Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Speedball posted:

True enough but I think he means non-fighting-game.

You mean non visual novel.

And this is from someone who loves P4A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

TurnipFritter posted:

Did you miss Persona 4 Arena, because that was an actual thing that actually happened.

Speedball posted:

True enough but I think he means non-fighting-game.

Also a game I can play. Arena still hasn't come out in Europe/Australia. Hell, part of the reason I'm this thrilled about SMT X FE is because this time I'll actually be able to go out and buy an Atlus game.

Speaking of, when looking at that trailer again I was struck by how SMT4's portraits look compared to the earlier SMT games. Did they change character designers or something sometime after Nocturne? I never realized before but I'm really attached to that slightly weird and unique way SMT humans look, it's just the right combination of anime and realism to make the aspects of both stand out. Also it feels weird to not have my eyes constantly float towards the lips. (EDIT: Might be a different shading style, it till stands out.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 25, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You're right; according to Siliconera, Kaneko's been replaced by the new character designer is the guy who did the design for Trauma Team. He's also the guy who redoes Kaneko's artwork on remakes of SMT games, presumably to market them to larger audiences because it's more appealing than the old porcelain doll-esque style.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
drat, that is a shame, I liked Kaneko's character designs. They were eye-catching, set them apart from everything similar.

Of course my full response hinges on if he was let go from demon designs as well. Those he knocked right out of the park consistently, and it'd hurt to lose him from that. What else has the new guy done? Because the only person I could maybe abide replacing him would be the guy who designed Personas in P3 and 4, I really liked the psuedo-robotic looks in that (that was a different guy, right?).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know if this applies to all demons, but some got new redesigns by people who worked on stuff like Kamen Rider. Here's a link to this old article where I'm getting this from.

The wiki has some info on the new guy, but to summarize, he was not just the character designer for Trauma Team, but also for the rest of the series starting from New Blood, he helped design the fields in Nocturne and some other games as well, and overall seems to have just been an assistant up until now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cleretic posted:

drat, that is a shame, I liked Kaneko's character designs. They were eye-catching, set them apart from everything similar.

Of course my full response hinges on if he was let go from demon designs as well. Those he knocked right out of the park consistently, and it'd hurt to lose him from that. What else has the new guy done? Because the only person I could maybe abide replacing him would be the guy who designed Personas in P3 and 4, I really liked the psuedo-robotic looks in that (that was a different guy, right?).

So far the only new demons that have been revealed have been done by assorted Kamen Rider artists (and they look terrible), but it looks like most of the demons are still just being pulled from old rear end Kaneko art so we end up with screenshots that look like this:

:sigh:

In other news:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

In other news:

I hope the CDs on the first print run aren't broken like Strange Journey's. Is there any info on if the CD's are preorder bonuses or if they're shipped with all first print copies?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I hope the CDs on the first print run aren't broken like Strange Journey's.

I hope they are, since you could get one of the replacement discs then without actually owning the game. :v:

I mean, i bought it afterwards, of course. But i mean, since Soul Hackers is obviously never hitting Europe and i collect soundtracks... well, i wouldn't mind a messed up print run~

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Did I just dick myself over in P2IS when I returned my starter persona to Igor for cards? Is there no compendium where I can resummon them back if I decide I want them again?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DeathSandwich posted:

Did I just dick myself over in P2IS when I returned my starter persona to Igor for cards? Is there no compendium where I can resummon them back if I decide I want them again?

Nope! The Compendium was introduced in Nocturne. To my knowledge, you'll just have to repurchase personas you trade away (and I don't know about your starters)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You can't repurchase your starters but they're useless once you outgrow them anyway. Don't worry about it.

...okay, if you get Eros and Maia's mutation spells (Media and Diarama, I think?) they're amazing for out of battle healing thanks to their dirt cheap SP cost, but that's about it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, I just got Devil Survivor 2, how should I build the MC? I remember in the first game Magic heavy was the way to go, are there more options this time, or should I focus magic?

EDIT: also, any demons/skills I should shoot for early game?

Double edit: holy poo poo anti-grav tits :stare:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 26, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fiend Computer posted:

So, I just got Devil Survivor 2, how should I build the MC? I remember in the first game Magic heavy was the way to go, are there more options this time, or should I focus magic?

Magic heavy is still good. Phys heavy works, but is less good. Phys/Agility split is also incredibly strong, but Hinako has that stat spread anyways, so as long as you make sure she stays with you at the endgame, you'll be fine there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So just playing Persona 3 for the first time.

I'm just about to hit the second Full Moon, around 15-17 days before it. I've almost maxxed out Kenjis SLink ( 3 more events ), Old Couple SLink ( 4-5 more events ), and have a few points into both the Hermit and Emperor Arcanas. I'm also at around 3 Charm, and 2 Academics. I'm pretty sure I'm above the recommended level range for what I'm doing, as I'm level 11-12 and hitting floors 25-30. I should be able to easily blow through to 40 now that Akihiko has joined up though, and plan to spend the last few days grinding up for the next boss.

My question is I guess, how am I doing? This is my first Persona game, and I'm not really used to this style of game at all. I know I won't max out everyone's Social Link, and that's fine by me, ultimately I would like to max out the Old Couple/School Council/Treasurer/Kenji's/figure out who the Hermit is, and maybe the Kendo team as well. If my team members end up getting Social Links, I'd probably like to rank those up as well. I know about the Hanged Man SLink/Devil SLink/Moon SLink, but I don't really have much interest in even starting those, as I'd rather spend more time learning about the school/friends if I've got limited time.

I don't want a perfect game or anything, I just want to make sure I don't horribly mess everything up and end up with 20 unfinishable SLink cards right before the end. I'd much rather see how 5 pan out fully, then have 10 cards I didn't see the end of I guess.

e: Also why is it when I go to talk to the Old Couple/Maya, I just get a generic "You hung out." message, with no upgrade to the Arcania. Do I have to wait until certain events to pass before I can level them up again, or do I need to "grind" up an exp level before I get to the next scene.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You get hang out messages because you didn't have enough points to level up, so instead you just get the default +3 points or whatever. In P4 you can avoid those sort of situations more easily, but I remember my first time through P3 having to deal with that a lot. Nothing you can really do about it, just make sure you have a matching persona and try to pick the best options.

Anyway, you're probably fine. There are no real "must have" S. Links besides Emperor and Star, maybe Strength. You can make it through the game just sort of doing whatever.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rookersh posted:

e: Also why is it when I go to talk to the Old Couple/Maya, I just get a generic "You hung out." message, with no upgrade to the Arcania. Do I have to wait until certain events to pass before I can level them up again, or do I need to "grind" up an exp level before I get to the next scene.

Every time you hang out with someone a hidden counter for their Social Link gets points. You get extra points by bringing a Persona with their arcana with you and by answering dialog choices well. (you can tell how good your answer was by how many music notes come out of their head.) Every rank in a Social Link requires a certain number of these points before you can rank up. So if you don't have enough points to rank up when you hang out with someone, you'll get a generic scene instead which will push you closer to the rank up event. Hanging out with someone on a day off will also boost their Social Link closer to the next rank up event.

As for your other concern, just focus on spending time with the people you're interested in and bring a matching Persona along whenever possible and you should be able to max them out. You can Social Link with the women in your party, but each one requires a different social stat to be level 5 before you can start their link, so if you're interested maxing out all the party links make sure you don't neglect your Charm, Academics and Courage.

edit: to respond to the above post, he says Emperor and Star are "must have" links, but you really don't need to worry about it if you aren't interested in maxing them out. You get good Personas from their links, but they're super unnecessary to beat the game so you don't have to worry about it unless you really want to be strong in the end game. The best way to play these games (on your first playthrough, at least) is to just go through doing whatever you're interested in without stressing about your schedule or maxing out specific links for their ultimate Personas.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 27, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fiend Computer posted:

Double edit: holy poo poo anti-grav tits :stare:

The boob factor in the Devil Survivor games is pretty ridiculous even by anime standards. It's kinda off-putting.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also you might want to reconsider not starting the slinks you don't like. The experience bonus you get on Persona creation from even a level 2 or 3 link is usually good for one or two levels, which can make learning new Persona skills WAY easier, not to mention make them stronger against enemies.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rookersh posted:

So just playing Persona 3 for the first time.

I'm just about to hit the second Full Moon, around 15-17 days before it. I've almost maxxed out Kenjis SLink ( 3 more events ), Old Couple SLink ( 4-5 more events ), and have a few points into both the Hermit and Emperor Arcanas. I'm also at around 3 Charm, and 2 Academics. I'm pretty sure I'm above the recommended level range for what I'm doing, as I'm level 11-12 and hitting floors 25-30. I should be able to easily blow through to 40 now that Akihiko has joined up though, and plan to spend the last few days grinding up for the next boss.

My question is I guess, how am I doing? This is my first Persona game, and I'm not really used to this style of game at all. I know I won't max out everyone's Social Link, and that's fine by me, ultimately I would like to max out the Old Couple/School Council/Treasurer/Kenji's/figure out who the Hermit is, and maybe the Kendo team as well. If my team members end up getting Social Links, I'd probably like to rank those up as well. I know about the Hanged Man SLink/Devil SLink/Moon SLink, but I don't really have much interest in even starting those, as I'd rather spend more time learning about the school/friends if I've got limited time.

I don't want a perfect game or anything, I just want to make sure I don't horribly mess everything up and end up with 20 unfinishable SLink cards right before the end. I'd much rather see how 5 pan out fully, then have 10 cards I didn't see the end of I guess.

There's a floor cap for Tartarus that gets extended after every full moon. If you can make it to the top of the current cap, you are ready for the boss.

In order to min/max your social links, always have a persona of the associated arcana in your active deck when you go to talk to the person. The reason for this being that there's a certain amount of s-link 'points' per say needed to advance rank, having a matching persona increases the amount of points you recieve a fair amount and will reduce the amount of time you have to spend just doing the hanging out stuff. In general, try your best to stick to events that will advance in rank, as often times there are story events that will give you slink points for people who normally wouldn't be ready to advance (ala, doing well during midterms)

Don't skimp on events just because you don't like the character associated with it. Moon and Devil may be kind of poo poo links, but the exp boots you get from them are nice, and it's pretty easy to max out Devil since there normally isn't a whole lot else going on at night. You also have to do Hanged man in order to unlock the Sun Arcana.

On Sundays/days off, make sure you're not ignoring Hermit. That one takes a fair amount of time to do because you can normally only do it one day a week and only if you're not doing other Sunday events.

When you get to the point where you're dating the girls, try and cap them off as quick as possible as hanging out with other girls can make them go reverse and break the link. Once they are level 10 though, they're 'done' so to speak and you can talk to other girls freely without reversing the original girl. The math I heard was the once you start dating, you have to do something every 60 days, minus 15 for every girl you hang out with in the interim, or else they reverse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DarkHamsterlord posted:

edit: to respond to the above post, he says Emperor and Star are "must have" links, but you really don't need to worry about it if you aren't interested in maxing them out. You get good Personas from their links, but they're super unnecessary to beat the game so you don't have to worry about it unless you really want to be strong in the end game. The best way to play these games (on your first playthrough, at least) is to just go through doing whatever you're interested in without stressing about your schedule or maxing out specific links for their ultimate Personas.
I just meant to imply that doing pretty much anything besides going straight home every day meant that Rookersh was doing just fine. As for Emperor and Star, those are the only two where upon finishing the game I looked back and thought "Thank GOD I maxed those." Maxing Emperor probably shaved a good 10 hours of grinding off my run thanks to opening up Monad.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

I just meant to imply that doing pretty much anything besides going straight home every day meant that Rookersh was doing just fine. As for Emperor and Star, those are the only two where upon finishing the game I looked back and thought "Thank GOD I fused those."

Yeah, you get good Personas from them, I just wanted to emphasize that you really can't screw yourself over by not maxing a particular link, and I think it's more fun to not stress out about it and just do the links that you think are interesting.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
P3P is quickly becoming something I hate. Grind Monad to get my party up, spend hours fiddling for cards, spend more hours grinding out cards and modify all my personas for optimal setups... then find out I need to both grind a door boss for even more (random) items and grind Messiah's/Alilat's (random) heart items. This is all to survive a fight up to the point where I can wait for a random thing to happen. It's like rolling dice for the chance at rolling more dice. The fact that people complained when P4G left this bullshit out amazes me.

Strange Journey is probably the only other game in the franchise I'm interested in. Does it feature the same level of unavoidable RNG dickery?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The GIG posted:

You mean non visual novel.

And this is from someone who loves P4A.

It would be pretty sweet if they rounded out the P3/P4 characters with a final follow-up game that ties up all the loose ends from P4A weeeeee, possible Nyarlathotep. Takes place a year later. All the P4 guys are out of high school, so we can go on pseudo-adult adventures, a la P2. And it would give them the chance to reintroduce Fuuka, Junpei, Adachi, and a (P3 spoiler) no-longer-comatose Shinji. Hell, we could even have a massive Velvet Room reunion.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Mailer posted:

Strange Journey is probably the only other game in the franchise I'm interested in. Does it feature the same level of unavoidable RNG dickery?

Oh, no, Strange Journey hates you in an entirely non-random and deterministic way.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Mailer posted:

P3P is quickly becoming something I hate. Grind Monad to get my party up
If you're strong enough to unlock Monad and grind there, and you don't want to do that, why not just finish the game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Monad is really only there so you can power up for optional boss fights. If you don't want to do optional boss fights, then just play the game normally. Personas like Messiah, and grinding for heart items, are total overkill for just finishing the main game. The optional boss fights are just to give people who like grinding something to strive for.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ChaosArgate posted:

You're right; according to Siliconera, Kaneko's been replaced by the new character designer is the guy who did the design for Trauma Team. He's also the guy who redoes Kaneko's artwork on remakes of SMT games, presumably to market them to larger audiences because it's more appealing than the old porcelain doll-esque style.

I've never played the SMT series besides Devil Survivor and Persona, but I like Kanedo's art. There's something strangely ethereal and washed out vibe about the characters. It's a more grounded version of FF's Amano art.

I also like how the monsters aren't spikey black/gray Giger-inspired things like absolutely everything else.

Persona art is fairly perfunctory, it does what it needs to. It makes up in pure style and energetic animation. Devil Survivor's art is just bland.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cleretic posted:

Oh, no, Strange Journey hates you in an entirely non-random and deterministic way.

Aside from ~90 minutes spent XOXOing, I absolutely loved every minute of Nocturne hating me. This is good news. :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Moon Monster posted:

The boob factor in the Devil Survivor games is pretty ridiculous even by anime standards. It's kinda off-putting.

Oh, that artist has shitloads of problems when drawing ladies. The boobs are just the most obvious example. Also, this gives me another chance to post this image (I love posting this image):

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

Oh, that artist has shitloads of problems when drawing ladies. The boobs are just the most obvious example. Also, this gives me another chance to post this image (I love posting this image):

Considering that all the female NPC art looks fine, it might just be poor judgment instead.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Strange Quark posted:

Considering that all the female NPC art looks fine, it might just be poor judgment instead.

Which makes it even weirder, because sometimes his female art looks fine, but characters like Io and Makoto have very obviously broken backs, as an example.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's because it sells more merchandise :ssh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's because it sells more merchandise :ssh:

You can draw ladies with large boobs without also giving them broken backs though? :confused:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mailer posted:

Aside from ~90 minutes spent XOXOing, I absolutely loved every minute of Nocturne hating me. This is good news. :)

Strange Journey crosses the line that Nocturne straddled and ends up being a whole lotta bullshit.

...I sure hope SMT4 lets you distribute your stat points how you want instead of it being random.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

King of Solomon posted:

You can draw ladies with large boobs without also giving them broken backs though? :confused:

Yeah, pretty much. I wouldn't hate the designs as much if they actually looked good, they're just drawn really badly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, but for some reason a lot of people seem to like his weird anti grav tit style, considering he does it in literally every game he's been contracted to do art for. So he's just doing what obviously makes characters appealing to weird otaku.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes, but for some reason a lot of people seem to like his weird anti grav tit style, considering he does it in literally every game he's been contracted to do art for. So he's just doing what obviously makes characters appealing to weird otaku.

I just don't get otaku. I like large boobs as much as the next guy, but the way this guy does it just looks awful (and I can't not notice the shattered spines.) :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Phobophilia posted:

I've never played the SMT series besides Devil Survivor and Persona, but I like Kanedo's art. There's something strangely ethereal and washed out vibe about the characters. It's a more grounded version of FF's Amano art.

I also like how the monsters aren't spikey black/gray Giger-inspired things like absolutely everything else.

Persona art is fairly perfunctory, it does what it needs to. It makes up in pure style and energetic animation. Devil Survivor's art is just bland.

I feel the same way, I just adore Kazuma Kaneko's old art style for the franchise. The porcelain doll imagery is just so different compared to modern day JRPG art styles, which I always figured was kind of the point. SMT, Persona, and their various offshoots were all very abnormal when compared to the RPG du jour and the art reflected that. So I was really sad when the games from Persona 3 on adapted this more mainstream aesthetic, it was like losing part of that bizarro edge SMT had.

I honestly don't mind the art in SMT4 and Strange Journey though. It comes across to me as the missing link between Kaneko's painted porcelain dolls and Soejima's poppy super-vibrant anime cast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

I honestly don't mind the art in SMT4 and Strange Journey though. It comes across to me as the missing link between Kaneko's painted porcelain dolls and Soejima's poppy super-vibrant anime cast.

Agreed. I quite like both Soejima and Kaneko's stuff, but SJ and IV are this pretty cool little sweet-spot, for me.

Anti-grav-tit-man can gently caress off though, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.

AlternateNu posted:

It would be pretty sweet if they rounded out the P3/P4 characters with a final follow-up game that ties up all the loose ends from P4A weeeeee, possible Nyarlathotep. Takes place a year later. All the P4 guys are out of high school, so we can go on pseudo-adult adventures, a la P2. And it would give them the chance to reintroduce Fuuka, Junpei, Adachi, and a (P3 spoiler) no-longer-comatose Shinji. Hell, we could even have a massive Velvet Room reunion.

P3 spoilers. Isn't Shinji canonically dead?