Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I don't know that letting Bill Weasley go was a big human moment, I think it added more to show how random some of the judgements are.

They can be compassionate at times, but it is more out of convenience. They didn't have time to deal with the homeless guy so Dredd tells him to go, same with the tech guy, he was harmless but guilty, but they had to get the Ma-ma instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I thought it was Mal-Mal, and just sounded like Ma-ma because people pronouncing it got lazy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Physical posted:

I thought it was Mal-Mal, and just sounded like Ma-ma because people pronouncing it got lazy.

It's short for Madeline Madrigal.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
IMDB says it was Ma-ma, that makes me kind of disappointed. I thought they didn't want to call her "Ma-ma" because it was too on the nose that she is the mother of Peach Trees. Mal-mal sounds like a messed up version of Ma-ma and gives me an impression of "malice" and bad mothering. Didn't the tattoo say "mal-mal"?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Physical posted:

IMDB says it was Ma-ma, that makes me kind of disappointed. I thought they didn't want to call her "Ma-ma" because it was too on the nose that she is the mother of Peach Trees. Mal-mal sounds like a messed up version of Ma-ma and gives me an impression of "malice" and bad mothering. Didn't the tattoo say "mal-mal"?
Nope, Ma-Ma, confirmed elsewhere by subtitles. I can kind of see your point but the subtlety would be lost on an Anglophone audience. Dredd should probably have referred to her by her full name at the end, but it's not really important.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sylink posted:

I don't know that letting Bill Weasley go was a big human moment, I think it added more to show how random some of the judgements are.

They can be compassionate at times, but it is more out of convenience. They didn't have time to deal with the homeless guy so Dredd tells him to go, same with the tech guy, he was harmless but guilty, but they had to get the Ma-ma instead.

No it's important because the whole point is that Anderson believes she can make a difference. Beneath the control and the anger Dredd also genuinely believes that he can make a difference, which is what Anderson senses at the start. The reason the corrupt judge goes on his random spiel about how the city is a meatgrinder is because in direct contrast to Dredd he doesn't believe the judges can make a difference.

When Anderson asserts her right to dispense justice and make a real difference in people's lives that's when she passes the test because as far as Dredd is concerned that's the fundamental element of being a judge. It has nothing to do with any calculations in his head as to whether her gun counts as her 'primary weapon'.

If you really think that the lawgiver is important, then the fact that it explodes when someone with the wrong DNA tries to shoot it implies that the possibility of a Judge losing their weapon is so real that their weapons are designed with that in mind, so while a big deal it doesn't automatically make you non-Judge material.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

My copy of Dredd arrived today!

I was out until 2AM. The postman left a note to pick it up at the post office.

It's Friday.

:negative:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The most important thing to remember about Dredd is that he believes fully in the Law and believes that it is the only thing from causing Mega City 1 from turning into complete chaos.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
When I play Planetside 2 I feel like a Megacity Judge.

Just look at this

I AM THE LAW

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I get the impression that a sequel to this would do huge business. The buzz and word-of-mouth is massive. It could be a jump like from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, box office wise.

I have no idea if a sequel is planned or not, just thinking.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Something I never noticed on first viewing, when Dredd gives mama the slo mo at the end he doesn't hold her mouth or anything to make sure she inhales, instead he does the "...how do you plead?" speech and mama inhales it a second later herself.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

massive spider posted:

Something I never noticed on first viewing, when Dredd gives mama the slo mo at the end he doesn't hold her mouth or anything to make sure she inhales, instead he does the "...how do you plead?" speech and mama inhales it a second later herself.

Yeah, I didn't notice it till later as well. I just thought her silence was her 'guilty' plea, but on the most recent rewatch I caught Dredd just waiting for her to inhale, thus accepting her fate. So good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The most important thing to remember about Dredd is that he believes fully in the Law and believes that it is the only thing from causing Mega City 1 from turning into complete chaos.

Yeah in the comics he does question the whole system as part of the Democracy storyline but eventually arrives to the conclusion that it makes sense given the violent, chaotic, dangerous nature of the world.

Living in a world with block wars, ravenous crocodile aliens and mutant zombie outbreaks doesn't leave much room for a democratic system.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

etalian posted:

Living in a world with block wars, ravenous crocodile aliens and mutant zombie outbreaks doesn't leave much room for a democratic system.
Nah that's what the facists want us to think.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Supreme Allah posted:

I get the impression that a sequel to this would do huge business. The buzz and word-of-mouth is massive. It could be a jump like from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, box office wise.

In some random interview with the director, he said that if the film did well, they'd do a trilogy with a version of the Democracy story line for the sequel and Judge Death for the last one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

In some random interview with the director, he said that if the film did well, they'd do a trilogy with a version of the Democracy story line for the sequel and Judge Death for the last one.

I thought he said the 2nd one would be about the Cursed Earth and exploring where Dredd came from?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Supreme Allah posted:

Batman Begins was still a box office blockbuster that made its budget back twice, despite its sequel being more popular. Dredd didn't.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, but he also said he didn't want to do another Dredd movie himself. Which makes me lose most of my interest.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, but he also said he didn't want to do another Dredd movie himself. Which makes me lose most of my interest.

Drokk

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Batman Begins was still a box office blockbuster that made its budget back twice, despite its sequel being more popular. Dredd didn't.

Yeah, Batman Begins was successful. It was dwarved by it's sequel which made it's total domestic gross in about 4-5 days. That was the limit of the comparison.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like the sequel won't be happening, the film's costumes and props are being auctioned off on Ebay, more here.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like the sequel won't be happening, the film's costumes and props are being auctioned off on Ebay, more here.
That's really dissapointing. As a lawyer though, I'm going to have a hard time resisting the urge to bid stupid amounts of money on a judge costume.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

This was brought up earlier and is apparently just kind of standard practice for most films and has no real bearing on whether they make a sequel or not.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Not often the Dredd comic gets a mention in mainstream news, so thought I'd share - apparently the next 2000AD prog makes an allusion to Dredd's sexuality.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Resonance posted:

Not often the Dredd comic gets a mention in mainstream news, so thought I'd share - apparently the next 2000AD prog makes an allusion to Dredd's sexuality.

I've read it and while it is a story about gay rights, it makes no suggestion that Dredd has any kind of sexual interest. The premise is that there's an underground gay club where people dress up as him and pretend to arrest other guys for fun. Dredd then shows up and arrests them all for impersonating Judges.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Professor Clumsy posted:

I've read it and while it is a story about gay rights, it makes no suggestion that Dredd has any kind of sexual interest. The premise is that there's an underground gay club where people dress up as him and pretend to arrest other guys for fun. Dredd then shows up and arrests them all for impersonating Judges.

Welp, guess I better start buying 2000AD! That's loving awesome.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Professor Clumsy posted:

Hahah, that's so cool.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ersatz posted:

That's really dissapointing. As a lawyer though, I'm going to have a hard time resisting the urge to bid stupid amounts of money on a judge costume.

It certainly would be interesting to have your lawyer dressed up like Dredd.

Or to see an actual judge show up in court dressed up like Dredd.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've decided that so long as the bidding doesn't reach insane money levels, I'm going to bid on a Judge's helmet. Because LAWWWWWW.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Payndz posted:

I've decided that so long as the bidding doesn't reach insane money levels, I'm going to bid on a Judge's helmet. Because LAWWWWWW.

I wouldn't mind getting a Lawgiver, even if it doesn't actually do anything. If I don't win the auction, I might go and grab a cheap replica.

Because LAWWWWWWW. :commissar:

TheJoker138 posted:

I may also go for a helmet, but I'll probably end up more seriously bidding on something smaller like a belt.

:toughguy:

Seriously though, depending on how successful this auction is, we may end up seeing more replicas of items from 'Dredd 3D', which I think is a good thing.

Although, on a personal note, I think it would be pretty cool if someone could build a 'Dredd 3D' Lawgiver around a real pistol that still worked after the modifications. You know, for self defense. "In my house, I am the Law."

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 26, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would kill to get a Judge helmet but I just know they'll be at least $500. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I may also go for a helmet, but I'll probably end up more seriously bidding on something smaller like a belt.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I wouldn't mind getting a Lawgiver, even if it doesn't actually do anything. If I don't win the auction, I might go and grab a cheap replica.

Because LAWWWWWWW. :commissar:

Wasn't it based on a real Glock? Might be complicated to buy/sell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How much the husk of that dude's melted head?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope they sell the phosphorus-trap phonebooth.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AlternateAccount posted:

Wasn't it based on a real Glock? Might be complicated to buy/sell.

I'm sure they have a bunch of non-functional dummies used for stuntmen or other shots where the gun doesn't actually have to shoot blanks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just want that one guy's wig.
:allears:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm sure they have a bunch of non-functional dummies used for stuntmen or other shots where the gun doesn't actually have to shoot blanks.

Yeah, unless the gun is actually firing or otherwise being manipulated, it's always a rubber dummy. Something which is becoming even more common now with digital muzzle flashes. Which looks dumb as hell.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
I would buy a belly wheel
fatties rule ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Safety Factor posted: