Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
So I have a question regarding skating... Now allow me to preface this by saying I am going to purchase real skates here in the next few weeks so rentals may be the issue, but I digress.

When I am skating my left leg is fine, but my right leg seems to drag or put out, to the point where I am only on the inside edge. Is there a way to correct this form? Or is it a non issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I know I've posted this here before, but I loving love douche visors.

Note: I dont use either of those helmets anymore.

I also had for a while (until the coating started peeling off somehow, a smoked pro-modified that I liked, felt a bit more comfortable that around the eyes it came down a bit further then the standard Pro shape.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

The Neighborhood @ Lake Placid

Front row L to R: bewbies, rednender, sellouts
Back row L to R: Bradf0rd, Pleads, Hockles

e: Linked and added names.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 27, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Here's a lovely video of us getting scored on, then me making a bad pass after almost losing the puck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vkDdHTFo_E

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome.

Those are some nice looking jerseys.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Thats a motley looking crew. I screwed up tonight. I went to the open skate and waited to sign up for pickup and it filled up by the time i went to sign up. Might have been because the open pickup last night was canceled because of that ice storm. They do pickup by divisions at the Icehouse so I hung out to watch if I would fit in the c1/c2 novice they had this listed as. I would have been one of the better players but I liked that there weren't any super pros out there. As far as the place goes Bro Hug it seemed pretty good. The ice was a complete mess for the open skate though. They had it going for over 3 hours and I don't think they resurfaced it. It still looked a little grooved for pickup. Looks like there is pickup tomorrow night at Extreme Ice so I might head over there to see how it is. What time is your clinic at?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
For those coming up here to the PBR tournament in a few weeks: it's warm as gently caress right now.

I wouldn't worry unless it gets really cold by then, but for now I'm wearing holed-out jeans and short sleeves at 10,000 feet.

Still deciding if I'm gonna play...

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Yeah the pick up game game at Extreme is at 7:30 tonight on the Training Rink. During the week they have them at 6:00am on the Main Rink. The clinic is at 3pm, TR. If you stop by around then I'll have a yellow metro league jersey on. Its me, one other adult, and a bunch of 9-12 year olds...hilariously fun.

Edit: oh, there'd also a couple adult C level games on the Main Rink starting at 4 it looks like.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Still deciding if I'm gonna play...

Our team only has 5 rostered right now. Just had a drop last week.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Our team only has 5 rostered right now. Just had a drop last week.

Is this an invite? If you roll with me in Breck your bar bills become hilariously low.

I wanna talk to my boss about work that friday, but put me down as a yes otherwise!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HZ, the smoked visor is the best call. When the suns out it is amazingly bright and it does a great job of being the perfect tint to not be annoying. Also much easier than sunglasses.

It was so bright the rest of everything was washed out. Then for the afternoon game it was dark grey again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just bought a helmet online, do they usually come with the hardware for the cage (the plastic things on the sides near the top) or am I going to have to do that separately?

Have an old rear end helmet/cage that I can't get those off of, screws are rusted on.

edit: n/m dremeled that poo poo.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Is this an invite? If you roll with me in Breck your bar bills become hilariously low.

I wanna talk to my boss about work that friday, but put me down as a yes otherwise!

Let me talk to the captain but we may be able to have you. If you wear a large jersey, you can be an Asian man, Lee, for a weekend.

sellouts, I wore the visor at stick time this morning and I actually loved it. Felt like I could see the puck at my feet so much easier. Not to mention, just tipping the helmet up to get a breather was much easier. Topo was right, I really want to wear a non-tinted one for my league games now. Too bad I enjoy my teeth.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Since not everybody on here is Facebook friends with me, I might as well show off our weekend of Pond Hockey here.

http://tinyurl.com/SALP2013

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Let me talk to the captain but we may be able to have you. If you wear a large jersey, you can be an Asian man, Lee, for a weekend.

I am a 6'7" hell beast. Keep me posted and I'll leave my chest protector at home. I've never had a jersey fit wearing shoulder pads anyway.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

HZ, the smoked visor is the best call. When the suns out it is amazingly bright and it does a great job of being the perfect tint to not be annoying. Also much easier than sunglasses.

It was so bright the rest of everything was washed out. Then for the afternoon game it was dark grey again.

I had planned to wear my sunglasses inside my cage but they wouldn't fit. It'd take me a good 5-10 minutes to be able to see inside again. The tinted visor is a really good idea for pond hockey.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just checked and it looks like the PBR tourney still has a few team slots open. I think I may have to call up my captain and seeing if a bunch of Denver scrubs want to head up.

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Got crushed today in my better league by a team that had only one sub against our 3 but which had a couple of ringers on it :-/.

I need to get way more confident skating with the puck was looking pass first way too much.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Hockles posted:

Since not everybody on here is Facebook friends with me, I might as well show off our weekend of Pond Hockey here.

http://tinyurl.com/SALP2013

Augh, this is making me so jealous. I haven't been up to Lake Placid in years. :(

Next year if I'm still in the Ithaca area I might see about going up, maybe even with a goon team (if anyone will have me :v:)

In other news, my team lost again tonight. We had the bad goalie, but this one was ours to lose. And so we did.

The most annoying thing about not playing for a month is that I feel great for the first period, and I can play at pretty much top speed, but by the time the period is over I'm feeling so much more tired than I should. Oh well, we have 2 more games before the playoffs, so hopefully I'll be back to form by then.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I feel the way this thread is progressing with everyone involved that next like, June, we could have an East vs West coast Goon Hockey match at some rink in the middle of the US. Actually, on a numbers level, we could have 2-3 teams from each side.
It wouldn't be "good" hockey but it sure as hell would be fun.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Extreme Ice is a nice joint. Had a pretty good skate, was up tempo and there were some good players. Its a pretty warm rink, by comparison Pineville felt like the arctic. I am way out of shape and lost my legs by the end and couldn't keep up. I don't think Ill make the Tuesday session though, probably Friday.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

drat it, got beat 3-2 in a game we should have won. They scored one of those goals dumping it in from the center line on our goalie who wasn't paying attention at the time. :effort:

Question: this team played a bit funny in their zone. They hung a winger between the blue and centerline most of the time and their other wing played up really high leaving only their defensemen and center low. I play defense and found this kind of tough to play against. I was back and forth between hanging back on the guy sitting really high, or to play a bit more cautious lower. Is there a rule of thumb for this or anything?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

All weekend I went unscathed (minus a minor bump from a puck under the eye) wearing a visor, and tonight at the first game of my normal ice season, I take a full-on slapper off the back of my calf.

Ow.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mintskoal posted:

drat it, got beat 3-2 in a game we should have won. They scored one of those goals dumping it in from the center line on our goalie who wasn't paying attention at the time. :effort:

Question: this team played a bit funny in their zone. They hung a winger between the blue and centerline most of the time and their other wing played up really high leaving only their defensemen and center low. I play defense and found this kind of tough to play against. I was back and forth between hanging back on the guy sitting really high, or to play a bit more cautious lower. Is there a rule of thumb for this or anything?

Cool! Your team gets a 4-on-4 in the offensive zone. More space = more offensive chances. They have to play 5-on-5 in your zone. This is -EV for them.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I feel the way this thread is progressing with everyone involved that next like, June, we could have an East vs West coast Goon Hockey match at some rink in the middle of the US. Actually, on a numbers level, we could have 2-3 teams from each side.

I graduate from vet school in June of next year (which is terrifying btw) and may be going back to the east coast for internship/residency.

I wouldn't know which coast to play for. :ohdear:

mintskoal posted:

Depends on how fast you can anticipate and react to the possibility of the winger in the neutral zone getting the puck, as well as your speed differential. If it's a slow dude then tbh I'll play near the blue line but trying to keep an awareness of where the cherrypickin dude is and if I get a sense that the puck is headed that way I'll book it to pressure him and 90% of the time he'll miss the puck anyway or make a dumb play and cough it up as soon as I get back to pressure. If my other defender pinches I'll be more likely to go to the middle of the ice and back out of the zone because I'd want to be prepared for the possibility of an odd man break and like to keep those plays well in front of me regardless of speed. If the cherrypicker is fast I'll usually hover closer to them between them and the puck to choke off any easy clear passing lanes.

So much of blue line positioning IMO relies on how well you can read the play down low and anticipate what will happen next that it's hard to give a hard and fast rule.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 28, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

West coast is best coast!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

West coast is best coast!
East Coast is best coast!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ha ha look at this east side nerd, he can't even rhyme properly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Yep. It would be fun. This trip was a blast. We spent a little extra each but did it right. gently caress hotel rooms.

However I consider it a small miracle that we had 5 solid people not flake.

If we did anything bigger wed have to do a kick starter or something so no one was charged until everyone is totally financially committed. And everyone would have to be ok paying a fuckoff big deposit on a house rental as I trust the people I took but not many randoms!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

Ha ha look at this east side nerd, he can't even rhyme properly.

Yeah everyone knows it's "East coast Beast coast," duh. :rolleyes:

sellouts posted:

Yep. It would be fun. This trip was a blast. We spent a little extra each but did it right. gently caress hotel rooms.

However I consider it a small miracle that we had 5 solid people not flake.

If we did anything bigger wed have to do a kick starter or something so no one was charged until everyone is totally financially committed. And everyone would have to be ok paying a fuckoff big deposit on a house rental as I trust the people I took but not many randoms!

Yeah, it would be a logistical nightmare. But hey, we can dream, I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Belle Fourche, SD has an ice rink. It's the closest town to the geographical center of all 50 states. Rapid City has one though, which is the closest "city".

If you want the contiguous US, Junction City, Kansas is the closest rink.

:spergin:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I used to think the East coast was the best... then I left the NYC area from whence I grew up and found out the truth....

The best coast is in fact... the GULF COAST.

Da Souf 4 lyfe, bitches.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Belle Fourche, SD has an ice rink. It's the closest town to the geographical center of all 50 states. Rapid City has one though, which is the closest "city".

If you want the contiguous US, Junction City, Kansas is the closest rink.

:spergin:

So much of the trip though was the location. One of the main improvements over Eagle River, WI. I mean LP had other, unique, non hockey stuff to do like Bobsled and Skeleton, and the backdrop for the games was gorgeous. Great restaurants for legitimate foodies (I can't believe I'm able to say this...), good food available at the store, and half million dollar+ cottage with every upgrade and a ton of space. Plus if you wanted to you could bound down a wooded hill to the rink rather than down a small road/hill which is kinda charming.

Again, if people were serious and up front with the costs I'd be willing to put in the elbow grease to work on planning it all. But I would want to go through a service that would avoid charging anyone until everyone is paid for ice time, lodging, etc, which would result in a service fee being paid. While I put it in the "very unlikely" category to ever happen I also thought getting 6 people from the forums to go in the middle of nowhere (some internationally) was unlikely but here we are, better friends and completely happy with the experience.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

So much of the trip though was the location. One of the main improvements over Eagle River, WI. I mean LP had other, unique, non hockey stuff to do like Bobsled and Skeleton, and the backdrop for the games was gorgeous. Great restaurants for legitimate foodies (I can't believe I'm able to say this...), good food available at the store, and half million dollar+ cottage with every upgrade and a ton of space. Plus if you wanted to you could bound down a wooded hill to the rink rather than down a small road/hill which is kinda charming.

Again, if people were serious and up front with the costs I'd be willing to put in the elbow grease to work on planning it all. But I would want to go through a service that would avoid charging anyone until everyone is paid for ice time, lodging, etc, which would result in a service fee being paid. While I put it in the "very unlikely" category to ever happen I also thought getting 6 people from the forums to go in the middle of nowhere (some internationally) was unlikely but here we are, better friends and completely happy with the experience.

I mean, I'm total poo poo at hockey, and didn't have the time/money to do it this time, but I'll definitely consider it next time around so long as yall are ok with having a dumb weeble as one of your wingers. :v:

Perhaps on a more related note, If any of you are in Huntsville, AL (or near to it), lemme know in advance. I'll get your name on my invite only Thursday-pickups and you can skate some.

IIRC, Thufir is in Nashville. I'd love it if there could be some semi-regular meetup of Nashvile-area skaters. Even if it was just for a S&P session or something, I'd be willing to make the drive into Nash-town. I can make a day of it or something after we play.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Coasties vs Flyover Country :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

I mean, I'm total poo poo at hockey, and didn't have the time/money to do it this time, but I'll definitely consider it next time around so long as yall are ok with having a dumb weeble as one of your wingers. :v:

We had a full time goalie skate out for one of the first times. We don't care. Skill levels will be varied and don't really matter to me or anyone that went. Especially if it was enough to put together 2 teams there's going to be variations. Also if we play in a real tournament we will get our asses kicked because that's what happens when you play against guys who grew up together and now work together at Tito's Auto Body Shop.

I'm also emailing Can/Am to suggest there be a novice division. The age group thing created quite the disparity of talent at all levels. Every division had one team like us that just inflated goals for/goals against averages. My idea is to create a novice division that doesn't play for anything, get an extra game in exchange, and perhaps doesn't even have the scores recorded after the game. I think that could be an interesting way to grow the tournament beyond the people within driving distance or who grew up with pond hockey available to them on a semi-regular basis.

Dangerllama posted:

Coasties vs Flyover Country :colbert:

Callin dibs on my flyover bros from US and Canada that went this time and calling dibs on HZ so I can chirp him constantly about his taping and not feel like a butthole because he'll be on my team!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JetsGuy posted:

IIRC, Thufir is in Nashville. I'd love it if there could be some semi-regular meetup of Nashvile-area skaters. Even if it was just for a S&P session or something, I'd be willing to make the drive into Nash-town. I can make a day of it or something after we play.

Yeah, I'm in Nashvegas but I don't think anyone else who posts in this thread is. I am also total poo poo at hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

The rink in Junction City has a mini golf course. :v:

Rapid City is actually a fun place to visit.. it's in the mt. rushmore region so there is a ton of stuff to do. Not that I'm seriously suggesting anything be organized there, just that it wouldn't be the worst place for a hockey vacation.

New England is probably the "best" though. Plenty of rinks, lots of snow, decent population density, and good scenery.

Some good spots in Montana too, but flying there is ridiculously expensive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts, funny you should mention that. I just bumblebee'd my girlfriend's stick with black/pink yesterday. Also, I'm changing teams next season with different colors. I don't know what to do with my yellow tape. What a conundrum.

And if we were on the same team, I'd bumblebee my whole stick, not just the blade :v:

Also, the LTP team I play for got their 2nd win of the season last night to bring us to 2-17. I banked a centering pass off a defender's skate into the net. Then in the third, trying to block a shot, I deflected a wrister off my shinguard into our own net. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts, funny you should mention that. I just bumblebee'd my girlfriend's stick with black/pink yesterday. Also, I'm changing teams next season with different colors. I don't know what to do with my yellow tape. What a conundrum.

You can't see me, but I am most certainly giving you some kind of evil eye.

Just wait until the next time I ref one of your dumb games.