Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to upload some sound files to memrise, a language learning webpage. They recommend using audacity and an mp3 exporter plugin which I've looked at, but it seems a little complex.

What I'd like to do is read a list of words and then be able to split the recoding into the individual words and export them as MP3s.

Can anyone recommend some user friendly software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

I want to upload some sound files to memrise, a language learning webpage. They recommend using audacity and an mp3 exporter plugin which I've looked at, but it seems a little complex.

What I'd like to do is read a list of words and then be able to split the recoding into the individual words and export them as MP3s.

Can anyone recommend some user friendly software?

There's nothing difficult or complex about what you want to do in Audacity. To do what you want to do, I clicked record, highlighted a word, hit Edit->Copy (or Ctrl-C), hit File->New and pasted it in to the blank track. Then you can just go to File->Export and save it as an MP3.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just learnt that my Windows 7 PC is using "hybrid sleep". I've googled about this but want to clarify its difference from hibernation.

1) Hybrid sleep always uses more power than hibernation, right?

2) I know internet access ceases when you hibernate a PC. Is this the case for hybrid sleep? Sometimes when I awaken my PC from its sleep, I realise it's still downloading/uploading on my torrent client.

All I want to do is get my PC to use minimal power while keeping a few word docs open as I sleep at night. I get the feeling my PC doesn't draw as little power as it could, and it's showing in my bills. Wouldn't mind using a bit more time to awaken the PC in the morning.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Vegetable posted:

I just learnt that my Windows 7 PC is using "hybrid sleep". I've googled about this but want to clarify its difference from hibernation.

1) Hybrid sleep always uses more power than hibernation, right?

2) I know internet access ceases when you hibernate a PC. Is this the case for hybrid sleep? Sometimes when I awaken my PC from its sleep, I realise it's still downloading/uploading on my torrent client.

All I want to do is get my PC to use minimal power while keeping a few word docs open as I sleep at night. I get the feeling my PC doesn't draw as little power as it could, and it's showing in my bills. Wouldn't mind using a bit more time to awaken the PC in the morning.

1) technically yes; since it's keeping power to the RAM. However, it's about a couple of Watts. Something, but your TV probably uses the same if not more in standby.

2) it's off, yes, it's just picking up where it left off.

Hybrid sleep is great; instant on, and if you lose power for some reason while it's sleeping, it will still pick up where it left off.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
I'm pretty anal about how my music and videos folder structure, but never really 'cared' about my pictures until recently.

Currently, I have them in folders named like 'Christmas 2012', but I'm seeing that this really isn't working out now that I have 2000+ pictures.

What's a good photo organizer, and what folder structure is best? I'm currently using Picasa, but I don't see how to easily rename my photos to a more efficient structure with that program.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Drifter posted:

I'm pretty anal about how my music and videos folder structure, but never really 'cared' about my pictures until recently.

Currently, I have them in folders named like 'Christmas 2012', but I'm seeing that this really isn't working out now that I have 2000+ pictures.

What's a good photo organizer, and what folder structure is best? I'm currently using Picasa, but I don't see how to easily rename my photos to a more efficient structure with that program.

I actually really like Windows Photo Gallery. Doesn't do much for your folder structure problem, but it has a lot of nice organization tools.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

The Drifter posted:

How would you want to structure your photos though? Irfanview can do it by pretty much anything you want using the batch renamer.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

Grawl posted:

How would you want to structure your photos though? Irfanview can do it by pretty much anything you want using the batch renamer.

I was thinking something similar to:

-My Pictures
--<year>
---<month>
----<year>-<month>-<day>(#).jpg

I'll check Irfanview out. Thanks!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Drifter posted:

I was thinking something similar to:

-My Pictures
--<year>
---<month>

I'll check Irfanview out. Thanks!
If that's your wish I would rather look for an image viewer that's able to parse EXIF data (metadata embedded in images taken with a digital camera, including the time it was taken) and structure it like you said in a hierarchy. Renaming images like that you would also lose the information that a given picture was taken on Christmas 2012, for example.

Alas, I don't know of a viewer that does it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Drifter posted:

-My Pictures
--<year>
---<month>
den4b Renamer or something similar should be in anyone's toolkit, really.

This puts the year/month subfolders in the folder where the pictures are. You can also use an absolute path in the last rule if the files are in subfolders already (likely). Just replace the . in the second part of the RegEx rule with something like: C:\\Users\\The Drifter\\Pictures (ie. escaping the backslashes and adjusted for actual username, obviously).

Make extensive use of the preview function with path and new path columns visible though, this is a pretty powerful program.

Pilsner posted:

Renaming images like that you would also lose the information that a given picture was taken on Christmas 2012, for example.
Good point, bad example. Christmas would obviously easy to trace back, since that occurs on the same date each year :v:, but you'd lose other stuff like "Aruba 2010" or "Graduation party Kyle 2003" or something.

So I'm going to agree that renaming photo's by date isn't always the best solution. The date is embedded in the file and can be retreived by most photo organizing software, so using it as a file name is completely redundant, not to mention restating the same information in the folder name.

Edit vvvvv
Yeah, I know that it can do similar things (and possibly some things Renamer can't), but that interface is a nightmare. den4b Renamer not only keeps the order in which things happen very clear, it also translates every rule in human parseable language, which helps you keep track of what you're doing. And in Bulk Rename Utility, you can't reorder the sequence of the actions, but that's pretty important if you want to use the output of one action as input for the next, like in the example above (ie. insert EXIF date, then split it into folder names). You can work around that by renaming multiple times, but then you lose non-destructive preview. Also, some intermediate steps might end up with invalid (eg. duplicate) filenames, which requires exra workarounds. This is no problem in Renamer.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 28, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I prefer Bulk Rename Utility for that kind of stuff.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quick question: I almost always launch Explorer by pressing Win+E. Is there any way to make it open on a particular path when launched this way (instead of defaulting to Libraries)?

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Quick question: I almost always launch Explorer by pressing Win+E. Is there any way to make it open on a particular path when launched this way (instead of defaulting to Libraries)?

I would add something like this to my AutoHotkey script that runs at login:

code:
#e::Run, explorer c:\desired\path

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

NihilCredo posted:

Yes, if you edit the target in the Windows Explorer shortcut in the start menu this seems to take precedence.

I use "%windir%\explorer.exe shell:MyComputerFolder"

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
This seemed like the best place to ask. I have an SSD and a standard HDD in my PC, I got a new HDD (the old one is small and quite old). What is the current recommend process for cloning and swapping in the new drive? I have a SATA->USB converter if I need it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking for an application to download Podcasts directly to my PC in mp3 format for copying to a flash drive since I don't feel like carrying my only iPhone charging cable everywhere to listen in my car. Any recommendations for a good solid one?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

The Drifter posted:

I use Picasa and it is really useful and easy enough to use. It also lets you syncronize your pictures with the web inside private albums on Google + (unless you want to make them public of course) so its kind of a cloud based photo manager. Good enough for me!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm looking for an application to download Podcasts directly to my PC in mp3 format for copying to a flash drive since I don't feel like carrying my only iPhone charging cable everywhere to listen in my car. Any recommendations for a good solid one?

Doesn't iTunes use .MP3 for Podcasts? Sadly, out of all the ones I've tried, I still like iTunes as my podcast manager best. I would think you can just browse to the directory the podcasts are in and copy them...or if you want to be really fancy, set up a Synctoy task to copy all of them to a flash drive.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

mmm11105 posted:

This seemed like the best place to ask. I have an SSD and a standard HDD in my PC, I got a new HDD (the old one is small and quite old). What is the current recommend process for cloning and swapping in the new drive? I have a SATA->USB converter if I need it.
I just hook up both drives and copy all files manually in Windows, then remove the old drive. I actually read you can even hotswap SATA drives now, which I didn't know for some reason.

I assume the HDD just has files on it and not the OS.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I bought Office 2010 not long ago, and so today got the email for my free upgrade to 2013.

I know it's free, but is there any consensus as to whether it's really worth it? Running Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

Also, I'm reading about only one install being allowed outside of the 365 version. My copy of Office 2010 can be installed on two machines. Will I lose this ability if I upgrade?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
No idea but I just took advantage of the Home Use Program through my employer and the Office 2013 Pro Plus installer isn't an iso - it's an .exe which downloads the file structure direct to your drive.

Bloody annoying 'cause I want the iso as a back up.

Edit: offline installer's here: http://superuser.com/questions/449923/office-2013-offline-installer

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I bought Office 2010 not long ago, and so today got the email for my free upgrade to 2013.

I know it's free, but is there any consensus as to whether it's really worth it? Running Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

Also, I'm reading about only one install being allowed outside of the 365 version. My copy of Office 2010 can be installed on two machines. Will I lose this ability if I upgrade?

The licensing has gotten weird. For the stand-alone version they have taken away the multiple install provision in the license, everything is 1:1. However, buying a $99/yr subscription to Office 365 gets you that software, allows you to install on up to 5 systems, an extra 20gb of Skydrive storage, Skype minutes, and Home & Student no longer comes with Access, Outlook, and some other things. I played around with the Profession Plus version with my Technet account and it seemed okay, but the GUI is heavily influenced by the Metro stylings which mean drop shadows, hinting, and other stuff that you expect in Windows 7 are ripped out and I do not like that from a usability standpoint personally.

My gut feeling is that if you are in a house with 3 or more computers that all need Office, you might as well bite the bullet and get the 365 subscription. If you have one to two, I would sit this one out and stay on 2010. If your work or school does Microsoft volume licensing you might want to wait a bit as well. The big thing they are pushing is moving those places to the 365 subscription model, which means that because you are licensed through your employer or school you are entitled to install the software at home as well. You might end up having a free license fall in your lap in a year or two.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The licensing has gotten weird. For the stand-alone version they have taken away the multiple install provision in the license, everything is 1:1. However, buying a $99/yr subscription to Office 365 gets you that software, allows you to install on up to 5 systems, an extra 20gb of Skydrive storage, Skype minutes, and Home & Student no longer comes with Access, Outlook, and some other things. I played around with the Profession Plus version with my Technet account and it seemed okay, but the GUI is heavily influenced by the Metro stylings which mean drop shadows, hinting, and other stuff that you expect in Windows 7 are ripped out and I do not like that from a usability standpoint personally.

My gut feeling is that if you are in a house with 3 or more computers that all need Office, you might as well bite the bullet and get the 365 subscription. If you have one to two, I would sit this one out and stay on 2010. If your work or school does Microsoft volume licensing you might want to wait a bit as well. The big thing they are pushing is moving those places to the 365 subscription model, which means that because you are licensed through your employer or school you are entitled to install the software at home as well. You might end up having a free license fall in your lap in a year or two.

Seems a bit stupid that they might then expect me to "upgrade" my two install standalone Office 2010, even for free, if I'm only going to be able to use it on one machine (when I need it for my desktop and laptop). Not sure what new features are much of a draw, either, though I like the PDF editing. Think I'll stay put.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

What's the best freeware tool for tracking system changes during software installation/first runs?

This site lists some but none seem to offer all I'd want:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-registry-and-files-changes-when-installing-software-in-windows/

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

WastedJoker posted:

No idea but I just took advantage of the Home Use Program through my employer and the Office 2013 Pro Plus installer isn't an iso - it's an .exe which downloads the file structure direct to your drive.

Edit: offline installer's here: http://superuser.com/questions/449923/office-2013-offline-installer

Your timing was excellent. I just came to this thread to ask where I could get the 64-bit installer for 2013 ProfPlus because my university's select agreement only provides the 32 bit installer.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I have a question about psftp (or about other sftp programs for windows). Basically, under regular ftp, I could use -s commands.txt to enter commands that do what I want. I'd like to do the same thing for sftp (and I have psftp available, but wouldn't mind using another command-line based program). Basically, I do something like psftp whatever -b commands.scr, but my problem is that psftp then immediately closes after running the batch file. I'm not doing anything complicated in commands.scr, basically moving to the appropriate remote and local directories, but I'd really like to automate that like I was able to do for ftp.

Is there a way to do this with psftp or another command line sftp program that would let me do something similar?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Naffer posted:

Your timing was excellent. I just came to this thread to ask where I could get the 64-bit installer for 2013 ProfPlus because my university's select agreement only provides the 32 bit installer.

I don't use any Office add-ons (so far as I know), so would I be better installing the x64 version? I don't have massive spreadsheet needs or anything, I just thought there might be performance advantages or something.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Performance-wise it's not going to make much of a difference and most of your major 3rd party vendors are making x64 plugins now as well. It's going to be a bit more secure on a stock Windows install because DEP is mandatory for 64-bit processes while 32-bit is optional. We went with 2010 64-bit at work once Adobe started doing the 64-bit plugin with the 10.1 release and it has been working fine for us.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Performance-wise it's not going to make much of a difference and most of your major 3rd party vendors are making x64 plugins now as well. It's going to be a bit more secure on a stock Windows install because DEP is mandatory for 64-bit processes while 32-bit is optional. We went with 2010 64-bit at work once Adobe started doing the 64-bit plugin with the 10.1 release and it has been working fine for us.

Surely x86 Office uses DEP?

On a mildly related note, I don't save documents directly to SkyDrive in Office 2013 because of the time it takes to connect to the server and open something. Not a long time of course but locals docs open within a second.

What I've done is install the SkyDrive application and have all my docs in that folder being synced to my online storage through that. Am I missing something by doing it this way or am I getting the best of both worlds - online backup coupled with fast local access?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

That linked me to the Preview releases of Office 2013. Anywhere we can get the final ISOs or .exes that's legal?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Surely x86 Office uses DEP?

On a mildly related note, I don't save documents directly to SkyDrive in Office 2013 because of the time it takes to connect to the server and open something. Not a long time of course but locals docs open within a second.

What I've done is install the SkyDrive application and have all my docs in that folder being synced to my online storage through that. Am I missing something by doing it this way or am I getting the best of both worlds - online backup coupled with fast local access?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, just like how 32-bit IE didn't (might with 9 or 10, haven't checked lately) because they were worried about plugin compatibility. Plugins run under the office parent process and would have to work correctly with DEP or they will crash. And a lot of 32-bit plugins are ancient shoddy garbage.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That linked me to the Preview releases of Office 2013. Anywhere we can get the final ISOs or .exes that's legal?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/18317-office-2013-installation-2.html

Some links here and no mention made of preview.

I'm downloading it now - I'll update this post when I find out the version. I'll compare it with the preview version I obviously downloaded earlier :/

Edit: Preview version too.

I don't want to use a lovely online streaming install method, Microsoft.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 31, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am using Windows 7 at work, and would like to use a single line taskbar with small icons and still be able to see Time AND date. Is this possible at all without third party applications?

Thanks in advance!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thanks, I'll find a happy medium. Appreciate the confirmation.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On Win7 using the active directory users and computers console.

How can I figure out what OU a particular computer is in? I can search and find the computer but right clicking it and doing properties there's nothing that indicates what OU. I'm having to just manually look through each one until someone tells me what I'm doing wrong.

I need to reimage this and put it in the same OU it was. When I reimage it there's a util that's going to force me to pick one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wagonburner posted:

On Win7 using the active directory users and computers console.

How can I figure out what OU a particular computer is in? I can search and find the computer but right clicking it and doing properties there's nothing that indicates what OU. I'm having to just manually look through each one until someone tells me what I'm doing wrong.

I need to reimage this and put it in the same OU it was. When I reimage it there's a util that's going to force me to pick one.

In the search results, click view > choose columns > published at > add. OK

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

HalloKitty posted:

Sweet, it works, thanks.

This only comes up for me every once in a while when someone from out of town needs a reimage, every other office has like a dozen OUs, mine only has one so there's never a question normally. I know I got frustrated about the same thing last time.

MS :argh:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

You can also do it through View, Advanced Features which adds some extra tabs to the property view, including the Object tab that has the full object path along with creation date and modification timestamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My dad just subscribed to Office 365 Home Premium. If I use my Office 2013 media, can I sign in to it using the Office 365 account, or will I have to use the actual 365 installer?

Edit: You have to use the actual Office 365 installer - when I try to activate Office by signing in with the relevant account, it tells me that my product isn't installed.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2013