Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's nothing compared to the mata leon. BJJ breeds a culture of animal cruelty.

Violence towards triangles are also a serious issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I call it the foot burrito and it works like a charm against little brothers before they get as big as you.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I remember someone in the b-league thread talking poo poo about rich clementi because he got caught in a toehold (in 2012!) and that he should retire because of that and solely that. Maybe there should be a technique thread or something with diagrams and arrows and the wrestler guys can post about the physics of the F5 or whatever.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

fatherdog posted:

It's not called anything, because competent grapplers don't bother with useless crap like that.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I don't understand how a bow and arrow can possibly be an effective tool in a grappling match.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CivilDisobedience posted:

Oh dear, the sting of being laughed at by somebody who doesn't know what a toehold is.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
How do you scarf choke someone when they're not wearing a scarf?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Without wishing to get into the obvious "do you even train", you should probably take a step back and wonder why everyone is laughing at you right now, not with you.

fake edit: When doing a baseball bat choke, should I be using wood or aluminium?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Oh dear, the sting of being laughed at by somebody who doesn't know what a toehold is.

I know what they are, I just don't know what you'd call them since you're already using the term 'toehold' to refer to a footlock variation.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Its not called anything because if you hold the toes you are doing the toehold wrong.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Ask Cort x Bomb what the toe breaker secret move is im sure there is a pro wrestling match where it worked

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

I know what they are, I just don't know what you'd call them since you're already using the term 'toehold' to refer to a footlock variation.

Severe Penalty (Small Joint Manipulation)

manyak posted:

Ask Cort x Bomb what the toe breaker secret move is im sure there is a pro wrestling match where it worked
This little piggy went to market...

Taratang fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 26, 2013

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Taratang posted:

Severe Penalty (Small Joint Manipulation)

Haven't seen many penalties given out in this tournament, how would that work?

v You're adorable

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 26, 2013

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Yeah they should definitely have given out penalties to some of those illegal submissions they did, like

Edit: Shame on sneaky edits.

Pooned fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 26, 2013

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

manyak posted:

Nah nobody does silly poo poo like that even in pro wrestling.

Maybe like when Raven broke Sick Boy or Scotty Riggs' fingers, but that's just called breaking a guy's fingers.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Jesus christ, stop digging yourself even deeper into a hole. Everyone, in BJJ or grappling or anything else calls what everyone else is referring to as a toehold. If your kung fu grappling class calls the guard a "baby monkey hold", it doesnt matter because literally EVERYONE ELSE calls it the guard. Same goes with this one. gently caress me, Im just a white belt who doesnt do anything below the legs yet and even I know this.

Man up, stop saving face and admit you were wrong.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
People seem to be getting really defensive about this misnomer, why is that?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Because you are being an idiot.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

No one's being defensive, we are mocking you because you are saying extremely stupid things.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
^Go ahead, no skin off my back. You do seem kinda defensive though.

Why do you think I'm being an idiot for not adopting this terminology when you don't even have a word for the sub I learned as a toehold, and I already have a clearer name for the sub you learned as a toehold?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 26, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

^Go ahead, no skin off my back.

Why do you guys think I'm being an idiot for not adopting this terminology when you don't even have a word for the sub I learned as a toehold, and I already have a clearer name for the sub you learned as a toehold?

Because the entire rest of the grappling world calls the sub we learned as a toehold a toehold, and the sub you learned as a toehold is garbage that won't work on any competent grappler and therefore isn't really worth having a word for.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Lol. What makes you think you're qualified to speak on the entire rest of the grappling world?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lol. What makes you think you're qualified to speak on the entire rest of the grappling world?

The fact that absolutely everyone except you agrees on the name. As far as I can see, it's you vs the entire rest of the grappling world.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just chiming in to say yes to the rest of the thread and no to three little pigs.

Also a bjj brown belt can basically speak for all grapplers everywhere.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

You don't have to take my word for it; walk into any grappling gym in the country and ask them what a toehold is. I'll wager you won't get someone talking about the incredible danger of bending a dude's toes down.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
He wouldn't even have to put out that kind of effort. 5 seconds on google or wikipedia would do it.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Well this is how it was taught to me, I didn't just make it up, so there are obviously gyms I could choose where you would lose that wager. But everyone thought the world was flat at one point too, so that bandwagon thing isn't really very persuasive, you know?

E: What's important to me is that it seems like I've got you at a disadvantage with techniques in my toolkit that you don't have words for. If I subbed you with my kind of toehold would you have to call yourself incompetent to maintain that it doesn't work on competent grapplers?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 27, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Well this is how it was taught to me, I didn't just make it up, so there are obviously gyms I could choose where you would lose that wager. But everyone thought the world was flat at one point too, so that bandwagon thing isn't really very persuasive, you know?

E: What's important to me is that it seems like I've got you at a disadvantage with techniques in my toolkit that you don't have words for. If I subbed you with my kind of toehold would you have to call yourself incompetent?

I would call anyone who tapped to getting their toes bent downward incompetent, and I would call someone who actually considers that move a "technique in [their] toolkit" to be an inept idiot whose opinions on grappling should be ignored by anyone aspiring to any level of actual skill.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Well, you can try that, but it's not a very effective defense. You're angry now, but just think how mad you'll be when some 'incompetent' grappler breaks your toes while you try to figure out how to penalize them in a no score format.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

You're angry now

No, I'm extremely amused.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
That's interesting, cause mocking (your word) comes from a place of contempt. You sure you're not mad and in serious denial?

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

You sure you're not mad and in serious denial?

Dude take a breath and realize how asinine your posts have been, start with this quote.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

E: What's important to me is that it seems like I've got you at a disadvantage with techniques in my toolkit that you don't have words for.

No start with this one.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Guys what's the best martial art for self defense?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

That's interesting, cause mocking (your word) comes from a place of contempt.

Contempt is an appropriate response to someone incompetent attempting to lecture their betters. It doesn't actually require someone to be angry.

(it's going to be awesome when you start c+p-ing the dictionary definition of contempt now)

quote:

You sure you're not mad and in serious denial?

Yep, pretty sure.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Who tried to lecture? Look again at this post that you found so offensive

Also I don't know if there's any honor in a format like this but personally I cringe every time someone goes for a toehold. That poo poo's just weak IMO

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 27, 2013

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I know this is an AWFUL idea, but somebody please organize the Goon Kumite.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
toeholds and by extension leg locks in general are just sick as hell and make me hard whenever I see someone pull them off in high level competition.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Guys what's the best martial art for self defense?

Systema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
And fdog, that attempt to justify your contemptuous attitude sounds like the talk of a pompous rear end to me. 'Lecturing your betters' lol. Who talks like that? Especially to someone they've never met.