Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugmonster VIII
Jan 5, 2008

i think that turtle
want to race us!
So it looks like Chris is making an announcement regarding the second cookbook situation soon, according to his twitter. Now, I'll trust him exactly as far as I can throw him (not very far, seeing as I'd have to take a plane to Portland to even pick him up off the ground) but if this turns out to be true I'll be glad to finally see him make good on this, even if it is a few years too late. At least we'll see a new Achewood SOMETHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Man, I hope he really does make good on that. Then I can give him money for all the rad stuff he's selling in his shop. And can feel better about Achewood. :unsmith:

I don't have real depression or hardcore anxiety, and I can still absolutely empathize with that kind of situation. Start Something > Anxiety > Creative Block > Avoidance. It's different when there's money involved like this (and a big group of angry customers/fans), but I imagine that only heightens the effect.

Locus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2013

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I don't even remember how long its been since the shop vanished anymore. It has to be about 2.5-3 years now or close. Achewood was in its death spiral in the summer of 2010 and the shop went away sometime before? that or was it just after?

Him actually acknowledging it by responding to someone who said straight up that he stole money is interesting. If he finally shits something out, that's a positive.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If the store reopened and took PayPal I would spend like 100 bucks there today, easily.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

say no to bats posted:

Him actually acknowledging it by responding to someone who said straight up that he stole money is interesting.

Not really. He's on the hypomanic part, and by Wednesday will be back to depression and lethargy. Possibly deleting his Twitter in the process.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

jfjnpxmy posted:

Not really. He's on the hypomanic part, and by Wednesday will be back to depression and lethargy. Possibly deleting his Twitter in the process.

He'll just bury his laptop.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

We've had sun in Portland for the last few days.

Perhaps he can finally bite through that piece of toast, metaphorically speaking.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bill Watterson of webcomics.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

We've had sun in Portland for the last few days.

Perhaps he can finally bite through that piece of toast, metaphorically speaking.

I always thought his self-insert was Teodor, based on his affectation for music, and the bizarre arc with Teodor, Nice Pete and the man with the giant schlong.

Christ that was weird.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Teodor is supposed to be the self insert. Beef is based on a guy he knew with depression. allegedly

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Bill Watterson of webcomics.

Your analogy privileges have been revoked. Please return your license to your local high school's English department for processing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Maldraedior posted:

Teodor is supposed to be the self insert. Beef is based on a guy he knew with depression. allegedly

All the characters are different aspects of Onstad's personality, which is why so many of them are passionate about food.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ray is who he (everyone) wishes he could be.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Donjolly posted:

this is such a good idea that I re-registered

there is only one ending for us

This is awesome. "gently caress Circumstances" indeed.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Johnny Aztec, what is the saddest thing?"

" Achewood thread, Achewood thread, the saddest thing is smoothly working an Achewood quote or reference into a conversation, and having no one get it"

"NOOOOOOoooooo"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

"Johnny Aztec, what is the saddest thing?"

" Achewood thread, Achewood thread, the saddest thing is smoothly working an Achewood quote or reference into a conversation, and having no one get it"

"NOOOOOOoooooo"

I bricked an Achewood reference in real life so hard once. A friend was sharing some poem he wrote (yuck) and I read the last stanza out loud at the table and then grabbed my head and went "OHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" pretty loudly and just got horrified stares.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I bricked an Achewood reference in real life so hard once. A friend was sharing some poem he wrote (yuck) and I read the last stanza out loud at the table and then grabbed my head and went "OHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" pretty loudly and just got horrified stares.

The thing to do in this case would've been to share a poem of your own, in this case an emotional piece entitled "Anger's Pilgrim"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

There ain't no comic this good anymore /
This comic is basically like treasure

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Darthemed posted:

There ain't no comic this good anymore /
This comic is basically like treasure

Between the text ending, comic ending, and this post,

close the thread. And delete this post.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
the best vine so far: http://vine.co/v/b1r37izzqhj

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I take back my previous thinking that vine is loving stupid for stupid people who can't make an animated .gif

Sorta.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Every once in a while, the first four panels of this drat comic flits through my brain and I start giggling like an idiot. Drabble.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02122004

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

For me it's the entirety of this one.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12292004

Although it is only now, after about seven years, that I realise the sound effect in the comic is "scuffle" and not "scuttle". The alt text deceives!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Scuffle" seems like a better sound effect, even though "scuttling" is the action that is really going on at the time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
For me it will always be panel 8 of

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03052009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every once in a while I get the urge to open a picture of mount Everest and a picture of a motorcycle and you know how it goes

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"You can do whatever you want to in life" and "I got the chessboard out and you over there playin' whack-a-mole" appear far too often in my every day conversation.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The pantsless Santa dancing to "Twist and Shout" cracks me up everytime.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Phy posted:

Every once in a while I get the urge to open a picture of mount Everest and a picture of a motorcycle and you know how it goes

At a previous job, I had a dual-monitor setup. I remotely viewed/controlled other people's desktops fairly frequently, so I did the only reasonable thing and put a little "RAY" label on top of my right-hand monitor. It stayed there for a couple of years. Then I got laid off due to budget cuts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"You can do whatever you want to in life"

I love that strip so, so much.

However I also find Man, Philippe really hosed up this time. Cornelius completely hates rap popping into my head fairly frequently, especially when somebody says or does something foolish.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

My name is Scrambles
and I'm lost!

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 8, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

I do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darthemed posted:

My name is Scrambles
and I'm lost!

Onstad's commentary on this strip in the Dark Horse Collection book is even more depressing! From memory it's something along the lines of,"People often ask me what happened to Scrambles. I don't know and I don't care."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"You can do whatever you want to in life"

If it weren't for the possibility of HR complaints, I would always have this strip printed out and framed and hung in every office I occupy for now and forever. It is my motivational poster.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fister Roboto posted:

If it weren't for the possibility of HR complaints, I would always have this strip printed out and framed and hung in every office I occupy for now and forever. It is my motivational poster.

Had a discussion with friends about Comic Sans the other day and I brought up the strip about the son of a bitch who invented it.

I've often thought about bringing in my framed copy of that into work, but have similar qualms that somebody would be sad. (Probably somebody who uses it in their e-mail.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

Had a discussion with friends about Comic Sans the other day and I brought up the strip about the son of a bitch who invented it.

I've often thought about bringing in my framed copy of that into work, but have similar qualms that somebody would be sad. (Probably somebody who uses it in their e-mail.)
Well... they should be sad. They're using Comic Sans, after all.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I need to get with some newbie smokers so I can do this one day:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Is there an achewood panel scrambler akin to the Garfield one out there? Seems like it could a lot of fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is that guy, by the way. He also invented Trebuchet MS but nobody ever talks about that.

Not even him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

It has been my MS Lync quote at the last two jobs I've had, for maybe 4 years. I don't provide the context of the comic so I'm sure some people think its just whatever, but it makes me happy.