Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Injuries, all them injuries. Our opponents stiffed us like Scott Steiner and Vader and we're paying for it. Yet, we're still in this! Thanks to the spirit of Barry Horowitz, we will never give up!

Rance Mullinicks needs to redeem himself. Take him and The Chosen Dunn!

Now to deal with injuries.

Send down:

SP Johan Santana(injured)
RP Bob Locker(injured)
2B Rod Carew(injured)
SP Jim Kaat(sucked)

Call up:

SP Kevin Brown(good pitcher)
SP Pete Reichert(good roll, probably sucks)
RP Joe Smith(oh dear)
1B Carlos Delgado(too many first basemen. Need to trade one! Possibly for a dispersal pick!)

Lineups will reflect Frank Howard's return from injury. In the meantime, Brady Anderson takes his place in LF against lefties, and Harmon Killebrew takes his DH spot against righties.

Lineups:

Vs. lefties

1. 2B Jose Reyes
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Harmon Killebrew
5. LF Frank Howard
6. 3B David Wright
7. SS Cal Ripken Jr
8. C Chris Hoiles
9. Pitcher Spot

vs. righties

1. 2B Jose Reyes
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Rafael Palmeiro
5. 3B David Wright
6. LF Brady Anderson
7. SS Cal Ripken Jr.
8. C Chris Hoiles
9. Pitcher Spot

vs. lefties w/ DH

1. 2B Jose Reyes
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Harmon Killebrew
5. LF Frank Howard
6. 3B David Wright
7. DH Rafael Palmeiro
8. SS Cal Ripken Jr.
9. C Chris Hoiles

vs. righties w/ DH

1. 2B Jose Reyes
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Rafael Palmeiro
5. 3B David Wright
6. DH Frank Howard
7. SS Cal Ripken Jr.
8. LF Brady Anderson
9. C Chris Hoiles

Rotation:

1. Bert Blyleven
2. Mike Mussina
3. Kevin Brown
4. Tommy John
5. Frank Reichert

Closer: Billy Wagner
Setup: Trevor Hoffman
Short Relief: Joe Smith
Short Relief: Pedro Feliciano
Middle Relief: Robb Nen
Long Relief: Wilbur Wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

James the First has been guarding us of late. These injuries won't stop us.

DL Lee, Assenmacher, and HEN-Ke. Reardon closes, Gossage sets up, Campbell is short relief, Eppa Rixey is middle. I appreciate the advice, Smasher, but I want to give ol' Sonny Siebert a chance to fail in the bigs. Siebert takes Lee's spot.

I guess I'll go with The Saint and J. Hopp.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Once Bruce Sutter is coming back in 4 days, slot him back as Setup. Cecil Upshaw moves ot middle relief for the mogul generated fill in with the 60+ rating.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Well, I got swept by the Bangers, but swept the Unicorns...which helps Marauder. Argh.

I'm pretty sanguine about collapsing, except it's a shame to waste a rotation performance this good.

Voting for Bellhorn astride his Belhorse and the Chosen Dunn. Strike out for victory!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

μολὼν λαβέ, Humungus.

I'd like to test out Mssr. Éric Gagné at short relief over Aceves, if you would.

Mark Grace is a legend, I have nary a doubt he will be able to handle things even with Johnny Hopp, Baseball Bunny and Yoshida, The Soft Tosser at his side.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Send forth the goodly Saint Bellhorn! He is attended by his woman-at-arms, Yoshida!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Have me wondering what this idea you have for Super-League X involves besides the Skyhawks' apparent return. Seems like I'll need that since even I have to admit I'm not getting the rolls I got on my whole staff three times in the Gauntlet. If the offense can do what it did against the Losers I have a shot, but I've never been able to bet on my offense saving my rear end. Guess I'll swap Jack Morris out of the rotation for Lefty Gomez and hope the over 5 ERA was an aberration due to small sample size.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 21 Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Burleigh Grimes (SP) (Asked the One, True Question) - Out for Season

Florida Oranges
Joe Mauer (C) (Royal Rumble!) - 14 days

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Bert Cole (SP) (Needed to stop by the DMV to get his license plates changed) - 11 days

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yoshida and Hopp, away!

Meanwhile on the RMS Generics, the captain bravely puts on a little light music while the generator explodes, plunging the listing ship into darkness. Garciaparra back to SS, Kent to 2B.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII Injury Report - August

THIS INJURY REPORT IS DECLARED NULL AND VOID BY THE SUPER-LEAGUE OFFICE OF TEMPORAL PARADOXES

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 26, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

DUE TO TIME SHENANIGANS, THIS INJURY REPORT MANAGEMENT NO LONGER EXISTS

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2013

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

: HHHIIIFFFFFFFFFF YA SMELLLLALALALALLALALAA! What the RANCE! IS...cookin'.

Seriously c'mon guys, give me another chance!

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

I guess it's time to give up on Frisch for the season and let Billy Herman start second base full time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Harvard Elites

Move Rick Reed into Jim Gott's slot and please stop killing my players.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Gotta be honest I don't even mind the injury because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAUwQ3Wkn0&t=70s
:woop:Rumble season:woop:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Bert Cole (SP) (Needed to stop by the DMV to get his license plates changed) - 11 days

Move Pedro Martinez into the Bullpen for the moment to replace Cole.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Atlantis Aquamen
SP Fernando Valenzuela (Everything's NOT better down where it's wetter) - 22 days

Brooklyn BABiPs
SP Paul Splittorff (Scorekeeper pissed about writing "Splittorff") - 14 days

CERN Colliders
1B Lou Gehrig (Excitement over the temporal anomaly) - 6 days

Canton Catastrophes
3B Hans Lobert (... you lucky son of a REDACTED) - 16 days

Harvard Elites
SP Pete Vukovich (welp) - May Miss Next Start (2 days)
C Ted Simmons (double welp) - 2 days
LF Barry Bonds (accused of perjury... again) - 22 days

Idaho Potatoes
SP Larry Dierker (Too many people laughed at his last name) - 8 days

Lovable Losers
2B Ryne Sandberg (Slipped and fell) - 2 days
LF Phil Cavarretta (Broke Ryne's fall) - Out for Season (80 days)

Miami Manatees
SP Pedro Martinez (oh the huge manatee) - 5 days
CF Ken Griffey, Jr. (wait, you're my division rival?) - 16 days
SP Kevin Brown (I should probably do something about that) - Out for Season (77 days)

Million Dollar Men
3B Frank Baker (Baked himself into a cake) - 7 days
C Les Nunamaker (Ate the cake, got sick) - Out for Season (227 days)

Nowhere Men
SP Roger Clemens (return the slab) - 9 days
2B Bobby Doerr (when one Doerr closes, another opens) - 13 days

Omaha Forgettables
C Pat Borders (Forgettables Without Borders) - 4 days
1B Fred McGriff (took a bite out of the wrong crime) - 11 days

RVA Beard Leaguers
C Mike Fitzgerald (i got nothin') - 1 day

Sad Pandas
SP Max Lanier (Maxed out) - 12 days

Tijuana Mules
C Benito Santiago (Mulekicked) - 7 days

SP Orel Hershiser is injured for 1 day but he's your #5 and your #3 is up next anyway, so it should be fine.

Walney Rakers
SR Rick Honeycutt (wrong side of town) - 8 days

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Canton Catastrophes
3B Hans Lobert (... you lucky son of a REDACTED) - 16 days

Timelord Perry: Saving my bacon, one temporal paradox at a time. :smug:

Let's see how this works out: Omar Vizquel in for Lobert's spot. DON'T put Lobert back in when he's healed.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 20: Ashes to Ashes, Funk to Funky

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

CULTISTS BURN AS EVERYONE ELSE LAUGHS AT THEM; BARONS WIN 5-4

Providence- If you are going to build a contender, you probably shouldn't stack your roster with castoffs from the Juneau Juggernauts.

The Cultists probably should have won this game. Unlike the start of the season, when Christy Mathewson was erratic at best, Big Six turned in a solid performance in today's contest, throwing seven innings and allowed only three runs. That looked to be enough for the Cultists, as they held a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the ninth. Joakim Soria, an all-star, if only because CthulhuDreams decided to bring his own closer into the all-star series, retired the first two batters of the inning without much trouble. But then he allowed a single to Slaughter and a double to Musial and, just like that, the game was tied. Soria was able to get out of the inning without further damage, but the game now headed to the tenth with the score tied 4-4.

A fuming CthulhuDreams yelled at his players between innings, demanding they improve or else. This was the culmination of a season's worth of frustrations for the Cultists' owner. Having been swept by the W's last week, the Cultists simply had to win this game if they had any chance of even making the wildcard. A loss here would mean that, for all practical purposes, the best the Cultists could hope for was a bye to the next season. This CthulhuDreams could not allow, and he made it crystal clear that there would be consequences if his team failed him now.

But they did, as they managed only one hit in the top of the tenth, and no runs. And now the Barons would get another shot. This was probably not a good time for Soria to pitch another inning. He had already blown the save in the ninth, and had tossed a fair number of pitches in doing so. But CtulhuDreams was feeling stubborn, and Soria would remain in the game. This proved a mistake. Soria, tired from the last inning, was wild, and after striking out Fred Lynn to start the inning, plunked Buddy Bell to put the winning run at first. Del Rice, not much of a batsmen, bunted Bell to second base. Red Schoendienst now came up to the plate with a runner at second and two outs, and he hit the ball into short center for a single. Tris Speaker, irrationally worried that the relatively slow-footed Bell would try to run home on the play, rushed his throw, and threw the ball all the way to the backstop, ironically allowing Bell to easily cross home plate and win the game.

After the game, CthulhuDreams was angry to the point of incoherence, "What the gently caress is this? The gently caress is gently caress! What-how-why? I did...but he did...no! No! NONONONONONO! This isn't right! NO!"

Tris Speaker, who made the bad throw, tried to justify it after the game, "When things aren't going right, you just get so wound up that you're looking for anything that you can do that will turn things around. And sometimes they don't work. Like this time. Still, that's just one of those things. Let's be honest, this is all CthuluDreams' fault. Man is just too clever by half."

GAME NOTES

-Gardenald continued to not get quotes in his own write-ups for very good reasons that have nothing to do with me not having enough Star Trek jokes. Totally nothing to do with that.

-Mike Pizza is still hitting below the Mendoza line.

Box Score

Don May posted:

MASHERS BEAT WHALERS AFTER EPIC BULLPEN MELTDOWN

New Orleans- That is not how a closer is supposed to work!

The Whalers had just come back from a 3-2 deficit to take a 4-3 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. And then John Wetteland, their new closer thanks to some advice given by CthulhuDreams a few days earlier, struck out Craig Biggio to lead off the inning. Things were good. And so what if Nap Lajoie then singled, and Carl Everett walked, because Alex Rodriguez then struck out for the second out. The Whalers could win the game, they could do this. And then Larry Walker singled, scoring Lajoie to tie the game.

Okay, so perhaps the Whalers weren't going to be able to win the game right there and then. They could still take the game into extra innings, if they could just get one more out. And so it was decided that, since they needed only one more out, that they would be better off pitching to Dick Allen rather the Moises Alou, leading to an intentional walk. And so, with the bases loaded, it was up to John Wetteland to get one more out and extend the game.

Dick Allen's resulting home run shot still hasn't landed.

This frustrated mks5000, owner of the Whalers, who was only hoping to bring some sort of happiness to the downtrodden people of Hartford, who are forced to live in abject wealth and comfort, but, despite their enormous financial resources, have no team to call their own. Yes, it is true that some have pointed out that Hartford is only about 90 minutes or two hours away from either New York City or Boston, each of which has a full complement of professional teams they can support, and with the advent of cable television, they can probably just watch nearly all of those games on television if driving down the interstate is too much trouble.

One person who didn't have much sympathy for the Whalers is increasingly-deranged Mashers' owner CraigK, whose post-game comments were either enigmatic, or fuel mainly by bourbon, or perhaps both, "We won this game. We didn't need to win this game. Y'all seem to be under the misapprehension that we're just some harmless team from ol' Dixie who are here to drawl our way into the playoffs and get blasted to little pieces by the Landers or Gumshoes. Let me tell y'all how it's really going to go. Me and mine are going to make the playoffs, because the Cultists sure ain't going anywhere, and then we're going to win the wildcard round, and y'all are gonna say, 'it's just one game, really just a coin flip.' And then we're gonna beat the Eazy W's, and y'all are gonna say, 'Well, those W's, they just never did good in the playoffs, everyone beats them.' And then we're gonna keep winning, and yer gonna make yer excuses until we've won just about everything, and then we'll see just how dumb this hick really is!"

GAME NOTES

-But seriously, CthulhuDreams, your advice to the Whalers managed to hurt your playoff chances even more. It seems like everything you do this season, no matter how well-intentioned, is coming back to destroy you.

-It might be time to call in mks5001.

Box Score

Television Title Defenses

: Can we just take the week off from these defense?
: That would be wrong.
: Okay, first up, the Smokers, whose owner abandoned them, and are going to get relegated. And the Smokers will win the first game against the Gumshoes.

: And then lose one...
: Well, I mean-

: And two, and the Gumshoes win, because, well, the Smokers just aren't as good.
: What about the next series?
: Ugh.

: The next series is against the Air Raids, who have the worst winning percentage in the Super-League. And they'll lose Game 1.
: Big upset, maybe?

: They lose Game 2 as well, so no. And the Gumshoes relatively easily retain in both defenses this week against about the weakest competition you can think of.
: Hey, Smasher, I have a question, if I die in the obit, does that mean I die here, too?

: Air Raids win a game...good for them. And, to answer your question...well, let's just hope that the people voting on the obit make the right choice. And yes, there is only one right choice.
: I...I don't like this game.

: Next week, Gumshoes-Barons, and then either Barons-Smokers or, more excitingly, Gumshoes-Landers, with potentially three titles on the line. Until then, I'm out of here!

Team Statistics

Analysis

You're six games out of a playoff spot, so that's going to be hard to make up in six weeks, but if you can keep this level of play up, you'll probably get a bye out of the Gauntlet.

Analysis

I don't think Faustoan Bargain wants anything to do with the Super-League anymore.

Analysis

I don't think Shadow gamer wants anything to do with the Super-League either.

Analysis

Theoretically, the Phoenixes could lose their division, but they don't play the W's or Landers again, and only have one series against the Barons and none against the Whalers. So, it's a very theoretical 'theoretically'.

Analysis

It's all about survival at this point. Fortunately for you, a good final month can make that happen for you. Not a lot of changes to be made, you just need some luck.

Analysis

See you in the post-season.

Analysis

It's still possible to overtake the Gumshoes, even if it's going to be a bit tricky. Winning next week's series against them, and it's your last of the season, will go a long way towards doing that.

Analysis

Not a bad team for a guy whose never built one before, but they are probably going to die in the Gauntlet. And you do need to take a long, hard look at your rotation.

Analysis

The Cultists might mount a comeback, but you'd really have to struggle down the stretch to lose a playoff spot at this point. And Bernie Williams is almost back.

Analysis

Cause of death? Not enough power in the lineup. As a general rule, if a middle infielder is leading your team in home runs, and it's not a guy like A-Rod or Ernie Banks, it's a huge problem.

Analysis

Stumbling upwards!

Analysis

It might be time to panic, although it's still possible to make a playoff run, if only in theory.

Analysis

Babe Ruth is powerful, but he's not so great to support an entire team on his back alone.

Analysis

As is traditional with Pungry's teams, the Suicides are finishing relatively strong, well after the point when that would have done them any good.

Analysis

The W's will probably clinch a playoff berth relatively soon.

Analysis

The fact that you put a guy with a 6.30 ERA into your rotation, and it counted as vast improvement says all that needs to be said about this team.

Standings and Leaders

-Eri Yoshida - 10 votes

-St. Mark Bellhorn - 8 votes

-Johnny Hopp - 6 votes

-The Chosen Dunn - 4 votes

-Rance Mullinix - 1 votes

-El Greco Hombre! - 1 votes

"Okay, I'll take the Saint and the girl." Grace said, though he was a bit reluctant to do so. Truthfully, he didn't like any of his options, but these two seemed like the least bad.

Marauder nodded his head, "So be it! Prepare for dimensional transference!"

"Awesome! I'm totally ready to get back in the game!" As always, Yoshida was excited for no good reason. Bellhorn, meanwhile, remained silent. Something was clearly bothering him, but this wasn't the time to find out what it was. The skies of Earth-1 were blood-red and it was raining, hard. Whatever it was that was threatening the universe sure was making the weather miserable.

The trio landed on a small hill overlooking some sort of black tower that seemed to stick out of the ground like a giant barb. Marauder's voice somehow entered Grace's head, "Mark Grace, you and your team must find a way to destroy this tower, or else all is lost. Well, maybe not all, but it would certainly not set a strong precedent. I have supplied you with a device capable of leveling the tower in one mighty blast, but one of you will need to enter the tower and make it to the top in order ensure the total destruction of the tower." Grace looked at the device which had materialized in his right hand. It was a small metal sphere about the size of a 16'' softball, with no markings other than Marauder's sigil on the bottom. It would have to do.

Looking more closely at the tower, and wishing that he had binoculars to see a bit more clearly, he saw that the tower appeared to be composed of some sort of stone, probably obsidian, with ominous, glowing red lines sparkling across the surface. Mark felt like the more he looked at the tower, the less he understood it. Still, it was pretty clear what had to happen. Two guys outside the tower to distract the guards, one going inside to take care of the tower. But who to send in?

Yoshida volunteered immediately, "Listen, I'm not going to be much use fighting the guards, and I'm the smallest, so it just makes more sense for me to do the sneaking! I'm probably pretty good at it...maybe."

"No, I'll do it." Bellhorn finally broke his silence, "I will bring this tower down...at any cost."

Mark Grace had to consider this carefully. After all, if he hosed this up, someone could get killed out there...

DECISION TIME!

Who's going into the tower?

A. St. Mark Bellhorn

B. Eri Yoshida

C. Mark Grace

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

We all know Eri Yoshida has the physics defying not-so-fastball. If anything, she should be handling the incredibly dangerous orb.

I believe in Yoshida!

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Grinnblade posted:

Walney Rakers
SR Rick Honeycutt (wrong side of town) - 8 days

I think Mogul realised it hadn't given me my obligatory pitching injury, hence the temporal weirdness.

Like with Holland, I'm perfectly fine just leaving him there while he recovers.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
You can do it, Grace!

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Grinnblade posted:

Miami Manatees
SP Pedro Martinez (oh the huge manatee) - 5 days
CF Ken Griffey, Jr. (wait, you're my division rival?) - 16 days
SP Kevin Brown (I should probably do something about that) - Out for Season (77 days)

Well, ain't that some poo poo. Two starting pitchers with season ending injuries. I'm not going to touch anything and let the computer fill in Henderson for Griffey or whatever. Looks like Moyer will be getting some work.

My poor, poor pitching. Ah, if the division leader wasn't always around .500 I wouldn't have had a chance in this division anyway. At least a second place in this division still gets a decent draft pick.

EDIT: Yoshida!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Can I call up a SP from my feeder team to replace Lanier during the Exp Cup?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

Feeder teams are explicitly locked off during the season - either Super League or EC. So no, you can't call anyone up to replace a starting pitcher currently injured. What's on your team is what you got.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

C

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

You could, however, make trades from your feeders for an SP. Such as, perhaps, one of mine.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Eri Yoshida because she can do it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mornacale posted:

You could, however, make trades from your feeders for an SP. Such as, perhaps, one of mine.
I'd be happy to sing you a song or sell you next Tuesday for a good starter. Trouble is, I've picked the 42 Cards and 54 Yanks pretty well clean. The 2004 Expos are...ugly. Older Slaughter? Irv Noren? Terry Moore? *shrug*

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

We at the Ineptodrome are aware of the limitations of our pitching. Halladay is fit again, so he gets to be the no. 2 starter again and Lowe returns to the pen. Also, assuming it won't kill Roger Clemens, return him to the no. 1 slot at the first opportunity, with Ford as the no. 3.

I think I will probably try to make another team. The Arguments are dead men walking, but I think I know what my big mistakes were.

Obit vote: we nominate Saint Bellhorn for the dirty job.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

: I hate you all. I would have gone in the tower guns a'blazin, whoopin' up on any sucka that came across RANCE(ah ah!), the savior of the Universe! But noooo.. you're gonna throw in some meek Japanese chick as a sacrifice. I also would have taken the Jacksonville Jobbers to the top, but nooo... David Wright is magically fixed. drat it.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Let's get Luderus back in at 1B for Kress, and have Kress cover SS while Ramirez is out. Switch Crowder to long relief and Lemon into his spot, and call up Rixey to take over for Maddux while he's hurt.

And Saint Bellhorn is the right call for the task at hand.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Activate the Space Jam!

Lineup:
#1 - Stan Musial RF
#2 - Michael Jordan LF
#3 - Rogers Hornsby 2B
#4 - Julio Franco SS
#5 - Steve Garvey 1B
#6 - Frank Baker 3B
#7 - Jimmy Wynn CF
#8 - Joe Ferguson C
#9 - Pitcher

Put Messersmith in the #5 spot, replacing Jenkins.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

It might be time to panic, although it's still possible to make a playoff run, if only in theory.

I don't even know what's going wrong. We've lead for most of the season in runs allowed, and we're currently 2nd to the landers, we we're third i n OBP when I consulted with you before. My power numbers are ,bad' I'm a bit below league average - but the phoenixes have hit less dingers and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. And that should be an above league average wOBA, but I'm not doing so well there. My bullpen may explain why we are 4 games under our pythag, but its just been a diabolical season.

Some guys have failed me - billy Williams has a caddy and has only posted a .300 OBP, Sewell's BABIP of .200, Walter Johnson is being out pitched by Ray Collins , etc, but ultimately someone is going to underperform every season and the team is still amongst the league leaders in a number if offensive and defensive categories so its hard to blame them, particularly when whatever I lost on Johnson I got back on Carlton.

I've written off the season at this point - I did when I sold Pedro and Walker. I just have to hope that whatever the mystery box is can be leveraged into an elite 1B/RF/LF and I can find some more power from SS and which ever corner outfield position I replace, and another pitcher in the draft.

That said I would appreciate knowing my defensive efficiency, league average defensive efficiency, and my place in the league leaders, same for slugging.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't even know what's going wrong. We've lead for most of the season in runs allowed, and we're currently 2nd to the landers, we we're third i n OBP when I consulted with you before. My power numbers are ,bad' I'm a bit below league average - but the phoenixes have hit less dingers and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. And that should be an above league average wOBA, but I'm not doing so well there. My bullpen may explain why we are 4 games under our pythag, but its just been a diabolical season.

Some guys have failed me - billy Williams has a caddy and has only posted a .300 OBP, Sewell's BABIP of .200, Walter Johnson is being out pitched by Ray Collins , etc, but ultimately someone is going to underperform every season and the team is still amongst the league leaders in a number if offensive and defensive categories so its hard to blame them, particularly when whatever I lost on Johnson I got back on Carlton.

I've written off the season at this point - I did when I sold Pedro and Walker. I just have to hope that whatever the mystery box is can be leveraged into an elite 1B/RF/LF and I can find some more power from SS and which ever corner outfield position I replace, and another pitcher in the draft.

That said I would appreciate knowing my defensive efficiency, league average defensive efficiency, and my place in the league leaders, same for slugging.

Okay, I'll tell you what I think happened. First of all, you have a terrible record against the elite teams (Gumshoes, Landers and W's), to the tune of 7-22 against those three teams. That's a problem.

Second, your top two starters are ripped from the Juggernauts, a team that perennially underachieved, so it can't be that surprising that they wouldn't lead your team to victory. I mean, how many times did you see factorialite's team fall apart like this? And why do they struggle? Well, Mathewson is very young and, fairly or not, Mogul tends to make young pitchers a bit erratic. As for Johnson, he's old, and doesn't have much power. So, it's easy to see how that could have gone wrong, especially since, fair or not, Mogul doesn't really like your infield defenders.

And, for that matter, Matty's season wasn't really all that bad, and Steve Carlton had a great season. Essentially, it's more a problem of Walter Johnson having a down year, and Pedro imploding. But, then again, Walter Johnson is still a bit above-average in the Smasher League, and old Pedro has had down years in the Super-League before.

Third, your offense isn't really that good. I know that Bruzer, in the past, has accused me of having a power fetish, but, then again, I built the Macho Men and he built the Bronies. The reason that I like power in the Super-League is that it's a bitch and half to draw a lot of walks in the Super-League. For the most part, there aren't a ton of pitchers who issue a ton of walks in the Super-League, especially among starters. You are not going to find a player outside of maybe a Ruth, Williams or Bonds that can consistently draw about 100 walks in a season. It's just not going to happen. Power numbers are down in the Super-League too, but they, in my opinion, are a bit more reliable.

You traded Banks for Sewell. That was never, ever, ever going to work. Sewell's best tool is contact, and that is streaky. He's also got a decent eye but, as I just said, that's not greatly reliable either. What he doesn't have is any power whatsoever, meaning that if he gets unlucky on BABiP, he provides absolutely nothing to your offense. For all of your complaints about Banks' low BA and OBP, at least he still could mash a few homers. The same thing happened with Speaker. It was unlucky to have two of your hitters fall off like that, but such things happen.

As for your corner outfielders, in a league where other teams roll out Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, prime-Stan Musial, Al Simmons, Rickey Henderson, Hank Aaron and so on, Billy Williams/Indian Bob Johnson/Larry Walker and the others you used weren't that special. They're okay. They're not elite.

At the end of the day, you're offense is okay. Not great, not terrible, but definitely not the sort of group that is going to carry your team if your pitching isn't clicking.

I guess my ultimate conclusion is that your team was unlucky this season but, looking at how you built it, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't tell you that I don't think this is a team, as presently constructed, that is likely to win 100 games very often in the Super-League. It's a good team, but it's not a great team.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Well, at least it isn't any great surprise why my team is doomed. Half of my four best hitters aren't hitting, and the best hitter is injured :smith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
C.
[Nowhere Men.jpg. Too lazy to find it.]
Work around injuries, platoon where viable.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

It is Super League success that wants nothing to do with me! I've just gotten lazy about doing more than a quick read when nothing matters till Gauntlet. Still, let's get the sore guys out of there before anything bad happens.

Play Roberts at 2B for Morgan, Quentin in RF for Clemente, and send down Averill for Harper and let the kid play for now.

A - Bellhorn

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Platoon Petrocelli and Molitor at third for the week.

Also, Mark Grace can't entrust this task to anybody but Mark Grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

I'd be happy to sing you a song or sell you next Tuesday for a good starter. Trouble is, I've picked the 42 Cards and 54 Yanks pretty well clean. The 2004 Expos are...ugly. Older Slaughter? Irv Noren? Terry Moore? *shrug*

Yowch, you are pretty picked-over, plus Marauder already got the best guys that were left. How about Old Slaughter plus '42 Ernie White and Bill Lohrman for '67 Ken Holtzman? Holtzman's injured for me but he won't have taken that ratings hit for you. Of course, he's still not someone you want to take into SL as a starter, but none of those guys coming my way are ever likely to make it out of AAA either.

I'd also be open to discussing Whitey Ford for two starters, if you're interested.