Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

hayden. posted:

The Ninja 250 is up to like 5k new isn't it? Even the cheaper brands like Hyosung start at about 4k after fees and taxes for the smaller models. I can't imagine it's feasible to make them any cheaper.

Pretty much. Anything cheaper and you're looking at Chinese made, and frankly you can tell it's a chinese made bike built to a sub 3k price point. Hell, Honda's blowing their leftover 2012 250s out for 3600 bucks, the 500s are supposed to be around 5400, the 700x which is simply a great bike is 6.9k. Even your boutique brands like BMW and Ducati have bikes in the 7-8k range new. Kawasaki just refreshed their "low end" and Suzuki is bringing in their new 250s.

Short of bringing in 125s or some other third world specials that no one in their right mind would touch, not sure how you expect them to get much more "entry level".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The high prices are a consequence of the devaluation of the dollar, against the yen and in general. Ain't much the bike companies can do about that.

I forgot to mention, I was talking to the Suzuki guy and pointed at the S40 and asked a question about 'the Savage' and he got all ticked off

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It was only a few years ago that a new 250 ninja had a 3k MSRP, however I guess things like

Snowdens Secret posted:

The high prices are a consequence of the devaluation of the dollar, against the yen and in general. Ain't much the bike companies can do about that.

Can get in the way of that.

edit: Kwak still has 09's and 08s listed as 3,500 msrp on their website. I can't say for sure but I remember 07 and previous being right near 3k and not even 5 years ago. To have the base price go up 2k in that time sucks, whether it's global markets or more stuff on the bikes or whatever the reason.

ThatCguy posted:

Amen. 48 today and a 25 mile ride turned into 120. 35 mph crosswinds kind of suck, but drat it's nice for the middle of January.

All of this today except I planned on the ride being at least 120.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 19, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
We should play the "find the most expensive Ninja 250" and see someone trying to sell a Ninja 300 with ABS and an aftermarket exhaust and a few other pieces of plastic for like $7000 on the showroom floor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hayden. posted:

We should play the "find the most expensive Ninja 250" and see someone trying to sell a Ninja 300 with ABS and an aftermarket exhaust and a few other pieces of plastic for like $7000 on the showroom floor.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3555631373.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Anyone heading for the MCN show at Excel in London next month? I'll be going on the Friday because it's quieter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Just got back from the metric dealer to look at the '13 ZX-6R. Pretty bike but doesn't fit my needs, the pearl white is great nonetheless.

They also had their TU250x models marked down to $3399. Hard not to buy one at that price.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 20, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Snowdens Secret posted:

I forgot to mention, I was talking to the Suzuki guy and pointed at the S40 and asked a question about 'the Savage' and he got all ticked off

"Okay then, how about that Volusia? Or the 1800 Marauder over there?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ you can get a brand new GN125 for just under NZ$2000. Or a GN250 for slightly more than that.

Why anyone would want to is beyond me.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

clutchpuck posted:

Just got back from the metric dealer to look at the '13 ZX-6R. Pretty bike but doesn't fit my needs, the pearl white is great nonetheless.

They also had their TU250x models marked down to $3399. Hard not to buy one at that price.

Why doesn't it fit your needs?

Since I saw my first '13 zx-6r in person last week (also white), I've been fantasizing about what they look naked.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

XYLOPAGUS posted:

It warmed up today in SoCAL so I'm planning on taking a mid-day ride through canyon country. I put new tires on it recently and I'm pretty psyched about trying them out. These are my first set of new tires EVER on a motorbike and the ones on the 250 before were the OEMs.

NOTE that I did some slaloms in a parking lot for a good 15 minutes after mounting the tires (on a ~20 mile in-town ride). I'm also pretty dang slow in the corners, so I'm not too worried about the new tires killing me. Let me know if I'm wrong and I should be more worried.

Just got back from ~140 miles of riding. What a blast. Today, I learned that I'm still a noob and I still love the poo poo out of riding. :3:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Just got back from ~140 miles of riding. What a blast. Today, I learned that I'm still a noob and I still love the poo poo out of riding. :3:

New tires are an awesome feeling, totally makes the bike a new beast if you're coming from flat pieces of poo poo.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I went to a motorcycle trade show/swap meet today. It was a rather large disappointment overall. It was great if you wanted to have a custom chopper made, liked patches and bandannas, or wanted some very cheap leather gear at seriously marked up prices. Aside from that though I saw Illinois ABATE had a booth setup, and staffed entirely with Vietnam era vets, and I've been meaning to look into joining with them.

They were looking for donations and explaining to people that they're a lobbying org for motorcycle rights, and I immediately asked if they had anything in the works for lane splitting in Illinois. The response was an astonished 'Oh god no. That's too dangerous and every time it gets brought up it never even makes it out of our internal meetings. Drivers here are not educated at all about it and would kill everybody trying to do it. No no no. We have fought several times over the last few years to keep Illinois a helmet law free state though.'

I expect this from an average joe, rider or not. Lane splitting is a mixed bag, and a lot of people really do need to get over how intimidating it looks and dig into some of the stats around it to come around. I was just seriously disappointed to know that a lobbying organization hadn't seemed to bother doing so. They're fighting for my rights to not wear a helmet, but I apparently had some serious balls to even consider anything regarding lane splitting. It just looks so dangerous. The stats are pretty straightforward for those that care to look, and I had hoped a lobbying org like this would care to.

I didn't bother asking about something like reduced tolls for motorcycles I just sort of moved along. All in all a rather disappointing day, but it's never all bad to hang around bikers and bikes. I did see some very cool looking custom paint work, and got a business card from a custom cycle guy who may be able to make me a stylish sissy bar and rack, and I'll probably break even for a cool part since they go for small fortunes ($400+) on e-bay for my bike.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 20, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I kind of liked the idea of ABATE when I saw some of their billboards up with general "watch out for motorcycles!" messages.

Then I learned that they primarily fight to eliminate helmet laws, and I liked them a little less cause that seems like a really pissy thing to make your primary agenda. I personally think it's a stupid cause, and it's definitely a real waste of lobbying effort when they could be pushing for legislation on things like lane-splitting or parking or tolls or carpool lanes or whatever.

Then I learned that they don't really care for DUI laws either, and a lot of ABATE meetings are just big drunken bashes that end up with drunken riding, and now I don't really like ABATE very much any more.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I've spoken to a local ABATE member a couple times (friend of a scooter friend) and she says they've lobbied for use of bicycle lanes here in WA/Seattle. As an occasional cyclist that scares the hell out of me. Bike lanes are generally terrifying enough already in this city. ABATE is dumb.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

I went to a motorcycle trade show/swap meet today. It was a rather large disappointment overall. It was great if you wanted to have a custom chopper made, liked patches and bandannas, or wanted some very cheap leather gear at seriously marked up prices. Aside from that though I saw Illinois ABATE had a booth setup, and staffed entirely with Vietnam era vets, and I've been meaning to look into joining with them.

They were looking for donations and explaining to people that they're a lobbying org for motorcycle rights, and I immediately asked if they had anything in the works for lane splitting in Illinois. The response was an astonished 'Oh god no. That's too dangerous and every time it gets brought up it never even makes it out of our internal meetings. Drivers here are not educated at all about it and would kill everybody trying to do it. No no no. We have fought several times over the last few years to keep Illinois a helmet law free state though.'

I expect this from an average joe, rider or not. Lane splitting is a mixed bag, and a lot of people really do need to get over how intimidating it looks and dig into some of the stats around it to come around. I was just seriously disappointed to know that a lobbying organization hadn't seemed to bother doing so. They're fighting for my rights to not wear a helmet, but I apparently had some serious balls to even consider anything regarding lane splitting. It just looks so dangerous. The stats are pretty straightforward for those that care to look, and I had hoped a lobbying org like this would care to.

I didn't bother asking about something like reduced tolls for motorcycles I just sort of moved along. All in all a rather disappointing day, but it's never all bad to hang around bikers and bikes. I did see some very cool looking custom paint work, and got a business card from a custom cycle guy who may be able to make me a stylish sissy bar and rack, and I'll probably break even for a cool part since they go for small fortunes ($400+) on e-bay for my bike.

I was at the show and made the mistake of telling the GF about the SOA actors thinking it would entice her to go. The show was pretty awful aside from the actual used parts swap area and for sale corral in the convention center across the street and the one really neat military themed Suzuki s40. She really wanted a picture with the actor who plays Juice so at 10:30 they told her to wait in the other building at noon and they would start signing at 2. Well they didn't show til 5 so the abate lady decided she should come over and start ranting over the PA about how the government wanted to photograph all your tattoos and track you if you were a biker and how ABATE was keeping 'Merica free and helmetless. The problem was she had a 10 minute speech she kept endlessly repeating for hours. I figured there would be more swap and less dip/barbecue sauce vendors. I think in the future I'll go to walneck's swaps exclusively.

The S40

And while there were plenty of terrible or questionable theme bikes this the the one that that really made no sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's with the red on the tank? It looks like jpeg artifacting yet the rest of the picture is fine. Is it an unintended camera effect or something?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

What's with the red on the tank? It looks like jpeg artifacting yet the rest of the picture is fine. Is it an unintended camera effect or something?

Looks fine to me?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Not sure, I'm getting it too. Probably Imgur's thumbnail process causing artifacts.

The full size is here
http://imgur.com/mg9ovuO

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 20, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone heading for the MCN show at Excel in London next month? I'll be going on the Friday because it's quieter.

I'd consider it, but I'm working that Friday. I went a few years ago and thought it was a bit disappointing for the price of entry. It was peak credit crunch, however.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Do you have a full size of the Obama bike? That was hilarious and had me kicking myself for not bringing my camera. I guess ABATE still has it's priorities pretty firmly based on the MC culture. I didn't even go to the parts swap portion of the show figuring it would be mostly H-D stuff and garbage quality parts. The international motorcycle show is coming to town in Feb. I'm thinking that will have more of what I was expecting this one to have. Vendors for various accessories at prices not found on the web.

We didn't go to the SOA stuff either. I like the show, but didn't really have any interest in standing in line for a cheesy celeb pose photo.

Pubic Lair posted:

Not sure, I'm getting it too. Probably Imgur's thumbnail process causing artifacts.

The full size is here
http://imgur.com/mg9ovuO

My favorite touch about that was the grenade footpegs. Nice subtle touch to the theme.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 20, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The frozen/near-frozen fog we're getting for the past several days is killing me. Want so badly to climb up on the Ulysses but I know it's going to be terrible.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Halo_4am posted:

The international motorcycle show is coming to town in Feb. I'm thinking that will have more of what I was expecting this one to have. Vendors for various accessories at prices not found on the web.

I can't imagine yours will be that different from NYC, in which case expect lots of patches and bandanas, cheap leather gear at inflated prices, and a very large booth of SOA novelty T-shirts. There were show discounts on GoPro Silvers and some Scala Rider stuff but they weren't very compelling; if you're expecting bike-specific parts, forget it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's the same show. I'm specifically in the market for a bluetooth headset, and the price to beat is Sena's pack of 2 for $220 on Amazon. Can you recall if there we Scala units for about that?

Otherwise I just look forward to seeing a bunch of bikes from manufacturer booths and what not. There was none of that for this most recent one aside from Victory with a Judge on display, just custom choppers and paint jobs.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Do you have a full size of the Obama bike? That was hilarious and had me kicking myself for not bringing my camera. I guess ABATE still has it's priorities pretty firmly based on the MC culture. I didn't even go to the parts swap portion of the show figuring it would be mostly H-D stuff and garbage quality parts. The international motorcycle show is coming to town in Feb. I'm thinking that will have more of what I was expecting this one to have. Vendors for various accessories at prices not found on the web.

We didn't go to the SOA stuff either. I like the show, but didn't really have any interest in standing in line for a cheesy celeb pose photo.

My favorite touch about that was the grenade footpegs. Nice subtle touch to the theme.

The swap was mostly new harley parts but there was a few ujm's/mopeds for sale and a fair number of guys with large selections of used stuff. The only thing I was looking for was a sportster nacelle and fork gaiters so I didn't expect to find anything anyways. I was hoping to leave the GF in line and go through the show as I could care less about c-list cable actors but due to them cancelling the signings in the morning we both went through the show together and I ended up getting stuck with nothing to do but wait in line or the car. The upside is the GF was really taken by the new sportster 72's they had on display so she decided if her KZ305 dies she wants a 72.

Between walneck's, craigsnotify and the cycle barn in edgerton there really isn't much point in going to any other bike swaps.

Here is a full size of the stimulus cycle.
http://imgur.com/HipXeJj

Halo_4am posted:

It's the same show. I'm specifically in the market for a bluetooth headset, and the price to beat is Sena's pack of 2 for $220 on Amazon. Can you recall if there we Scala units for about that?

Otherwise I just look forward to seeing a bunch of bikes from manufacturer booths and what not. There was none of that for this most recent one aside from Victory with a Judge on display, just custom choppers and paint jobs.

When I was buying my scala q2 set I found the cheapest bin ebay reseller and called the direct and paid off ebay and they discounted the price 10% to reflect skipping the ebay fees.

If you go to the Chicago Show and buy tix's online promo code ABATE will take $3 off per ticket.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 21, 2013

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't imagine yours will be that different from NYC, in which case expect lots of patches and bandanas, cheap leather gear at inflated prices, and a very large booth of SOA novelty T-shirts.

Isn't this most how most motorcycle events and shows go here in the US? Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything but those within riding distance of northeast Ohio.

Are there any must-visit events for the rest of us?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

the walkin dude posted:

Why doesn't it fit your needs?

Since I saw my first '13 zx-6r in person last week (also white), I've been fantasizing about what they look naked.

Not enough payload space or factory bungee anchors, too aggressive ergos, suspension not set up for Snohomish and King county roads, can't see myself doing a 500 mile day on it and then wanting to do another. Plus, it's too pretty; if I got one it would look like junk in an instant. Something that looks good with some... patina... is a good match for me; I still have tar stains from some nasty Montana chip seal all over the Uly.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

SimplyCosmic posted:

Isn't this most how most motorcycle events and shows go here in the US? Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything but those within riding distance of northeast Ohio.

Are there any must-visit events for the rest of us?

I.X. Center this weekend. Cycle show.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't imagine yours will be that different from NYC, in which case expect lots of patches and bandanas, cheap leather gear at inflated prices, and a very large booth of SOA novelty T-shirts. There were show discounts on GoPro Silvers and some Scala Rider stuff but they weren't very compelling; if you're expecting bike-specific parts, forget it.

I missed the show this year because of a family medical issue, but since it's never that great, missing it wasn't a big deal. There's maybe a handful of bikes I'm interested in. That and people watching. People watching is half the fun of the NYC motorcycle show. You get every conceivable flavor of "biker" and a fair number of people who use the show as an excuse to wear full leathers on the subway.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Deep cold has come to upstate New York. 3 degrees tonight. The roads are white as whoa, too (assuming that's the salt effect).

Entombment.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Kevin Ash has died :( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/kevin-ash-rip/ http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2013/January/jan2313-kevin-ash-obit/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Say what you want about HFL, this is wonderful and brilliant (no Wes).

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2013/01/rideapart-review-ducati-1199-panigale-s/

The final paragraph is perhaps the best bit. But I also like to see the inevitable, classic and lovely Ducati perception of reality. "Nothing went wrong!" followed by a list of things that went wrong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2013/01/rideapart-review-ducati-1199-panigale-s/

The final paragraph is perhaps the best bit. But I also like to see the inevitable, classic and lovely Ducati perception of reality. "Nothing went wrong!" followed by a list of things that went wrong.

That is indeed wonderful.

In fairness, nothing went wrong that stranded him in any meaningful fashion, and nearly all of those things were probably due to lovely dealership mechanics.

Me and Spiffness have been talking for years now about doing something really stupid. Maybe one day we'll actually do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Thats awesome. I'm a huge proponent of touring on things that werent meant for touring. As mentioned, its really rewarding, and the challenge is fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats awesome. I'm a huge proponent of touring on things that werent meant for touring. As mentioned, its really rewarding, and the challenge is fun.

An acquaintance of mine would tour Europe on his 916SPS with not so much as a rucksack, just a credit card and a list of hotels. He'd literally spend a couple of weeks in his leathers, maybe occasionally buying a t-shirt and some trousers if he wanted to go out of his hotel to eat and then leaving them behind the next morning. Fortunately I never met him after one of these trips but before he'd had a chance to change and shower.

(The friend we shared was either less, or more, hardcore depending on your point of view. He'd tour on a Ninja 900 and take a couple of changes of clothes in a tankbag, but instead of hotels he'd sleep on a foil blanket - no sleeping bag or tent - at campsites. If it rained he just put his waterproofs on)

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An acquaintance of mine would tour Europe on his 916SPS with not so much as a rucksack, just a credit card and a list of hotels.

My wife and I tour almost this way. Get to the end of the driveway, flip a coin as to which direction we head and it's that way for a week or so. Minimal clothing in a tank bag on each of our bikes and leathers. We usually decide to find a hotel or somewhere to stay at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, be it a hostel or a 5 star hotel.

Makes for great fun when we decide to rock up to a premium hotel at a glitzy tourist destination and rent the best room available for the night. The Valet's give us "complementary free self parking", the receptionists generally either are really interested or turn their noses up at our bug covered leathers and many other guests are much the same.

On the other hand, the staff at the cheaper places are often interested in the trip and don't care we're leaving a trail of dead insects through their lobby.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You stop right there. BMW owners do not wear leather vests.

As a BMW owner, I can verify this. I own several leather jackets, but like anyone with taste, would be caught dead before wearing a leather vest. :colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

snail posted:

My wife and I tour almost this way. Get to the end of the driveway, flip a coin as to which direction we head and it's that way for a week or so. Minimal clothing in a tank bag on each of our bikes and leathers. We usually decide to find a hotel or somewhere to stay at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, be it a hostel or a 5 star hotel.

drat I need to get off my rear end and start doing this. Take a 3-4 day weekend and just ride, camp wherever or get a hotel then take a different route back.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Meanwhile, at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland, Ohio meeting ...

Cleveland :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

Meanwhile, at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland, Ohio meeting ...

Cleveland :argh:

God-drat it middle America.