Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For espresso, how long after roasting should I wait for CO2 to disperse before I start pulling shots? The CCC Toscano I ordered showed up yesterday and was roasted on Monday 1/21. I'd like to get into it tomorrow when I have some free time. Is 4 days enough time for it to outgas or should it sit in the one-way valve bag a bit longer?

I'll probably go ahead and get into a bag and try to determine for myself how it changes between the 4-7 day marks but if there's a general rule of thumb, I'd love to know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Lawen posted:

For espresso, how long after roasting should I wait for CO2 to disperse before I start pulling shots? The CCC Toscano I ordered showed up yesterday and was roasted on Monday 1/21. I'd like to get into it tomorrow when I have some free time. Is 4 days enough time for it to outgas or should it sit in the one-way valve bag a bit longer?

I'll probably go ahead and get into a bag and try to determine for myself how it changes between the 4-7 day marks but if there's a general rule of thumb, I'd love to know what it is.

Yes, you're fine. Generally one day is fine, at most 2.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I'd say anything after 24 hours should be good.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
follow up to my post from yesterday: How do you guys feel about frothers? such at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y6FBU2/?tag=goon0dd-20 ?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

smokmnky posted:

follow up to my post from yesterday: How do you guys feel about frothers? such at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y6FBU2/?tag=goon0dd-20 ?

Classy affiliate link.

Anyway don't buy one of those. Doesn't do the same thing as a proper milk steamer.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

Classy affiliate link.

Anyway don't buy one of those. Doesn't do the same thing as a proper milk steamer.

yeah I use it for Goonfleet (Eve Online)

so I'm not looking for anything fancy, more like something cheap for my wife to make a latte with using our new aeropress

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

smokmnky posted:

yeah I use it for Goonfleet (Eve Online)

so I'm not looking for anything fancy, more like something cheap for my wife to make a latte with using our new aeropress

Microwave for 30-45 seconds and a small whisk works and is pretty cheap.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone know of any standard brick and mortar stores that sell one way valve bags? I have a friend coming into town this weekend and I want to roast up some coffee for her to bring home, but I realized I'm out of bags. I'd hate to just give it to her in a ziplock bag.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rockcity posted:

Does anyone know of any standard brick and mortar stores that sell one way valve bags? I have a friend coming into town this weekend and I want to roast up some coffee for her to bring home, but I realized I'm out of bags. I'd hate to just give it to her in a ziplock bag.

Uhm, think you're going to have to list a location.
In the SF Bay, Sweet Maria's will sell you them at their warehouse.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nm posted:

Uhm, think you're going to have to list a location.
In the SF Bay, Sweet Maria's will sell you them at their warehouse.

I'm in Orlando and we don't have any decent coffee places here so that's why I was hoping there might be a major brick and mortar store that sold them for general food storage or something.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just had the praises of cafe bustelo made in a $30 Mr. Coffee espresso machine sung to me by 4 different people. Is there some potential that they've discovered some strange zen of cheap and good espresso?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I just had the praises of cafe bustelo made in a $30 Mr. Coffee espresso machine sung to me by 4 different people. Is there some potential that they've discovered some strange zen of cheap and good espresso?
I think it's very unlikely that there is some magic combination of brands that will make something good come out of preground coffee in a steam-based espresso machine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Is there some potential that they've discovered some strange zen of cheap and good espresso?

Yes. Ignorance and denial.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

It could be that it actually produced an amazing cup, but it is far more likely that those four people were doing what polite people do whenever anyone makes them a drink of anything and you are just to spergy to understand how manners work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've gotten the hang of the Aeropress now and want to try something else. I've been looking at the various pour overs and am wondering why anyone would choose something over the Clever Dripper? It looks much more convenient with no technique needed.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Mu Zeta posted:

I've gotten the hang of the Aeropress now and want to try something else. I've been looking at the various pour overs and am wondering why anyone would choose something over the Clever Dripper? It looks much more convenient with no technique needed.

I have a standard ceramic pourover cone with a gold filter that I use when I'm making coffee for multiple people, because my CCD is awesome, but it's a time commitment when brewing for multiple people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't think of that. I can make coffee for 2 on the Aeropress but it must be tricky on the Clever Dripper. I guess the Clever is only used for 1 serving at a time.

Do you brew for the whole 4 minutes that they recommend? I like my coffee hot and that sounds like a long time to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
CCD is good if you only want one cup.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't think of that. I can make coffee for 2 on the Aeropress but it must be tricky on the Clever Dripper. I guess the Clever is only used for 1 serving at a time.

Do you brew for the whole 4 minutes that they recommend? I like my coffee hot and that sounds like a long time to me.

CDD stays warm as long as you pre-warm it (basically pass a cup of boiling water through it to wet the filter) and use the cover.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

A Chemex lets you make up to four cups at a time, it's loving sexy as hell, you can jam a Coava Kone in it to have a reusable filter that allows french press levels of oils in the end cup; it's just my most favorite brewing apparatus. Sure, it's fiddlier than a Clever, but not by much.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

If they like it, they like it. If they love it, they love it. Happy is happy. If they find something better later, hey... more happy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

These starbucks blonde roast ads are loving annoying.
Basically they're implying that people who didn't like their burned as gently caress coffee didn't really like coffee, but now we have blonde roast (also known as just a step above Italian roast)

Also, people who drown coffee in milk because they don't like coffee. Sounds like a venti caramel whatever.the.fuckcatto

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Corla Plankun posted:

It could be that it actually produced an amazing cup, but it is far more likely that those four people were doing what polite people do whenever anyone makes them a drink of anything and you are just to spergy to understand how manners work.

I didn't make it, was just talking with a few random people at a mechanics shop while waiting on my car to be finished up. Apparently all four of them had separately discovered that same technique and were super excited that they weren't alone. I just stick to getting espresso at the handful of places around here that do it right.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

nm posted:

These starbucks blonde roast ads are loving annoying.
Basically they're implying that people who didn't like their burned as gently caress coffee didn't really like coffee, but now we have blonde roast (also known as just a step above Italian roast)

As much as I hate Starbucks, I think its commendable that they're acknowledging one of the main complaints about their coffee and trying to appeal to people that want more than just a hint of coffee taste covered in caramel and crumbled cookies or what have you. If they ever put a clover machine in a retail location somewhere in Switzerland, I'd give it a shot. :)

Also, back to the Geisha discussion, my friends company apparently buys Panama Geisha from origin for about 5-6000 bucks a ton, and passes it on to companies like Intelligentsia for a modest 10% mark up. It makes for some interesting math when you break it down to a 12 buck cup!

min
May 12, 2001

Armed Neutrality posted:

Also, back to the Geisha discussion, my friends company apparently buys Panama Geisha from origin for about 5-6000 bucks a ton, and passes it on to companies like Intelligentsia for a modest 10% mark up. It makes for some interesting math when you break it down to a 12 buck cup!

$2.5 - $3 a lb for Geisha? That sounds highly unlikely: http://auction.stoneworks.com/ES2012/final_results.html. The cheapest lot there went for $29.00 a lb.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

min posted:

$2.5 - $3 a lb for Geisha? That sounds highly unlikely: http://auction.stoneworks.com/ES2012/final_results.html. The cheapest lot there went for $29.00 a lb.

They buy direct from the farms and only
sell by the container load (18 tons I think?) so I think they might be a step or two higher on the sourcing ladder than that auction site. I'll ask him at the next opportunity.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 27, 2013

min
May 12, 2001

Armed Neutrality posted:

They buy direct from the farms and only
sell by the container load (18 tons I think?) so I think they might be a step or two higher on the sourcing ladder than that auction site. I'll ask him at the next opportunity.

That auction IS directly from the farm as far as I know. Geisha is that expensive. The price you are quoting is closer to the price for "typical" specialty coffee. For example, in Counter Culture's 2011 direct trade transparency report the vast majority of their coffees were purchased for over $2.00 a lb, most closer to $3.00-$4.00. The point I'm trying to make is $12 for a cup of Geisha isn't out of line when you take into account how much the coffee itself costs. If I had a local roaster that served Geisha I would certainly buy a cup, because I hate dropping between $40-80 for a half lb bag. I still usually do it once a year or so for a treat, it is truly great coffee and I believe every coffee nerd should try it at least once.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Grinder help needed!

So I've got a Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Grinder that won't grind properly after I've cleaned it for the first time. The problem is that I set the adjustment wheel to coarse (I only make french press) but it always comes out very fine. When cleaning I only took off the easily removable outer conical burr.

Any ideas?

wide stance fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 28, 2013

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Did you install it backwards? I don't know how that grinder works, but my Baratza requires the burr installed in the right direction.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

wide stance posted:

Grinder help needed!

So I've got a Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Grinder that won't grind properly after I've cleaned it for the first time. The problem is that I set the adjustment wheel to course (I only make french press) but it always comes out very fine. When cleaning I only took off the easily removable outer conical burr.

Any ideas?

Make sure you put the hopper on the right way. I don't have my old one here, but I recall being able to put on backwards despite the notching.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

that Vai sound posted:

Did you install it backwards? I don't know how that grinder works, but my Baratza requires the burr installed in the right direction.

That may be it, there's a plastic piece that attaches to the outer burr that's asymmetrical.

geetee posted:

Make sure you put the hopper on the right way. I don't have my old one here, but I recall being able to put on backwards despite the notching.

Fortunately the hopper is pretty idiot proof in that it physically won't line up with any of the grind settings if installed backwards.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
All right guys, I've been using a cheap blade grinder for years. I think I owe myself an actual burr grinder.

The question is: Hario Skerton or Hario MSS-1B Mini Grinder? I'm learning toward the Mini since I've got fairly small hands and it's cheaper, but I'd love someone else's opinion first.

Chadmunkey
Jan 1, 2013
I've been using a drip machine since the start of the year, it's my first coffee machine so I've been trying out different brands of ground coffees. I've tried a couple of flavoured coffees and I'm pretty sure I'm doing them wrong.

Usually I like my coffee black, but this doesn't seem to work for flavoured coffee. Am I supposed to use milk? Are flavoured grounds just generally rubbish?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chadmunkey posted:

Are flavoured grounds just generally rubbish?

Yes. Goto a local roaster and start picking up single origin roasts and enjoy the different flavor profiles.

Casull posted:

All right guys, I've been using a cheap blade grinder for years. I think I owe myself an actual burr grinder.

The question is: Hario Skerton or Hario MSS-1B Mini Grinder? I'm learning toward the Mini since I've got fairly small hands and it's cheaper, but I'd love someone else's opinion first.

I would advise against a hand grinder. Unless you're going to use it to travel around places, it's just so much easier to have a regular burr grinder. Any of the ones listed in the OP are good.

Chadmunkey
Jan 1, 2013

Doh004 posted:

Yes. Goto a local roaster and start picking up single origin roasts and enjoy the different flavor profiles.

Good to know, thanks

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Pretty much all flavoured coffee is extremely low-grade stuff, even by commodity coffee standards. If you want to flavour your coffee, you are better off adding syrups or other flavourings (sugar-free or otherwise) after the fact. It's more of an issue if you are grinding whole beans, because it tends to contaminate grinders pretty badly.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
When I was in the US I bought a bag of dunkin' donuts strawberry shortcake flavored coffee to make for some coffee loving friends. Surprise!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Doh004 posted:

I would advise against a hand grinder. Unless you're going to use it to travel around places, it's just so much easier to have a regular burr grinder. Any of the ones listed in the OP are good.
Yo. Zassenhaus 4 lyfe biatches.

I'd go with the Skerton. Doh004 is right, it's a pain to grind by hand (I still do it for anything but espresso though), but if cost is an issue, either Hario will work, I think the smaller one will take longer, but if you're grinding for a cup at a time I can't imagine that's an issue.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bob_McBob posted:

Pretty much all flavoured coffee is extremely low-grade stuff, even by commodity coffee standards. If you want to flavour your coffee, you are better off adding syrups or other flavourings (sugar-free or otherwise) after the fact. It's more of an issue if you are grinding whole beans, because it tends to contaminate grinders pretty badly.
Ya, It took days and a lot of white rice to fix my Rocky after someone ran some craptacular Hazelnut coffee through it. It's the damned oils and sugars that stick to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

porktree posted:

Yo. Zassenhaus 4 lyfe biatches.

That's pretty rad. If I wasn't a lazy rear end in a top hat I could see getting one, but, ya know, :effort: