Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nrr posted:

Long story short, yeah I really, really badly need to get down to the city and camp out for a few days and try out anything and everything I can get my hands on, because there is no substitute for first hand experience. Please don't hold back on any more insight or advice though, because every time one of you guys adds more it gives me another target to go hunting for to try out.

I've always had good luck buying amps on ebay, so if you find something on your list in a shop but they're asking too much don't be afraid to pick one up on ebay if the price is better. Craigslist can be good too but it's hit-or-miss plus the off chance you're buying from a serial killer. Music Go Round is an excellent resource as well. I got a Crate GX130C a while back (Ampeg VH140 clone, Cannibal Corpse used them early on) from there for $120 shipped. Can't beat that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
On the other, other hand, who likes a guy who shops in the store and buys online? Still, if you gotta, you gotta. Do check out youtubes of the amps you speculate you might like. There's demos of everything.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you like the modelled dual terror why not try the tiny terror?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

On the other, other hand, who likes a guy who shops in the store and buys online? Still, if you gotta, you gotta. Do check out youtubes of the amps you speculate you might like. There's demos of everything.

Yeah, I've been trying to youtube as well to help give me an idea, but nothing can really substitute for hearing something first hand. I feel a little bad about shopping in a store to buy second hand, but it's not like I should be obligated to buy something just because I walked into a store and asked some questions. Anyway, that's another arguement. If I can find something used in a store for less than I can find it used online then I'll grab it. If I can get a better deal from a serial killer, then a deal's a deal. vOv

massive spider, the reason I liked the dual terror over the tiny terror is the fat channel. It's all about that extra warmth and bottom end that the dual has over the tiny. I felt the tiny was a little thin sounding and one dimensional by comparison.

e: Music go Round sounds cool, but I'm in Canada, so unfortunately not an option. Unless there's something similar north of the border that I'm not aware of.

nrr fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 25, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

On the other3 hand, local stores often have ebay storefronts and in my experience the ones which don't tend to price gouge on used gear because they're still in a position where they can get away with it. But more often than not especially with used stuff unless a store is asking for something ridiculous when you factor in shipping costs from ebay or whatever it tends to even out as far as buying in store vs online. Probably should've amended my earlier statement to "if you can't find something locally or they're asking what you know to be way too much, then get it online".

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 26, 2013

Conkrad
Aug 27, 2012
What is the general consensus on the Fender DeVille? Right now I'm using a Frontman 212r, but I've been considering going in the direction of a tube amp, I don't know about that many though. Plus a used Deville wouldn't break my bank too bad

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Great cleans but doesent sound all that similar to a twin, sound good with pedals, not so great drive channel.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

massive spider posted:

Great cleans but doesent sound all that similar to a twin, sound good with pedals, not so great drive channel.

With the last part... a typical Fender amp, then? :colbert:

(I love Fender amps)

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
I have a Crate GFX65 for my main amp, which gives me some surprisingly decent tones at low volumes.

I never gig or anything and live in an apartment and don't want to piss off my neighbors, so I'm looking to upgrade to either a low-low wattage tube amp that will give me good tones at low volumes or possibly just go with a POD or some other such modeler. I do have a 16 ohm Hotplate that attenuates fairly well so that may be a factor in what tube amp choices are available to me.

I play a little bit of everything, so I'm trying to find a versatile setup possibly with some decent built-in effects like the GFX65 has. Maybe a Line 6 amp that I can model two amps at once with? I don't know how the DSP processing has progressed lately.

Before I moved I was playing through a JCM800 2204 and a Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 Combo that I can't use anymore :cry:

Any recommendations?

Also if you live in the metro Atlanta area I'd be willing to sell the JCM800 and/or the Hotplate for a decent price :)

greg_graffin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 27, 2013

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Boz0r posted:

I went and tried the Mini Rectifier. It sounds pretty awesome and it's probably the one I'm gonna get, even though it's a bit pricey. I thought it was going to sound too modern metal br00talz for my taste but the vintage setting sound very good. They didn't have the 1 Watt Marshalls, but I'll ask them to order it. Will 1 watt be loud enough for band practice, though?

The mini rec will definitely get you Glam rock/80s tones. Technically it's like a for channel amp in that it has switchable tones. You can probably get closer to a JCM 800 on the vintage channel.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Conkrad posted:

What is the general consensus on the Fender DeVille? Right now I'm using a Frontman 212r, but I've been considering going in the direction of a tube amp, I don't know about that many though. Plus a used Deville wouldn't break my bank too bad

I've got a Hot Rod Deville. It's very loud. I (guy on left) am using it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkPSJZ4dt4 with the gain channel on (I don't think I had bought my Big Muff yet, but I might be wrong). I'm using it on this as well (rhythm, not lead, and almost certainly with a Big Muff here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obs8gHlOkXs.

I've been really, really pleased with it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Conkrad posted:

I think Devilles are ok if you're not expecting them to sound like a typical Fender. The clean is ok, not as good as a black face but it does have some gain, which while it's nothing to write home about on it's own, I found to be a great pedal booster. If you need decent tone and volume on a budget I think they are good, but I think the Peavey Classic and Delta Blues are similar, better and cheaper.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Can anybody suggest an under-$150 small, probably digital amp that does clear tones really well and takes headphones? Maybe 15-20 watt range.

I want a bedroom/practice amp and I worry about technique a lot more than sound, and I'm not good enough to detect when I've screwed up without a clear tone.

Ideally I'd pick up something like an AC4TV but it doesn't do headphones and costs too much. I'd probably do either a mustang 1 or a cube unless I get better advice.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking for a rig that will prove very clean and very warm for both bass and electric 12-string. I don't really need reverb or tremelo or distortion included. Also, it will not need to support the two simultaneously. I'm just looking for a one-stop solution for both as space is at a premium. Doesn't need to be that loud so long as it has a somewhat...intense sound when turned up.

Is this a pipe dream or does such a system actually exist? The cheaper, the better, but I'm willing to save for some time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Played around at Guitar center and picked up a 12 watt Orange Crush. I realized when I was loving around with the amps that if I bought a modelling amp I'd spend all my time trying to recreate the beginning of Kerosene instead of actually practicing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My tube combo is too drat heavy to haul around anymore and I think I want to go completely digital. I want something I can gig with, although if I can also use it as a practice amp that would be super.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How is the Orange AD30HTC for glam rock/metal? It looks and sounds pretty cool on Youtube.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Remulak posted:

Can anybody suggest an under-$150 small, probably digital amp that does clear tones really well and takes headphones? Maybe 15-20 watt range.

Perhaps the Orange Micro Terror is what you're looking for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs

It costs around the same as a Micro Cube but you get a hybrid solid-state/single-tube circuit, the headphone jack, 20 watts, and from the videos it sounds pretty badass. The only downside I think is the speaker output is only 4 ohms, and if you run the volume too high at that impedance it will cut out, so you'll need at least an 8 ohm cabinet to get it just right. If you don't already have a cabinet or are looking for just a combo, then your best bet is probably going to be one of the Micro Cubes.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Chalets the Baka posted:

Perhaps the Orange Micro Terror is what you're looking for?
That video makes it sound very, very, very nice. Now I've got bad buyer's remorse and I just bought the damned Crush combo. I think I paid a lot for the orange color on an OK solid state combo amp...

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
One Tube 2x12, one solid state with a pretty good modeler/effects board on it 1x12. I wanna run these together. Thoughts?

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

One Tube 2x12, one solid state with a pretty good modeler/effects board on it 1x12. I wanna run these together. Thoughts?

Power tubes in the 2x12 or solid state power section?

I did an album like this, in stereo with a rickenbacker bass and the attacks of the different amps (ss power vs tube power) can cause phasing issues and sound a bit odd on the recording. That only matters if you care about phasing, if it's part of your tone (ala Al Cisneros) then it doesn't matter.

Ignore me totally if they both have solid state power sections.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Nah. All tube!

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Boz0r posted:

How is the Orange AD30HTC for glam rock/metal? It looks and sounds pretty cool on Youtube.
I've got one, I need to sell it. Every guitar I've played through it with any sort of gain sounds basically the same, with that Orange sound. Is that what you want? If so, it's a great amp. If not, don't buy it.

edit: oh, I've got the combo, not the head

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nah. All tube!

try it out! "if it sounds good, it is good."

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I picked up a Fender Super Bassman 300 last year for bass amplication. I absolutely love it's sound. Recently I started using it for electric guitar - It works just as good for guitar playing. It makes my telecaster sound incredible.

I flippin love this head. That is all.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Super-Bassman-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B006ZMO0PI

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
At that price anything should sound awesome. :P

niff
Jul 4, 2010

spaceship posted:

I picked up a Fender Super Bassman 300 last year for bass amplication. I absolutely love it's sound. Recently I started using it for electric guitar - It works just as good for guitar playing. It makes my telecaster sound incredible.

I flippin love this head. That is all.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Super-Bassman-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B006ZMO0PI

Yeah these things are awesome as hell. It turns into a whole different beast if you swap out the pre tubes too, making it even more versatile. You can get it rebiased for KT88s too

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So I got a chance to head down to the city last week and check out a quite a few different amps. On the recommendation of this and the guitar thread, I had a solid look at (amongst other things) quite a few blues juniors, a few other things that were recommended to me while I was down there as well, and I finally settled on a Fender Super Champ X2.

I checked out a Canadian made brand that escapes me right now that the guy who was helping me called a "Blues Jr Killer," except I found it to be a little too bright. I tried out a few different Blues Jr's and really only liked an old second hand blonde one from 1998. I tried to see what the speaker was, but all I could really make out was "Fender." That was going for $500 and sounded fantastic, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I asked what else was around that price range for the tone I was after, and he put me onto a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 combo.

Holy poo poo.

That thing sounded loving badass. Tons of versatility too, which is perfect for what I'm looking for. Effects loop is a huge plus over the Blues Jr but also the ability to attenuate it down from 18w to 5w to 1w so I can still get great tone in my apartment. At $700 Canadabucks though, I wasn't sure if it was worth an extra $200 over the Blonde Jr, or twice as much as the regular Blues Jr they were selling.

The next day I changed stores and found a Vox AC30 C1 on sale brand new (at Tom Lee in Vancouver if anyone's interested) for $700. At $700, that thing was a damned good deal, (the grizzled old bluesdad vet at the store who was helping me said he'd bought one because at that price it's even less than his staff discount and he'd be stupid not to,) sounded fantastic and kind of put the Tubemeister that I'd tried the day before into perspective. The only problem really was that it's just too much amp for what I need. I tried out some different editions/models of Blues Jrs, a couple of other more expensive Fender models who's names escape me but were in the $700-$1200 range and even the Vox VT80 modelling amp. I was impressed with the VT80's versatility, but found that it was kind of muddy at any real decent volume and overall felt kind of disappointed with it.

Finally, I saw the Superchamp sitting there, but at $350 surely it was going to be in the same league as the VT80 and not really worth my time. I'm so glad I tried it out. The clean channel has that really nice fat, round tone that the Blues Jr is capable of and sounded practically identical as the more expensive Fenders I tried out, and then the second channel with the 16 different modelling options just continues on where the first channel leaves off. Obviously not all of the modelling options are particularly decent, but 3-4 of them are really good and offer a great range to tones to choose from. I really like the 59 Bassman tone and was even looking into buying a Bassman pedal to emulate it when need be, only to find a pretty damned good reproduction already available on the Superchamp.

Long story short, I was looking at spending upwards of $700 after looking at the H&K Tubemeister but for $350 new, I had a really hard time finding anything close to the Superchamp. Overall, I think the H&K was the better amp, but when you look at the price, was it twice as good? Not even close.

As an added bonus, while I have my bud's JCM800 cab here, the Superchamp has a speaker out option rated at 8ohms that I can plug into... and it sounds loving awesome :toot: My only disappointment is that I have a loop pedal that I would like to take full advantage of the Superchamps effects with, except the only real option is to put the loop pedal before the amp because it has no effects loop. The Superchamp does have a line out to record with, would I be able to put my loop pedal after the line out and send that signal to the cabinet? I've never had a cab before so I'm not sure how all that works exactly and I don't want to gently caress anything up.

Cheers if you bothered to read all of that :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking at the Mini Rectifier or the EVH 5150 III 50w for glam metal.
The Rectifier sounds awesome, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have a footswitchable effects loop. Would that be a problem if I have a delay pedal in the loop that I can just turn off and on instead.
I haven't tried the 5150 yet, but some reviews I read says that the combined EQ of channel 1 and 2 compromises the sound as you won't be able to find a setting where both channels sound good.

Any thoughts on this?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a Marshall AVT150 Combo amp that I saved up for and bought when I was 16, 12 years ago. I bought it for the brand name, really not knowing anything about amps.

It has, I believe, a single tube that runs the pre amp stage for all 4 channels, then the power section is solid state. I don't have a speaker cabinet to run with it, so I believe it does not run at the max rated power because of that.

In reading newer reviews, it seems like the amp is actually a pretty OK piece of equipment, even for metal, which is what I'm currently most interested in. Though it's much larger and more powerful than any amp I'd consider buying now that I'm a little wiser.

I can't crank the amp due to sharing walls with neighbors. I was wondering if an attenuator would be helpful with this type of amp, or if it'd be moot since the only tube is in the pre amp stage. My two guitars have passive pickups (SD Screamin Demon, and EMG HZ) and I'm not feeling like I can dial up a heavy distorted sound that I want. The amp dirties up plenty, but it feels soft, mushy even. I can't tell if it's the settings I've tried (I've turned every knob hunting for different sounds with the distortion), the overall volume I'm able to play at, my lack of active pickups in any of my guitars, or just the sound of the amp itself.

So I'm looking for general guidance. Will an attenuator do anything for this type of hybrid tube/solid state amp? Would running the amp clean and using a distortion pedal offer a significant change in sound over using the on board channels? Do I need active pickups in my guitars as a prerequisite for achieving the distorted sounds of Unearth, Children of Bodom, 3 Inches of Blood? Are these sounds so varied that my question is too broad to answer (sorry)?

And my last concern, do I just need to buy a much smaller amp of a different design more appropriate to apartment/duplex renting? Thank you for considering my wall of text.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Congrats! Sounds like a wise decision and I'd probably (hopefully) do the same thing if I'd been in your shoes. Now we only need some pictures and sound samples....

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Ferret King posted:

I have a Marshall AVT150 Combo amp that I saved up for and bought when I was 16, 12 years ago. I bought it for the brand name, really not knowing anything about amps.

It has, I believe, a single tube that runs the pre amp stage for all 4 channels, then the power section is solid state. I don't have a speaker cabinet to run with it, so I believe it does not run at the max rated power because of that.

In reading newer reviews, it seems like the amp is actually a pretty OK piece of equipment, even for metal, which is what I'm currently most interested in. Though it's much larger and more powerful than any amp I'd consider buying now that I'm a little wiser.

I can't crank the amp due to sharing walls with neighbors. I was wondering if an attenuator would be helpful with this type of amp, or if it'd be moot since the only tube is in the pre amp stage. My two guitars have passive pickups (SD Screamin Demon, and EMG HZ) and I'm not feeling like I can dial up a heavy distorted sound that I want. The amp dirties up plenty, but it feels soft, mushy even. I can't tell if it's the settings I've tried (I've turned every knob hunting for different sounds with the distortion), the overall volume I'm able to play at, my lack of active pickups in any of my guitars, or just the sound of the amp itself.

So I'm looking for general guidance. Will an attenuator do anything for this type of hybrid tube/solid state amp? Would running the amp clean and using a distortion pedal offer a significant change in sound over using the on board channels? Do I need active pickups in my guitars as a prerequisite for achieving the distorted sounds of Unearth, Children of Bodom, 3 Inches of Blood? Are these sounds so varied that my question is too broad to answer (sorry)?

And my last concern, do I just need to buy a much smaller amp of a different design more appropriate to apartment/duplex renting? Thank you for considering my wall of text.

Since the power amp's solid state, it should sound mostly the same at low volume, but every amp is going to have better "feel" when it's turned up past a certain point where the speakers are pushed and feedback begins. Low volume is always a compromise; it's a matter of physics. For the mushiness you described, you can try putting an eq in the effects loop and also an overdrive with the gain turned down in front. The Valvestate line was used on a lot of early-mid 90s death metal albums; Death most notably, but also Cannibal Corpse and I think Suffocation too. It's a different tone from more recent bands, but it certainly is metal enough. The one thing that's common among the bands you listed is they're using OD-boosted amps, maybe for extra gain, but definitely to tighten up the response.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 6, 2013

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Turn down the gain on the dirty channel and buy a Boss SD-1 (basically a Tube Screamer circuit with asymmetrical clipping diodes). SD-1s and Tube Screamers are magical at tightening up amps.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

nrr posted:

I did and I thank you for it. I'm going to have to find a way to demo that.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

nrr posted:

I picked up a Super Champ late last year and couldn't be happier with it. I've found that the Twin-Vox-Marshall area on the modeling dial is where I stay, but I've been too lazy to fiddle with the settings on my computer to improve/replace some of the others. I NEED to set up a fuzz-wah->Twin setting and see if it's as great as I imagine it is. My main irritation: no tremolo/reverb setting on the effects. It's got all kinds of other combinations, but not that one! Did you get one of the funky alternative colors?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

An attenunators not gonna do nothing for an amp with a solid state power section. In fact, whether it would even help with those sounds for a tube amp is debatable. The whole "the power stage has to be working hard for it to sound good" thing isnt neccisarilly true if you're going for a tight, high gain sound (A 150w triple rectifier was definitely not designed with pushing it to its limit in mind).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Turn down the gain on the dirty channel and buy a Boss SD-1 (basically a Tube Screamer circuit with asymmetrical clipping diodes). SD-1s and Tube Screamers are magical at tightening up amps.

You'd recommend that over using the pedal on the clean channel? I'll probably experiment of course but I'd always heard about folks using distortion pedals on the clean channels usually.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah, stay away from the dirt.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Totally. Those valvestates have a perfectly good distortion channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sorry, I misread. I thought we were talking about Fender amps, and was trying to recommend him to stay away from the dirty channel. Haven't tried those Marshalls so I can't comment on them.