Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
This is why the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic", which explains everything perfectly, and should really keep all of the negative connotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

jng2058 posted:

For me, it's a mater of sticking with your team. I'm from Chicago, and I was raised a Bears fan. I gloried as a Bear fan through the heyday of the '85 Shufflin' Crew, and I've suffered through the dark years since. I didn't switch allegiance to the Packers despite all their success with Farve and Rogers even when the best we could roll out was McNown or Grossman. That's the point of being a fan. You pick your team and roll with it, through thick and thin.

Up here in Minnesota I'm stuck with the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" Vikings.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Beautiful charge! If the Death Commandos do it won't it be another 2 points easier for them too? *hint hint* :D

Didn't one of the Jagermechs only have one arm left (they both fired their full armament)?

Crits weren't so bad, one large laser and an engine hit for 9 crits, versus one lower arm actuator and a lower leg actuator for 7 crits, but also three consciousness checks at 3, 5, and 7 (15/36) were passed (bad luck suffering two pilot hits though).

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 27, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Up here in Minnesota I'm stuck with the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" Vikings.

Don't give your heart to the Vikings, they'll break it every time.

Kind of like an Atlas who should've had one more turn, but doesn't because of PTN's DICE!!! :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

As owner of the Green Bay Packers I would like to go on record telling both of you to suck it.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Ahahaha, always wonderful to see another crazy charge pay off! I was always fond of charges, especially since an incident in my youth involving a Fireball, a Gunslinger, and a level 4 sheer cliff. :3

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Rorahusky posted:

Ahahaha, always wonderful to see another crazy charge pay off! I was always fond of charges, especially since an incident in my youth involving a Fireball, a Gunslinger, and a level 4 sheer cliff. :3

Drat, I hope you got promoted for that!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rorahusky posted:

My most beloved charge came at the hands of a MASC (TH 7 MASC roll!) Grand Dragon. Facing a pristine Mad Dog.... On a height 3 cliff. Leading into depth 2 water. On a TH 10. The rage was so beautiful.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Andrevian posted:

This is why the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic", which explains everything perfectly, and should really keep all of the negative connotations.

It's about loyalty, and I pity you if you don't feel that has value in this life.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

My condolences. The only thing worse for you would to be a Lions fan. At least the Vikings have flirted with success in the past.

Defiance Industries posted:

As owner of the Green Bay Packers I would like to go on record telling both of you to suck it.

Pursuant to that....go Niners! :cheers:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My disdain for House Davion comes as much from the sourcebooks, particularly the old House book. It's most of the things I don't care for in one package. Their entire society exists to support their army, and anyone who doesn't, doesn't matter. Also, they're the only state where racism is a widespread, national-level problem. I don't see a whole lot of differences between the Davions and the Clans except that their Caste system is determined on where you were born rather then how, and the Clans do a better job of taking care of their workers.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 27, 2013

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

jng2058 posted:

It's about loyalty, and I pity you if you don't feel that has value in this life.

Loyalty ceases being a virtue when it extends to dedication to fiction. Especially when the fiction endorses terrible things. Then it starts being creepy.

Ask your favorite warhams player why there aren't women space marines. This will be a good education as to other creepy forms of loyalty.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Andrevian posted:

Loyalty ceases being a virtue when it extends to dedication to fiction. Especially when the fiction endorses terrible things. Then it starts being creepy.

Ask your favorite warhams player why there aren't women space marines. This will be a good education as to other creepy forms of loyalty.

Pft, I find it creepier to try and intuit some great sociological analysis about a goofy thirty year old giant robot game. Regardless of your dismissive comments vis a vis "being a fan", I decline to be convinced that preferring one faction or another in a game setting is in any way detrimental. Believing that it does is, in my opinion, far more troublesome than choosing the guys with the sword symbol over the guys with the dragon instead.

And I defy you to find a faction in Battletech that at doesn't have some "terrible things" in their backstory. If liking any of them is such a problem, you really shouldn't be hanging around in a Battletech forum in the first place. It's a setting designed to explain why there's been three and a half centuries of giant robot wars. It's everybody's fault, and everybody sucks. So pick the group of bastards you like best for whatever reason you want and get to the giant robot fighting.

If you try to find something deeper to it than that, you're missing the point.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Man. It's really hard to argue with a rubber vs. glue argument. So I won't.

You're right though. Everyone is shitheads. So it's best to not root for anyone, and hope they all kill each other.

Except maybe the Magistracy of Canopus. They're pretty boss.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Regardless of your dismissive comments vis a vis "being a fan", I decline to be convinced that preferring one faction or another in a game setting is in any way detrimental. Believing that it does is, in my opinion, far more troublesome than choosing the guys with the sword symbol over the guys with the dragon instead.

What's "detrimental" is being lovely to the players, who are real people, because of your fanaticism about made-up future space kingdoms.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hey, the Taurians are all right.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Hey, the Taurians are all right.

The Taurians are Space Texas. Being from Real Texas, it is cheating to say anything good about them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Getting up in arms about what crazy space nation people paint on their giant robots seems silly as all hell. Especially since they're all inferior to Clan Ghost Bear

But!

Russell Wilson to Golden Tate touchdown Seattle :smug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Andrevian posted:

You're right though. Everyone is shitheads. So it's best to not root for anyone, and hope they all kill each other.

Well, there ya go. Pick a bunch of Space Bastards (Or Amazon Space Bitches in your case) and get to the giant robot fighting. That's all Battletech really is. Glad we could come to some common ground.

Now, all we need to do is figure out how to resolve all our real world problems with giant robot fighting and we'd be all set.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 27, 2013

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jng2058 posted:

Now, all we need to do is figure out how to resolve all our real world problems with giant robot fighting and we'd be all set.

Go on...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

What's "detrimental" is being lovely to the players, who are real people, because of your fanaticism about made-up future space kingdoms.

And when did I do that? All I did was comment, after a rash of "oh and now all the Davion guys are going to be jerks" comments why I happen to like Davion. And then have to explain why liking something ain't bad.

I'm not even rooting against the players here. That's my Atlas that's tottering on one leg, after all. And I'm the one who captured the Cyclops for you.

All I'm saying is:

1) I like House Davion.

2) I refuse to be be ashamed of liking House Davion.

If you've got a problem with those points, well, there's really nothing I can do for you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Andrevian posted:

Man. It's really hard to argue with a rubber vs. glue argument. So I won't.

The MoC has legalized rape.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

And catgirls. There is a picture in the ATOW companion. It is as bad as you think.

e: fixed contractions because wow, someone remembers me. :unsmith:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ No Human/Animal hybrids in BattleTech, and that's canon. Also: contractions!

Had, past tense. But yes, they're only slightly less terrible then the Tortuga Dominions (which doesn't have laws, per se. More... guidelines).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ No Human/Animal hybrids in BattleTech, and that's canon. Also: contractions!

Had, past tense. But yes, they're only slightly less terrible then the Tortuga Dominions (which doesn't have laws, per se. More... guidelines).

Nope! Instead, it is all cybernetics. I am talking some really freaky stuff, like people who had their real, actual legs chopped off so that prosthetics like a mermaid tail could be fitted on. I read that and I just started facepalming uncontrollably. The late Jihad gets kind of... quirky.

Here is the picture I am talking about : Work safe, no worries, it is in an actual official published Battletech product and that amuses me greatly. It is part of the section that talks about radical prosthetic 'upgrades'.

:battletech:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 27, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

e: fixed contractions because wow, someone remembers me. :unsmith:

You went 6 months without posting in this thread. You were called out for your foul contractions within a minute. That is boss as hell.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Epic, but lets also remember that he was linking the worst thing about battletech ever while being called out so there is that.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

holy poo poo, what?

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
That is true, yeah. The BT writers can be creepy rapenards. Like what happened with Interstellar Ops, where they back-edited some stuff to add more rape back into the game.

e: added link.

Andrevian fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 28, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

holy poo poo, what?

Past-tense, but in the same day-and-age when the Rim Worlds Republic had legalized slavery (they were Space Romans), the Magistracy were Space Amazons and men weren't allowed to say 'no.'

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Past-tense, but in the same day-and-age when the Rim Worlds Republic had legalized slavery (they were Space Romans), the Magistracy were Space Amazons and men weren't allowed to say 'no.'

They were? Huh, I always thought the Marian Hegemony was the Space Romans.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

...but it's okay, because everyone knows the guys really want it :downs:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ There was no 'it's Ok but' anywhere in what I said. It's a stupid plot point they inserted as a footnote to make the Magistracy seem more edgy and grimdark back in the 90s and lol feminazis amirite? but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid, poorly-considered plot point.

jng2058 posted:

They were? Huh, I always thought the Marian Hegemony was the Space Romans.

The Star League was also Space Rome. There have been a lot of Space Romans in BattleTech. The Free Worlds League are the Space Byzantines.

The Marian Hegemony are also expatriate Rim Worlders. There's a reason I put the NRWR where I did.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Holy poo poo I know that movie!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ There was no 'it's Ok but' anywhere in what I said. It's a stupid plot point they inserted as a footnote to make the Magistracy seem more edgy and grimdark back in the 90s and lol feminazis amirite? but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid, poorly-considered plot point.

Wait, so they went right past dipping their toes in the almost benign pool of "we don't get that non-consensual sex is still rape when a woman does it to a man" and straight for a cannonball into the deep end?

That's...disheartening.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2013

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Star League was also Space Rome. There have been a lot of Space Romans in BattleTech. The Free Worlds League are the Space Byzantines.

Given that every country or person with imperial ambitions since Rome has wanted to be Rome in real life too, I can't really blame them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Voyager I posted:

Wait, so they went right past dipping their toes in the almost benign pool of "we don't get that non-consensual sex is still rape when a woman does it to a man" and straight for a cannonball into the deep end?

That's...disheartening.

The authors are particularly backward when it comes to gender politics.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Nope! Instead, it is all cybernetics. I am talking some really freaky stuff, like people who had their real, actual legs chopped off so that prosthetics like a mermaid tail could be fitted on. I read that and I just started facepalming uncontrollably. The late Jihad gets kind of... quirky.

Here is the picture I am talking about : Work safe, no worries, it is in an actual official published Battletech product and that amuses me greatly. It is part of the section that talks about radical prosthetic 'upgrades'.

:battletech:

What's really amusing is what mindset you have to be to cut off your perfectly good human legs for prosthetic catgirl/mermaid/whatever legs to entertain others.

I mean, the Manei Domini and black ops units of the Inner Sphere have a very good excuse. They're all fanatical, they all work in a world that's a young man's game and where you need literally every edge you can get... and what does it matter if you die at 50 instead of at 80? You don't want to live in a world where you can't be shooting two guns while hanging upside down inside a space station. And if you've got the dermal myomer and the endosteel skeletal reinforcements and the augmented prosthetic eyes, you can shoot first, take more damage, and move faster with more weight, and that's enough to let you get way more years of work doing what you love to do.

What kind of person is crazy enough to cut their legs off to be a better actress?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

MJ12 posted:

What kind of person is crazy enough to cut their legs off to be a better actress?
You underestimate the human drive for fame.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arujei posted:

You underestimate the human drive for fame.

Yeah, given some of the shenanigans that go on in Hollywood especially in the 'golden age' and how quickly and brutally a lot of actors and actresses got/get burnt out and died early... I have to say that is one of the few aspects of the whole ball of ugly that does not ring completely false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

MJ12 posted:

What's really amusing is what mindset you have to be to cut off your perfectly good human legs for prosthetic catgirl/mermaid/whatever legs to entertain others.

I mean, the Manei Domini and black ops units of the Inner Sphere have a very good excuse. They're all fanatical, they all work in a world that's a young man's game and where you need literally every edge you can get... and what does it matter if you die at 50 instead of at 80? You don't want to live in a world where you can't be shooting two guns while hanging upside down inside a space station. And if you've got the dermal myomer and the endosteel skeletal reinforcements and the augmented prosthetic eyes, you can shoot first, take more damage, and move faster with more weight, and that's enough to let you get way more years of work doing what you love to do.

Well the picture made it look like the limbs were modular, so maybe she's willing to plop on regular ol' cybernetics after she's done with the catgirl thing?

But yeah, it's still hosed up.

edit: and I can't say I'm that shocked by the backwards-rear end stance of some of the writers and gender politics considering what the hardcore elements of their fanbase are like.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 28, 2013

• Locked thread