Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, gently caress you. I'm jealous as poo poo and Sprint's probably going to get bought by Verizon before putting LTE in Omaha.

But that would never happ..... Oh, I see what you did there!

If you have a Sprint signal now, you will eventually have LTE, in theory no later than 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, gently caress you. I'm jealous as poo poo and Sprint's probably going to get bought by Verizon before putting LTE in Omaha.

Dude, seriously. Just switch to Straight Talk AT&T or something. Yes Omaha will see LTE, no it won't be before 2014. Even WITH LTE, they'll be slow with updates, they're never seeing another Nexus device so you'd be forced to give up the Galaxy Nexus sooner or later, and their prices aren't going to get better by any means.

You're in the same situation I was, I'd just switch and not look back right now. If you don't like Straight Talk, switch back. But, honestly, Sprint is too expensive right now to sit with bad 3G and wait for a year or more.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ender.uNF posted:

But that would never happ..... Oh, I see what you did there!

If you have a Sprint signal now, you will eventually have LTE, in theory no later than 2014.

When I have LTE coverage on Sprint I'm buying a Tablet that is LTE capable and life will be grand. (As long as Sprint keeps unlimited data) [If they don't it will be the largest punch in the sack, ever]

I was half tempted to buy a Samsung Note 10.1 on Verizon, but then realized what I want to do with it would put me over the data limit in no time.

Krime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 25, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tablet plans on Sprint aren't unlimited data.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

td4guy posted:

Tablet plans on Sprint aren't unlimited data.

Oh... drat. Never looked into it, just figured they were.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Krime posted:

Oh... drat. Never looked into it, just figured they were.
Nope, tablets and hotspots/aircards have limited plans. Only the phone data is unlimited.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Dude, seriously. Just switch to Straight Talk AT&T or something. Yes Omaha will see LTE, no it won't be before 2014. Even WITH LTE, they'll be slow with updates, they're never seeing another Nexus device so you'd be forced to give up the Galaxy Nexus sooner or later, and their prices aren't going to get better by any means.

You're in the same situation I was, I'd just switch and not look back right now. If you don't like Straight Talk, switch back. But, honestly, Sprint is too expensive right now to sit with bad 3G and wait for a year or more.

Thanks coach :v: I'm working on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Allaniis posted:

What's so bad about it? I'm thinking about getting the Virgin Mobile version (EVO V) for my dad as an MP3 and internet/e-mail device. No calls, so I don't really care about lovely mobile radios.

That "lovely mobile radio" you don't care about is also what you depend on to get data. Even on Sprint's laughable Phoenix 3G network, my wife's iPhone 5 smokes my Evo 3D handily.

Also, the 3D is a gimmick and the touchscreen is meh at best and apparently really goes flaky after long enough. Mine also has a wonderful habit of shutting off randomly at any point when it's reporting battery under 10%. Could make it to 7%, could be 4%, who knows!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

That "lovely mobile radio" you don't care about is also what you depend on to get data. Even on Sprint's laughable Phoenix 3G network, my wife's iPhone 5 smokes my Evo 3D handily.

Also, the 3D is a gimmick and the touchscreen is meh at best and apparently really goes flaky after long enough. Mine also has a wonderful habit of shutting off randomly at any point when it's reporting battery under 10%. Could make it to 7%, could be 4%, who knows!

The Evo 3D quite simply just has multiple hardware problems. Not even delving into software problems. Stay away from the Evo 3D.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

The Evo 3D quite simply just has multiple hardware problems. Not even delving into software problems. Stay away from the Evo 3D.

I liked my 3D when I first got it, but after a year I wanted to throw it against a wall. Repeatedly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I had my 3D for less than a year - got both it and the GNex within a week or two of release on Sprint. The 3D is a poo poo phone and the battery cover likes to flex as you're taking it off, causing the red border around the stupid double camera to bend because they made that poo poo out of tinfoil.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

And I was so excited when I had three warranty replacements on my EVO 4G and got a choice of upgrade to a Nexus S or an EVO 3D and I took the 3D. Holy poo poo was that a mistake. I don't miss that phone at all. I pity the poor bastard that bought it off me on Craigslist.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

brc64 posted:

I liked my 3D when I first got it, but after a year I wanted to throw it against a wall. Repeatedly.

FWIW, it only took one throw for mine to be neutralized.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Ah yeah, I totally neglected to get into those. Despite being a flagship phone, Sprint took for-loving-ever to get it up to ICS, will never upgrade it to JB, and you're getting ICS with a nice steaming pile of Sense crapped all over it anyway. The developer community for it is nearly non-existent due to a level of infighting and douchebaggery that's rarely seen, so even though the hardware specs are theoretically beefy as hell, CM10 is a crapshoot.

I am counting the days until I can upgrade to either an iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, or a Note II.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I took my EVO3D to the corporate store, and addressed my issues to the tech rep. He didn't exactly look surprised, and seemed to know that the EVO3D tongue-kisses my poo poo hole as a phone. But he said he had to try fixing it first, so he ordered me a new digitizer, and I take it back in tomorrow.

Although he seemed to hint at the fact that it was a difficult phone to work on, and that he might actually break it by trying to fix it.

Here's to hoping. Although they will probably just try to give me a different EVO3D after they break mine anyway.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yup, the Evo 3D is terrible. My last HTC phone, and my last non nexus phone. The CM10 builds gave me hope but they're just so glitchy and unstable.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

blargle posted:

Yup, the Evo 3D is terrible. My last HTC phone, and my last non nexus phone. The CM10 builds gave me hope but they're just so glitchy and unstable.

Agreed but have you tried dastins CM10/10.1?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Wonderllama posted:

Although he seemed to hint at the fact that it was a difficult phone to work on, and that he might actually break it by trying to fix it.
I don't even replace the digitizers anymore unless I happen to have the whole digitizer/LCD as one unit. Which is a part that Sprint theoretically ships out (though it's been on backorder as long as I've known it existed) or I can swap off one that's going back to the warehouse for some non-screen related failure.

The way it's designed, you have to get the LCD out to get to the cable for the digitizer. The LCD is basically taped to a piece of metal, and there's only a very small hole on the back to try and work the tape out from. End result is that at some point it'll get pressure in the wrong spot and shatter.

At this point if I don't have the part, I just offer to switch them to the EVO LTE. The refurbished 3Ds are just as bad, if not worse.

And yes, I used the 3D for a while myself. My screen never got really bad, but I had to turn it off and on to make it work from time to time. Glad I got my Galaxy S3 before it went out.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on the EVO 3D (and the LG G2x for that matter). Though I will say after dumping my E4GT thanks to some janky CM10 builds and switching to a used Galaxy Nexus with AOKP, the difference is night and day. My next phone will definitely be a Nexus even if I have to go back to T-Mobile (though looks like they've gotten their poo poo together better than Sprint recently).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I don't even replace the digitizers anymore unless I happen to have the whole digitizer/LCD as one unit. Which is a part that Sprint theoretically ships out (though it's been on backorder as long as I've known it existed) or I can swap off one that's going back to the warehouse for some non-screen related failure.

The way it's designed, you have to get the LCD out to get to the cable for the digitizer. The LCD is basically taped to a piece of metal, and there's only a very small hole on the back to try and work the tape out from. End result is that at some point it'll get pressure in the wrong spot and shatter.

At this point if I don't have the part, I just offer to switch them to the EVO LTE. The refurbished 3Ds are just as bad, if not worse.

And yes, I used the 3D for a while myself. My screen never got really bad, but I had to turn it off and on to make it work from time to time. Glad I got my Galaxy S3 before it went out.

Back in November my indirect repair center at the time had decent stock coming in of the 3D LCD unit. Only issue was there were so many issue units we kept running out. I would be swapping people like crazy to the LTE.

FYI everyone, the Evo LTE can be swapped for a galaxy S3...

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Agreed but have you tried dastins CM10/10.1?

Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. I don't blame the developer though, all AOSP roms for the E3D have the same issues.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

TVs Ian posted:

My screen never got really bad, but I had to turn it off and on to make it work from time to time. Glad I got my Galaxy S3 before it went out.

I thought this was because when my boyfriend replaced my screen because I broke it, he did it wrong. Are you telling me it's just the 3D being dumb?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have a launch day evo 3d (that I was happy to replace a pre with..man am I not good at phone choices) and I've been dealing with the horrible digitizer failure thing that everyone has for at least 6 months at this point, maybe longer. It's on the first hboot that had a root exploit because root means I can use roam control which has saved my rear end more then once. I managed to update it twice without updating the hboot, but stopped at the ICS update because of complaints I was reading, and the fact that everything I needed worked (besides the horrible touchscreen) so why tempt fate?

My upgrade hits in march, and I was thinking it'd be silly to go into another 2 years at the end of this gens lifecycle, but that means I'm looking at another 5 months at least of fighting with this evo3d until I can pick up an SG4 or whatever the next evo will be. I also didn't want to get a replacement with a non exploitable hboot, though I stopped paying attention so this could be a non issue at this point.

It sounds like they would swap me to a Evo LTE? Is this common now? I could easily ride that phone out until q3-q4. Also, is the LTE rootable? I don't care about locked or unlocked bootloaders, I stay stock.

I have tep, and there's no damage to the phone at all. The touchscreen does what it wants about 50% of the time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zer0spunk posted:

I have a launch day evo 3d (that I was happy to replace a pre with..man am I not good at phone choices) and I've been dealing with the horrible digitizer failure thing that everyone has for at least 6 months at this point, maybe longer. It's on the first hboot that had a root exploit because root means I can use roam control which has saved my rear end more then once. I managed to update it twice without updating the hboot, but stopped at the ICS update because of complaints I was reading, and the fact that everything I needed worked (besides the horrible touchscreen) so why tempt fate?

My upgrade hits in march, and I was thinking it'd be silly to go into another 2 years at the end of this gens lifecycle, but that means I'm looking at another 5 months at least of fighting with this evo3d until I can pick up an SG4 or whatever the next evo will be. I also didn't want to get a replacement with a non exploitable hboot, though I stopped paying attention so this could be a non issue at this point.

It sounds like they would swap me to a Evo LTE? Is this common now? I could easily ride that phone out until q3-q4. Also, is the LTE rootable? I don't care about locked or unlocked bootloaders, I stay stock.

I have tep, and there's no damage to the phone at all. The touchscreen does what it wants about 50% of the time.

You are going to be absolutely shocked at how light other phones are. HTC must have taken a page from the Xbox design notes and built a steel plate into their phones.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
It does make the phone pretty indestructible though, I've dropped mine face down on rough concrete from elbow height a few times without a scratch.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
The S3 has a metal plate the length of the phone but I would assume its aluminum.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Giblet posted:

The S3 has a metal plate the length of the phone but I would assume its aluminum.

Where? The entire back plate is plastic and the motherboard plate is all plastic also...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rumor is they stopped swapping 3Ds for the LTE, so luck of the draw at this point I would say.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Rumor is they stopped swapping 3Ds for the LTE, so luck of the draw at this point I would say.

When are they going to let me out?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Come on, man! You're not even trying. Go stream some Netflix or HD Youtube and get back to us in another billing cycle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goku chewbacca posted:

Come on, man! You're not even trying. Go stream some Netflix or HD Youtube and get back to us in another billing cycle.

Yeah but that's only 3 days of use :v:

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

SeaborneClink posted:

Where? The entire back plate is plastic and the motherboard plate is all plastic also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70-W9JjVjg

click toward the end where he is cleaning it off. There is the tell tale glimmer of metal on the portions he scratches up.

On an unrelated note my last day as a Sprint employee is next Sunday. Then off to start a new life as a business analyst. I'm quite excited.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 27, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70-W9JjVjg

click toward the end where he is cleaning it off. There is the tell tale glimmer of metal on the portions he scratches up.

On an unrelated note my last day as a Sprint employee is next Sunday. Then off to start a new life as a business analyst. I'm quite excited.

Nice dude. Congrats on not only leaving, but getting out of wireless!

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice dude. Congrats on not only leaving, but getting out of wireless!

Wireless is where the money is...(No, really)

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yikes. I could handle radio issues, but screen failures and random reboots would end up with me being endless phone tech support for my parents.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Well that's annoying. Took my phone to a Sprint store to get checked out/replaced today. Luckily my phone was actually having the random problem with the microphone while they were looking at it. I ask about other comparable options since they said they'd replace it and I was about to get my 4th Evo3D.

They were another Evo3D, Evo4G, Evo Shift, or Samsung Epic. I figured he meant Epic Touch which I'd be fine with, so I asked. He said nope, the first one. Then I asked if there was a way to get something different, and the manager said try calling *2.

So I did that and over nearly 20 minutes the rep took some very detailed notes and eventually came back saying that they'd only replace it with those same options. Even if I keep getting phones with issues.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

uapyro posted:

Well that's annoying. Took my phone to a Sprint store to get checked out/replaced today. Luckily my phone was actually having the random problem with the microphone while they were looking at it. I ask about other comparable options since they said they'd replace it and I was about to get my 4th Evo3D.

They were another Evo3D, Evo4G, Evo Shift, or Samsung Epic. I figured he meant Epic Touch which I'd be fine with, so I asked. He said nope, the first one. Then I asked if there was a way to get something different, and the manager said try calling *2.

So I did that and over nearly 20 minutes the rep took some very detailed notes and eventually came back saying that they'd only replace it with those same options. Even if I keep getting phones with issues.

You could ask what other options are on the list but currently back ordered. We used to be able to view this in eticket not sure if they still can.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

You could ask what other options are on the list but currently back ordered. We used to be able to view this in eticket not sure if they still can.

They should still offer it as an option even is its back ordered though correct? From my understanding pretty much it's the options on eticket or nothing, and with a back ordered phone the main issue is it just takes longer.

So yeah, anyone with a 3D may have missed the window. They always could start offering the swap again, but usually they don't unfortunately. And yes it's crazy they won't swap for an epic touch or photon.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

They should still offer it as an option even is its back ordered though correct? From my understanding pretty much it's the options on eticket or nothing, and with a back ordered phone the main issue is it just takes longer.

So yeah, anyone with a 3D may have missed the window. They always could start offering the swap again, but usually they don't unfortunately. And yes it's crazy they won't swap for an epic touch or photon.

We couldn't submit an order for a back ordered phone. We used to just tell people they could continue to call us to see if it was available. It's been almost 2 years since my store could even do an advanced exchange so things may have changed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Giblet posted:

I think my brain may be bleeding. I asked about this, and they said "The HTC Hero".

Then I asked, "Are there actually any comparable phones to the Evo3D?"

"No, there are not."

I'm probably going to give it another few tries... I'm not looking forward to another 60 mile drive just to pick up the exact same phone again.