Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Second, your top two starters are ripped from the Juggernauts, a team that perennially underachieved, so it can't be that surprising that they wouldn't lead your team to victory. I mean, how many times did you see factorialite's team fall apart like this? And why do they struggle? Well, Mathewson is very young and, fairly or not, Mogul tends to make young pitchers a bit erratic. As for Johnson, he's old, and doesn't have much power. So, it's easy to see how that could have gone wrong, especially since, fair or not, Mogul doesn't really like your infield defenders.

But the thing is, they did brilliantly. My team lead the league in ERA for most of the season. What more can I want? That said, I still want to know what the defensive efficiency scores are because if I have to turn over my infielders for better fielders thats something I can do.

As for the power/banks/corner outfielders thing, yeah I see where you are coming from but they won 100 games last year even with me resting the entire lineup in the last month. Banks wasn't worth 30 wins over yount, so what the hell has happened. Similarly, I know Larry Walker/Beltran isn't a great outfield platoon, but they got the job done last season. The analysis 'yeah your corner outfield guys are not good enough and the ernie banks trade was bad' doesn't help me diagnose anything I can fix, aside from perhaps committing sepeku. I think what your getting at is that losing Ernie Banks power has put the team over a tipping point where they cannot drive the runs home effectively and my lineup is unable to sustain a sequential offense resulting in an offensive collapse - which fits with my runs scored barely exceed my runs allowed.

If that's the case my original analysis is correct. As the team mostly runs it self due to the heavy use of platooning, there is nothing to do but wait and see if I survive the gauntlet and try and make some trades.

I would still appreciate that defense and slugging infomation.

VVV: Nah, there's bad luck and there's losing an expect 155 runs (Holy gently caress what the loving christ gently caress!) created by my offense. The offense is unquestionably badly misdesigned at this point. 155! gently caress! That's not bad luck, that's diabolical.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Cthulhu, it's probably just bad luck bro.

e: Wait, no, it's not. You have major problems. Blow up your team and trade me good players for pennies on the dollar.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Cthulhu, it's probably just bad luck bro.

e: Wait, no, it's not. You have major problems. Blow up your team and trade me good players for pennies on the dollar.

I'd buy barry bonds ;) For Say, Billy Williams, Bob Johnson and the Mystery Letter!

Actually, if that is the problem there are things we can do about this

Let's not give up yet, if the problem is we don't have much power and the contact hitters cannot get it done, let's Summon the Groundskeepers!

Cut the grass as short as it can go!
Kick all the fans out of centre field and install a new sight-screen, increasing visibility to excellent
increase the quality of the infield by 3

The sight screen may backfire a bit, but Johnson, Mathewson and Collins don't exactly strike many people out so let's hopefully attack other people's pitching.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 27, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joe Sewell?!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Cthulu, your problem is that, for all of your talk of "math" and "statistic", you just failed to see what was important... You failed to embrace the spirit of the super-league! You never just went "gently caress it" and traded for a player because you liked his name, or tried to build your team around a theme, or briefly attempted to post in-character! All of these things may seem silly, but they're necessary, if you want to know what this LP is really about...

Also, send in the Saint!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

But the thing is, they did brilliantly. My team lead the league in ERA for most of the season. What more can I want? That said, I still want to know what the defensive efficiency scores are because if I have to turn over my infielders for better fielders thats something I can do.

As for the power/banks/corner outfielders thing, yeah I see where you are coming from but they won 100 games last year even with me resting the entire lineup in the last month. Banks wasn't worth 30 wins over yount, so what the hell has happened. Similarly, I know Larry Walker/Beltran isn't a great outfield platoon, but they got the job done last season. The analysis 'yeah your corner outfield guys are not good enough and the ernie banks trade was bad' doesn't help me diagnose anything I can fix, aside from perhaps committing sepeku. I think what your getting at is that losing Ernie Banks power has put the team over a tipping point where they cannot drive the runs home effectively and my lineup is unable to sustain a sequential offense resulting in an offensive collapse - which fits with my runs scored barely exceed my runs allowed.

If that's the case my original analysis is correct. As the team mostly runs it self due to the heavy use of platooning, there is nothing to do but wait and see if I survive the gauntlet and try and make some trades.

I would still appreciate that defense and slugging infomation.

VVV: Nah, there's bad luck and there's losing an expect 155 runs (Holy gently caress what the loving christ gently caress!) created by my offense. The offense is unquestionably badly misdesigned at this point. 155! gently caress! That's not bad luck, that's diabolical.

Given how badly your shortstops have played, I think Banks it probably worth five or so wins, which would be enough to get you into the playoffs this season.

Also, I think the biggest misapprehension that you're operating under is that your team performed at an average level last season. I think the 100 wins they notched last season was probably about the upper limit of their abilities. With the players you have on hand at the moment. I think the Cultists are probably a team who will average around 90 wins in the Super-League, sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Defensive Efficiency - .704 (T-3rd, lg. average .693)
Slugging Average - .401 (6th, lg. average .401)

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
This is interesting.

What should I be looking to fix with my team, not necessarily through trades this season but through the draft next season?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
:siren:NEW ORLEANS MASHERS TRADE OFFER:siren:

Also, looking at how woeful some of the catchers are in the EC, Mitch Meluskey could server as an appreciable stopgap (He had an (86/95 rating in the EC!)! Offer me an 85+-OVR reliever and we'll go from there!

Ted Simmons is also available, also! Floor in the mid-80's, but sky's the limit on this guy! Offer for me. Looking for relievers and backup players better than the trash I'm currently sending out there! If you're hurting for starters, I could throw in one of my myriad starters sent to the bullpen because of bad rolls! Trading Simmons, I'd need to get back an 85+ IFer and an 85+ reliever OR a really good reliever.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 27, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

mentholmoose posted:

Platoon Petrocelli and Molitor at third for the week.

So I don't know why I posted this, since they're both righties. :iiam:

Just have Molitor start full time at third for now. Hopefully the off-days before and after the W's series will be enough rest for Berkman and Molitor.

e: Still shopping 2011 David Ortiz for a righty bat.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If we're discussing Negro league shortstops, I'd take this guy:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Smasher League Week 21 Injury Report

Barons
Fred Lynn (OF) (Symbiote needs new host!) - 35 days
Del Rice (C) (Caught in a Ferengi episode) - 8 days

Cleveland Commies
Bryce Harper (OF) (Thought you could just waltz back into the thread and put Harper in your lineup, did you?) - 12 days

Luna Landers
Josh Gibson (C) (I have no meniscus, and I must scream) - 12 days
Rick Reuschel (SP) (The moon is a harsh mistress, and Reuschel forgot the safe word) - 14 days

Spokane Air Raids
Whitey Ford (SP) (Tried to mix Doritos and Mr. Pibb with tragic consequences) - 15 days
C.J. Wilson (SP) (Base jumping!) - 36 days

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Rick Reuschel (SP) (The moon is a harsh mistress, and Reuschel forgot the safe word) - 14 days

Ha! To be fair, it's hard to pronounce "tanstaafl."

Yoshida will make the delivery, in the finest traditions of The Knuckle Squad.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yoshida will do it or die trying. Preferably succeed and die.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Power is a myth. For my guys, anyway. Morgan out for Gordon, please. When Rodriguez is back I will be able to do some minor shuffling, but I think by and large this is it, barring a miracle Gauntlet run. I'd suggest you all start eying up my team for the draft, but I really only have a couple of first-round worthy players.

Also, Yoshida.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Power is a myth. For my guys, anyway. Morgan out for Gordon, please. When Rodriguez is back I will be able to do some minor shuffling, but I think by and large this is it, barring a miracle Gauntlet run. I'd suggest you all start eying up my team for the draft, but I really only have a couple of first-round worthy players.

Also, Yoshida.

Hey, I'll trade you '28 Hornsby for Joe Morgan and Chuck Klein

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Yeah, when I had that one bad week I knew I was done for this season. Here are a few roster moves.

Fred Lynn to the DL, Yaz can come up.

Lineups

VS RHP
2B Red Schoendienst
RF Enos Slaughter
LF Stan Musial
1B Prince Fielder
DH Jim Rice
3B Brooks Robinson
C Carlton Fisk
CF Max Carey
SS Honus Wagner

VS LHP
SS Honus Wagner
2B Red Schoendienst
LF Stan Musial
1B Prince Fielder
DH Jim Rice
RF Dwight Evans
3B Brooks Robinson
CF Max Carey
C Carlton Fisk

And Mark Grace doesn't send anyone else in to do his job

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 21: The Royal Rumble!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

ROGER CLEMENS THROWS NO-HITTER, ORANGES WIN 1-0

Mandalay- In a season full of indignities for the Burma Imperialists, this may have been the most frustrating.

Don Sutton and two other relievers combined to hold to the Oranges to just one run and three hits, and were still outpitched as Roger Clemens notched a no-hitter against the increasingly woeful Imperialists.

Viscount Slim, whose team appears to be not long for the Super-League, appeared resigned to his fate, "Oh, that empires fall is of no great revelation to me. Since the time of Rome, and even centuries before, the greatest works of man are reduced to rubble in short order. Augustus' great city is naught but a shrunken raisin of its former glory. Charlemagne's empire is split into pieces. Even the great Mahomet's mighty domain, where once the Moors took Spain from the Goths, is but an ancient memory. And so too must my Imperialists fall, I see that now. But, before we are dragged down into perdition, there to burn for all time, others will feel our dying rage, and oldskool, I swear to you that your Oranges shall be sent to hell ere we go down. If were are damned, then we will not be the only ones."

As for oldskool, he was clearly focused on other things, "Today's game leaves more questions than answers. Questions such as "Can The Miz learn how to properly apply the figure four leg-lock before he wins the U.S. Championship? Can the Big Show possibly put on his second decent match against Alberto Del Rio? Will WWE make CM Punk look like a loser against the Rock, or will they make him look like a complete loser? And can John Cena find some odds that he can overcome en route to winning the Royal Rumble? Find out tonight, or you'll ruin John Cena's cyberlife at...THE ROYAL RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!"

Hearing of this, Viscount Slim amended his comments, "I truly, truly, truly hate you oldskool. You are like a mangy dog that walks around the countryside spreading disease and when the only responsible man in town comes with his shotgun to put you down, for the good of everyone in the community, all the children run up and say, "My lord, I beg you, please do not shoot this dog, he just needs a little love, a little care, and then he can be our pet." But the children are wrong. The dog is sick and brings only more sickness, and he will never be anything more than a burden. And when you shoot this dog, when you do the right thing, everyone treats you like a blackguard, when you alone showed the courage to truly help the people. The Oranges must be put down, and we will be the team to do it."

GAME NOTES

-Eddie Collins did not play in today's game because Viscount Slim has mentally checked out.

-oldskool has failed in his attempt to assemble the Power Plant Softball team from The Simpsons, proving that he is a failure as a human being.

-WORDS!

Box Score

Don May posted:

Antarctica- blackmongoose gave a mildly interesting speech today.

"For too long, we have waited. Season after season, time after time, we have been passed over, denied our rightful chance to prove our greatness, or righteousness in the playoffs of the Super-League. We are the future of the league, the future of mankind, but we are ignored. We have built a great team, but the people still pretend as though we do not exist. They talk up the Corporatist Marauder Syndicate, the Statist Losers, the Theocratic Coburns, and now these Communistic Tornados. Each representing a different failed way of running a society. We are to believe that these are the real contenders. Clearly, they are not. The champion of Super-League VIII must by the Unspecifieds. For too long, the Super-League has been caught in drowsy state of semi-consciousness where the great mass of teams are held down by those who have successfully bent the rules for their own purposes. That is emblematic of society, where the rich use their powers to steal from the poor."

The Unspecifieds' owner continued talking for a while after that, but no new information was given out, other than vague threats involving, "the Council of Silence", and the promise that, "The Automatons of Hope will certainly triumph over the Knights of Cynicism," which was an allusion, of course, to the traditional epigram attributed to Plutarch that says, "Ever shall the mechanical man defeat the mounted knight, as long as the sun does light the sky."

UltimoDragonQuest was unavailable for comment, due to some manner of Kingly Kombat, or some similar nonsense. But, had he been there, he likely would have complained once again that Smasher still thought that he and his team had no personality, which, it must be said, have been a series of jokes that have been more clever than funny, and therefore need no further repetition here.

Steve, Prince of Space, announced that his own theory on the Tornados' loss, namely that, "This contest, and most of our contests, suffers an appalling like of Steve. Did you know that I can play nearly any position on the field? Yes, even catcher! And, with all due respect to Mr. Bresnahan, a redoubtable fellow, I could certainly perform the duties of the backstop at levels far beyond that man."

GAME NOTES

-I'm looking forward to the off-season more than you guys could possibly imagine.

-The Unspecifieds lost the game when Sparky Lyle, a left-handed reliever, suddenly found himself unable to retire a single right-handed batter in the bottom of the 11th inning, instead walking all three of the righties he faced in that inning. This appears to be a fluke occurrence, as he had been solid in nearly all of his previous outings with the Tornados.

Box Score

Can no team stop the Finger-Bangers?

: Finger-Bangers against the Losers! The ultimate confrontation!
: Wow, and the Losers are just going to kill the Bangers 16-1 in the first game of the series. They're trying to make a statement. Which appears to be 'I'm going to kill you, Marauder."

: And the Bangers win Game 2, saving three of their four titles.
: That's disappointing for the Losers, who really wanted to make the strongest statement possible here.

: Well, the Losers will take the Hardcore title with an 18-1 win. Just brutal, and that has got to make ToiletofSadness feel confident about this team.
: I'm sure he would have liked the sweep, but this will probably do. Two huge routs, and the Bangers suddenly don't look so invincible.

: Okay, the Unicorns will now try and peel the Hardcore Title away from the Losers, but the Rockford team will win the first game.
: And Smasher, I'd like to take this time to give a special message to kw0134, who was rooting for me to be killed in the obit.

: The Losers retain the Hardcore Title with another win, and they're looking ready for the playoffs.
: kw0134, I will never die. Ever. This LP could run for a hundred years, and I would be around for every season. But you? You and your Generics are going to die, and soon, and I'm going to enjoy watching their total annihilation.

: Uh...Unicorns win, accomplishing not much of anything, and Yoshida, this really isn't-
: I'M NOT DEAD, KW0134, YOU'RE DEAD! YOU AND YOUR loving TEAM, YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD!

: Wow. She really doesn't like that guy. Anyway, Losers-Spooners next week, and then either Losers-Pessimists or Spooners-Oranges.

Team Statistics

Analysis

How does Carl Hubbell have almost 200 innings and only 15 decisions? That's just bizarre.

Analysis

The Unspecifieds just might make it to the playoffs this time. I'd feel a bit more confident if your pitching wasn't based on hope and scotch tape, but that's still progress.

Analysis

And now the Imperialists get to play the red-hot Coburns and then the Finger-Bangers because Mogul wants them to die. I'd say Collins should come back but, gently caress, even he isn't hitting for you this year.

Analysis

You've been struggling a bit against tougher competition lately, but with only five weeks left, you'd really have to gently caress up to miss the playoffs.

Analysis

You're one game out of making the playoffs, and it has been a weirdly long time since you made the playoffs. Let's make this happen.

Analysis

Can you win the division? Well, it's only two and a half games, and you have five weeks and one more series against the Losers, so it is possible, but I'd be satisfied with making the playoffs.

Analysis

Just a nightmare of a season, but that happens from time to time.

Analysis

Who the hell knows what happened to your hitting? Perhaps Pete Alexander can cure all hurts.

Analysis

Keep trying.

Analysis

Only three titles left! Now what will you do?

Analysis

Holy gently caress, the Spooners are going to survive the season! And I'm not even sure how. Ed Walsh, I guess.

Analysis

You're one good hitter away from surviving. But I don't know where you'd even get one at this point.

Analysis

: Let me give you a sneak-peek at your obit: "The Generics died today...and no one cared."

Analysis

The Losers are as solid as ever.

Analysis

Everybody get up...it's time to slam now...we've got a really jam goin' down...

Also, because I like you, the Space Jam will be available to you throughout the Gauntlet.

Analysis

My dream is the Bloggers and Cultists destroying each other in the Gauntlet. And I'm closer than ever to making that happen!

Standings and Leaders

A. St. Mark Bellhorn - 4 votes

B. Eri Yoshida - 6 votes

C. Mark Grace - 5 votes

Well, it wasn't like Yoshida was much for fighting anyway. Mark Grace handed her the bomb, and sent her on her way.

Taking care of the guards...that would be tough. Hell, you'd have to be crazy to think that only two guys could take care of the dozen or so guards around the tower's perimeter. You'd have to be mad....

...You'd have to have...Marks Madness!

Mark Grace made a note to copyright that for use as a possible tag team name for him and Mark Bellhorn.

The battle was brief and unremarkable, for no faceless mass of thugs could stand up to the full fury of the Saint, who crushed many a skull with his combination mace/baseball bat. And after the last enemy had been slain, St. Mark Bellhorn did nod his head, for it was just another of his many great deeds.

And then Yoshida ran from the tower screaming, "I meant to set it for five minutes, not 50 seconds!" But, the three heroes were able to get to a safe distance in time, and no one of them was slain, despite kw0134's most sincere hopes.

Having done this, the team was then returned to Marauder's satellite. He did not seem all that happy to see them, "You blew up the tower, but we've got a bigger problem now. Take a look at this..." Marauder turned on a screen nearby which focused on what looked like some sort of space-warship in orbit around Earth. "This is Earth-5, a pretty mediocre universe, all things considered. Still, we should probably save it....but I can't really spare much manpower. I've got another bomb, but I can only send one person to destroy this ship and, truth be told, it's likely a suicide mission for whoever undertakes, unless that person has a whole lot of luck. So, Mark Grace, who should go?"

DECISION TIME

Who will Mark Grace send to their likely death?

-Mark Grace

-St. Mark Bellhorn

-Eri Yoshida

-Johnny Hopp

-The Chosen Dunn

-Rance Mullinix

-El Greco Hombre

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
He's called The chosen for a reason, Chosen Dunn.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Which player is the one most likely to survive on nonsensical bullshit and sheer dumb luck?

Chosen Dunn, you're up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

vs. Righties
3B Mcgraw
LF Hamilton
CF Speaker
SS Banks
C Campanella
1B Kelley
RF Steve
2B Stephenson

Mark Grace

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The Chosen Dunn will be more than willing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Only a few weeks left, you know what that means: ridiculous tinkering!

New rotation:
Clemens
Eckersley (yeah this will destroy his arm but the Gauntlet is a reroll so who cares, let's see what happens!)
Welch
Brown
SUMMON THE JOBA :black101:

Closer: Wagner
Setup: Nathan
SR: Reardon, Neshek
MR: Franco
LR: Viola

Since we're calling up Joba and Franco, send Falkenberg and Ellis to AAA.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Never underestimate The Chosen Dunn.

Also holy poo poo, the Spooners are actually pulling through! We're the 2010 San Diego Padres of Mogul. (That is to say, a team that is going to miss the playoffs but shock people by getting anywhere near them in the first place.)

Just gonna tinker with the Bullpen a bit here, since everything seems to be working all right. (Oh wait, I'm playing the Losers next :suicide:)

Just move Gonzalez to the bench and put Hamels there in his place. Put Quiz in short relief.

New Bullpen:
LRP Earl Whitehill (1923)
MRP Cole Hamels (2011)
RP Dan Quisenberry (1979)
RP Pedro Martinez (1994)
SU Willie Hernandez (1986)
CL Tom Henke (1985)

UZworm fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Looks like my offense is starting to find itself a little, but Bender's inevitable regression (not to mention Lolich's) has made my pitching look much shakier. Still well in the hunt, though; just gotta play up to my Pythag. Won't be easy this week, though.

Changes:
- Back to the 4-man rotation, with Lolich the odd man out (Hoss should still start my next game). Set my Start On Short Rest slider to 0 to hopefully prevent any kind of hosed-up shenanigans.
- Shuffle Cano, Puckett, and Fisk in the batting order vsR
- Bill Freehan personally catches Hoss, Cash gets the other three.

e: Forgot about the :siren: Al McBean Watch :siren:

Royal Rumble Favorite Al McBean pitched only one inning this week, striking out two and allowing 0 runs. Totals: 13.2 IP, 24 K, 0.00 ERA, 1 S. It's magically delicious!

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 28, 2013

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Wow, I touched a nerve there. Anyway, Yoshida gets to do the honors, though it looks like Dunn is going to win that dubious honor.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Bring up Ames and put him in for Grimes

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Why is this an option? Surely a suicide mission with little to no chance of returning is a fine job for Rance!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Summon Dunn

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 22 Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Al Worthington (RP) (First World Problems) - 17 days

Burma Imperialists
J.D. Drew (OF) (Vacation!) - Out for Season

Cancun Tornados
John Hiller (RP) (Mojito Poisoning) - 18 days

Cleveland Unicorns
Mark McGwire (1B) (Walked around in Cleveland at night) - 20 days

Coburns
Rich Gossage (RP) (Did not believe in Coburn hard enough) - 7 days
George Brett (3B) (The Great James Garner Heresy) - 15 days

Web 2.0 Bloggers
Babe Herman (OF) (Oh! Awesome! More loving spreadsheets for me to look at! loving fantastic!) - 12 days

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Smasher, you're in luck, Magglio is just gonna step in for him.

On the other hand, maybe I should stop thinking "wow, I wish I could get Magglio Ordonez more PA."

e: Oooh, and when he comes back, if Gehrig is still playing like poo poo, maybe Bonds could go to 1B and and and

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mornacale posted:

Yowch, you are pretty picked-over, plus Marauder already got the best guys that were left. How about Old Slaughter plus '42 Ernie White and Bill Lohrman for '67 Ken Holtzman? Holtzman's injured for me but he won't have taken that ratings hit for you. Of course, he's still not someone you want to take into SL as a starter, but none of those guys coming my way are ever likely to make it out of AAA either.

I'd also be open to discussing Whitey Ford for two starters, if you're interested.

I'd rather pass on the first, gonna kick Slaughter's tires and see if I can't make him into a DH maybe. Couldn't be worse than Woodling.

Trading Ford for 2 starters interests me on the surface, but in particulars it seems meh, like it'd be unfair in one direction (I want Old Hoss and Lolich!) or the other (Ford for Holtzmann and Pappas).

JD Drew getting injured is the JD Drewingest thing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

I'd rather pass on the first, gonna kick Slaughter's tires and see if I can't make him into a DH maybe. Couldn't be worse than Woodling.

Trading Ford for 2 starters interests me on the surface, but in particulars it seems meh, like it'd be unfair in one direction (I want Old Hoss and Lolich!) or the other (Ford for Holtzmann and Pappas).

JD Drew getting injured is the JD Drewingest thing.

Don't forget that you have several rounds of Dispersal Draft picks that ought to get you a better DH than 38-year-old Slaughter. (I'd also be willing to deal just for the picks.)

For Ford, I'd like to try to put something on the table involving Mickey Lolich, but the more I look the more I get confused about how good Whitey Ford actually is (mostly because he pitched so much better than his peripherals, historically). Feel free to let me know your thoughts, and I'll take a closer look at him after work if there's a deal to be made.

e: Okay, gently caress waiting til after work. After long minutes of study of SuperLeague history, I've concluded that I have grave concerns about Ford's effectiveness; I think whatever made him a great pitcher doesn't translate well to Mogul. Even Pappas for Ford straight up would worry me. So probably nothing to be done there. I would be willing to part with a couple of lesser names to take a shot on Mort Cooper, though, if you're not confident in his EC performance holding up.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2013

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

Hey, I'll trade you '28 Hornsby for Joe Morgan and Chuck Klein
Poor as Klein has been this year, trading away my best player almost irregardless of what i'd be getting in return would be a bad idea. And Hornsby doesn't help me much.

Mark Grace doesn't send others to die in his place.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

I'd prefer to get to a new page if at all possible, so if you expansion owners want to ask me questions about your teams, now would be a good time to do it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Voting for The Chosen Dunn.

e: Since Mornacale is not interested in trading for Ford, I would be. Take a look over the Failures roster and see if there are any guys you'd be interested in. Keep in mind, though, I don't really have depth, so if you're expecting a lot, prepare to be disappointed.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

You better believe I'm taking pitching in the drafts. My hitting isn't a problem area.

Whitey though? He's not too young in absolute terms, but it's only his 3rd season, and he was still a bit wild (4+ BB/9). He had a smaller K/9IP at larger ballparks, suggesting he'd sometimes pitch to contact with the general idea of avoiding home runs (which he did fairly well). K/9 wasn't Bob Gibson, but for his era is was solid, and his H/9 was consistently good. He's not exactly Mark Buehrle in terms of performance beating out his peripherals.

I'm leaning towards him having a bad year, I'm thinking he should get his ERA well below 4 in SL.

I didn't know enough about Lolich (or maybe had Hawk talking him up at some point during White Sox games and I've been slightly brainwashed into thinking he's amazing). Looking back at him, not very enamored with his stuff. He had a relatively short peak (mostly two legitimately good years) and a sense that there's a lot of okay filler. Whitey, on the other hand, pretty much had an entire career at near-peak with two seasons that destroy any of Lolich, and his leaderboard appearances on bbref suggest he was far better compared to his peers than Lolich.

So I learned something!

That I probably won't deal until I can hammer down what weaknesses remain after the dispersal draft.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I'd prefer to get to a new page if at all possible, so if you expansion owners want to ask me questions about your teams, now would be a good time to do it.

How many rounds are in the dispersal draft? Is it only the players on the rosters of the disbanded teams, or also feeders?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Pander posted:

How many rounds are in the dispersal draft? Is it only the players on the rosters of the disbanded teams, or also feeders?

Last season, it was three rounds, with a sandwich pick for the winner of the playoff pick 'em - I won it last season, and used the pick on '80 Rickey Henderson.

I think Smasher takes the players from the Gauntlet rosters for five or six teams that get eliminated early in the Gauntlet and makes them available. So no feeders.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Harvard Elites Questions

1) Overall what do you think of the team?

2)I think my first job in the draft is to either draft a SS or a 3B, move to Bonilla to right and then make Bonds the DH. Would you agree with this assesment?

3) I am a bit afraid of the back end of the rotation, does someone like Drabek, SMiley, and Vukovhich stand a chance in SL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Only 3, eh?

Hrm. Bullpen's probably not going to wait.

How closely does BBM follow declines? '54 version of Slaughter was barely treading water...would it start him out okay and the have him fall rapidly during the season, or would he start low and keep going? Also looking at my Reynolds and Konstanty for the same reason...

Also, Gyroball's BBM LP taught me that Mark Teahen is a bonafide inner circle HoF pick. Can I have his fictitious version of Teahen? (I will also take his version of Ray King or Objectivist Jeter).

Any recommendations as to where to get BBM? Are there any particular reasons to get one version over the other, or is it primarily just updated rosters?

Has Johnny Hopp really been utilized enough in the past to deserve an adorable avatar? My team's awful and I can barely justify fielding him.