Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sum
Nov 15, 2010

2012 electoral map had the latest republican voting scheme gone through in time for it.
This is a regressive argument
http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/01/no_self-respecting_woman_would.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 26, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Starving the hell out of the beast :smith: Arizona is truly the worst state.

Also, you guys are way too busy arguing over helmets, you're losing the main point, RIDE BICYCLES EVERY DAY

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Bo is incredibly :3: although I don't know how he walks around with feet like that. :ohdear:

Wanna pet that dog.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Hmmmmmmm

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bikes aren't zero emissions, they just run on biofuels.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trillion dollar platinum car.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If both of them said Capitalism this would be a genuinely good picture.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

TenementFunster posted:

I sincerely hope you get a brain injury and lose the ability to type very soon so you don't put others at risk by giving out dangerously bad advice. More bikes on the road isn't going to protect your head, and all the fragile poo poo contained within, in a fall or collision. Everyone else should wear a helmet.

Calm down. I think what he's getting at is this little bit of data. There is a clear connection between the number of riders on the streets and the number of fatalities. More riders means more safety. And it's also a fact that when you introduce a helmet law, fewer people will ride. Thus you end up with more dangerous conditions for those who are willing to ride with a helmet.

Sure, helmets obviously help with head injuries but not getting hit by the car in the first place helps a lot more. The real goal should be to get riders to voluntarily wear helmets and forget about legislation.

ps, to the guy who said bike riding is a hobby. Move to a real city.

Fender fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 26, 2013

FrozenShellfish
Aug 30, 2004

az
Dec 2, 2005

As a paranoid republican I take up the position that biking is a threat to public safety and should be banned. What is Obama hiding behind his helmet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14r54gUdTcg

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

One of the most :flaccid: blog posts I've read in recent memory. Thanks for the nutbar link, I guess..?

lolwat blog posted:

So while pretending this was some kind of debate with contrasting opinions, all of them had the same opinion, which should automatically signal to you it is the wrong one.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Fender posted:

Calm down. I think what he's getting at is this little bit of data. There is a clear connection between the number of riders on the streets and the number of fatalities. More riders means more safety. And it's also a fact that when you introduce a helmet law, fewer people will ride. Thus you end up with more dangerous conditions for those who are willing to ride with a helmet.

Sure, helmets obviously help with head injuries but not getting hit by the car in the first place helps a lot more. The real goal should be to get riders to voluntarily wear helmets and forget about legislation.

ps, to the guy who said bike riding is a hobby. Move to a real city.

2 things. First, that regression is hilariously bad. Second, the argument you've made is that helmets = less riders and less riders = more fatalities, therefore helmets = more fatalities, which is also hilariously bad.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

I don't wear a helmet but I also don't care if I die because Human Extinction Movement.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Togolese troops board the presidential jet for deployment in Mali

Amiss posted:

One of the most :flaccid: blog posts I've read in recent memory. Thanks for the nutbar link, I guess..?
Congratulations on your critical lack of reading comprehension, then? The argument is pretty simple and very plainly laid out.

quote:

The fraud women now believe is that it is wrong to look good for men only, as an end in itself; the progressive delusion is that looking good for men is synonymous with submissiveness, so while you're allowed to look good to men, it should always be secondary to looking good for yourself. This is madness. You are enhancing your outward appearance, which is great, but then you pretend it's for internal reasons?
The evolution from "enhances sexual attractiveness" to "doing it for yourself" is definitely a regressive step, and by regressive I here mean "regressing to age two", but it's the next step which reveals the presence of a neurosis: recruiting science as a justification for behavior: "Study finds makeup makes you appear more competent." Can't wait to read about that study in a Jonah Lehrer book. Ugh. So here's the evolution of feminist theory, take notes: "I want to look better" to "I want to feel better about myself" to "I want people to think I am better." Madness.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

:allears:

Tell me more about how to woman! And I won't tell you how to gun. :patriot:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Iceberg-Slim posted:

2 things. First, that regression is hilariously bad. Second, the argument you've made is that helmets = less riders and less riders = more fatalities, therefore helmets = more fatalities, which is also hilariously bad.

You misunderstand.
Less riders means that cars, the leading cause of deadly injury of bikers, are less aware of how to handle bikes. Mandatory helmet laws makes bikes seem more dangerous and cause people who don`t want to wear helmets for cosmetic reasons to avoid biking.

Helmets only protect for a very small percentage of injuries. Wearing a helmet decreases injuries in this small instance.

Furthermore, biking without a helmet is way less likely to kill you then an otherwise completely sedentary lifestyle.

Also, a piece of safety equipment is only effective if you don`t inadvertently take increased risks due to the assumption of increased safety.

Check it:
http://jimdavies.blogspot.ca/2012/06/what-is-best-bike-helmet.html

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

i poo poo trains posted:

Congratulations on your critical lack of reading comprehension, then? The argument is pretty simple and very plainly laid out.

Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I can't for a second imagine anyone being dumb enough to agree with a word written on that blog. I ventured onto another article, because I hate myself, and I was greeted with

quote:

First, the obvious: what's wrong with hipsters on food stamps is that these are college educated people who should be able to get jobs, not live off the state. They're not black, after all. Hell, one of the two in the article is even Asian. "What, like Russian Asian?" No, like Asian Asian. "Whaaaaaaat?"
Comedy :suicide:

In international news, new protests on Tahrir square.

Good thing these guys are around to document it

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Joementum posted:

Trillion dollar platinum car.

*insert Deus Ex joke here*

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Amused to Death posted:

Starving the hell out of the beast :smith: Arizona is truly the worst state.

gently caress, my native N.H. got railed in 2010. Number 2, behind Air-a-fuckin'-zona? I know the legislature really went kooky when I got laid off from the community college system. I ensured compliance with federal and state law when it came to crime reporting, hazardous waste disposal and storage, and all sorts of other stuff in addition to writing and administrating safety plans, inspecting fire extinguishers, etc. One gently caress up meant a $30k fine if they messed up. You know, to stop people from buring to death or to make sure the college didn't throw away heavy metals. I popped on their website and they're a year behind on reporting, and the fine is the totality of my salary for one year. I'd drop a dime, but snitches get stitches.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I can't for a second imagine anyone being dumb enough to agree with a word written on that blog.

I think it's his blog :ssh:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Extraordinarily Render Slavoj Zizek to Toronto to Watch Evangelion with me

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

i poo poo trains posted:

quote:

How would you like to live in a world where men had to wear make up? "Oh, I love make up on a guy, especially eyeliner." Of course you do, you're having a stroke. Ask it this way: how would you like to be in a world where men said," oh, I feel so much better about myself when I'm wearing makeup." You'd run for the nearest totalitarian regime.

It's full of completely unsubstantiated and harmful bullshit like this. It's entirely possible to want to change your outward appearance for entirely personal reasons, ask any transperson (a group the author no doubt has some colorful opinions about.) Some people don't even wear makeup to "feel better about themselves", they do so because it's a fun and entirely valid form of self-expression, the same as your taste in clothing.

Vulcana, a turn-of-the-century strongwoman famous for using her strength in public acts of heroism, including lifting stuck wagons, saving children from drowning, and rescuing horses from a fire:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Aimee Mullins

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

gently caress, my native N.H. got railed in 2010. Number 2, behind Air-a-fuckin'-zona? I know the legislature really went kooky when I got laid off from the community college system. I ensured compliance with federal and state law when it came to crime reporting, hazardous waste disposal and storage, and all sorts of other stuff in addition to writing and administrating safety plans, inspecting fire extinguishers, etc. One gently caress up meant a $30k fine if they messed up. You know, to stop people from buring to death or to make sure the college didn't throw away heavy metals. I popped on their website and they're a year behind on reporting, and the fine is the totality of my salary for one year. I'd drop a dime, but snitches get stitches.

The cuts NH made and funding realities are worse than that graph depicts. We cut funding to UNH by nearly 50% last year. The total amount we spend towards higher education is half that of Arizona. We cut less than they did because there wasn't much to cut in the first place, and we cut it anyway. For a state that's so dependent on an educated workforce it's insane. Nashua Telegraph article

Thankfully, we didn't end up with this guy for our governor

and O'Brien isn't the speaker of the House anymore.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

quote:

“From an identity standpoint, what does it mean to have a disability? Pamela Anderson has more prosthetic in her body than I do. Nobody calls her disabled”

heh

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

You should probably check out the Feminism & Gender Equality thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520914. It's full of woman-types and their opinions, you'll love it! Or hate it!

... Probably hate it. At least try to check your privilege before posting there, though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There is astoundingly bad logic and some truly bizarre assumptions in this article.

What if I told you that driving was just as dangerous than biking? To be consistent with the above reasoning, you’d want to wear a helmet when driving.

No, to be consistent with the above reasoning, you would want to mitigate danger to your head. That's why cars have seat belts and airbags.

Cycling feels more dangerous than walking and driving. Why is this? It’s because we’re not used to it

I rode 2,500 miles last year and it feels more dangerous to me because I often can only ride in the street with 50 mph traffic and no bike lane. Am I weird for thinking that feels more dangerous than walking on a sidewalk?

Cars have a bit of risk compensation with respect to bike helmets too. In fact, one study found that wearing a bike helmet made cars drive frighteningly closer to you.

Good news: this means that the car actually saw you. In many collisions, they don't! I don't care about cars driving close to me. I care about cars not seeing me and cars actually hitting me.

The effect of risk compensation on biking is increased head injuries. That’s right, as nuts as it might sound, wearing a helmet increases the chance of getting a head injury. The rate of head injuries per active cyclist has increased 51 percent just as bicycle helmets have become widespread.

What are correlation and causation?

Rhandhali posted:

Dad is doing the right thing.

Helmet laws decrease ridership and make biking less safe. They make cycling less convenient and therefore less attractive.
Where do you live and ride?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rope kid fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 26, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've heard that people wearing a helmet take greater risks, thereby mitigating the safety advantage. I tried googling the source for this, but apparently it is a myth. What I did find though is a paper looking at the success of bicycling in Netherland, Denmark, and Germany.

http://www.engr.scu.edu/~emaurer/bike/docs/PUCHERMakingCyclingIrresistibleJune2008.pdf

quote:

Conclusions: Policies to Make Cycling Irresistible

The most important approach to making cycling safe and convenient in Dutch,
Danish and German cities is the provision of separate cycling facilities along
heavily travelled roads and at intersections, combined with extensive traffic calm-ing of residential neighbourhoods. Safe and relatively stress-free cycling routes are especially important for children, the elderly, women and for anyone with special needs due to any sort of disability. Providing such separate facilities to connect practical, utilitarian origins and destinations also promotes cycling for work, school and shopping trips, as opposed to the mainly recreational cycling in the USA, where most separate cycling facilities are along urban parks, rivers and lakes or in rural areas.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/TV2bQxe.jpg:nws:

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 26, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Every city in Germany I rode in was a dream, with completely separated, wide, two-lane bike lanes. I rode a bike all over Ostallgäu and never had to get on a "real" (over ~25 mph) road. Yeah, I didn't wear a helmet when riding in the cycling equivalent of cotton candy land. Safety gear in pretty much any circumstance is about calculating risks and making a personal decision. I don't think we need helmet laws. I wear a helmet most of the time. I fell on my head twice last year, right on the same spot where I'd previously received a concussion. I was pretty glad I had a helmet on in both cases. I was also glad my friend was wearing her helmet when a kid knocked her down and she hit her head on the pavement. And when my co-worker was knocked off her bike in the street. I was extremely glad that my sister and nephew were wearing their motorcycle helmets when they were hit by a car (my sister's head was bounced between the road and the undercarriage of the car that was running over her pelvis). Motorcycle helmets are also mostly "just foam", but they did a pretty good job. I ride by ghost bikes on almost every long ride I make. Someone earlier in the thread diminished cycling deaths as statistically insignificant. They aren't insignificant to me.

If anyone doesn't want to wear a helmet, that's your choice. I don't know every person's riding environment, habits, life experience, or attitude toward life and death. I usually wear a helmet and am often the lone rider on long stretches of three-lane 40-50mph streets with no provisions for cyclists. Many American cycling enthusiasts, recreational or commuters, are like this: riding alone when no one else does, where no one else does, often verbally -- sometimes physically -- attacked for doing so. For those of us who choose to wear helmets, please don't give us poo poo for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What would happen if people took the "don't wear a helmet!" advice in the US.

There are a lot of reasons bikes never took off in the USA. The biggest problem is suburbia - so many people live so far from anything useful like grocery stores or their jobs for bikes to be practical. I agree in major cities it OUGHT to be all bikes all the time, but the US is a pretty poo poo place to live for a first world country.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Good thing these guys are around to document it

He's wearing a helmet, doesn't he know that isn't safe?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rhandhali posted:

Dad is doing the right thing.

Helmet laws decrease ridership and make biking less safe. They make cycling less convenient and therefore less attractive. That means there are more cars and fewer cyclists who are now in greater danger than they would have been otherwise. Drivers are also more cautious around unhelmeted cyclists than they are around helmeted ones. City cycle programs are murdered in their infancy by helmet laws.

More helmets mean fewer cyclists that are more at risk. That means more people using cars, more CO2, less exercise, more obesity and more years lost to disability from the attendant obesity. They perpetuate the car-centric lifestyle which is good for nobody.

Look at those maniacs.

Generally they are a bit silly, helmets save lives. It's like wearing a seatbelt in cars.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The "just foam" thing really irks me, because it demonstrates that there's a lack of understanding in regard to the purpose of a helmet. By wearing that piece of plastic and foam you're wearing a cushion. The foam helps to dampen an impact, as energy is not transferred as efficiently through foam. This can be the difference between a few cuts and a headache and a concussion or fractured skull. The point isn't to outright protect you from injury, it's to protect you from more serious injury. Think of it like this: the helmet is like a second skull. So while it might get cracked and damaged, it will absorb enough of the impact to prevent you from taking more damage. If you were to be wearing something other than a foam lined helmet, like say a helmet made entirely of metal or hard plastic, you'd might as well not wear a helmet at all because all the energy from an impact would be transferred right through the material and into your head. Metal and plastic transfer energy quite well, foam does not.

Here's a blog post I found doing a little searching.

Bell Sweep - The Anatomy Of A Crashed Bike Helmet

It's a first-hand account from a bicyclist about how his helmet protected him from more serious injury.

And I'm gonna say this again: I don't give a gently caress whether or not you, as an adult capable of making your own decisions, wear a helmet. I care about kids wearing helmets. Kids are not adults. They're not fully developed, they don't make rational decisions a majority of the time, they're impulsive, and they're clumsy. They need helmets.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

The "just foam" thing really irks me, because it demonstrates that there's a lack of understanding in regard to the purpose of a helmet. By wearing that piece of plastic and foam you're wearing a cushion. The foam helps to dampen an impact, as energy is not transferred as efficiently through foam. This can be the difference between a few cuts and a headache and a concussion or fractured skull. The point isn't to outright protect you from injury, it's to protect you from more serious injury. Think of it like this: the helmet is like a second skull. So while it might get cracked and damaged, it will absorb enough of the impact to prevent you from taking more damage. If you were to be wearing something other than a foam lined helmet, like say a helmet made entirely of metal or hard plastic, you'd might as well not wear a helmet at all because all the energy from an impact would be transferred right through the material and into your head. Metal and plastic transfer energy quite well, foam does not.

Here's a blog post I found doing a little searching.

Bell Sweep - The Anatomy Of A Crashed Bike Helmet

It's a first-hand account from a bicyclist about how his helmet protected him from more serious injury.

And I'm gonna say this again: I don't give a gently caress whether or not you, as an adult capable of making your own decisions, wear a helmet. I care about kids wearing helmets. Kids are not adults. They're not fully developed, they don't make rational decisions a majority of the time, they're impulsive, and they're clumsy. They need helmets.

Spot on, its pretty basic and yet so many people seem to think it does nothing. One thing to remember after an accident you should get a new helmet otherwise it doesn't work the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

If there was a maximum wage this man would be able to extract more profit from his corporations without having to pay big money to upper management. A conservative picture?

I don't really get all the raging about executive compensation. They are often overpaid for the value they bring to the company for sure, but why not focus on the people who actually own the corporation and earn tens of millions of dollars virtually tax free for doing absolutely nothing beyond extracting profit?

• Locked thread