Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Camera Around the Major Metropolitan Areas that lay along significant bodies of water: Interstate Flat Rate Debate

Flyover State Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

Flyover State Snipe

The saddest of all snypes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

The saddest of all snypes.

Sad, but not shameful.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Anyone in NYC have a 35mm dev tank and a scanner? I've been practicing my b&w processing, but only have 120 steel reels and no scanner.

I'd need them for, lets say, a few months to do the roll I shot?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

ShotgunWillie posted:

Anyone in NYC have a 35mm dev tank and a scanner? I've been practicing my b&w processing, but only have 120 steel reels and no scanner.

How are you liking the 15000:1 dilution developer?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

xzzy posted:

Right now would be a good time to have it in Chicago too because everything is frozen and dead, but lacking snow. It looks super post-apocalypse.

:colbert:

Then it'd be you taking the pics cuz there's no way I'm leaving the house.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ShotgunWillie posted:

I really hope this is some elaborate mea-culpa joke about how long you had the camera. If it's gonna take months, take it to the lab.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

I am planning a cross country drive in May or June and could pick up or drop off the camera any where between Seattle and upstate NY on I90. If the logistics aren't a nightmare I think it would be cool to shoot a roll on the road or something and then hand it over to some other nerd along the way. No solid plans yet just thought I would see what people think of that idea.

You sound awfully bitter. I don't think anyone should hoard it. The New York folks hosed up and I was the one who advocated its expedition out of that territory, without the benefit of using it myself. We should really let it travel. That was the whole point.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

You sound awfully bitter. I don't think anyone should hoard it. The New York folks hosed up and I was the one who advocated its expedition out of that territory, without the benefit of using it myself. We should really let it travel. That was the whole point.

He doesn't really sound bitter? I'm not sure how else to read that post but it sounds like he's offering to take the camera on an awesome trip from and to virtually anywhere in the summer.

I mean provided he doesn't keep it for the entire month long roadtrip.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

If you read his last couple of posts, he's just offering to courier it to someone on his route, cost free.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Alright, I've shot a roll of film, had it developed, uploaded the photos to my flickr, AND got the camera back to the post office, all within 36 hours. I'll get the photos uploaded to the official tumblr page once I get the email address to do so from ExecuDork.

AE-1-01 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-02 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-03 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-04 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-05 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-06 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-07 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-08 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-09 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-10 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-11 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-12 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-13 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-14 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

AE-1-15 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Now, I don't know if I somehow damaged the roll or if it was defective, but several of my shots just didn't turn out. The camera shop had trouble developing the roll at all, so I guess I'm lucky I didn't lose everything? Here's an example of one of the ones that didn't turn out; unfortunately, it was also going to be my entry into this month's photo contest.

AE-1-blooper1 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Unfortunately, most of my rural shots (barns, the river) were similarly damaged or completely unrecoverable. As for my photos of Snoqualmie Falls, well . . . the falls were kicking up so much mist that I couldn't get a decent shot at all. They all looked like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 25, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
loving. AWESOME.

PM sent.

Is everyone else paying attention? THAT is how it's goddam done, folks - 36 hours complete turnaround time is epic.

EDIT: I don't know if, or expect TheLastManStanding to be that quick. But we should probably figure out who he's sending it to next.

All previous plans, prior to about page 9 of this thread, are basically dead. Call it a New Year, New Scheme thing. Or just my capricious lack of long-term memory. Or swear and shout for a bit, whatever.

So, who's next?
1. Keep it moving west: Australia? Japan? Singapore? I don't recall any Hawaii goons in here, but again, long-term memory isn't my strength. Alaska is west, too. So is New Zealand.
2. Keep it local to keep costs down and keep the momentum up: California? or the US Southwest?
3. Circle the USA for a bit longer, like a scrap of paper in a toilet bowl, and go to Texas?

I'm ignoring the northern flyover states because that's just a scribbly line back-and-forth across the Union, which is even less "Around the World" than would be the flush across the gulf coast.

Chime in here, usual "convince us you don't suck" arguments.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 25, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New Yorkers = officially huge dorks. One might say New Dorkers.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

loving. AWESOME.

PM sent.

Is everyone else paying attention? THAT is how it's goddam done, folks - 36 hours complete turnaround time is epic.

I think this just surpassed Zybourne Clock on the Goon-Project-O-Meter.

God, the bar is so loving low.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't care how low the bar was, Bob Socko kicked it back up.

My camera was used to take failed catte pictures and exploitative shots of homeless people in Seattle!
I am thrilled.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

He doesn't really sound bitter? I'm not sure how else to read that post but it sounds like he's offering to take the camera on an awesome trip from and to virtually anywhere in the summer.

I mean provided he doesn't keep it for the entire month long roadtrip.

No, I think I quoted the wrong post, sorry. Someone was talking about hoarding it in Seattle or something. Sorry, Samurai it's been a long day.

Edit: Also, great to finally see some pictures again.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 25, 2013

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

SoundMonkey posted:

I really hope this is some elaborate mea-culpa joke about how long you had the camera. If it's gonna take months, take it to the lab.

:thejoke:

I already mixed up the chemicals and everything. Heck, I would be happy to travel to whoever has the stuff and develop/scan on location so I wouldn't even have to borrow the equipment.

I'll bring a beer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ShotgunWillie posted:

:thejoke:

I already mixed up the chemicals and everything. Heck, I would be happy to travel to whoever has the stuff and develop/scan on location so I wouldn't even have to borrow the equipment.

I'll bring a beer.

You can come over to my place (in Seattle) and use my tank, bring nonscrub tier beer.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It occurs to me that it should be possible to develop in the Pelican case - it's waterproof, and big enough you could just toss a roll in there and let it unravel itself. You'd have to change solutions in the dark, but it's basically tray developing with the option of agitation by tossing it down the stairs.

If somebody does this, please remove the foam inserts first.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

It occurs to me that it should be possible to develop in the Pelican case - it's waterproof, and big enough you could just toss a roll in there and let it unravel itself. You'd have to change solutions in the dark, but it's basically tray developing with the option of agitation by tossing it down the stairs.

If somebody does this, please remove the foam inserts first.

And upload a recording to youtube of you drunkenly tossing a case full of chemicals down the stairs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My photography teacher insisted the secret to development was consistency, especially when agitating. :colbert:

Stairs do not qualify.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I'm ignoring the northern flyover states because that's just a scribbly line back-and-forth across the Union, which is even less "Around the World" than would be the flush across the gulf coast.

Oh, OK then. Cool.

e. just send it to a different country if you don't want to see anything besides the coasts.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 25, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

My photography teacher insisted the secret to development was consistency, especially when agitating. :colbert:

Stairs do not qualify.

How is our fault your have hosed up stairs?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

8th-samurai posted:

How is our fault your have hosed up stairs?

The Inconsistent Stairs would be a good band name. :coal:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

pseudonordic posted:

The Inconsistent Stairs would be a good band name. :coal:

Kind of a post rock Mogwaiesque thing maybe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Oh, OK then. Cool.

e. just send it to a different country if you don't want to see anything besides the coasts.

Heh I had skipped right over that statement.

gently caress that, I don't want the stupid camera anymore. 5 months rotting in NYC, then it skips all the way to the west coast, and apparently now it's a "coast only" around the world camera? Here's hoping it gets sent to a watery grave trying to document those coasts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Heh I had skipped right over that statement.

gently caress that, I don't want the stupid camera anymore. 5 months rotting in NYC, then it skips all the way to the west coast, and apparently now it's a "coast only" around the world camera? Here's hoping it gets sent to a watery grave trying to document those coasts.

Someone is jealous of people that live in nice places.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Guys, most people aren't going to live where the camera ends up next. It's a statistical inevitability. Chill out, the Internet isn't harboring a personal vendetta against your lovely town.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ExecuDork posted:

If you send it to Oklahoma, I will take a before and after picture of somebody dressed like Execudork's avatar holding a football labeled "convince us you don't suck" and me, dressed like Charlie Brown, on my rear end after Execudork again pulls the football away. In a beautiful Art Deco hallway.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Photos are up on the tumblr now, for those of you who are in to that sort of thing. As a reminder, the address is http://dorkroom-ae1-world.tumblr.com.

Anyway, as to where the camera goes next - there are a few US posters in this thread that are posting regularly, seem to want the camera, and I think they'll at least try to get it turned around quickly: xzzy, squidflakes, pseudonordic, and Mr. Despair. Xzzy, at least in theory, also has other goons around. USPS Priority Mail delivers in 2-3 business days, so the camera can move quickly. Finally, the flat rate box I used to send the camera to TheLastManStanding should hold up for a few shipments at least, which means all a recipient has to do is print postage at home (it's cheaper that way) and drop it off at a post office - no worrying about finding a new box, or filling out customs forms, or any of that malarkey.

So, after TheLastManStanding is done with it, I suggest the camera be passed between squidflakes, pseudonordic, and Mr. Despair in whatever order they see fit. After them, it goes to xzzy. When he's done with it, he can either see if the other Chicago goons will shoot quickly or not. If not, xzzy sends it overseas.

Thoughts?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Mostly because I'm mentioned in here, I like this idea.

I'd even be willing to develop one of the rolls in the case.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've got no problem throwing in a few rolls of film to the box for the next few people after me to use (I have a surplus of fuji 100 right now).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

joat mon posted:

If you send it to Oklahoma, I will take a before and after picture of somebody dressed like Execudork's avatar holding a football labeled "convince us you don't suck" and me, dressed like Charlie Brown, on my rear end after Execudork again pulls the football away. In a beautiful Art Deco hallway.

This is an excellent idea.

Sounds good to me. My only worry is that people will use the entirely legitimate, large difference in cost between within-USA and international shipping to imprison the camera within the USA. Eventually, I'd like it to cross an ocean, repeatedly.
I suggested Texas because, months ago, a collection of Texa-goons was forming in this thread. Something about a 4-way meetup in Odessa?

And it's fun to push the "flyover states" button, especially considering where I live. The reactions are consistently funny.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

And it's fun to push the "flyover states" button, especially considering where I live. The reactions are consistently funny.

:smithicide:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Sounds good to me. My only worry is that people will use the entirely legitimate, large difference in cost between within-USA and international shipping to imprison the camera within the USA. Eventually, I'd like it to cross an ocean, repeatedly.
I suggested Texas because, months ago, a collection of Texa-goons was forming in this thread. Something about a 4-way meetup in Odessa?

Texas is a good idea, and maybe it should be shipped to Squidflakes last. There are multiple Texas goons, including Elite Taco who is willing to bite the bullet and ship it overseas.

Maybe make it a countdown, say it can only be shipped 4 more times before it has to leave the country? LastMan to xzzy to Mr. Despair to Pseudonordic to Squidflakes is four hops, Squidflakes hands it to Elite Taco, Elite Taco sends it on its way.

By the time it makes it back to the US, places like Chicago will be out of the winter and should allow for more variety in shots.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm leaving next week to go to Jakarta (it's in Indonesia) for 5 months. Just throwing out an option.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another good suggestion. I don't think a strict countdown is necessary, poo poo happens. We've seen (or, not seen, due to lack of photographic evidence) plenty of poo poo happening in New York. I didn't want to hold anybody to any money-spending/bullet-biting commitments made before the New York quagmire.

Elite Taco, does your offer of long-distance shipping still stand?

Quoting the suggested progression:

Bob Socko posted:

LastMan to xzzy to Mr. Despair to Pseudonordic to Squidflakes is four hops, Squidflakes hands it to Elite Taco, Elite Taco sends it on its way.

EDIT: Saint Fu's post came in while I was fiddling with quote tags. Next week is probably way too tight, unless you live next door to TheLastManStanding.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Indonesia is our closest neighbour :australia:, I'm willing to kick it along to anywhere in Oceania or SE Asia with a roll or two in it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
whenever the camera wills itself toward the midwest again, I'd like to point out that I not only have the skills to expose film BUT ALSO take it to a post office and get a flat-rate box for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'm in South Carolina and I have no qualms about international shipping. I might could even wrangle Clayton Bigsby into participating.

• Locked thread