Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
First time I ever got on a bike I managed to highside off it while pretty much stationary. It was a CBR125R.

I've gotten better since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I dropped the MSF bike because the kickstand was broken (Honda Nighthawk). I dropped my 250 the day I installed my frame sliders. In the garage. The first time I took it off of the rear stand with frame sliders installed. I dropped my 250 again the first time I rode in the gravel parking lot at work (*actually the first time I used the front brake in the gravel parking lot at work). I also dropped my friend's SV650 when he took me out for a mini MSF before I took mine in Cali. It was standing still at the time. :smith:

I'm better now.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I dropped my 750 Shadow at 0mph going into a stop in a gravel driveway. Almost dropped it in similar situations a couple of other times. Almost dropped it once taking it off the center stand while not straddling it, but had help from nearby riders who immediately informed me that I had just done a stupid thing, and almost dropping the bike was evidence of it.

My wife has been riding for about a year longer and has never dropped a bike at any speed, but there was one occasion where she stopped too hard in a parking lot and leaned the bike way over. Leaving a sore back and arms for the next couple dies from fighting it back upright from a falling over position.

+1 on the first bike being lightweight and ratty as hell. Dumb poo poo like this happens to almost everybody starting out. We both had minor experience riding before getting our own bikes, and both had driven manual cars before as well. We took the MSF together and both were the type that 'just got it' without any significant struggles.

This is why people so strongly advocate the 250's and other such for starting out. If you decide you don't need to do that, just recognize that you're betting (about $4-10k) on yourself being the exception rather than the rule.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Despite having two+ years of riding dropping experience under my belt, I'm terrified of upgrading to a bigger bike because I'll probably drop it. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The other thing is the amount of lean it takes to get a Ninja 250 to the point of no return is much lower than on heavier bike with a higher center of gravity.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

As a tall man with a high in-seam, I never have to worry about dropping a bike. :smug:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My bike fell over in my driveway last year while I was trying to open the garage door.

I lifted it back up myself.

It's a 250 rebel that weighs 300lbs. :clint:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

As a tall man with a high in-seam, I never have to worry about dropping a bike. :smug:

Even when you rear end your friend.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, you were both using protection, right?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A few days after getting my first (and current) bike, I was backing it downhill into the garage and hit some small debris my dad had left out on the floor.
I completely would have dropped it, except that I fell up against our pool table thus saving my rear end :downs:

In the interest of pictures for a picture thread and for relevant pool table layout, my biek:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm the rusted out WW2 era gas can inches away from a wool blanket.

Great bike! The exhaust wrap looks really well done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Heh. :smug:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

hayden. posted:

Shall I tell you how many feet away the "miscellaneous ammo crate" is? Or maybe about my dad's habit of setting down his cigar in insano-garage, and losing track of where he put it?

Thanks, I took my time with the wrap and it turned out well. When new-tire time comes around I want to get the wheels powdercoated black, and probably get some whitewalls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I keep my surplus 60s rifles inches away from my surplus 60s ammo connected with a trail of lighter fluid/rye whiskey

Edit: I'm not joking

mostly

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Oh my... Where the hell is the ride report??

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

NO WAY

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's one of those electric bikes yeah? Review?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Say it ain't so! Detailed report obligatory.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So it really loving happened huh...

Let's overclock it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ride report: IT SOUNDS LIKE A TIE FIGHTER!

Will post more about it later...it's my housemate's bike. I've ridden the demo and an early prototype but the final version apparently has some changes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

hayden. posted:

Does the blanket post here too?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Zool posted:

Does the blanket post here too?

sup

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Will post more about it later...

Consider my cock teased.

I'm also curious to see how the upcoming Zero models compare. I know you weren't keen on the current ones but Zero is evolving it's product line quite quickly and there is an opinion in the e-Bike community that Brammo (while they have a good product currently) are beginning to stagnate design & development wise.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Visuals of the winter mod list completed (grips, turn signal bar ends, throttle lock, stainless steel throttle/return lines, engine gaurds, custom cut and padded seat). A quick pic before getting it on a jack and taking the forks apart for cartridge emulators and straight rate springs. Hopefully by the time I finish the suspension and my posi-taps arrive to finish wiring those bar-ends there will be some fair weather around.

Yeah, gently caress snow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, first up is the 1979 Honda CM400T I bought this morning for $826. (Paging Z3n and nsaP from the "Tell me what bike to buy!" thread) Guy was asking $1000, but because the tach cable had come loose last night he offered to drop $150 and I couldn't argue... and then I only had hundreds, except for $26 in small bills, so there we go.

The rear-view mirrors are absolutely worthless, since I can't seem to get them to show anything except the ground 10 feet behind me. I'm also not a huge fan of the handlebars, so I'm considering some clubmans or something like that.

I shouldn't leave out my primary ride, the 2010 Triumph Bonneville.

Here it is with the Corbin seat that came with it when I bought the bike:

And then with the stock seat I've been using more often:

Packed for my trip to Portland:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Took a quick trip to a state park in the Portland area today. You guys are probably sick of pictures of my ZX-14 but I'm not. It was wet and cold out like always.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Jesus, do you think you've got enough lights on that thing?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Dual lows, dual highs, and dual running lights. I don't know if the lows are angled down too much or if they just suck, but I can't see as far at night as you would expect. The highs are pretty crazy powerful though.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

hayden. posted:

Dual lows, dual highs, and dual running lights. I don't know if the lows are angled down too much or if they just suck, but I can't see as far at night as you would expect. The highs are pretty crazy powerful though.

Last I recall of the ZX-14, the highs were as good as they were on the 'busa. A few hundred meters down the road, things are easily visible. Always liked that, made eating the kms at night really easy.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My bike, outfitted just the way I want it, even the single mirror. I decided to toss the idea of aftermarket exhaust out the window and just replace the stock muffler with another, pristine, stock muffler I found on CL. One thing left to do is bar risers.

The lunacy of not having ridden for two weeks is setting in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:smuggo::respek::smuggo: Sup One-mirror-naked-conversion-stock-exhaust-japanese-I4 bro

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like this picture because it looks like you have a single large chicken strip in the middle of your tire. :wooper:

Polaris_Echoes
Dec 6, 2009

Got a 1993 Yamaha Seca II for $300 dollars as my first bike. This picture isn't mine but it looks exactly like this one, including that exhaust. Turned over and ran briefly when I bought it, I have the carbs cleaned and I'm working on getting the last bits of rust out of the tank. Can't wait.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nice. Dings and scratches, cheap bike, docile motor - if you can get it going dependably, you got a good first ride.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I hope to own a few hundred dollar running bike one day just so I can ride the poo poo out of it and not constantly worrying about dinging it up or it getting stolen.

Polaris_Echoes
Dec 6, 2009

hayden. posted:

I hope to own a few hundred dollar running bike one day just so I can ride the poo poo out of it and not constantly worrying about dinging it up or it getting stolen.

I'm still going to worry about it. :ohdear:

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
2008 CB400 HYPERVTECREVOSUPERFOUR

First bike, love it to bits

Idly dreaming about getting something bigger and badder when I get my unrestricted license but it would have to be a really REALLY cool bike to be worth the switch

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is fantastic, almost too nice for a first bike. I'm pretty jealous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sigh. Another awesome-looking bike that the 'murrican market is too snotty to even consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Sigh. Another awesome-looking bike that the 'murrican market is too snotty to even consider.

What do you need a tiny bike like that for anyway? 400cc? Practically a scooter, you pussy!*

*studio re-enactment