Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, 30% of all mobile devices shipped last quarter were Samsung. They are doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

But they haven't exactly cornered the market.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
[NOTRACIST]
There's a discernible lack of thoughtfulness common to a lot of Korean products. I used to live there and had to deal with lovely design constantly. The worst instance I can remember was an electric stove top that was sheer black with touch sensitive controls. There wasn't even a raised barrier to indicate where the controls ended and the extremely hot hobs began. Imagine frying something then imagine how easy it would be for your finger to slip.

I had a Samsung MP3 player once with touch sensitive controls, but no touch screen. So it had all the fiddly imprecision of a touch screen, but with none of the pleasing or useful visual feedback. I have a Samsung TV now with the exact same problem. The thinking is so clearly executive, rather than designer driven.

"iPhone is successful. iPhone is touch sensitive. Make every loving thing like iPhone."

I should probably stop buying stuff made by Samsung.
[/NOTRACIST]

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

joedevola posted:

[NOTRACIST]
There's a discernible lack of thoughtfulness common to a lot of Korean products. I used to live there and had to deal with lovely design constantly. The worst instance I can remember was an electric stove top that was sheer black with touch sensitive controls. There wasn't even a raised barrier to indicate where the controls ended and the extremely hot hobs began. Imagine frying something then imagine how easy it would be for your finger to slip.

I had a Samsung MP3 player once with touch sensitive controls, but no touch screen. So it had all the fiddly imprecision of a touch screen, but with none of the pleasing or useful visual feedback. I have a Samsung TV now with the exact same problem. The thinking is so clearly executive, rather than designer driven.

"iPhone is successful. iPhone is touch sensitive. Make every loving thing like iPhone."

I should probably stop buying stuff made by Samsung.
[/NOTRACIST]

I can agree with that. I have a Samsung TV with touch sensitive controls on the front for no reason. I only use a remote and buttons would not have been any worse.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

I can agree with that. I have a Samsung TV with touch sensitive controls on the front for no reason. I only use a remote and buttons would not have been any worse.
Holy poo poo these things. We recently moved offices and our parent company decided to fill the reception/showroom area with these TVs. I am sometimes the last person to leave and being someone who doesn't see the point in wasting energy for no reason I will switch off the TVs on my way out. Except they are infuriatingly impossible to use because I always forget exactly where the buttons are, there is nothing tactile to give it away. And unless you have a decent light source shining at the button strip they are totally invisible. It's just wildly mashing your thumb at plastic until the drat thing switches off. Urgh.

Sorry, not Android, but I had to rant about that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Holy poo poo these things. We recently moved offices and our parent company decided to fill the reception/showroom area with these TVs. I am sometimes the last person to leave and being someone who doesn't see the point in wasting energy for no reason I will switch off the TVs on my way out. Except they are infuriatingly impossible to use because I always forget exactly where the buttons are, there is nothing tactile to give it away. And unless you have a decent light source shining at the button strip they are totally invisible. It's just wildly mashing your thumb at plastic until the drat thing switches off. Urgh.

Sorry, not Android, but I had to rant about that.

Touch sensitive controls make sense because they never wear out like a physical button, but I had how everything has them now and you never know if the icon is the touch sensitive item, right below it, or sometimes it's not touch, and the buttons are on the back opposite the icon on the front.

Some Samsung TVs don't even have a on/off button.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Touch sensitive controls make sense because they never wear out like a physical button, but I had how everything has them now and you never know if the icon is the touch sensitive item, right below it, or sometimes it's not touch, and the buttons are on the back opposite the icon on the front.

Some Samsung TVs don't even have a on/off button.

I like the ones on my monitor. Once you get used to where they are its not a big deal. I can hit them in the dark no problem.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EbolaIvory posted:

I like the ones on my monitor. Once you get used to where they are its not a big deal. I can hit them in the dark no problem.
My U3011 has a proximity sensor on the menu button and it lights up when you get close so you know where to touch. It's really nice to just touch the buttons so you're not shoving your monitor around.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Is it me or is the Jellybean gesture keyboard horrible on the nexus 10? It gets the word right only if you're dead on accurate. Pecking is faster.

On a related note, I really wish the home button was physical or had some textured divider between the screen/keyboard.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

geetee posted:

Is it me or is the Jellybean gesture keyboard horrible on the nexus 10? It gets the word right only if you're dead on accurate. Pecking is faster.

On a related note, I really wish the home button was physical or had some textured divider between the screen/keyboard.
I dunno I have finally started to use it and have had pretty decent luck with it so far.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Why does the Asus unlock tool need me to log in to my Google account?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

illicitporpoises posted:

Why does the Asus unlock tool need me to log in to my Google account?

What? Why are you using a tool?

Edit- can you elaborate?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

z06ck posted:

What? Why are you using a tool?

Edit- can you elaborate?

It's the tool to unlock the bootloader so I can install custom ROMs etc.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

illicitporpoises posted:

It's the tool to unlock the bootloader so I can install custom ROMs etc.

On what tablet?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

z06ck posted:

On what tablet?

Transformer Prime.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Transformer series has an official Asus APK that you use to unlock the bootloader. I didn't have to log into my Google account when I did it, or else I was already logged in so I'm not sure about that one.

p.s. The server that approves the unlock is a slow piece of poo poo that is frequently down so enjoy trying to unlock it for 3 days straight!

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

The Transformer series has an official Asus APK that you use to unlock the bootloader. I didn't have to log into my Google account when I did it, or else I was already logged in so I'm not sure about that one.

p.s. The server that approves the unlock is a slow piece of poo poo that is frequently down so enjoy trying to unlock it for 3 days straight!

That's the app I'm using.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Tori CMOS posted:

How much time do you spend in an average day making phone calls? Are you planning on doing VoIP or Skype? Using a headset or holding the tablet in front of you?

I'd say 10-15 a day if that.

I was going to use voip, what advantages does skype bring?

I'll probably have to get a headset.

revolther
May 27, 2008

illicitporpoises posted:

That's the app I'm using.

I imagine it's too prevent anyone but the registered owner from voiding the warranty and unlocking the boot loader.

Unless you registered it with a different email, or you got it from a non-Asus site, you should be fine. I ran it to unlock an infinity which isn't officially supported.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I was given a Kindle Fire HD for christmas. It worked fine for the past month or so, but has now decided to get really loving hot and shut itself down whenever I try to watch any sort of video (whether it be twitch.tv or some free show from Amazon Prime.)

It also doesn't charge sometimes. Is it just defective or did I somehow gently caress it up despite having pretty much only used it to view a textbook or watch a tv show here and there?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's obviously defective, return it asap.

It blows my mind what people have to ask is a defect sometimes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Blame carrier warranty service and insurance.

People are so used to getting the "Delete everything, factory reset, reboot it, call us next time it happens" cycle, that they're conditioned against recognizing an actual hardware fault.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love my Google Nexus 7 a lot, but something that bugs me is that I get notification advertising spam. Is there a way to turn this off? Other than that minor thing, this device is perfect.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I said come in! posted:

I love my Google Nexus 7 a lot, but something that bugs me is that I get notification advertising spam. Is there a way to turn this off? Other than that minor thing, this device is perfect.
You've installed something that's doing it. You can long-press on the notification to see the guilty party. You can disable notifications completely for that application but the better thing to do would just be uninstall it altogether because that's a lovely thing for a developer to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You've installed something that's doing it. You can long-press on the notification to see the guilty party. You can disable notifications completely for that application but the better thing to do would just be uninstall it altogether because that's a lovely thing for a developer to do.

Ooh man, that is lovely. Thanks for the heads up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, if I ever encounter anything with airpush, it's an immediate uninstall with one star feedback on the market.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I love(d) MY Nexus 7 a lot ... but:

I went to read a book on it before bed last night. Battery metre showed 29% which I figured, "fine, I'll read, and plug it in after". My battery seems to have been dying sooner than it should have for several weeks, like I only get 1-2 days idle on it, but turning wifi off seems to make it last longer. There doesn't appear to be a wake-lock on it.

Anyway, within 15-20 minutes or so it dropped to 23% ... and then suddenly I got a popup saying the battery was dead, to connect the charger, and that it was immediately shutting down. I didn't really think this was a big deal, I figured the battery metre had just lost calibration.

I plugged it in, but had trouble starting it again. A couple of times I just got ... snow on the screen. Third time the Google and Nexus logo showed up and it booted ... only to immediately shut down again. I believe the battery metre showed it was charging at this time. Also I think it was still showing 23% at this point.

I figured well ... I guess the battery is weak, I'll just let it go over night and go to bed.

This morning I get snow + the occasional boot + immediate shut down, and the battery metre when I can see it shows it's totally dead. I was using the official charger and have tried my girlfriend's Nexus 4 charger (1.2A) as well ... same deal.

I'm going to call Google support tomorrow, but I'm wondering if there's something I ought to be trying.

I've spent some time searching. A lot of people have trouble with it shutting down at random battery levels, but don't seem to have trouble with it starting again. Came across this official post but holding power + volume down doesn't seem to boot it any differently when it works.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

So I love(d) MY Nexus 7 a lot ... but:

I went to read a book on it before bed last night. Battery metre showed 29% which I figured, "fine, I'll read, and plug it in after". My battery seems to have been dying sooner than it should have for several weeks, like I only get 1-2 days idle on it, but turning wifi off seems to make it last longer. There doesn't appear to be a wake-lock on it.

Anyway, within 15-20 minutes or so it dropped to 23% ... and then suddenly I got a popup saying the battery was dead, to connect the charger, and that it was immediately shutting down. I didn't really think this was a big deal, I figured the battery metre had just lost calibration.

I plugged it in, but had trouble starting it again. A couple of times I just got ... snow on the screen. Third time the Google and Nexus logo showed up and it booted ... only to immediately shut down again. I believe the battery metre showed it was charging at this time. Also I think it was still showing 23% at this point.

I figured well ... I guess the battery is weak, I'll just let it go over night and go to bed.

This morning I get snow + the occasional boot + immediate shut down, and the battery metre when I can see it shows it's totally dead. I was using the official charger and have tried my girlfriend's Nexus 4 charger (1.2A) as well ... same deal.

I'm going to call Google support tomorrow, but I'm wondering if there's something I ought to be trying.

I've spent some time searching. A lot of people have trouble with it shutting down at random battery levels, but don't seem to have trouble with it starting again. Came across this official post but holding power + volume down doesn't seem to boot it any differently when it works.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

Could be this problem.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Those were the same instructions as the post I linked ... but I actually got into the bootloader menu this time. But oddly while I could change options, I couldn't actually select "shutdown". Holding power caused it to reboot though, and it actually seems to be charging now ... happy days!

Thanks.

What a bug. My girlfriend's Nexus 4 camera is bugged out too.

edit: one of the comments:

quote:

It took me a dozen times or so to get thus tip to work. Just as I was going to give up it loaded. Thank you.

I tried four times before this and didn't get anything.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 27, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Those were the same instructions as the post I linked ... but I actually got into the bootloader menu this time. But oddly while I could change options, I couldn't actually select "shutdown". Holding power caused it to reboot though, and it actually seems to be charging now ... happy days!

Thanks.

What a bug. My girlfriend's Nexus 4 camera is bugged out too.

edit: one of the comments:

I tried four times before this and didn't get anything.

This sounds like the problem I had with the Nexus 4...hmm. Glad you got it fixed though!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
The version of my Nexus 7 is still Jellybean 4.1. Should I update my nexus 7 to 4.2.1?

I've gotten the impression that 4.2 introduced a lot of bugs (ie.teethgrinder's bug) and as such I wonder wether updating is recommended.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

The version of my Nexus 7 is still Jellybean 4.1. Should I update my nexus 7 to 4.2.1?

I've gotten the impression that 4.2 introduced a lot of bugs (ie.teethgrinder's bug) and as such I wonder wether updating is recommended.

My boyfriend hasn't had any issues with 4.2.1 on his Nexus 7, but a LOT of people have had issues. It sounds like the only device without them (or at least with the least issues) is the Nexus 4.

I'd wait until 4.2.2 (which should come out soon...hopefully).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Walh Hara posted:

My Nexus 7 was blazingly fast on 4.1 and slowed down tremendously on 4.2.1. I ended up putting Cyanogenmod on it, which sped it up (placebo?) but not as fast as it was.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah...mine seems to have been uncharacteristically laggy, like several seconds to start and switch apps, undoing everything great about "Project Butter". It was responsive when new.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
If your nexus 7 gets below about 2gb of available storage, it seems to slow down a ton. Supposedly they fixed this, but I can easily replicate it on my N7 still. You may try freeing up about 3gb and see if it helps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Walh Hara posted:

I wouldn't. Even putting CM 10.1 on it didn't help all that much. There's just something in 4.2 that a lot of N7's hate, mine included.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shadowgate posted:

If your nexus 7 gets below about 2gb of available storage, it seems to slow down a ton. Supposedly they fixed this, but I can easily replicate it on my N7 still. You may try freeing up about 3gb and see if it helps.
I'm slightly above that but ... just discovered that 18 magazine issues are occupying 4 GB of space.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also sometimes once drop you below 2GB, the problem doesn't fix itself even after you delete stuff. That was supposed to be fixed in 4.2.1 I believe, but there's always the chance that it didn't work for everyone. I can't remember if a factory reset fixes it or if you have to reflash the base ROM.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Since I've installed PA I've speeded up the animations by 50%, it feels better but I still get an irritating 3 second pause when pressing menu buttons sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Also sometimes once drop you below 2GB, the problem doesn't fix itself even after you delete stuff. That was supposed to be fixed in 4.2.1 I believe, but there's always the chance that it didn't work for everyone. I can't remember if a factory reset fixes it or if you have to reflash the base ROM.

A factory reset fixes it.