Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Tigren posted:

Drink it. They age beautifully, but if you haven't had it fresh, what do you have to compare it to? It's not rare though, so grab another bottle if you want to age.

21st Amendment is releasing a saison in January. In cans. Can't loving wait for inexpensive canned saison.

Well, it's finally here and it's nothing to shake a stick at. I'd like to say it would make a good camping or lawn mowing beer, but it's a winter seasonal. Mild earthiness/Belgian funk, lemongrass, strangely sweet. Pretty underwhelming in general. Oh well. At least the can/box art is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

poo poo man, I really want to enjoy 21st's beer because they're brewed locally here. But I've tried everything that that've ever released (that I found) and all of it has been subpar. I've tried Fireside Chat, Hop Crisis, Bitter American, Live Free, High Hell Watermelon, Back to Black and Allies Win. I'm never going to try one of their beers again.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I like Allies :shobon:

Oh hey ORgoons, anything different with the new Ninkasi version of Allies Win The War out now?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I like Allies :shobon:

Oh hey ORgoons, anything different with the new Ninkasi version of Allies Win The War out now?

I really liked Allies last year. I had the Ninkasi version last night from a bottle and it was really disappointing. It's a strong ale brewed with dates... how can that be dull? It is. Kinda hoppy, kinda malty but not very sweet, and a little bit of dried fruit character in the background. It's like a stronger version of a boring Amber Ale.

Edit- Not boring: year-old Speedway Stout.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 25, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I really like Hell or High Watermelon, and downed it like a fish this summer when I was in Jersey. It's so goddamn refreshing. I really hope they start sending stuff down to Florida sometime soon, I really enjoyed the Brew Free or Die IPA as well. I got an interesting minty character out of it that really made it stand out.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

obi_ant posted:

poo poo man, I really want to enjoy 21st's beer because they're brewed locally here. But I've tried everything that that've ever released (that I found) and all of it has been subpar. I've tried Fireside Chat, Hop Crisis, Bitter American, Live Free, High Hell Watermelon, Back to Black and Allies Win. I'm never going to try one of their beers again.

In my opinion, there are almost a great brewery but virtually everything I've had is just fine. I have avoided the watermelon wheat because that sounds awful. I would suggest trying the Monk's Blood, it's probably my favorite of their beers and pretty darn good if you like the rich and spiced Belgian ale type of thing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I don't care if you're an airport in the Sahara. You should have a deicing system...

So instead of being in Greenville tonight, I'll be spending the night on my couch with a Speedway and maybe a 5 Golden Rings.

tzorilla
Jul 23, 2007
Long story short, I moved to Czech Republic almost one year ago, and recently I started writing a blog about my experiences here regarding beer.

If this is not kosher, let me know and I will remove the link.

http://olutsiili.blogspot.cz/?view=sidebar

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Speedway: my second experience with it. Still solid, still over-hyped. FBS is a better beer in my opinion.

5GR: I've only had last year's Bruery holiday release, which I liked quite a bit. This has a big booze heat on the front end and a ton of pineapple after. Reminds me of Surly's Syx without the extreme wood presence. Maybe another 7 years will tame it. Worth the money but not something I'd seek out again.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
A few quick notes from bumming around this week:

RJ Rocker's Impeachment - looks like super milky coffee. I'm so-so on the brewery as a whole (I want to not be turned off by their packing, but I am), but this was a good peach alcoholic drink with fizz. Would drink again.

Brewdog Paradox Isle of Arran (cask) - it was like peated coffee, but it was not bad. I'm not sure how much I could drink, though.

Lost Rhino Hop3Star - second opaque orange beer for the week, but apparently this one is a mango double IPA. I like Lost Rhino and I like this beer.

Lost Rhino Pretty in Pink - Pomegranate saison, buy it. I think Bluejacket collaborated or something, but it's funky and tart and apparently on shelves now.

(side note: heard from a co-worker that the Lost Rhino Brewery tour/restaurant is a lovely experience; I hope he's wrong)

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Local option check in. Starting of with a Flanders Fred and its awesome.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

Lost Rhino Pretty in Pink - Pomegranate saison, buy it. I think Bluejacket collaborated or something, but it's funky and tart and apparently on shelves now.

Hardywood Park was part of it, too (although i think Megan from Bluejacket was the primary brewer). had some on draft at Hardywood a few months back and really enjoyed it, but haven't opened a bottle yet.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

What It Dooski posted:

Totally forgot about this tonight since I wasn't supposed to be around.... gently caress.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

danbanana posted:

Speedway: my second experience with it. Still solid, still over-hyped. FBS is a better beer in my opinion.

5GR: I've only had last year's Bruery holiday release, which I liked quite a bit. This has a big booze heat on the front end and a ton of pineapple after. Reminds me of Surly's Syx without the extreme wood presence. Maybe another 7 years will tame it. Worth the money but not something I'd seek out again.

Over-hyped? Speedway is hardly over-hyped, let alone hyped. Well received and highly regarded doesn't mean it's hyped. It's just a really great, solid coffee stout, and most importantly available year round.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

Totally forgot about this tonight since I wasn't supposed to be around.... gently caress.

It's still early Let's Talk Beer bro. Awesome tap list here. Onto Big Hugs from half acre. Perfect mouthfeel.

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 26, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Tigren posted:

Over-hyped? Speedway is hardly over-hyped, let alone hyped. Well received and highly regarded doesn't mean it's hyped. It's just a really great, solid coffee stout, and most importantly available year round.

Not hyped?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alesmith-speedway-stout/14232/

This is one of the highest rated stouts on the planet. Seriously. In the world. Ever.

And it's not available year round to me. Or to 80% of the country.

So while I appreciate it as a quality coffee stout, it's not as good as a handful of others that are available to me, in my opinion. And the 100s and 98s it receives from national rating sites make it over-hyped because of that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

This is one of the highest rated stouts on the planet. Seriously. In the world. Ever.

And the 100s and 98s it receives from national rating sites make it over-hyped because of that.

people really liking a beer that you don't love makes it over-hyped?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I just drank a whiskey barrel aged stout from Weston, MO. The brewery is excellent as always, but odds are that the whiskey was McCormick's. Surprisingly not horrible.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

people really liking a beer that you don't love makes it over-hyped?

Isn't that the definition?

People can like whatever they want. But when enough people have expressed the opinion that this particular thing is loving aces, I- and most of the interested world- become intrigued. When that thing is finally experienced, there's only a few options: you agree with the masses, you understand the masses but disagree (where I'm at with Speedway), or you completely reject them. When I read reviews of this beer and they sell it as the next coming... I'm hopeful. I really am. But Speedway doesn't live up to the love, in my opinion (which I've made sure I've phrased every time). It's good; I can get better. That's it.

But to say it's not hyped is factually wrong. Because the biggest beer websites on the planet hype it. It's not entirely undeserved, but it doesn't- in my opinion- meet expectations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Fwiw, I agree with you. Speedway would be pretty good if it were cheaper (on the east coast). Around here it goes for 14-16 bucks. I don't know what they sell it for on the west coast.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i think your definition and application of "hype" might be factually wrong, but i'm not gonna argue with you.

VA folks, i've probably mentioned how much i've like Wolf Hills before, but i'm afraid i've finally had a mediocre beer from them- a 5% stout that just tastes like decent homebrew. i mean, i'd be happy if i made it, but it really pales in comparison to their imperial or chocolate milk stouts, which would both be regular drinkers for me if they were bottled/more commonly available. Three Brothers (Harrisonburg) is starting to show up around town, but i haven't heard anything about their stuff, and Center of the Universe, who make really solid, conventional beers, have their bottling line up and running. for those of you who make it into the Richmond area, we've got like three or four more breweries on the way and a couple more on the drawing board, so i think we've maybe got a chance at becoming a pretty sweet beer destination.

edit- meant to add that Midnight Brewery, whom i had roundly slagged after trying their initial offerings, has started producing some really good stuff. maybe not worth driving way off the beaten path for, but they've got a couple i would be glad to order a pint of at a bar.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 26, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

Fwiw, I agree with you. Speedway would be pretty good if it were cheaper (on the east coast). Around here it goes for 14-16 bucks. I don't know what they sell it for on the west coast.

I bought it for $15 at the Foodery in Philly, but everything is expensive there. I thought it was good, but I wouldn't call it overhyped. I think danbanana would be more correct saying overrated as the beer doesn't have much hype, at least not that I've seen, but it is rated very highly so I think overrated would be the correct term here. Now my opinion that Pliny the Elder is overhyped fits the word better since that beer is hyped to hell, at least on a few places I visit.

That's just my $0.02 though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

What It Dooski posted:

poo poo, I was there too. Flanders Fred was great, but I think the real star of the show was the Templeton Rye barrel Kentucky Common. Holy poo poo what an amazing beer.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

tzorilla posted:

Long story short, I moved to Czech Republic almost one year ago, and recently I started writing a blog about my experiences here regarding beer.

Normally we like people to check with a mod about posting self-aggrandizing links. I'll reserve judgment until I get a chance to read it (not on my phone). I hope you're somewhere in Moravia since Moravian beers (and wines) beat the poo poo out of their Bohemian competitors.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

poo poo, I was there too. Flanders Fred was great, but I think the real star of the show was the Templeton Rye barrel Kentucky Common. Holy poo poo what an amazing beer.

Let me know if you want a bottle, you have my e-mail.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I hadn't had anything from Riley's Brewing Company before and picked up a Vixen because the label appealed to my baser instincts. It's a relatively forgettable dark wheat ale, heavy on the dark malt flavors and almost vanishingly light on the wheat character. Not bad, but forgettable.

I also had a taste of Stone Vertical Epic 09/09/09 tonight and I think it's tasting even better than it did on 12/12/12. It's a very solid, approachable porter with good coffee notes. Tons of hazelnut when it's cold, which opens up to toffee/vanilla as the beer warms.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

tzorilla posted:

Okay I've read through most of your beer blog and will now render my arguably-sober professional opinions as to your personal worth and artistic merit.

Your opinions about Czech beer are sometimes wrong. That's okay, do not adjust your TV set. It's normal to be wrong a lot. Your ignorance of certain things - for instance, the Plato scale, which is easily looked up on literally hundreds of brewing websites - might be endearing if you weren't so obnoxious about it. Czech beers are simply the best lagers in the world and you've chosen to mostly review some of the worst ones while simultaneously ignoring several hundred years of cultural, social, and brewing history. Congratulations, your blog reads like an Ugly American parody.

If you're going to work with a language that contains diacriticals in abundance, either keep a browser page open to the corresponding alphabet page so you can copy/paste as needed or install the appropriate IME. It's okay, the Czech keyboard puts all the diacritical-containing stuff in the number row, so you don't have to relearn the whole thing. It takes maybe a week of devoted typing to get used to switching the Z and Y keys, but in the end it's not so bad.

As for what you SHOULD be drinking in the Czech Republic: where are you? If you're in Prague, get the hell to the overly-touristy U Fleků and drink several gallons of what may be the best beer available in that city. They don't bottle, they don't ship; you can only get it at U Fleků and it's worth the 25Kč Metro fare to get within a half kilometer of them (Náměstí Republiky on the yellow line unless I misremember). Failing that, drink loving Krušovice. You're right that Mušketýr is one of their best, but don't sell short their černé. Stop giving a gently caress how the Czech men look at you when you order a černé pivo at the bar; they're ridiculously good and Krušovice's is among the best. It has a checkered history (during Soviet times they sweetened the beer with NutraSweet to make it more palatable, as well as adding other weird things, all of which have been removed in recent years) which makes their current excellent beers that much tastier.

If you've somehow found your way into the Haná Valley (the Appalachians of the Czech Republic), you may wish to contemplate suicide. This would be overly dramatic, however. Look for Zubr, which is reasonably decent and cost 15 US cents per bottle (plus 20 cents deposit) last time I was there. Also the local Litovel. Their standard světlé rivals cream ales for smoothness and is one of my favorites. Whatever you do, don't let the locals give you samples of their homemade slivovice - there's a nonzero but statistically low chance it will be drinkable, and a very high probability it will taste like rocket fuel or worse.

In southern Moravia you should be reviewing wines as well because Czech wines get virtually no attention outside of Central Europe and they are absolutely spectacular. In addition, Velkopopovický Kozel is widely available in the area and far better than you give them credit for - especially the černé, which is my favorite of its style. There are relatively few local breweries south of Brno, but the wide distribution of Radegast and other perfectly acceptable mainstays keeps things from being too dire. Svijany's offerings are also available in many places and far better then you gave them credit for. I have to wonder if your samples were fresh for their beers.

So basically, stop trying so hard to be Edgy and just talk about what you're drinking. Drink more - preferably lots more. Do a little bit of reading about Czech culture, beers, and Plato. Also enjoy your time in one of my favorite parts of the world.

tzorilla
Jul 23, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Okay I've read through most of your beer blog and will now render my arguably-sober professional opinions as to your personal worth and artistic merit...

Thanks for the tips. I am in Prague currently, but I also made couple of beer-tours to other towns last summer. Also visited the Czech Beer Festival, which is a paradise for beer-lovers.

Haven't been to U Fleků yet, because it is a tourist deathtrap. Since you mentioned Krušovice, there is place called Šalanda on Národní třída which serves cheap Krušovice tank beer.

Funny thing I noticed is that Czech people are seriously proud/uppity about "Their" beer. For example, I had a guy come to set up my internet last spring. Well, after the work was done I offered him Krušovice. He almost laughed and said he is from Plzen, he won't drink that crap..

The tone of the blog is what it is, I guess I don't know how to review things seriously in English. It is supposed to be immature and shallow, I guess I succeeded in that.

I have some Polish beer in my fridge waiting for review, but I am sort of afraid, since they are really strong.

tzorilla
Jul 23, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Svijany's offerings are also available in many places and far better then you gave them credit for. I have to wonder if your samples were fresh for their beers.

This is something I need to address. The reviews I've done are bottled beers, so there is a big chance the beer is not fresh all the time. Especially when bought from supermarket instead of dedicated beer store/restaurants.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

Personally, I really liked the Perennial Vermillion, a barleywine brewed with cherrywood-smoked malt, but there wasn't a bad beer there as far as I can tell.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Last night I sampled a few really nice Ryes (another thread, yes, but Handy is amazing fwiw), then I had some Ruthless Rye and ended with a Rye on Rye. Highly recommended; would rye again.

(This was not an intentional drinking line up, otherwise I'd have had some Wookey Jack around)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Somehow my fav bottle shop in town got a case of black note and I happened to coincidentally be there upon arrival so I snagged 2 bottles. How is the 2012? Does it need any more aging?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

tzorilla posted:

Funny thing I noticed is that Czech people are seriously proud/uppity about "Their" beer. For example, I had a guy come to set up my internet last spring. Well, after the work was done I offered him Krušovice. He almost laughed and said he is from Plzen, he won't drink that crap..
Yep. Even in the Haná I'd run into people from Plzen who insisted Pilsner Urquell was the peak of Czech brewing. I don't like Pilsner Urquell. It's best not to get into an argument about beer, though - that's serious ground and can give real offense. Talk about politics instead.

quote:

The tone of the blog is what it is, I guess I don't know how to review things seriously in English. It is supposed to be immature and shallow, I guess I succeeded in that.
Honestly, if you hadn't said you were a non-native English speaker I would have assumed you were. You're using the language properly, and your intended tone comes through fine. I'm just tired of blogs aping Epic Meal Time and that kind of aggressive, sarcastic, in-your-face writing. That's a personal thing and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me.

Most importantly, I'm glad to see more attention being brought to the Czech Republic. The country is great, the people are interesting and fun to be around, and there's always another way to get drunk.

On non-Czech brewing, I tried Goose Island Mild Winter last night. It's a 4.5% rye winter ale, and I liked it quite a lot - the rye character is muted, there are light spice notes and a nice clean finish. Hooray for another credible dark session beer! Uinta's Baba is still my favorite in that category, but since it's a summer product the seasonality of Mild Winter fills a void.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Somehow my fav bottle shop in town got a case of black note and I happened to coincidentally be there upon arrival so I snagged 2 bottles. How is the 2012? Does it need any more aging?

No. It's 100% ready to go.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Black Note is a really balanced stout for being barrel aged, feel free to drink it now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is at a bar that has no televisions whatsoever:

Between that and watching the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure I don't give a poo poo about football.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Haven't had the bottled version, but both time I've had it on tap it was amazing. Quite drinkable right now, not sure if aging will make it better.

Phanatic posted:

Between that and watching the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure I don't give a poo poo about football.

Holy poo poo.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
That loving list :stare:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

crazyfish posted:

Haven't had the bottled version, but both time I've had it on tap it was amazing. Quite drinkable right now, not sure if aging will make it better.

Holy poo poo.

Best part is that it says it is for Saturday, so you don't even have to choose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Phanatic posted:

Good lord, what bar? Jackie O's makes me hope it's in or near Ohio.