Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
You are being petty in semantics, but then again the actual court ruling was also petty in semantics, so it's probably appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Point out that the ruling itself tosses out the Constitution. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/business/court-rejects-recess-appointments-to-labor-board.html?_r=0 It goes far beyond Obama's "You're in recess, even if not technically" thing. The ruling effectively gets rid of recess appointments entirely, because the Constitution was written when it could take weeks for Senators to arrive in Washington from farflung colonies.

E: Also, point out that it's an appeals court ruling, which will be appealed also. It means nothing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I would be correct in saying it's the Supreme Court that truly decides what is Constitutional right? I just want to make sure before I finish this post.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SalTheBard posted:

I would be correct in saying it's the Supreme Court that truly decides what is Constitutional right? I just want to make sure before I finish this post.

Correct. The Supreme Court's job is to interpret law as it applies to the Constitution, which is why a case before them is so important because whichever way they vote is the final say on the matter.

The appeals court ruling is meaningless because if it goes to the SC, they will just point out Article II and the case will be over.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

SalTheBard posted:

They are the final say for the entire nation on what is or isn't law, but they're not the only say. Things have to work up the chain to them. At this moment, people in different federal court districts can and are living under different constitutional law. For example, one district court I believe has ruled the police can search the cell phones of people being arrested without a warrant, another has ruled the opposite. Both those rulings stand in their districts until appealed to circuit courts, or SCOTUS can decide to take up the case if the appeals process reaches them and possibly set a national legal standard.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
That ruling appears to say that almost every recess appointment since 1820 has been illegal. I have a feeling that's the sort of thing the Supreme Court would rule on.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

XyloJW posted:

That ruling appears to say that almost every recess appointment since 1820 has been illegal. I have a feeling that's the sort of thing the Supreme Court would rule on.

Actually, only a strategically selected three judge panel of the DC circuit heard it, it's entirely likely that when the case returns to be heard en banc by the whole group of the circuit court judges, they will overturn the panel's ruling.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BrotherAdso posted:

Actually, only a strategically selected three judge panel of the DC circuit heard it, it's entirely likely that when the case returns to be heard en banc by the whole group of the circuit court judges, they will overturn the panel's ruling.

It's also entirely likely it won't be covered with nearly the same fervor by the media. Therefore it is unconstitutional now and forever as far as anyone is concerned on facebook.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Well, my mom posted this on my wall:

Not very interesting, but I noticed at the top it said this was "far right of left's" photo. So I checked out the facebook page it came from:
http://www.facebook.com/FarRightOfLeft

This is the header:

My mom is mostly a-political, but she leans hard left on most subjects. For example, she loves Obama, she is all for gay rights and most dramatically she believes in a 100% tax for anyone making over 10 million dollars a year. I have no idea how she could go to a page like that and not realize that they do not agree with her opinions. Does anyone else know someone like this?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The way Facebook works, she probably never went to the page. A friend probably shared it, and she shared it from them. Sometimes it credits the person shared from, sometimes it credits the source, depending on what format it was originally posted.

I'll often tease my mother-in-law, because she's very business-oriented on Facebook and never curses. Every now and then, she'll share a picture of a kitten or something, and not notice it's tagged to "loving FUNNY PICTURES" or something.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
A friend got into an argument with these fuckheads on facebook:-

https://www.facebook.com/HeterosInspiringPride

Apparently there is a gay agenda that doesn't let them be bigots any more. Bless.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Mr Darcy posted:

Apparently there is a gay agenda that doesn't let them be bigots any more. Bless.

Love and Tolerance? Huh. I'll bet it's pretty hard out there for a conservative brony.

Other than that the message is pretty funny. Tolerate my intolerance of your intolerance for my intolerance!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mr Darcy posted:

"You can't hate us just because we hate you. That's like a reverse hate crime."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mr Darcy posted:

Holy gently caress, you found a goldmine of playing the victim. The images are just a non-stop deluge of terrible memes, horrible "quotes" (I couldn't find anything about Morgan Freeman and "heterophobia" despite the image saying so), appeals to authority and so on. At first I was amused by how terrible they were, then a bit peeved. Then I got to this image:

gently caress you homosexual adoptive parents you don't get the special happiness we have. :suicide:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
What's that, people who made a conscious educated decision to bring a child in to your life? I'm sorry, you'll never understand love and happiness the way a couple of teenagers who accidentally got pregnant after the prom do.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Mo_Steel posted:

gently caress you homosexual adoptive parents you don't get the special happiness we have. :suicide:

Hell, this is a big "gently caress you" even to heterosexual adoptive parents, since it specifies "a child they made together".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They'll also never know the magic of aborting a fetus because they made a conscious educated decision not to have a child. But possibly due to medical complications if they do that invetro stuff.

And even then it won't be the same.

e:

Mornacale posted:

Hell, this is a big "gently caress you" even to heterosexual adoptive parents, since it specifies "a child they made together".

haha.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mornacale posted:

It also implies that all births are made out of love.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Holy gently caress, you found a goldmine of playing the victim. The images are just a non-stop deluge of terrible memes, horrible "quotes" (I couldn't find anything about Morgan Freeman and "heterophobia" despite the image saying so), appeals to authority and so on. At first I was amused by how terrible they were, then a bit peeved. Then I got to this image:

Why is the kid Buddhist? The message is clearly Christian (although still misguided as angels are inferior to and less loved by God than humans), so why is the kid in saffron robes?

Man, gently caress you, homophobic facebook images.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

KillerJunglist posted:

Why is the kid Buddhist? The message is clearly Christian (although still misguided as angels are inferior to and less loved by God than humans), so why is the kid in saffron robes?

Man, gently caress you, homophobic facebook images.

The waiting list for souls waiting for reincarnation as a human is really backed up. A lot of the time, people who are karmicly entitled to reincarnate as a human have to settle for being an ox or something. It's your duty to produce as many human bodies as you can for these souls, so if you're a homo, buck up and get to it with a member of the opposite sex.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I got some dogwhistle racism in my inbox the other day, haven't really had the chance to read it over until now.

The person who sent it to my is my aunt, who's pretty smart actually (she's a biologist), but she's suffering from multiple sclerosis. I can't help but wonder if racism is a symptom of MS.

Some formatting (highlighted/bold/underline text) is lost but who cares

quote:

The new breadwinner in the family

An emergency room physician told me that a woman in
her late 20's came to the ER today with her 8thpregnancy.

She told the first doctor she saw: "My Mama told me that
I am the breadwinner for the family."
He asked her to explain. She said that she can make
babies, and babies get money from the State for
the family. It goes like this:

The Grandma calls the Department of Child &
Family Services, and states that the unemployed
daughter is not capable of caring for all of her kids.

DCFS agrees, and tells her the
children will need to go into foster care.

The Grandma then volunteers to be
the foster parent, and receives a check for
$1500 per child each month in Illinois .

Total yearly income:
$144,000 tax-free and nobody has to go to work!

In fact, they get more if there is
no husband/father/man in the home!

Not to mention free healthcare (Medicaid),
plus a monthly card entitling them to
free groceries and a voucher for
250 free Obamaphone minutes each month.
This does not include WIC and other
welfare benefits that they are "entitled" to.

Indeed, Grandma was correct that her fertile daughter
is the "breadwinner" for the family.

This is how the liberal politicians spend our tax dollars.
When this generous program was invented in the '60s,
the Great Society architects forgot to craft an end date...
and now we are hopelessly overrun with people who vote
only for those who will continue to keep them on the dole.

No wonder our country is broke!

Worse, the Muslims have been paying attention, and by mandating that each Muslim family have eleven children, they will soon replace the voting bloc above and can be running this country within 25 years. Read the above again, until it sinks in, and then ask yourself if your Children, Grandchildren, and Great Grandchildren will survive these severe changes to America !

Are You alarmed yet? Is anybody listening?

Is this a GREAT COUNTRY or what?

Don't forget to pay your taxes!

There are a lot of "breadwinners"
depending on you!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Posted by a gun nut I know...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm trying to explain progressive taxation to a lolbertarian on Facebook. How is this explanation?

quote:

Say you have a flat income tax of 20%, and a post-tax living wage of $40k a year for two adults and one kid. You have one family that brings in $45k a year pretax and another that brings in $100k pretax. The one bringing in $100k after 20% tax has $80k, still double the living wage, but the one bringing in $45k now has $36k, $4k below the living wage. They both paid the same percentage, but the $45k family was affected much more heavily, and might have to go without heat in the winter, or cut down on food, etc. Now in a progressive taxation situation, say 10% on the $45k family and 30% on the $100k family, the $45k family has $40.5k and the $100k family has $70k. This time both families are above a living wage and the state has brought in more money. Sure the $100k family might have to wait a couple more months more to get a new car, but compared to the $45k family going hungry or cold that's really not that much of a sacrifice. So to sum it up, the closer you are to the poverty line, the more important a single dollar is in keeping you away from it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm trying to explain progressive taxation to a lolbertarian on Facebook. How is this explanation?

Be prepared for the "lower wage earners need to live within their means" response.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Be prepared for the "lower wage earners need to live within their means" response.

That's when you reply with . Kind of hard to live within your means when your means won't allow you to live at all.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Argh hell, my band leader just posted the "and that student was Albert Einstein"story (entirely in Chinese but it was pretty easy to spot as it keeps the giant chalkboard image). What page is the rebuttal on?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, I'm scared... I think Facebook is leaking:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

I got some dogwhistle racism in my inbox the other day, haven't really had the chance to read it over until now.

The person who sent it to my is my aunt, who's pretty smart actually (she's a biologist), but she's suffering from multiple sclerosis. I can't help but wonder if racism is a symptom of MS.

You know, if it's so easy and glamorous life to live on welfare, then more people would do it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
No one has parsed the fact that Clinton's welfare reform happened. They're still using the exact same racist southern strategy poo poo they did before it happened.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I would also add that the tax rate itself is not complex at all. In the US, that "complexity" is literally seven lines of text http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Marginal_tax_rates_for_2013

Instead, what makes the tax code take up thousands of pages is discussion over exactly what income should be taxed and what shouldn't. And since there are powerful special interests behind every single tax deduction, there is absolutely no way you can get rid of those without pissing off every single person in the country, most of them several times over.

So even if you did introduce a nonprogressive tax, all you'd accomplish is to boil those 7 lines down into 1, and the rest of the thousand pages of tax code would be left exactly as they were before.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

http://m.factcheck.org/2010/05/a-mythical-florida-mom-and-other-false-claims-about-immigrants/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CheesyDog posted:

So thats why the Vietnam war failed, we should've disarmed them all first and THEN conquered them

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

Argh hell, my band leader just posted the "and that student was Albert Einstein"story (entirely in Chinese but it was pretty easy to spot as it keeps the giant chalkboard image). What page is the rebuttal on?

Just respond "你懵"。

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had already said that flat taxes hurt the poor more than progressive taxes and he asked me how. Like, he didn't even get the basic concept. That was my response to explain how.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

http://sa.peteyproductions.net/effort/2011/08/24/how-are-taxes-formed-marginal-income-tax-rates-educational-thread/

I always just link them to that and let them read an excellent primer written by Petey.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
If he is unable or unwilling to understand/accept the marginal utility of the dollar you're going to have trouble making any headway.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste

CheesyDog posted:

Have you ever been to Missouri? I swear half the billboards here could be posted in this thread.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

pug wearing a hat posted:

Have you ever been to Missouri? I swear half the billboards here could be posted in this thread.

I moved here from oregon 3 years ago and I hate this loving place.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

That's when you reply with . Kind of hard to live within your means when your means won't allow you to live at all.

Help me out here, I don't understand. It can't be saying you have to work 138 hours a week to live in New Jersey.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Wow, that's a whole lotta made up poo poo for one fwd:fwd:fwd email. Nice of them to include so many things that old white republicans are scared of tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pug wearing a hat posted:

I'm from Tennessee... this one caught my eye as it was the first time I'd seen a 12-foot-tall glowing Hitler overlooking the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant.