that IS a pretty bitchin' collection, it's just the kind where instead of being all "oh my god I want that" I'm more "holy drat I wish I was their friend and lived nearby so we could have awesome game nights".

edit: Out of curiosity I added up every game on my wish list and it comes to about 750. Add a few more years of adding to it and I think it'd be a thousand in the end. That's all games I actually WANT and would play, not stuff that I know is horrible and I'd never touch but just want for collector's value. I have no interest in complete collections of any kind except possibly N64, since it's a system I love and is also probably one of the lowest cost 'big' systems to complete.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 26, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

take_it_slow posted:

Maybe it's just sensory overload, but when you get to that level, it seems pointless. So these two have a lot of expendable income and were ahead of the curve. They also sacrificed the largest room in their house, relegating their own bedroom to a guest-room setup to do it. The most impressive thing is the mention of previously having a complete nes collection including unlicensed games. Going to gamestop and buying up literally every game you don't own for a certain system doesn't seem to be anything more than an exercise in muscle memory for these people. It's a big collection, yeah, but it doesn't seem to reflect any true dedication in the owners beyond the cost of entry.

Honestly when I move back into a multi-bedroom housing unit we'll be sleeping in the smallest bedroom and making the larger one an office/game room. Because besides sleeping, loving, and putting on clothes I see zero point in wasting all that space for a bedroom.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

See I wouldn't even want a collection that big even if someone offered it to me for free. The aggravation of maintenance, finding everything when you want to play something, insurance in case of damage, the space, etc... just isn't worth it to me. If someone walked up to me and said "hey yeah I'll give you a video game collection of whatever you want, just pick the stuff and it'll magically appear for you" then the end result would probably be something like maybe 1000-1500 games, a huge chunk of them loose for the sake of space, and I'd be set basically for life. I mean, that IS a pretty bitchin' collection, it's just the kind where instead of being all "oh my god I want that" I'm more "holy drat I wish I was their friend and lived nearby so we could have awesome game nights".

edit: Out of curiosity I added up every game on my wish list and it comes to about 750. Add a few more years of adding to it and I think it'd be a thousand in the end. That's all games I actually WANT and would play, not stuff that I know is horrible and I'd never touch but just want for collector's value. I have no interest in complete collections of any kind except possibly N64, since it's a system I love and is also probably one of the lowest cost 'big' systems to complete.

Yea, looking at that kind of makes me want to sell off some of the games I own, but don't like. Greendog the the beached surfer dude? Why did I buy a complete copy of that?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I feel bad for you guys that can't find things in an alphabetized system:( Haters gonna hate. I think the little statues are dumb, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's definitely a nice collection (at least the pre-disk based portions) but I got the impression that they enjoy the collectables more than the games. I'm just not into the merchandise surrounding games that much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HKR posted:

Honestly when I move back into a multi-bedroom housing unit we'll be sleeping in the smallest bedroom and making the larger one an office/game room. Because besides sleeping, loving, and putting on clothes I see zero point in wasting all that space for a bedroom.

I'm with you here. Gimme a futon and a dresser and I'm good to go.

I used to collect for the sake of collecting but it's an exercise in futility. I sold off every game that isn't good or doesn't have some kind of emotional value.

• Locked thread