Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu revealed some new stuff about Dynasty Warriors 8 today.

1) The game will feature "If Scenarios", which as you might expect are levels that greatly differ from historical fact. So it's probably stuff like "What if Sun Jian/Guan Yu/Sima Shi didn't die?".

2) Stages will have an increased officer count, allowing for even more unique officers to get in on the action.

3) Two new characters have been revealed! Zhuge Dan is returning from DW7 with a redesign, he now uses an iron whip. Wen Yang makes his playable debut and uses a spear.

Scans coming sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still want to know the details of the weapon system, how many unique animations people are going to have with "their" weapon, versus generic attacks. I still think switching to that was a mistake in the first place. Ever since I started playing DW games, I have thought of a character's animation set AS that character.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The character is pretty much just a skin once split from their weapon moveset.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still want to know the details of the weapon system, how many unique animations people are going to have with "their" weapon, versus generic attacks. I still think switching to that was a mistake in the first place. Ever since I started playing DW games, I have thought of a character's animation set AS that character.

It's kinda funny cause all the way up through all the series, characters have shared certain movesets. It was most obvious in 2 and 6, but 3-5 also has shared animations for basic Square attacks between characters. They never fully completed decloning characters from 2.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Let us never forget Lu Meng's "generic spear officer" moveset in Dynasty Warriors 3-5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

It's kinda funny cause all the way up through all the series, characters have shared certain movesets. It was most obvious in 2 and 6, but 3-5 also has shared animations for basic Square attacks between characters. They never fully completed decloning characters from 2.
Yeah, but as of Orochi 3, the movesets are at least dissimilar enough from each other for me. I hope 8 has at least that level.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

Wen Yang makes his playable debut and uses a spear.

Another character for Jin. 2 for Wei, 2 for Wu, 3 for Shu, 3 for Jin.

Maybe 1 more coming for Wei and Wu? I think Cao Hong is really hurting for a playable appearance especially since they seem to be moving away from Xiahou Dun and towards Cao Pi as the new mascot for Wei.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the Treasure Box edition! Game, OST, art book... and a LED crystal paperweight with colors for each kingdom.

We've also got scans now for: Wen Yang and Zhuge Dan, Lianshi (Lady Bu) and Sun Quan, and Guo Jia, Jia Xu, Huang Zhong and Pang Tong.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Also the new mode: Commander Mode.

quote:

A mode where the objective is to build a base and make the Emperor come to visit it
Repeat doing battles, and after the base is developed enough (Bronze Pheasant Tower built?), the Emperor will come, which marks game clear
Battles have 3 categories: Skirmishes, Raids and Large-scale Battles
Each battle categories have different reward tendencies: Large-scale Battles tend to get new recruitable partners, Raids increase fame, and Skirmishes gain materials
When an enemy officer is beaten, they can be asked to be recruited as partners
To clear the mode, a balance between Partners, Fame and Material is needed

It sounds really boring so watch them force you to play it to unlock characters. At least Free Mode is back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Two new characters revealed in this week's Shonen Jump for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2

I do not know who they are, as right now I'm reading the Water Seven arc and I just got to the part where Franky and Luffy start fighting in the Shipyard. Franky seems pretty cool, I hope I see more of him. EDIT: According to The Internet, they are Gekko Moriah and Perona.

Chortles posted:

Here's the Treasure Box edition! Game, OST, art book... and a LED crystal paperweight with colors for each kingdom.

We've also got scans now for: Wen Yang and Zhuge Dan, Lianshi (Lady Bu) and Sun Quan, and Guo Jia, Jia Xu, Huang Zhong and Pang Tong.

Whoa, Wen Yang looks cool. It's like he's Zhao Yun with Cao Ren's armor, only it looks like he stole said armor off a miniature Gundam. Chalk up another cool guy for Jin: The Greatest Kingdom, Eat It Nerds.

Suben posted:

Also the new mode: Commander Mode.

It sounds really boring so watch them force you to play it to unlock characters. At least Free Mode is back.

Didn't DW7:XL have something along these lines? Creating a town or something? I never bought XL so I'm not entirely familiar.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 23, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If we can play as Gekko loving Moriah and not Crocodile I'm going to be pretty pissed. I'm okay with Perona though, she's cool.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yesssssssss Thriller Bark. Now all we're missing are Smoker/Tashigi, Kuro, Foxy, Shiki, and secondary characters. (Too bad the game will probably still be less fleshed out than the rest of the Warriors-franchise.)

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pang Tong the pirate? :confused:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

Didn't DW7:XL have something along these lines? Creating a town or something? I never bought XL so I'm not entirely familiar.

Yeah but it was super duper basic. Legends Mode had a town and you picked someone to be your adjutant. Then it was just battles and you'd get free gold or stat books based on your adjutant. They'd also get stat increases to. There wasn't any management at all, it was just a kinda obscured rewards system running in the background.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Two new characters revealed in this week's Shonen Jump for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2

It looks like it says that the release date in Japan is March 20th. I feel like they're really dumping out Musou games over these few months.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raserys posted:

Pang Tong the pirate? :confused:

Pang Tong strikes me as the type of guy who would give no fucks about wearing an off-period outfit.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirPhoebos posted:

Pang Tong strikes me as the type of guy who would give no fucks about wearing an off-period outfit.

Especially considering he already dressed like a giant moth.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
New trailer for DW8 as well as a bunch more short videos for each character. The Sun Jian one is kinda crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OgZQFmb9Sg

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know in my head that it's been like three years since DW7 but when I watch that trailer it feels like I was just watching trailers for DW7 yesterday. I dunno...maybe I will wait on it after all.

Also, I honestly don't know why weapon switching is still in. When it wasn't present in Orochi, I figured it was because they got a big fan backlash and abandoned the idea. Japanese fans are saying the same thing I am, that it reduces character's individuality and that's their selling point.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 24, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know in my head that it's been like three years since DW7 but when I watch that trailer it feels like I was just watching trailers for DW7 yesterday. I dunno...maybe I will wait on it after all.

Also, I honestly don't know why weapon switching is still in. When it wasn't present in Orochi, I figured it was because they got a big fan backlash and abandoned the idea. Japanese fans are saying the same thing I am, that it reduces character's individuality and that's their selling point.

Weapon switching is a laugh for most of the cast, but it's nice for when a character has a lovely EX on a lovely weapon and you're content to use something else they're 3-starred in to get by. Otherwise I've just considered the 'secondary weapon' to be more slots for affixes.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Belzac posted:

New trailer for DW8 as well as a bunch more short videos for each character. The Sun Jian one is kinda crazy.

I'm finally glad that they've given Sun Jian his own weapon that's more than just "generic sword" since he's probably my favorite Three Kingdoms era dude.

Cao Cao's new moveset looks pretty awesome too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

Weapon switching is a laugh for most of the cast, but it's nice for when a character has a lovely EX on a lovely weapon and you're content to use something else they're 3-starred in to get by. Otherwise I've just considered the 'secondary weapon' to be more slots for affixes.
The problem is, in 7 they used it as an excuse to have duplicate weapons and movesets up the wazoo, and then selling the actual unique weapons and movesets by DLC. If that's what they are thinking of this time too then count me out.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I really don't think DW7 has any more cloned move sets than the previous games. But with different musous and EX attacks those cloned move sets are a lot less noticeable.

With XL you get 42 different weapons, which is more than enough variety for me. It looks like we're getting a fair amount more in DW8 so I'm pretty happy with that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've heard you say that before but I don't remember any cloned movesets in say, DW5 and 6. Similar weapons and similar movesets but not identical, I can tell them apart. At least that's my memory of it.

I really, really want a 1:1 character/moveset ratio.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Doesn't everyone just have their own unique EX weapon now?

Like Yuan Shao got some sort of special rapier, and leaving Liu Shan with the generic rapier, everyone who's not Sun Quan got a new sword, all the DLC weapons got assigned?

Also I think Weapon Swapping wasn't in Orochi because Character swapping does the same thing if you do it mid-combo.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've heard you say that before but I don't remember any cloned movesets in say, DW5 and 6. Similar weapons and similar movesets but not identical, I can tell them apart. At least that's my memory of it.

I really, really want a 1:1 character/moveset ratio.

You must not remember 6 very well, they almost had more clones than uniques.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ybrik posted:

You must not remember 6 very well, they almost had more clones than uniques.

Yeah, in DW6 weapons have the same movesets for each character that has them aside from musou attacks. There were more unique weapons in DW7 and you get the EX attacks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

5er posted:

Yeah, I can't stand being forced to play as a character with a really lovely unique style. I'd rather have the option to either use their unique style OR just slap some skills on them to make a good style 5 stars and go to town. If the story mode is going to force us to play certain characters, then it's incredibly awful to be forced into their style. Granted some characters just take awhile to acclimate to, but be damned if I'm adapting to Xiahou Yuan's cavalcade of awfulness.

You can have all the unique styles you want, that's just fine, but I would like to have the option to play a character the way I would want as well. Having less choice is not good.

Belzac posted:

Awwwww yeah Jin's getting more cool guys.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

Having less choice is not good.

This is pretty much how I feel on the topic. As of the most recent reveal every single character officially has their own unique EX weapon. This means that if you play every character with their own weapon, each character does have a unique moveset. Just pretend the weapon switching doesn't exist if you want to replicate that style. But I'll be damned if you force me to use Ma Dai with that paint brush.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There definitely seems more variety in DW8's "same weapon type" movesets, which is nice if that's alongside the EX attacks which was previously the only character-specific variety in DW7 along with Musou Attacks... and the most LOL moment was to see Ling Tong's "rocket chainsaw lance".

Not sure how I feel about Xiahou Yuan getting back the club with the bow only appearing for charge attacks, though I'm guessing that he can also get a bow as its own weapon... but is that Zhuge Liang with a persistent-energy-sphere for a Musou that allows him to perform regular combos? I think it is... while Sun Jian is continuing further along the path of Cool Dad(tm) :colbert:

I'm still disappointed how it seems everyone's new ultra attack ends in AOE knockback, but that's just because I want to chain those combos as high as I can and I dislike combo-breaking moves.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just got my copy of Kessen 2 in.

What the gently caress? That's pretty much the most coherent question I can form about that game. There's flying magic women and ninja catapults and video communication rings and I just don't know. :psyduck:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
The best part of Kessen 2 is unambiguously Sima Yi's ripped abs and incredible hat :mmmhmm:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kind of feeling like I need to play Kessen 2 now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just got my copy of Kessen 2 in.

What the gently caress? That's pretty much the most coherent question I can form about that game. There's flying magic women and ninja catapults and video communication rings and I just don't know. :psyduck:

Well if regular Dynasty Warriors is a somewhat fantastic take on the Three Kingdoms, Kessen 2 is that with the fantasy pumped through the roof.

And a couple of gender-swapped characters just for fun.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Speaking of fantasy Dynasty Warriors, anyone ever play Mystic Heroes? It was kind of neat. OK the voice acting was an atrocity, but still! It was my first exposure to the Dynasty Warriors formula. :kiddo:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Come and see all the new cool guys from Dynasty Warriors 8 in these direct feed screenshots. Zhuge Dan looks like his face could be used as a cutting tool.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zhuge Dan's thing is constantly looking like he's trying to be the most serious person on earth, while trying to power-poo poo an enormous pine cone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al these new Warriors games and still no new Samurai Warriors? :negative:

VVVV Well, that's okay then. :)

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Al these new Warriors games and still no new Samurai Warriors? :negative:

Earlier last year for the anniversary Koei said they were making a Samurai Warriors 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Earlier last year for the anniversary Koei said they were making a Samurai Warriors 4.

And later this year it'll be announced to be Japan-only, Wii U direct download exclusive...