Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Annie's mother died from being separated from her fire elemental part. I seem to recall Renard saying that there was "nothing left". That may not strictly have been true, but if it is, it would suggest that Annie is 100% her fire elemental part, and inseparable from it. But I wouldn't put it past her dad to try something like killing Annie to resurrect his ex-wife.

If trying to figure out a way to separate-without-killing wasn't what all that bone poo poo was about, I'll eat my hat.

it is an edible hat so i'll probably eat it anyways at some point but that's beside the point.

e: Added link to spite anyone who wanted to get work done today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

It's the symbol of the Creator which means it would be Diego's symbol, right? I'm willing to bet it spells out JEANNE.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also gently caress my brain, this was the first thing it saw today:

:cripes:

Don't feel too bad, I saw the same thing in it.

"Oh hey, it's the :razz: sigil!"

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

It might also explain Annie's father's actions. At first I thought he might have been trying something crazy like resurrecting Annie's mother, but now I think he may just have been trying to subvert or damage the opposing champion. He may even have been acting on behalf of a faction within the Court.

I very strongly dislike what we've seen of Annie's father. It would take a pretty major twist to make me think he isn't a giant bag of dicks based simply on how he's abandoned Annie directly after the death of her mom.

That said I figured the thing he did to the fire elemental part of her was an attempt to save her in the way he couldn't save her mom. The resurrection thing occurred to me but I kind of hoped he wasn't that nutso.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I very strongly dislike what we've seen of Annie's father. It would take a pretty major twist to make me think he isn't a giant bag of dicks based simply on how he's abandoned Annie directly after the death of her mom.

That said I figured the thing he did to the fire elemental part of her was an attempt to save her in the way he couldn't save her mom. The resurrection thing occurred to me but I kind of hoped he wasn't that nutso.

Based on his characterization (what little of it we've seen in that one chapter), I don't think he's a giant bag of dicks per se. He's just very...goony. I could see him posting an e/n thread about how "his wife died giving birth to his daughter and his daughter will die if she ever has kids" so he's locked himself in his room to obsess over attempting to cure the condition his daughter has, but is neglecting his daughter in the process because he's wracked with a combination of anger that she "caused" his wife to die, guilt about feeling anger, love for the last part of his family he has left, and desperation to try and fix the problem so he doesn't lose his daughter too.

I mean, if his reactions become that unbalanced (more distant in public, more distraught in private) over something like a grade school crush, can you even imagine how hosed up you could get over a situation like that? I feel sorry for the guy :smith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Frankly Surma seemed way more stable to me than Tony did, and I'm expecting a "twist" to be that Annie gets her volatility from her father, not her mother.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Keep in mind, we haven't seen very much of Surma-- and half of what we've seen has been after her "fire" left her.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

What I'm curious about is whether Tom actually went to the trouble to encode a word, or whether he just scribbled some lines down. Given the hints Tom's dropped so far, I think he did a certain amount of :spergin: of his own, and has this all researched and worked out. So I'm curious as to what word or acronym the symbol encodes.

I get the impression he's done some research, but the best part of the comic is it's sprinkled in subtlety, the universe grows organically, and best of all there's no huge, ham fisted info dumps that boil down to "HAY GUYS LOOK HOW MUCH I KNOW ABOUT THIS STUFF... what was this story about again?"

And that's why Dresden Codak is terrible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Line Feed posted:

It's the symbol of the Creator which means it would be Diego's symbol, right? I'm willing to bet it spells out JEANNE.

He made the original robots, but there's been no evidence they see him in a truly divine light. He's a man that made them, this is true. But he's a man. They explicitly *don't* think of Kat as a person. She's an angel. Moreover, they call Diego...Diego. Not "The Creator". Even the original robots thought of him as 'father'. And his 'robots', which may be more like golems, are the ones that actually made the robots *we* know in modern times. And they made a code that humans [Even Diego] simply should not be able to understand.

The creator they are referencing is probably quite a bit bigger than Diego on the mythological robot scale. As is Kat herself.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 25, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ursine Asylum posted:

e: Added link to spite anyone who wanted to get work done today.

1) gently caress you. 2) Coyote is talking to us here in the first panel. Given the rest of the chapter this amuses me greatly.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I wonder exactly how the S robots interact with the robot court. The king seemed easy on board calling Kat an angel, but these guys had Robot dismantled, locked up, and paperclipped for 'disinformation and rumour' by talking up the whole angel business.
Then again, maybe he had some other 'disinformation and rumour' he was spreading at the same time. Maybe Robot's just an enormous gossip.

One of the comments noted that there seems to have been a small whoops here.

ET posted:

Kat's so surprised the stripes fell off her shirt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drakyn posted:

Then again, maybe he had some other 'disinformation and rumour' he was spreading at the same time.

Why exactly had he been turned off and stored as spare Seraph parts in the first place (minus one arm)?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Drakyn posted:

I wonder exactly how the S robots interact with the robot court. The king seemed easy on board calling Kat an angel, but these guys had Robot dismantled, locked up, and paperclipped for 'disinformation and rumour' by talking up the whole angel business.
Then again, maybe he had some other 'disinformation and rumour' he was spreading at the same time. Maybe Robot's just an enormous gossip.

One of the comments noted that there seems to have been a small whoops here.

Well, the eyes alone let us know that S classes are not standard court robots since they don't have the whole green eye thing going on. Annie noted that with Robot's original body, she just had to stick the parts together and it worked, so it might be that the S-classes are actually made by Diego himself and have some special mission/programming going on.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

They strike me as an ever-ready police force. Built in such a way that they can have parts replaced and/or be outright built from the ground up in minutes, coupled with their fighting skills and what we've seen in this chapter, I think they're the peace keepers of the court robots.

This would mean that Robot was "jailed" so often because he was doing things that actively worked against the S model's primary goal, which is keeping the robots quiet and in service of the court.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My personal guess is that they're some kind of priesthood.

Conot posted:

Well, the eyes alone let us know that S classes are not standard court robots since they don't have the whole green eye thing going on. Annie noted that with Robot's original body, she just had to stick the parts together and it worked, so it might be that the S-classes are actually made by Diego himself and have some special mission/programming going on.

They don't exhibit the physical attributes of Diego's work - hell, we saw his predecessor to the S-class, it was a lot more ornate.

And there are plenty of court robots without the standard eyes. S-class, Boxbot, Robox, Laser Cows, Horses...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2013

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Cat Mattress posted:

It was made up, and inspired by the filament in a light bulb.
Was it? Or was it just depicted on a light bulb to show Kat getting an idea?

To me it looks like a stylized representation of the bones of a folded bird's wing. (try to imagine the following is rotated 90° counter-clockwise)

This, Kat's affection for birds, the 'head pigeon', the mecha-bird of Zimmy's vision...all hinting that the robot bodies Kat's devising are going to be birdlike. Out with the terribleness of Boxbot, in with the awesomeness of Birdbot!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's a happy face. I think you're over-thinking it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The stylized bird wing interpretation could work. If you look at the "Zimmy's vision of Kat" comic you'll see a lot of bird bones pop up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I still wanna know what's up with the tictocs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm wondering if they've decided that Kat is holy because their mythology calls the tic-tocs divine creations, and she's working on stuff that may lead to tic-toc-esque technology.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scary ghost dog posted:

I still wanna know what's up with the tictocs.

Considering that when they're buried, they grow into self sufficient computer systems, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made of the same thing as the seed bismuth, or at least based on the same technology/magic.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

That face in panel 5. :allears:

And I'm guessing we're about to find out who Jones picked.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
When did Steven Seagal become a redhead?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The faces Annie's making are reminding me of Paranatural and all of the great faces in that comic. They made this page really fun, but of course now I can't wait until the next update to see what's going to happen.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

I think I could do better, but just for starters...

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well, that was as predictable as it was hilarious.

I wonder how strong Reynardine is in that body. We've established that hes strong enough to carry Annie, but in other regards he still inherits the properties of his current body (i.e. his body is still soft like the plushie is)

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Reene posted:

That face in panel 5. :allears:

And I'm guessing we're about to find out who Jones picked.

I know I'm reading a legitimately great story when I can't even begin to predict what's going to happen next.

For all I know, Jones picked Red as the new medium.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

I know I'm reading a legitimately great story when I can't even begin to predict what's going to happen next.

For all I know, Jones picked Red as the new medium.

If we're going by intuition and amicability with both factions, there's one obvious choice.

After all, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? THE SHADOW KNOWS

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Freudian posted:

If we're going by intuition and amicability with both factions, there's one obvious choice.

After all, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? THE SHADOW KNOWS

Shadow fails the amicability test due to being ousted by the other shadow people.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Holy poo poo Annie's expressions are the best thing about today's comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conot posted:

Shadow fails the amicability test due to being ousted by the other shadow people.

City Face for Medium 2013.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Account_Username posted:

Holy poo poo Annie's expressions are the best thing about today's comic.

Annie has some of the best sternfaces ever. If she gets passed over for the medium job, she's a shoo-in for headmistress.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Finally caught up to the thread on the day a comic is out! Oh boy now I can't wait til Wednesday. :dance:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Don't mess with Annie. Ya hear, robots dudes?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If Kat's an angel then Annie can be a boogeyman.

She can turn robots off when she's not even in the room. :ohdear:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Meowjesty posted:

If Kat's an angel then Annie can be a boogeyman.

She can turn robots off when she's not even in the room. :ohdear:

Obviously she is the Demon to Kat's Angel.

Even now, stories of the Red Demon Who Turns Robots Off are circulating the robot community.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: Hmm... GIMP or Imgur hate me right now. I sized the images right, but they look way enlarged when I post them here. Like, 2x size.

Just to make sure, what's the size limit on avatars?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2013

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: Hmm... GIMP or Imgur hate me right now. I sized the images right, but they look way enlarged when I post them here. Like, 2x size.

Just to make sure, what's the size limit on avatars?
125x125. Try Minus (my preference), tinypic, or Xomf?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That explains it. I had the wrong dimensions.

Babby's first avatar:

I wanted to include the word bubble, but couldn't get it in there without making it unreadable. Does that seem to be the right size? I'm terrible at comparing them side by side to another avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

That explains it. I had the wrong dimensions.

Babby's first avatar:

I wanted to include the word bubble, but couldn't get it in there without making it unreadable. Does that seem to be the right size? I'm terrible at comparing them side by side to another avatar.

Quick guide for avatar borders (in GIMP):
Select-All
Shrink Selection 1px
Invert Selection
Flood Fill -> "Fill Whole Selection"
Fill with black.

Also, make sure that Image -> Mode is set to RGB before resizing anything.