Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I really need to migrate to systemd but am terrified because I don't want to break my raid :(

Ataxerxes posted:

Could you recommend me a Linux distribution? I have been using Kubuntu on my old mini laptop, but I find the interface weird and confusing. Which distribution would be close to something like Windows XP, basic and simple? The laptop is a HP mini, 4 years old, low on both memory and processing power. It runs the most recent Kubuntu just fine, I just don't like the way
the interface is set up.

LXDE may work for you but you need to remember that Linux != Windows, things will be different so you'll need to adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
In retrospect I probably could have just installed a version that included the initscripts for the daemon from ARM first, which would have made my life much easier.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Any reason the Netflix Desktop app for Ubuntu is using 33% of each of my 4 cores and 4GB of RAM? The video is pretty jittery as well.
If I do a top, the plugin-container is using 50-60% of my cpu and wineserver is using about 20%.
If I do an htop, there are about 10 of these:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe --channel=45.93ca800.203920779 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\4.1.10329.0\npctrl.dll
And about 5 of these:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -profile C:\netflix-profile http://www.netflix.com/

I feel like I could run chrome in a Windows VM and get much better performance than this. I know it's wine and all, but drat.

Edit: Yeah, gently caress all that. I booted up a VM and now I'm watching west wing in style.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 22, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicFrog posted:

Import it how? What are you using to share the music between the two machines? And are you actually trying to stream it (i.e. you have some kind of streaming music server running on the 12.04 box that you're trying to connect to), or are you trying to load the music files (stored on the 12.04 box) in Rhythmbox on 12.10?

If the latter, I find the easiest approach is generally:
- install sshd on the server, make sure there's a firewall exception for it if necessary
- in the client's file manager, Connect To Server, port 22, protocol SSH (or, from the command line, sshfs user@servername:/path/to/music /path/to/mountpoint
- now you have the server mounted over ssh and can open all of your stuff in Rhythmbox or whatever.

In my experience, this is generally more reliable and easier to working than NFS or windows file sharing.

Of course, all of this assumes you have a reliable connection between the two computers. If you don't it may just be crapping out under load while rhythmbox is trying to read the id3 tags or something.

Import it into the library so I could stream them over the network via Samba. Sorry, it was late when I wrote the post. Rythmbox wouldn't open the files even when I copied them over to the client computer so I'm assuming the program is encountering problems other than the network; which wasn't at fault in the slightest. Banshee seems to work flawlessly for my purposes.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Questions: Can anyone tell me how lubuntu installs itself? Can I recover my data?

I dug out this old laptop from 6-7 years ago and thought I would try putting lubuntu on it. I put it on a thumb drive and booted off that. It was was faster than the old vista install. So I clicked on install lubuntu and was going to make a partition to dual boot it. Well the screen I saw wasn't as easy to use as mint linux was. I tried to stumble my way through and it started installing on it. Oops I said and canceled the install. Well the net result is vista is gone and now that I dug the computer out, someone saw it and told me that she still has photos on it that aren't backed up anywhere. Oh poo poo.

I booted back through the thumb drive and the hard drive is wiped. I can't imagine that it was formatted since it was installing for about 5 seconds. Is there anyway to get the data back? I was thinking I would have to pay someone to try and get it back. How hosed am I?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Questions: Can anyone tell me how lubuntu installs itself? Can I recover my data?

I dug out this old laptop from 6-7 years ago and thought I would try putting lubuntu on it. I put it on a thumb drive and booted off that. It was was faster than the old vista install. So I clicked on install lubuntu and was going to make a partition to dual boot it. Well the screen I saw wasn't as easy to use as mint linux was. I tried to stumble my way through and it started installing on it. Oops I said and canceled the install. Well the net result is vista is gone and now that I dug the computer out, someone saw it and told me that she still has photos on it that aren't backed up anywhere. Oh poo poo.

I booted back through the thumb drive and the hard drive is wiped. I can't imagine that it was formatted since it was installing for about 5 seconds. Is there anyway to get the data back? I was thinking I would have to pay someone to try and get it back. How hosed am I?

There's nothing special about how lubuntu installs itself, I'm pretty sure it uses the same installer as ubuntu does. I have no idea what you did but it could have been doing something as simple as resizing the vista install to make room for itself. There should be a conformation popup or something before it writes to the disk so you must have really not been paying attention if it started installing without your consent.

As far as getting your data back goes, there are programs that will scan the hard drive and recover everything from the bits of metadata sprinkled around the disk. I don't know which ones are the best but if you don't get a recommendation in here then ask in the windows thread. If you don't trust yourself with doing computer stuff then simply sending it to a professional might be the best choice.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I accidentally deleted a partition on the wrong drive a couple weeks ago and used something called TestDisk to recover it. I don't know anything about it other than I used it and it worked. Basically it did a deep search, found all my files, and I was able to copy them to another partition. If it just deleted the partition, but didn't format it, you may be fine. It also may have just deleted the partition table or something and all the data is still there.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Edit: the laptop's probably not bootable, so you might need to boot from a live cd and run it from there.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 23, 2013

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
So I'm having a wifi issue. When I'm using the internet, my connection will suddenly stop. Nothing will load for between 5 and 30 seconds, sometimes longer. When this is happening, I've tried pinging various things, and I'll be unable to transmit. I've only noticed it happening on my school's network. I've disabled 11n, power management is off, I've disabled IPv6, and I can't find anything else on google to help me. I have this problem across kernel version, and on fresh installs on ubuntu. There are no problems with windows or android.

I had been having this problem before, and I had found somewhere that I should set a specific bssid for the connection. That had been working, until yesterday. Now, when I try to set a specific bssid, when it reconnects to the access point it will create a new profile for the access point, eliminating the chosen bssid. When I check using iwconfig, it's still using the bssid I set, but it refuses to use a connection where I specify the bssid.

For reference, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, and from lspci: Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (rev 35)

This is by far the most annoying computer issue I have ever come across. It's making my internet almost unusable because of how often it will stop loading pages.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I'm having a font-rendering problem in Firefox 18 that I haven't seen in any previous version, nor do I see it in any other application. Cross-posting from the Firefox thread, just in case anyone here has ideas:

I'm having a new font rendering problem. I think it cropped up when I upgraded to 18.0, but I haven't used this computer much for a few weeks so it could have been around in some 17.x version.

Gmail:

Twitter:

The comparison is to Chrome. Firefox is first in both images, and Chrome is second, and at 3x scale. The "Gmail" text and the "TWEETS/FOLLOWING/FOLLWERS" text are the biggest problems in these images.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fourwood posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell laptop with Intel graphics. This doesn't seem to be a problem with most sites, or even all text on a problem site. And I haven't noticed any problems in any application outside of Firefox. I at least skimmed the about :config for anything with "font" in it and nothing seemed to suggest hinting/smoothing/subpixel rendering adjustments, so I'm at a loss. It's kind of starting to drive me nuts, though. Is there any way to fine-tune font rendering, or am I going to have to bug report this?

Have you tried playing around with settings like this link: http://blog.andreas-haerter.com/2011/07/18/tune-improve-fedora-fonts-typeface-ubuntu-like-sharp-fonts

Not sure if that stuff applies anymore.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks for the info. I think I will just pay someone to do it. I may be able to do it myself, but am not willing to risk it. Time to pay the idiot tax.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thanks for the info. I think I will just pay someone to do it. I may be able to do it myself, but am not willing to risk it. Time to pay the idiot tax.

GetDataBack NTFS. You can find it at the usual places. Run it from a PE disk.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
This might be a stupid question, but I just found a book called UNIX Shells by Ellie Quigley from 1999 in my house, is there any value in reading this, or is the information so out of date as to be useless?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

evol262 posted:

GetDataBack NTFS. You can find it at the usual places. Run it from a PE disk.

PE disk? :aaaaa: Didn't know microsoft made that available. That is so awesome. My buddy suggested pulling the drive and hooking it up to another computer with a sata-usb cord which I didn't like so much. Right now, I know just enough to get me in trouble, so this sounds way safer. Thanks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm a big fan of system metrics -- we're storing 400,000 system metrics per minute in Graphite. One piece of data coverage that's really important, that we don't currently have, is the snapshot of a system's process state at any particular point in time. Does anyone know of any tools that will basically dump something like the output of ps aux into a database and let us review historical data for some period of time? This is mostly for an HPC cluster.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Third Man posted:

This might be a stupid question, but I just found a book called UNIX Shells by Ellie Quigley from 1999 in my house, is there any value in reading this, or is the information so out of date as to be useless?

The information might be relevant, but do you use all of the shells the book covers? You might as well read the online documentation for the one shell you use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fourwood posted:

Firefox uses the standard font stack as the rest of the system — Pango/Cairo/FontConfig/FreeType, etc. Chrome uses its own Skia-based renderer. Does this happen with other desktop programs, if you can somehow get them to display red text? I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but something like this python script should work:

Python code:
from gi.repository import Gtk

w = Gtk.Window()
label = Gtk.Label()
label.set_markup('<span foreground="#dd4b39">Gmail</span>')
w.add(label)
w.show_all()

Gtk.main()
Copy/paste the above code to a file called "font_tester.py", and then run from the terminal with "python font_tester.py". Take a screenshot of the thing with xmag.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I've got a complex SVG (or PDF, if that's easier) of a large social network graph. What can I use to view it?

What I've tried so far either half-asses displaying it (librsvg), chokes despite not using much resources (Firefox and Chrome). Chrome seems the best bet, i.e. it will work, but slowly and without nice click-and-drag style controls.

Is there anything that does this and can take advantage of multiple cores/large amounts of RAM/powerful GPUs?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

fivre posted:

I've got a complex SVG (or PDF, if that's easier) of a large social network graph. What can I use to view it?

What I've tried so far either half-asses displaying it (librsvg), chokes despite not using much resources (Firefox and Chrome). Chrome seems the best bet, i.e. it will work, but slowly and without nice click-and-drag style controls.

Is there anything that does this and can take advantage of multiple cores/large amounts of RAM/powerful GPUs?

Google is pointing me towards this app for svg http://inkscape.org

It has been ages, but I think I remember The Gimp exporting to the format at least so it might be worth a try as well.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Misogynist posted:

I'm a big fan of system metrics -- we're storing 400,000 system metrics per minute in Graphite. One piece of data coverage that's really important, that we don't currently have, is the snapshot of a system's process state at any particular point in time. Does anyone know of any tools that will basically dump something like the output of ps aux into a database and let us review historical data for some period of time? This is mostly for an HPC cluster.

Is there specific information you want to get out of ps? You can process the output with awk to create a csv file and script that being imported into the database.

If this is for metrics, consider using the -Ao options to specify what columns you actually want. Here's an example that takes the ouput of ps and formats it with tab delimitation. tabs might now work too well if a command has args so consider using commas or something else.

code:
ps -Ao args:80,time,user --sort time|awk -v OFS='\t' '{$1=$1}1'>ps-$(date +%F-%T).csv
Edit: I screwed the pooch with the awk command.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 24, 2013

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

hifi posted:

The information might be relevant, but do you use all of the shells the book covers? You might as well read the online documentation for the one shell you use.

If the book is well-written, it might be more useful as an introduction to using the shell than the online documentation.
Some old Unix books start at the very fundamentals, whereas modern documentation tends to assume that the user is already familiar with the basic concepts... for whatever definition of "basic" the writer happens to use.

The online documentation for some shells also seems to suffer from reference-itis, i.e. it's useful for looking up things if you already know what you're doing in general terms, but rather inconvenient to use for learning something completely new.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a hdd with LINUX on it. Besides the boot partition, there is a a ~500GB LUKS partition containing a LVM physical volume with five logical volumes inside. I want to gather this all up into a image I can boot in a KVM VM.

My first problem is that I don't have 500GB free on the host machine to just dump a giant ISO on. Luckily, I only want four of the five LVs and they are only ~35GB total.

I vaguely know how to do this (ha), but I would love a step-by-step so I don't waste all day figuring it out. Can some one push me in the right direction, or even help me with some google search terms? I keep finding information on migrating a VM from one machine to another.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have a hdd with LINUX on it. Besides the boot partition, there is a a ~500GB LUKS partition containing a LVM physical volume with five logical volumes inside. I want to gather this all up into a image I can boot in a KVM VM.

My first problem is that I don't have 500GB free on the host machine to just dump a giant ISO on. Luckily, I only want four of the five LVs and they are only ~35GB total.

I vaguely know how to do this (ha), but I would love a step-by-step so I don't waste all day figuring it out. Can some one push me in the right direction, or even help me with some google search terms? I keep finding information on migrating a VM from one machine to another.

It's sad, because ZFS does this so easily, but LVM snapshots, scp, and dd.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

evol262 posted:

It's sad, because ZFS does this so easily, but LVM snapshots, scp, and dd.

The system isn't live?

My plan was roughly:

1. Create qcow2 volume
2. Create partitions/LUKS/PV/LVs in qcow2 volume
3. dd original LVs to new LVs in loop mounted qcow2 volume?

Step 2/3 maybe being most easy inside another VM?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The system isn't live?

My plan was roughly:

1. Create qcow2 volume
2. Create partitions/LUKS/PV/LVs in qcow2 volume
3. dd original LVs to new LVs in loop mounted qcow2 volume?

Step 2/3 maybe being most easy inside another VM?

That's pretty much what snapshots, scp, and dd means. I'd probably use guestmount on the qcow volume instead of doing it inside a VM, though.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bob Morales posted:

Have you tried playing around with settings like this link: http://blog.andreas-haerter.com/2011/07/18/tune-improve-fedora-fonts-typeface-ubuntu-like-sharp-fonts

Not sure if that stuff applies anymore.
I haven't. I'll read that and think about mucking with some of those settings, though. Thanks.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Firefox uses the standard font stack as the rest of the system — Pango/Cairo/FontConfig/FreeType, etc. Chrome uses its own Skia-based renderer. Does this happen with other desktop programs, if you can somehow get them to display red text?

Well:

The top line is a super-imposition of something in Google Documents in Firefox, using Arial 12. Then there's the python script with #FF0000 as the text color and #FFFFFF as the background, set to 'font="Arial 12"'. In short, looks fine to my eyes in the little Gtk window, bad in Google Docs.

I've tried a couple other fonts, too, and it's not just Arial, anyway. I tried taking gnome-terminal and making the text be bold red on a white background, and it looked fine. I don't know what the gently caress.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Report a bug to your distribution.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Is there a good, lean, CrunchBang-like openbox distro that doesn't come with busybox by default? I have an older laptop I want to run Linux on as a secondary tinkering/development machine [i.e. I'd mainly have a minimal desktop, web browser and a lot of terminal sessions]. I don't have any real preference whether it's RPM or DPKG based. [Or I guess some other package manager - mainly I'd like to be able to pull down whatever APIs/tools/etc I might need pretty quickly]. Busybox is really cool for what it is, but I'd rather have a more full-featured set of the standard GNU tools [I was honestly a little surprised that 'lsof' wasn't part of Busybox].

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 25, 2013

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

DrankSinatra posted:

Is there a good, lean, CrunchBang-like openbox distro that doesn't come with busybox by default? I have an older laptop I want to run Linux on as a secondary tinkering/development machine [i.e. I'd mainly have a minimal desktop, web browser and a lot of terminal sessions]. I don't have any real preference whether it's RPM or DPKG based. [Or I guess some other package manager - mainly I'd like to be able to pull down whatever APIs/tools/etc I might need pretty quickly]. Busybox is really cool for what it is, but I'd rather have a more full-featured set of the standard GNU tools [I was honestly a little surprised that 'lsof' wasn't part of Busybox].

Lubuntu?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

evol262 posted:

That's pretty much what snapshots, scp, and dd means. I'd probably use guestmount on the qcow volume instead of doing it inside a VM, though.

It isn't working :/.

I created a qcow2 volume and attached it to a VM. Inside the VM, I partitioned (and set bootable flag) with fdisk. I got LUKS setup with the same id, made the PVs/VGs/LVs inside with exact same names, and then dd'd the original volumes into the new ones in the qcow2. I was able to mount each new volume afterward without issue.

I checked the grub config and fstab to verify UUIDs were all still matching, etc. and then attached it to a new VM in Virt Manager (lazy).

When I kick the VM it just sits at "Booting from Hard Disk...". The /var/log/libvirt/qemu log just shows standard output for starting and stopping the VM.

It occurred to me to change the device type to IDE (tried SATA as well) from virtio as the machine is expecting sda devices instead of vda, but other than that, I got nothing. I even tried with selinux not enforcing :o

Any ideas? There must be something obvious I am missing...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last time I did something similar I had to do a grub install. (boot a rescue disk, mount and chroot into your root partition etc. .)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

spankmeister posted:

Last time I did something similar I had to do a grub install. (boot a rescue disk, mount and chroot into your root partition etc. .)

Ah, that did it!

Now it kernel panics :/. Sigh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Ah, that did it!

Now it kernel panics :/. Sigh.

Lemme guess, cant find the volume group? Rebuild your initrd. (google how, you need to mount bind some devices before chrooting)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is probably a long shot, but...

Say I want to upload an image on website #1 to website #2. On Windows in the various browsers you can right click > copy location the image, and then when the upload form on website #2 opens the system file selection dialog box, you can paste the url of the image into the file name text box and Windows will do whatever magic to download the file from website #1 and upload it to website #2.

On Ubuntu 12.10, there is no file name input text box on the Unity file selection dialog to even try this on.

Any way to do this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This is probably a long shot, but...

Say I want to upload an image on website #1 to website #2. On Windows in the various browsers you can right click > copy location the image, and then when the upload form on website #2 opens the system file selection dialog box, you can paste the url of the image into the file name text box and Windows will do whatever magic to download the file from website #1 and upload it to website #2.

On Ubuntu 12.10, there is no file name input text box on the Unity file selection dialog to even try this on.

Any way to do this?
You can get the file name input box back with ctrl-l and you can open urls this way in most programs but it doesn't look like it works in chrome or firefox in a file upload form. This is a browser issue I guess, although I don't know exactly what magic happens when you enter a url, but it probably requires that the application be able to handle urls via GIO which chrome and firefox don't, not being developed by people who are especially enthusiastic about gnome.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 26, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

spankmeister posted:

Lemme guess, cant find the volume group? Rebuild your initrd. (google how, you need to mount bind some devices before chrooting)

Yeah, that was obvious when I turned off quiet...

I think where it really got stuck was the LUKS UUID. The LUKS volume was named the same as the original UUID, so I gave the new one the same name. It took me a while to realize that, of course, the UUID of the new LUKS volume was different. So the grub and crypttab references to it were wrong.

It was a nice crash course in LUKS :).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

You can get the file name input box back with ctrl-l and you can open urls this way in most programs but it doesn't look like it works in chrome or firefox in a file upload form. This is a browser issue I guess, although I don't know exactly what magic happens when you enter a url, but it probably requires that the application be able to handle urls via GIO which chrome and firefox don't, not being developed by people who are especially enthusiastic about gnome.

GtkFileDialog is what's used by Firefox. It intentionally doesn't use GIO URLs by default. You have to explicitly enable that behavior with gtk_file_chooser_set_local_only (dialog, FALSE);. There's a bug around for Firefox somewhere, but they say they want to use the rest of their own infrastructure, so that all Firefox URL fetcher config options and such are applied.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been working with a vendor product that creates lots of files. We're talking tens of millions in a single directory, potentially more than a billion over a tree.

I've experimented with their product on Windows and NTFS surprisingly deals with it fairly well, once you tweak some settings. The problem is NTFS has a hard limit of ~4.2 billion files per volume, which this solution could realistically hit.

They do have a linux version, so I'm trying to find information on various linux filesystems to see if they would handle this directory structure better. Does anyone know a page that gives a good overview of linux filesystems, and specifically what their hard limits are? Is there a specific filesystem that jumps out as the obvious one to use?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chuu posted:

I've been working with a vendor product that creates lots of files. We're talking tens of millions in a single directory, potentially more than a billion over a tree.

I've experimented with their product on Windows and NTFS surprisingly deals with it fairly well, once you tweak some settings. The problem is NTFS has a hard limit of ~4.2 billion files per volume, which this solution could realistically hit.

They do have a linux version, so I'm trying to find information on various linux filesystems to see if they would handle this directory structure better. Does anyone know a page that gives a good overview of linux filesystems, and specifically what their hard limits are? Is there a specific filesystem that jumps out as the obvious one to use?

A billion?

http://www.olark.com/spw/2011/08/you-can-list-a-directory-with-8-million-files-but-not-with-ls/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Chuu posted:

Ask the vendor why they don't use a database?

The wikipedia pages for filesystems includes things like file number limits. A cursory look shows that ext4 handles up to 232, ZFS goes up to 248, and btrfs up to 264. As always you should really test this out yourself, creat a simple script to spam out files in a structure not unlike that application until the FS starts throwing errors.