Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Crasscrab posted:

No. Grey squirrels are extinct in Arkansas.

I thought grey squirrels were a northern thing anyway? I never saw any when I lived in Iowa and them my family moved to Michigan and there were grey and black squirrels everywhere.

Edit: page 79 is the squirrelchat zone I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Angry Bum posted:

Conservative media is very highly coordinated and whatever topics they want to talk about on a certain day are distributed to each other constantly. You get the same exact opinions, even right down to the same buzzwords, whether it comes from radio, TV, newspapers or blogs. I think we all remember Steve Doocey from Fox and Friends reading, on camera, the RNC talking points for the day. I'd like to think there are Republican vampires out there who only work in the dead of the night preparing the talking points for the all the morning shows.

You see this a gently caress ton among conservative political cartoonists. You can bet that whatever Rush Limbaugh rants about, right down to the imagery he presents, will be put down in cartoon format by somebody like Glenn McCoy, Michael Rameriz, or Eric Allie. It's like clockwork.

Miltank posted:

I thought grey squirrels were a northern thing anyway? I never saw any when I lived in Iowa and them my family moved to Michigan and there were grey and black squirrels everywhere.

Edit: page 79 is the squirrelchat zone I guess.

It's more of an Eastern/Midwest thing.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You can watch talking points percolate from some elected official, to drudge, to Limbaugh, and then within 24 hours people are posting screeds on facebook using the exact same language. It's actually kind of unsettling because I've never seen that kind of coordination among the "liberal" branches of the media/blogosphere. Though maybe hysterical dailyKOS/huffpo forwards are the Democrat equivalent?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think the real question is, what percentage of self-identifying Democrats watch MSNBC, and what percentage of self-identifying Republicans watch Fox News? I may be surprised, but I think I could guess the outcome.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Most buzzwords circle back to Ace of Spades, Breitbart, or Rush 99% of the time. I can tell I'm talking to an AoS fan just by their jargon. It's another reason I call them Stalinists. The mannerisms and their method of talking and saying big words but not actually speaking mirrors the type of rhetoric you read/hear in old rear end Soviet announcements.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah and then there's this guy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

snorch posted:

Yeah and then there's this guy.

Alan Grayson :swoon:

Man I hope he gets back in Congress.

bmw9983
Jul 2, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

He did? He ran in a newly drawn district and won by a decent amount. He is a current member of the House of Representatives.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I'm in the heart of the third world and even I know what's going on in a state I've never visited.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I have some good news for those who don't like whatever relevance Sarah Palin has left via her Fox News gig:

Brian Stelter posted:

Sarah Palin's Fox News contract is up, and it's not being extended, Real Clear Politics says: http://tinyurl.com/aglj48t No confirmation yet.

Update: Fox spokeswoman confirms that it's "parted ways" with Sarah Palin. Details to come.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Vertical Lime posted:

I have some good news for those who don't like whatever relevance Sarah Palin has left via her Fox News gig:

She should try to jump ship to Food Network in light of her working on a fitness book. She could cook up her moose chilli recipes for an audience.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cheapsteaks posted:

She should try to jump ship to Food Network in light of her working on a fitness book. She could cook up her moose chilli recipes for an audience.
As if the world hadn't suffered enough from Paula Deen.

"Sarah Palin - the secret ingredient is CRAZY~" :911:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hilarious backfire on Hannity this afternoon. He was trying to gin up some outrage over Obama's "unconstitutional" actions since some court ruled that his recess appointments back in 2011 were, apparently, unconstitutional. So he has Juan Williams and Ann Coulter on to comment (though it seems he didn't brief them on the topic), who both take the position that it was the senate adjourning without going into recess to prevent such a thing that was the hosed up part. Listening to him struggle to create outrage on it with even Coulter against him was pretty great, I must admit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ReidRansom posted:

Hilarious backfire on Hannity this afternoon. He was trying to gin up some outrage over Obama's "unconstitutional" actions since some court ruled that his recess appointments back in 2011 were, apparently, unconstitutional. So he has Juan Williams and Ann Coulter on to comment (though it seems he didn't brief them on the topic), who both take the position that it was the senate adjourning without going into recess to prevent such a thing that was the hosed up part. Listening to him struggle to create outrage on it with even Coulter against him was pretty great, I must admit.

What's funny is by that court's same standard, John Bolton's tenure as UN Ambassador was illegal.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Vertical Lime posted:

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this. The only time I can remember them even using her recently was on election night and at that point she looked like she had gotten hooked on coke/meth/diet pills or something.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_r8lQgG1g

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting this from the China thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUkiaDS3g4

The Chinese are copying our casually hateful, internet-expression circlejerk, perception management mass media :bahgawd:

Fandyien posted:

You can watch talking points percolate from some elected official, to drudge, to Limbaugh, and then within 24 hours people are posting screeds on facebook using the exact same language.

:911: Perception Management :china:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

McDowell posted:

Crossposting this from the China thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUkiaDS3g4

The Chinese are copying our casually hateful, internet-expression circlejerk, perception management mass media :bahgawd:

:911: Perception Management :china:

Ahahahahaha, bloviating, jowly, chubby guy, attractive female co-anchor who is there to agree with his pronouncements. Regional anger at the people of Hong Kong for not being Chinese enough.

It's literally Chinese FOX :allears:

E: And inane Vox Populi segments featuring the equivalent of twitter commentary from anonymous assholes! How far you've come China.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 26, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Unsurprisingly, state propaganda news is literally just "Fox News" except you can be jailed for disagreeing with them.

Time-wasting deliberately confusing and prattling tabloid news TV to distract and confuse the masses lest they figure out just how much you're ratfucking them? Of course!

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 26, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I listened to Herman Cain today and I want to report that it met all of my hilarity expectations. He's actually fun to listen to because he's just a misguided guy who likes to speak in ridiculous platitudes, not a rhetorically poisonous piece of poo poo deliberately lying to people like nearly all of the other conservative commentators. Mike Huckabee is also fun in a country bumpkin sort of way. He seems to like talking about Jesus way more than he likes talking about anything else. Huckabee and Cain aren't evil, they're just idiots.

I also listened to Andrea Tantaros for the second or third time today, who you may recognize from this disgusting misogynistic garbage image macro.

And holy god it's the worst thing ever. Her show replaced Laura Ingraham time slot, and while I can't stand Ingraham, at least she's an intelligent (sounding) person who actually understands the things she is talking about and the workings of the government. Tantaros got into broadcasting as FoxNews eye candy and someone somewhere thought the conservative base would tune in to listen to her speak in a medium where they can't ogle her in a low-cut top. I will be loving amazed if her show makes it through the year because it's loving horrendous.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The funny thing about that stupid picture is Maddow has or used to have anyway, maybe she still does, a regular segment on her show where she shows you how to properly make cocktails.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Fortunately, Christwire is satire.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SiriusXM just recently got rid of Fox News Talk. I listened to this station every week day so I could argue with my car radio. Most of the hosts were generally not disturbing like hannity or rush (with exception of Brian kilmeade who was more irritating than anyone else) so I could listen to them without shouting.

I think I am going through withdrawals because I actually miss it.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
I listened to Mark Levin's show for the first time last night as he spat vitriol about Obama's ~UNCONSTITUTIONAL~ Labor relations appointments.

Jesus, whoever of you said that he sounds like an enraged Master Shake was spot-on. Hilarious.

Galkaflower
Feb 12, 2010

You know nothing, Jon Toews.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

SiriusXM just recently got rid of Fox News Talk. I listened to this station every week day so I could argue with my car radio. Most of the hosts were generally not disturbing like hannity or rush (with exception of Brian kilmeade who was more irritating than anyone else) so I could listen to them without shouting.

I find myself arguing with POTUS on 124 more often than not.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

watt par posted:

The funny thing about that stupid picture is Maddow has or used to have anyway, maybe she still does, a regular segment on her show where she shows you how to properly make cocktails.

I remember seeing a cocktail segment but I thought that was a one time thing. If this was regular I missed it in the past.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I listened to Herman Cain today and I want to report that it met all of my hilarity expectations. He's actually fun to listen to because he's just a misguided guy who likes to speak in ridiculous platitudes, not a rhetorically poisonous piece of poo poo deliberately lying to people like nearly all of the other conservative commentators. Mike Huckabee is also fun in a country bumpkin sort of way. He seems to like talking about Jesus way more than he likes talking about anything else. Huckabee and Cain aren't evil, they're just idiots.

I think Cain's just a guy who has simply fallen for GOP politics hook line and sinker, but is a decent guy over all. Contrast with Palin who's fallen for it hook line and sinker and isn't a decent person at the core of it.

Every time I see Cain on a non political show or on the Colbert Report I stop because he's great in front of a camera.

I also kinda like Huckabee in the same way that you described. He's a bit more poisonous, but in that "I just believe this stupid poo poo" kinda way and not a "how do I get on top of this pyramid scheme" kinda way.

Basically if I saw either in person I'd like to stop and talk with them. Definitely not Gingrich or anyone else.

If O'Reilly would stick to radio I'd feel the same about him, but he throws all that good will out on his TV show.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I also kinda like Huckabee in the same way that you described. He's a bit more poisonous, but in that "I just believe this stupid poo poo" kinda way and not a "how do I get on top of this pyramid scheme" kinda way.

I use to be the same way. When Huckabee first came on the scene in 2008, yeah I hated just about all of his positions, but he seemed like a decent guy overall. He was pleasant, calm didn't seem overly offensive, hell even went on The Daily Show.

And with that being said, gently caress Mike Huckabee. He is a piece of poo poo and he is the worst kind specifically because he's likeable on the surface. He gets you to like him. Hannity and such, they don't want you to like them, they just want you to be angry and to agree with them,.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

My Face When posted:

I remember seeing a cocktail segment but I thought that was a one time thing. If this was regular I missed it in the past.

I think she still makes cocktails in the press-thingy get-together they do every year at the White House.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

mastervj posted:

I think she still makes cocktails in the press-thingy get-together they do every year at the White House.

She usually serves as the bartender when NBC News has their after-parties at the Correspondence dinners. And yes, she still does segments on cocktails, usually it's on Fridays during the last block when it's close to some holiday. So it's often some holiday themed drink.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone know whether Ambassador Stevens was a Democrat or Republican?

One of the dumbest things about this Benghazi farce is the constant implication that the Republicans in congress (and the media) cared more about an Obama administration official than Obama (or Hillary) himself. I mean, sure you can have members of the other party in your administration but still.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Crasscrab posted:

And here I was thinking Rand Paul wouldn't be as hilarious as his father! :allears:

All this "SANDY HOOK WAS A FALSE FLAG ATTACK!" thing is really making me sick. What kind of hosed up person makes an assertion that children are somehow more resilient to gunshot wounds than adults? The gently caress is wrong with these people?

You know the article he quoted was fake, right?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Well at least there's still Patriot talk

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Beamed posted:

You know the article he quoted was fake, right?

I do now. :(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The Tea Party facebook page currently has a photo of the Benghazi victims (including Vilerat) to prove their crazy "THE GUBERMENT IS LYING TO US" nonsense.

So that's a thing. An infuriating thing. I wanted to tell them to gently caress off, but I got banned from posting for taunting them a long time ago.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Good Citizen posted:

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this. The only time I can remember them even using her recently was on election night and at that point she looked like she had gotten hooked on coke/meth/diet pills or something.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_r8lQgG1g
"Barack Obama has been one to believe"

:morewordssoundssmarterusemorewordsmorewordssoundssmarterusemorewords:

God her speech patterns make me insane. She's so loving banal, knows nothing and just keeps talking with absolutely no economy of words. Those ones over there who are the ones who are hoping with all their might that they will find a way to do that thing which is the thing which they are wanting to@#R@

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

She's a copycat of George W Bush - forced folksy bullshit and rambling on simpleminded nonsense to sound like a 'common folk.'

It's all a really bad act. George W is a Connecticut yankee college boy who had no southern accent 'till he forced one and Palin was a big-city TV news anchor and model who's forcing a "DONCHA KNOW DERE" northern house-mom accent.

Of course they're both such reprehensible dumbshits that now the forced fake bad-act voice pattern has become their 'default' voice.

Say what you will about Obama; at least he talks like the college scholar he is, and doesn't try to hide it behind folksy-sounding bullshit accents and rambling.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 27, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's not really a good comparison. Bush is a New England WASP blueblood through and through, but Palin genuinely is a provincial backwoods rube. Her word salad ramblings are an honest picture of her internal thought processes. I grew up around enough of them and know plenty still. Her ignorance is the real deal.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Tea Party facebook page currently has a photo of the Benghazi victims (including Vilerat) to prove their crazy "THE GUBERMENT IS LYING TO US" nonsense.

So that's a thing. An infuriating thing. I wanted to tell them to gently caress off, but I got banned from posting for taunting them a long time ago.

No worries, I did it for you. It was very cathartic.

Spacedad posted:

She's a copycat of George W Bush - forced folksy bullshit and rambling on simpleminded nonsense to sound like a 'common folk.'

It's all a really bad act. George W is a Connecticut yankee college boy who had no southern accent 'till he forced one and Palin was a big-city TV news anchor and model who's forcing a "DONCHA KNOW DERE" northern house-mom accent.

Of course they're both such reprehensible dumbshits that now the forced fake bad-act voice pattern has become their 'default' voice.

Say what you will about Obama; at least he talks like the college scholar he is, and doesn't try to hide it behind folksy-sounding bullshit accents and rambling.

I really don't think Sarah Palin is smart enough to fake that. She might subconsciously play it up, but I don't think it's intentional.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I really don't think Sarah Palin is smart enough to fake that. She might subconsciously play it up, but I don't think it's intentional.

She's definitely smart enough to fake it - she does have a politically savvy side to her. She seems to have progressively gotten sloppier over the years though, and her ability to actually govern is pretty questionable. She can be very petty and vindictive, according to people who know her - which to me shows that the stuff she puts on really is an act. People who are genuine and up-front about who they are don't perpetuate petty misery "behind the scenes" on others who they feel slighted by.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spacedad posted:

She's definitely smart enough to fake it - she does have a politically savvy side to her. She seems to have progressively gotten sloppier over the years though, and her ability to actually govern is pretty questionable.

Yeah but has that happened as a concerted effort to become more popular or has it been a result of positive feedback to her initial national exposure playing up her folksiness leading to a sort of positive feedback loop that makes her progressively dopier the more wealthy and famous she becomes and more wealthy and famous the dopier she becomes? She seems to have peaked out, though, and will probably be content to retire from the spotlight and live off of her millions of dollars. I'd love to see her run in a primary, though.

Everyone should watch that documentary that guy did that basically shows her as a bitter high school "mean girl" who managed to get into politics by having a high profile in her state and being pretty. Some of the petty, borderline illegal poo poo she did while in office and got away with is terrifying.

E: I mean her "niceness" is certainly an act, but her clueless backwoods podunk high school prom queen vibe is totally real. Stupid people are perfectly capable of being malicious. I just don't think she's playing dumb or folksy to appeal to anyone. That's just who she is.