Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DontAskKant posted:

I don't know, high blood pressure is also a screener question. Like high blood pressure, diabetes shows weakness and impurity of body, it shows frailty. Bad qualities for a teacher, what if you need to visit a doctor, that would take a sick day if you visited a real doctor unless she is evening hagwon. There are lots of things Koreans suffer from/deal with that are deal breakers for foreigners. I myself have never ever been sick or seen a bruise.

Yeah but might as well try, the outcome is the same if you don't try, not teaching in Korea.

Worst case scenario just go to Thailand. They take anyone.

Edit: but you're right. I got a very stern talking to about getting my chronic sinusitis under control. Because it might effect my teacher voice... My boss took me to a doctor during lunch that day.

Wouldn't be a loving problem if the air was like... 50% actual air...

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

So uh, yeah, who's ready for a looooot more GIs in the Seoul area?

Pshht, you're crazy, we've been trying to pull out of Korea for years and they won't let us go. The only thing that'll get more of us here is all out war. Especially in Seoul, maybe down in Gunsan or Osan/Pyeongtaek but not up north.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

Wouldn't be a loving problem if the air was like... 50% actual air...

Hey be glad you live here. Beijing's pollution reading was 755 on a scale of 0 to 500.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/15/169422960/beijings-pollution-seen-from-space-in-before-and-after-photos

I like that Ulsan has all these gigantic factories but is still one of the least polluted spots in Korea. I don't remember ever seeing smog here. Worst we get is when the wind is blowing the wrong way and the distinct smell of farts wafts over from the chemical manufacturing complex.

Also thank you to whoever changed my title. I have been weeping Chilsung Cider all night. I know it was one of you assholes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So Nullscan, you'll tell us when to get the gently caress out right? We need a codeword.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The codeword is anime

Is there a way to register for a DMZ tour online? It seems like they're all by phone. I'm alright with Skype calling them but it's a bit of a bother with the time difference, I'm in the USA at the moment.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The codeword is anime

Is there a way to register for a DMZ tour online? It seems like they're all by phone. I'm alright with Skype calling them but it's a bit of a bother with the time difference, I'm in the USA at the moment.

The USO lets you do it by email.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I got a wave of nostalgia and suddenly I want to hear the story about bee stings on your wang FOR STAMINA again. Who was it?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I was at Diaso looking for wrapping paper and came across this newspaper themed giftwrap

Happy Birthday Anyang! Don't become incredibly depressed because your gift is a notebook and pencils! God forbid if you read the giftwrap.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I want to wrap all my gifts in suicide paper now.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I want to wrap all my gifts in suicide paper now.

I made a suit out of it and no one noticed.

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
New threads, new introductions.

I've been in Korea for 4 years now and I've been a goon lurker for almost all of those years. Only last year did I finally give Lowtax my :10bux: , but I have always enjoyed perusing, read lurking, The Korea Megathread. In fact, it was the tax information in the OP of IV that finally convinced me to officially become a goon. Goons are great! So, TY for this amazing thread. I look forward to following the new one in more detail and meeting some of you delightful goons(once it gets warmer).

I am a teacher at a private elementary school in Jung-gu, Seoul, so feel free to ask me any questions as they come up or if there is anything else you want to know.
My biggest hobbies out here are swimming and gaming. Currently, I am playing a lot of Planetside 2 with [GOON] I swim at a local department store swimming pool, which is actually pretty nice.

Well, I've put all my info into the Kakao and the gamer Google docs. Anything else I should do?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are there a decent number of PS Goons on in our timezone? I've been meaning to play but haven't gotten around to it.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I created a Vanu group on Briggs that needs rebooting .

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there a decent number of PS Goons on in our timezone? I've been meaning to play but haven't gotten around to it.

Hmmm, there are about 12-24 on during our KST prime time(5pm-10pm). This is on Mattherson, which is a US East coast server. I've not played on Briggs, the AU server, because I actually ping the same to US East/West coast servers as I do to the AU server. Apparently, the Ausie server is actually located in San Diego. If you want to play Planetside, I would recommend [GOON] on Mattherson, because the size of the goon outfits on other servers are about 12-24 goons, even during their respective timezone's prime time. [GOON] has a lot of people coming from other servers to play with us simply because [GOON] is the biggest.

12-24 people is about two squads which is enough to get things done. As you play more, you can learn where your smaller squad needs to go to get into the large fights. If you get on at 8am-2pm KST, you will be playing with about 50-100 goons, which is about 3-4 platoons. This is enough to actually create large engagements and make pubbies' lives miserable :D

e Oh yeah, one thing about [GOON] is that they are New Conglomerate. So, you need to want to play that faction. There is a huge Vanu group in EU, but I get terrible pings to those servers, which are in The Netherlands.

SolidMumu fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 27, 2013

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I used to play Vanu on Briggs but now that I have Dark Souls no other video game matters.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So Kant and I are at the Hong Kong airport.

I went to a pretty good Cantonese place at terminal. I had some very good beef and rice with a peppercorn sauce for less than :10bux:. There were seven or eight Koreans there eating Shin Ramen and checking Kakao.

He went to a cafe. Just as he was getting to the front of the orderly, peaceful line a gaggle of about ten Koreans crashed the counter and all shouted their orders over each other.

We haven't even left Hong Kong yet. :smith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Toussaint Louverture posted:

So Kant and I are at the Hong Kong airport.

I went to a pretty good Cantonese place at terminal. I had some very good beef and rice with a peppercorn sauce for less than :10bux:. There were seven or eight Koreans there eating Shin Ramen and checking Kakao.

He went to a cafe. Just as he was getting to the front of the orderly, peaceful line a gaggle of about ten Koreans crashed the counter and all shouted their orders over each other.

We haven't even left Hong Kong yet. :smith:

Sorry I didnt come meet you guys on Sat/Sun - loads of stuff came up so I was totally swamped :smith:

Still - was a nice few hours in the pub anyway!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Guys, I don't want to leave Bohol. I was able to have real pulled pork and burritos with friendly locals. A whole bunch of Koreans were on the boat here, but I think they are all hiding. Cebu was way safer than I imagined, I even went to the slums for lechon, and had a conversation about what countries tourists are the easiest and hardest to rob. The hardest are British tourist, Koreans are the easiest . I hope Korea doesn't make me start to keep my guard down.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I left my jacket and phone behind at a room bar, thing is I don't remember exactly where this bar is besides the general location. I always seem to find it when I'm drunk though (I think it's because I'm more confident in opening random doors I find.)

I spent hours walking into every building in the area and kinda looking around, but no luck finding this bar. You think they'll hold onto it until next Friday when I can explore again after a few drinks?

Although, sometime after that bar I showed up at another bar freaked out saying some dude was following me. I only vaguely remember this, so who knows. Maybe I was just drunk, but maybe something bad happened wherever I left my jacket. If that's the case maybe I don't wanna show up wherever that was.

At least it was just a cheap lg Prada. I can just buy a new phone. But the jacket was really nice :/

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Have you tried having your co worker call/text your phone? Two of my GI hood rats had success with that.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

How common are gyms? It's super important to me that I live fairly close to a gym with free weights.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I once left my Kindle in a random bar in Ansan. My friends managed to pick it up 3 days later. I think if the place is reputable you'll be okay. It would help if you called the bar as soon as possible. I mean, while you may not remember it's location, perhaps someone in your clique does?

Dantheman, free weights are tricky in Korea. As of 2012 there's only 2 gyms that have them. One gym is located in Lotte World, the other is at some park in Daegu. Koreans view free weights as a novelty and aren't likely to ever use them.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 28, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Dantheman, free weights are tricky in Korea. As of 2012 there's only 2 gyms that have them. One gym is located in Lotte World, the other is at some park in Daegu. Koreans view free weights as a novelty and aren't likely to ever use them.

I've been to three gyms that have free weights. Out of 4.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

I once left my Kindle in a random bar in Ansan. My friends managed to pick it up 3 days later. I think if the place is reputable you'll be okay. It would help if you called the bar as soon as possible. I mean, while you may not remember it's location, perhaps someone in your clique does?

Every gym I've been to here has a full set of free weights. Only 2 is kind of a ridiculous claim.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

Every gym I've been to here has a full set of free weights. Only 2 is kind of a ridiculous claim.

Well, you see, to koreans free weights are mysterious and filled with danger. "What could these oddly shaped rocks be used for?" They ponder with their lift-envy riddled minds. We need swole missionaries to educate this land of darkness and ignorance with the light of Maximum Gains. Furthermore,

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 28, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/edu/3574756126.html
Well.

Is this a joke? Or the best job ever?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

How common are gyms? It's super important to me that I live fairly close to a gym with free weights.

I live in a very small town and we have two gyms, both with free weights. One is clearly superior, but you could make due in the other. Unless you are literally on a farm plot, you'll be fine.
Be prepared to see some of the most outrageously ridiculous techniques, routines, and workout outfits you've ever seen. It's awesome.

Gildiss posted:

Well, you see, to koreans free weights are mysterious and filled with danger. "What could these oddly shaped rocks be used for?" They ponder with their lift-envy riddled minds. We need swole missionaries to educate this land of darkness and ignorance with the light of Maximum Gains. Furthermore,

Up until very recently I used to be the biggest/strongest dude in my gym, which isn't particularly impressive because
a) you've seen how I look irl
b) my town's population consists of myself and perpetually drunk farmers
but as of two weeks ago this INCREDIBLY MASSIVE MAN starting going to my gym, and we can hack together enough Korean and English for him to give me form tips and we can spot each other properly and and and
I have a gym bro~ :3:

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 28, 2013

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Brb applying right now. Should I get referance letters from my one night stands?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
That job sounds like a lot of work.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

tirinal posted:

That job sounds like a lot of work.

Maybe, but 110k for taking anal? You get a quarter of that at best working public school for effectively the same thing.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So to take it up the rear end you'll get paid $10,000+ a month? Jesus, hagwons have nothing on this.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm am sitting here watching two Filipinas teasing the poo poo out out of this old Korean dude. He has no idea what they are saying. First one girl told him she was a virgin, but she can't sleep with Koreans . Second girl then says that all Korean men are small, and starts calling him tiny. Why they did this in English , I have no idea. This is the third place I've watched Filipinos' loving with a Korean. Either I'm lucky for the entertainment, or Filipinos do not like Koreans very much.

e. all the university students use English, so I guess that's why they were using it.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 28, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Classy dames.

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001

Maxsmart posted:

I'm am sitting here watching two Filipinas teasing the poo poo out out of this old Korean dude. He has no idea what they are saying. First one girl told him she was a virgin, but she can't sleep with Koreans . Second girl then says that all Korean men are small, and starts calling him tiny. Why they did this in English , I have no idea. This is the third place I've watched Filipinos' loving with a Korean. Either I'm lucky for the entertainment, or Filipinos do not like Koreans very much.

e. all the university students use English, so I guess that's why they were using it.

They don't, because Korean men have a horrible habit of going to the Philippines to sex tourist it up, not use a condom and then knocking up pinoy women and then totally ignoring them and the progeny of their affair. It's a pretty controversial thing. Last thing I read, there was something like, 10,000 or of these half-Korean Filipino kids running around, only to be completely ignored by the men in the future.

So yeah, I can see why they would gently caress with them.

EDIT: http://www.rjkoehler.com/2011/03/13/the-plight-of-korean-filipino-children/

Uber-Cake fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 28, 2013

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001
Double post.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I thought this was interesting given our position in this country;

"Why aren’t these men wearing condoms – especially if they are having sex with high-risk groups such as prostitutes and bar-women?"

And we're the ones who have to go through the song and dance health check that really is only checking for drugs and HIV (I say this as someone who should have failed it, my liver can't be all that great and the kakao group knows about my hospital phobia which led to near panic, a scary pulse and heroic bp my last health check. Also My contacts got ripped right before so I was practically blind for the vision check. My boss just read the vision chart for me and the nurse had a laugh.)

I get that it would be impossible and unethical for them to make citizens go through the same stuff, but it just puts it in perspective. Any HIV outbreaks in this country aren't likely to come from westerners. Health check or not.

What are the numbers for HIV+ people in Korea? Is it lower than America?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HIV is a Western affliction and does not exist in South Korea.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Hiv/aids is actually pretty rare here, something like in the low hundreds 8000 vs hundreds of thousands in the US .

Ps. Interesting fact: Korea has 0 cystic fibrosis patients. kimchi

nervana fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 28, 2013

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Hey dude good on ya for coming out. I did a bobybuilding show in America before I came out here so weight training is a big deal to me as well. What you are most likely to find is a regular supply of plates that can get you as high as you want on deadlifts and dumbells that go up to about 30kg which sucks but you can find a way to work around that. My gym has everything I need but not everything I want if that makes sense. TLDR you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Even amoung the sex tourists they are known as the worst. Cheap, abusive and no fun. I dont know how you get a worse reputation than wrinkly old europeans or mustache weilding pedos, but by god did Korea get number one position as most hated.

• Locked thread