Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Now that's a helluva shot right there. Those colors are sublime.

Druckman posted:

For my submission, here's a shot from our recent New England fog.

Link-Belt by AllLightIsGood, on Flickr
I'm hoping that the color of the window and crane arm (along with the branches) creates a strong pull into the center. Does it work out? General comments?

The color indeed pulls the eye to the center but I'm also drawn to the tree trunk in the upper-right-hand corner. A tighter crop around the rig might help, maybe even a squarish crop. I'd also try to push the contrast a little bit more, make the hanging branches pop out from the background a little. Heck, I think you'd have a pretty good BW conversion on your hands if you wanted to, although you'd lose the color as your pull to the center.

It has been forever and a day since I put anything in here, but I just got some stuff developed and scanned, here are a few...

IMG_0001 by skypny, on Flickr

IMG_0004 by skypny, on Flickr

IMG_0003 by skypny, on Flickr
Accidental double exposure (that I thought looked somewhat neat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

You appear to have taken a picture of Yggdrasil, and that is bad rear end.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Druckman posted:

I'll give these a shot.
1. The woman is in a weird posture/expression that I don't know how to interpret. The lights in the background are distracting.
Edit: I just realized that she is pretending to be resistant to wearing her husband's jacket.
2. I like this one the best. Good facial expressions and focus seems sharp. Background is still distracting (but you knew that). You could clone out some lights to help some here but that poll coming out of her head is problematic.
3. It's good that you opened up the aperture to try to mute the background distractions (like all the shots), but that white railing going up her butt ruins the shot for me.
I think the situation (crappy backgrounds) beat you down on this shoot.

For my submission, here's a shot from our recent New England fog.

Link-Belt by AllLightIsGood, on Flickr
I'm hoping that the color of the window and crane arm (along with the branches) creates a strong pull into the center. Does it work out? General comments?

Worked out great for me, my eyes went straight to the crane arm mostly because of the color and maybe unconsciously because of the branches (not sure tho). I like the composition and the tones. Reminds me I have to get my rear end out there more often on foggy days.

Had access to a studio for 2 days.... miraculously managed to have it fully booked. Here are some random quick compilation.

Before-After-Annie by avoyer, on Flickr

Before-After-Kim by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4341 by avoyer, on Flickr

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My first few outings with my new (and first) SLR:

Bolsa Chica Conservancy 2013-01-20 at 16-37-07 by bpetiprin, on Flickr

Bolsa Chica Conservancy 2013-01-20 at 16-16-20 by bpetiprin, on Flickr

DSC_0044 by bpetiprin, on Flickr

DSC_0149 by bpetiprin, on Flickr

DSC_0101 by bpetiprin, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Might want to read the thread rules and edit your post before they get you a new probation.

I like this a lot, but wouldn't mind seeing a bit more shadow detail in the foreground.

e: Ignore this, I was looking at it on a crappy screen before and it looks great now I see it properly.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 22, 2013

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

beergod posted:

My first few outings with my new (and first) SLR:

Congrats on the new camera. I see that you have a thing for signs here, but these all feel like snapshots. For lack of a better way of putting it, none of these say anything (The signs say things, but that's not what I'm talking about). Why not shoot some animals, or people, or the landscapes that the signs are in?

My contribution: Some weird photos, I wanted to try something different. Is there anything redeeming about any of these?

abstract by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Untitled by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

spooky by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xenilk posted:

Worked out great for me, my eyes went straight to the crane arm mostly because of the color and maybe unconsciously because of the branches (not sure tho). I like the composition and the tones. Reminds me I have to get my rear end out there more often on foggy days.

Had access to a studio for 2 days.... miraculously managed to have it fully booked. Here are some random quick compilation.

Before-After-Annie by avoyer, on Flickr

Before-After-Kim by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4341 by avoyer, on Flickr

These are more of the work where you do a makeover for the person, correct? Quality wise they are both good but I don't know if the direction taken in the first one comes off the right way. Did she choose the dress? My eyes go right to her hips, and subjectively I think that she has more flattering features from the waist up. In addition to the dress, the pose and framing also really draw my eyes to the tops of the thighs and hips. She is also looking too orange on my monitor.

I like the third one. I have really been trying to pay attention to baby photos - not just because I have one bu because it is a field that seems to have so much poo poo and it is nice to see well done pictures. Did you crop the dad's head in post or while shooting? With a baby photo it seems like faces are a given point of focus, and to start with my eyes on the baby and then up to the dad but being blocked by the frame is a little jarring. That's not to say that I don't like it but then I go on to see the baby's foot cut, the dad's elbow cut and really all I am left with to go back to is the baby's face which is at an odd spot in the frame. Does it ultimately work? I don't know but I do like looking at it, and the processing and other technical aspects are strong.

Of the three, I like this the most. Can't really say too much other than that - I like looking at it more than the first because of its simplicity and ambiguity.
----

Speaking of babies, my wife and daughter came out with me today so that I could test a location for some headshots that I will be doing for a musician friend tomorrow. I am getting paid in beer, and as much of a joke as that seems to be it is the first time I will be "paid" anything for photos so I wanted to go out today to test the light during sunset and try to be as prepared as possible. I would also like to get into doing family pictures this year for others (it is a New Year's resolution), so everything like this I also consider to be practice and trying to get good enough to feel comfortable charging real life bucks.

DSC01468 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSC01472 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I feel like my landscapes are generally always a bit off, likely because a lot of my shooting is rushed due to having a 10 month old in tow all the time and I have to take what I can get. But still, any advice is appreciated.

DSC01450 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

rio fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 21, 2013

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

RazalasSol posted:

My contribution: Some weird photos, I wanted to try something different. Is there anything redeeming about any of these?

There totally is, abstract imagery is something that's actually pretty hard to do well in photography, and I like how this kind of sits a little closer to painting rather than recording.

How'd you achieve the effect?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

Thank you for taking it out so I guess it's not technically rule breaking so instead of probating you for prior rule breaking, I'm just going to be silly.

I appreciate both the mercy, and the Robert Frost. Thank you.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RazalasSol posted:

Of the three, the first one is the one that speaks to me. Colors remind me of H.Bosch palettes, the subject is somewhat disquieting, it manages to instill a feeling without being very clear about what's on the pic.

The second doesn't do much for me. There isn't enough detail on the right part to be actually meaningful and the light, to me, is at the same time uninteresting and central.

The third is better than the second in that there is enough textures and shapes to make you want to guess what's in there, but leaves you guessing.

If you say that you tried something different, I'd like you to stop doing trial-and-error and actually plan the feelings you want your pictures to evoke.

With that in mind, here's my contribution, I have been trying to do what I preach above. The pic is called "together". Story is spoilered below. Have at it.

Together di maxmars70, su Flickr

It's a story about the sad loss of a soulmate.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

rio posted:

These are more of the work where you do a makeover for the person, correct? Quality wise they are both good but I don't know if the direction taken in the first one comes off the right way. Did she choose the dress? My eyes go right to her hips, and subjectively I think that she has more flattering features from the waist up. In addition to the dress, the pose and framing also really draw my eyes to the tops of the thighs and hips. She is also looking too orange on my monitor.

I like the third one. I have really been trying to pay attention to baby photos - not just because I have one bu because it is a field that seems to have so much poo poo and it is nice to see well done pictures. Did you crop the dad's head in post or while shooting? With a baby photo it seems like faces are a given point of focus, and to start with my eyes on the baby and then up to the dad but being blocked by the frame is a little jarring. That's not to say that I don't like it but then I go on to see the baby's foot cut, the dad's elbow cut and really all I am left with to go back to is the baby's face which is at an odd spot in the frame. Does it ultimately work? I don't know but I do like looking at it, and the processing and other technical aspects are strong.

Of the three, I like this the most. Can't really say too much other than that - I like looking at it more than the first because of its simplicity and ambiguity.

Agreed with what you're saying, I usually ask them to bring a few dresses they feel most comfortable in. I agree that the selection of the first one is sort of weak, to be honest I was just eager to share some pictures the final before/after should be more representative of "best of".

As for the baby picture that's actually how I framed it, I think the crop is a bit too tight (always been a problem for me, still trying to work on that) but overall I'm pretty happy because holy molly it's hard to get the attention of a three months old baby haha even with noises having the mother near me he was just doing his own thing and biting his fingers (I think because his teeth are starting to grow) so all in all I'm fairly pleased with it even tho technically speaking the composition is a bit rougher than I would have liked.

Thank you for the complete critique, you summed up everything very well and I enjoyed reading it :)

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

XTimmy posted:

There totally is, abstract imagery is something that's actually pretty hard to do well in photography, and I like how this kind of sits a little closer to painting rather than recording.

How'd you achieve the effect?
Thanks.

The effect was achieved by hanging out in a dark room with a projector running, there was a smoke machine and some people wandering around. I used longer exposures (1 second on the first photo). I got the blur through moving the camera around slightly and zooming with my lens.

maxmars posted:

Of the three, the first one is the one that speaks to me. Colors remind me of H.Bosch palettes, the subject is somewhat disquieting, it manages to instill a feeling without being very clear about what's on the pic.

The second doesn't do much for me. There isn't enough detail on the right part to be actually meaningful and the light, to me, is at the same time uninteresting and central.

The third is better than the second in that there is enough textures and shapes to make you want to guess what's in there, but leaves you guessing.

If you say that you tried something different, I'd like you to stop doing trial-and-error and actually plan the feelings you want your pictures to evoke.

Thank you for the feedback. The first image is my favorite as well, I'm glad to know that it has some appeal for others. About the trial-and-error - I agree that ideally I would have a clearer concept in mind when working on more abstract images.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

maxmars posted:

With that in mind, here's my contribution, I have been trying to do what I preach above. The pic is called "together". Story is spoilered below. Have at it.

Purely as an image, I like it very much but didn't get sadness from it - more of a peacefulness and an ethereal quality. After seeing the spoiler, though, and paired with that concept it does come together nicely. I *might* have been tempted to take out the vignetting.

---
This was a quick shot - it had some empty space on the top from a featureless sky that I cropped out. Wasn't completely sure about the decision... I ultimately decided that it was not as important as trying to strengthen the overall composition.

Scan-130122-0007-Recovered by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

maxmars posted:

Love it, I really need to start focusing on telling some kind of story with a picture, in such a newbie mode right now, just taking pictures of things I think that are cool. I have a lot of respect for simple stuff like your pic, do get feeling of loneless looking at it. That's before I even read a spoiler!

Mobile Graffiti by deadreak, on Flickr

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Deadreak posted:

Love it, I really need to start focusing on telling some kind of story with a picture, in such a newbie mode right now, just taking pictures of things I think that are cool. I have a lot of respect for simple stuff like your pic, do get feeling of loneless looking at it. That's before I even read a spoiler!

Mobile Graffiti by deadreak, on Flickr

Why did you chop the rear end of the van off in your composition?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Purely as an image, I like it very much but didn't get sadness from it - more of a peacefulness and an ethereal quality. After seeing the spoiler, though, and paired with that concept it does come together nicely. I *might* have been tempted to take out the vignetting.

---
This was a quick shot - it had some empty space on the top from a featureless sky that I cropped out. Wasn't completely sure about the decision... I ultimately decided that it was not as important as trying to strengthen the overall composition.

Scan-130122-0007-Recovered by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Sometimes I want to give critique like "You took a picture of something boring. Why did you do that?".

This is one of those times.

For me, there is nothing compelling about this picture. The subject is boring.

I think I get that you were trying to go for the reflection in the water, a mirror image divided in the middle (I think). That's a fine concept, but I don't think it works for this picture.

Edit: to elaborate, I think there's not enough symmetry to make this interesting. I think the tree branches are too noisy and ruin the image. I think the curve of the bridge is problematic. It looks like you were attempting to find a beautiful piece of symmetry in an ugly place. That is fine. This was not the place.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

I dig the look of the van and whatever the processing technique is to make it look all 'vintage' and subdued. (Can someone please point me in a Lightroom based direction for that?) But as mentioned, why has the backside been cut off? I assume there was a post or a bin there or something, but if it was intentional it would be interesting to know why. It's quite jarring as it is.

Meanwhile, before Christmas I went on a photo day with a dude from a Studio, in an effort to develop my eye and work on thinking about my shots a bit.

Untitled by M Walts, on Flickr

Adjustment wise, some blurred leaves have been cloned out of the top, and the background has been darkened to show what it actually looked like when I was looking through the viewfinder.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

TheJeffers posted:

Why did you chop the rear end of the van off in your composition?

Thanks for a critique. Kind of stupid, but i only had my prime 55mm lens with me, and there was a car parked right across from the van. This is "the best" angle I could find, in retrospect prob should have not taken shot at all, but tried anyway, to see if it works. More practice needed!

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

Dalax posted:

Interesting shots. I take it you are going for the minimal style. I think the first one is your strongest and the third being weakest. Good color, but I think the building should be vertical instead of the leaning that it is doing now. The other 2 do not do much for me. In the third one, I only see a black background. Is that what you saw in the viewfinder?

IMG_7179 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

IMG_7177 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Awkward Davies posted:

Sometimes I want to give critique like "You took a picture of something boring. Why did you do that?".

This is one of those times.

For me, there is nothing compelling about this picture. The subject is boring.

I think I get that you were trying to go for the reflection in the water, a mirror image divided in the middle (I think). That's a fine concept, but I don't think it works for this picture.

Edit: to elaborate, I think there's not enough symmetry to make this interesting. I think the tree branches are too noisy and ruin the image. I think the curve of the bridge is problematic. It looks like you were attempting to find a beautiful piece of symmetry in an ugly place. That is fine. This was not the place.

Thanks - even just the first line (bolded) would have been enough to be very helpful but the rest is good advice too. It wasn't so much the symmetry I was looking for, but the different grades of grey that combine to form lines going from the left and expanding across and down through the frame. I think you are right and there just ended up being too much going on with the branches to make the lines I wanted to try to exploit really come out.

fake edit: I always appreciate a simple "it's boring" critique. My eyes and head pay attention and dwell on to many little things to really see the big picture (hahaha) sometimes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey all you critique people!

Having trouble expressing what you like or dislike about a photo? Can't find the words? Luckily, a dude made an awesome thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529766

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

phootnote posted:

Interesting shots. I take it you are going for the minimal style. I think the first one is your strongest and the third being weakest. Good color, but I think the building should be vertical instead of the leaning that it is doing now. The other 2 do not do much for me. In the third one, I only see a black background. Is that what you saw in the viewfinder?

Regarding the building, the windows aren't at all 90 degrees to the vertical of the edge of the building. When I straightened the edge, the windows leaned into the shot which looked wrong, and when I levelled the windows, the edge cut lazily across the middle. I went for a compromise and sort of hoped for the best. Regarding the leaves, yeah it should be all black. When I saw the leaves, the sunlight was so strong through them that the shadow of the wall behind was completely dark. The camera wasn't fooled, in the original you can make out a very dark blue wall and post. I wanted to show it how I saw it before my eyes adjusted.

phootnote posted:

IMG_7179 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

IMG_7177 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

I like the second of your shots. It looks like there is a story there and I'm curious to know what the man in the cap is looking at. I do think a tighter crop to get rid of the chair would work though.

Meanwhile, a wild reflection appears:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

I really appreciate what I think is the state of mind that sees something like this instead of simply ignoring it. I usually see things like this when I'm not particularly (mentally) focused on anything. I hope that counts as feedback.

Last night (it was loving cold):

krooj fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 25, 2013

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Dalax posted:

Meanwhile, a wild reflection appears:

I actually like these textural photos. I always feel like they can work to show that a photo isn't "just" a picture of a thing, but it can show a texture, or interesting color. I feel like it could be rotated a few degrees counter-clockwise, but I think that's purely subjective. I like how the teal in the orange looks almost like tile.

In my playing with Lightroom, I decided to bite the bullet and import most of my old photos and see if I could re-process them into something nicer.

DSC_0091 by jpitha, on Flickr
I'm trying for an old-timey postcard here.

flagpole focus by jpitha, on Flickr
I like the colors, but I think the vignette is too strong. Maybe?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

Hey all you critique people!

Having trouble expressing what you like or dislike about a photo? Can't find the words? Luckily, a dude made an awesome thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529766

Awesome, I hadn't seen this before. Thanks for linking.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

krooj posted:

I'm really not sure what you were going for with this shot, what made you want to take this photo? I'd like to see some detail in the top right of the shot, maybe showing where that path is going. You could possibly expose the shot for longer so you get all the detail you need, then pull down the shadows to get the balance you want.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I LOVE this one. Really like the composition a lot, it really sets the scene and gives a good sense of spacing. Having it a tighter crop on the bottom wouldn't hurt, I think.

Almost turned this one B/W, but I liked the blue in the etching pad too much.

Here is an elderly man doing an etching by App134, on Flickr

Untitled by App134, on Flickr

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Spedman posted:

I'm really not sure what you were going for with this shot, what made you want to take this photo? I'd like to see some detail in the top right of the shot, maybe showing where that path is going. You could possibly expose the shot for longer so you get all the detail you need, then pull down the shadows to get the balance you want.

I definitely will explore the area more on the next night with a clear sky. The intention behind the shot was to capture the horizon glow of the road at the base of that path.

e: dicking around in LR, I can see that if I rip out the saturation of the orange, yellow, and red channels it gets rid of the different lighting temp being reflected off the snow in the foreground, while leaving the green/blue lighting temperature of the lower road.

krooj fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 26, 2013

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

App13 posted:

Almost turned this one B/W, but I liked the blue in the etching pad too much.

Here is an elderly man doing an etching by App134, on Flickr

I like this one out of your two. I think it is a bit underexposed though. I feel that sign distracts from your subject because it is so bright, and he doesn't seem to be doing anything with it.

I like this shot I took, but I am not sure how to align it. If I line up the street the house looks off and vice versa...

IMG_7122-4 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Shampoo posted:

In my playing with Lightroom, I decided to bite the bullet and import most of my old photos and see if I could re-process them into something nicer.

DSC_0091 by jpitha, on Flickr
I'm trying for an old-timey postcard here.

While composition wise is fine here, the post processing is way too green. There is this green tint in the pavement, on the building and in the sky. The sky should not be green. I mean, it's all up to you, but try out a more neutral colour grading, see if you like it. If you want it to have an old timey feel, go for more yellowish tones.

krooj posted:

This doesn't seem like a well thought out photo - way too dark and no real subject that jumps out at me. This book (from this thread)has some pretty good suggestions on composing a photo and on deciding whether or not you should take a photo (chapter 7-8-9ish).

--

I was out shooting with a friend and had some nice light show up (10mins later it was gone).

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

The colors are amazing. I would kill to find something like this while I'm out and about.

Most excellent B&W landscape.

If you are going for abstract the first one works very well. I like the color but it is a bit dark overall. Lighten it up a bit and make those colors pop. Like xTimmy said - it is difficult to shoot abstract but you did a pretty good job here.

The first is a great example of an abstract. The color, the texture, the way your mind struggles to comprehend what it is. Try rotating it 90 degrees clockwise (or counter) and see what you think. I think it works even better because it looks as tho it is flowing or dripping.

The second. Shooting straight lines is difficult. An image like this has to be 100% perfect. Every line must be perfectly straight. Every shape equal. You must have symmetry. As it is it does not work.

Three from me.

boys & bones by natebol, on Flickr

bones 2 by natebol, on Flickr

bones by natebol, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Santa is strapped posted:

I was out shooting with a friend and had some nice light show up (10mins later it was gone).

I really like the colors on this. The sky is awesome and I love how the mast looks sticking up against it. The (almost) square crop works really well imo - I like to try and find square crops that looks good with my own pictures but I can never come up with anything I like.

Some content from me - went for a drive to a very sad looking lake today. I still don't really have a clue what I'm doing in lightroom.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 28, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I think all three would benefit from stepping back and focusing more on the foreground. It looks like an interesting and rough area, and the photograph would benefit showing more of that off than the blank grey sky. I'm not able to pull any exif off, but were you shooting with a somewhat long lens? I think something a lot wider would be nice too.

Also, your horizons are crooked.

----------------------------

Went for a drive in a snowstorm. Feel kinda dumb after realizing how bad the conditions were. Not sure if I pushed these too far in post.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

^ they were all shot with a 50mm, the shortest lens I own

re: straight horizons, that's another thing I'm still a poor judge of. I just did my best to straighten them, but the more I stare at them the more I'm unsure :confused:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, looking back on them, they're not too crooked. I might have been sitting at an odd angle at my desk earlier.

50mm is a bit too long for those shots I think. Something in the 20mm range would be much nicer.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
He could step further back depending on how much room he has to work with. If you are rotating in lightroom, you can try to line the horizon up with the grid, which usually helps me. If you can't judge it, sometimes saving it and go do something else, and then come back to look at it with fresh eyes helps.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LR3 and LR4 have the select tool as well. It's the ruler looking button in the crop/straighten module. Click and drag across the horizon and it will straighen much better than eyeballing it.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

LR3 and LR4 have the select tool as well. It's the ruler looking button in the crop/straighten module. Click and drag across the horizon and it will straighen much better than eyeballing it.

Oh nice, I didn't know about that. I'll give that a shot next time I'm doing post work.

Also, by "just did my best to straighten them" I meant I went back and actually edited the images and edited my post after you pointed my crooked horizons out, so they probably are straighter now.

A shorter lens is for sure the next thing on my camera gear wishlist.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Whitezombi posted:

The colors are amazing. I would kill to find something like this while I'm out and about.

Most excellent B&W landscape.

If you are going for abstract the first one works very well. I like the color but it is a bit dark overall. Lighten it up a bit and make those colors pop. Like xTimmy said - it is difficult to shoot abstract but you did a pretty good job here.

The first is a great example of an abstract. The color, the texture, the way your mind struggles to comprehend what it is. Try rotating it 90 degrees clockwise (or counter) and see what you think. I think it works even better because it looks as tho it is flowing or dripping.

The second. Shooting straight lines is difficult. An image like this has to be 100% perfect. Every line must be perfectly straight. Every shape equal. You must have symmetry. As it is it does not work.

Three from me.

boys & bones by natebol, on Flickr

I like idea behind the picture, but I feel like there is way too much detail in it, I can't focus my eye on anything it seems and I feel like two boys get lost in all that noise. I don't know if that photo works in black and white?

Here is one for me

1658 by deadreak, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druckman
Apr 9, 2007

Prince Behind Glass

phootnote posted:

I like this shot I took, but I am not sure how to align it. If I line up the street the house looks off and vice versa...

I see what you mean. I can't make up my mind about what I think I looked like in real life. I'm assuming that the house is not so worn down that it is out of level, but maybe it is. Certainly if the street it not level the you should shoot the house level.
I certainly like the feel of this shot. I think it's the fact that the colors are mainly light blues and green throughout.
While I'm guessing you consider the tree to be the subject, I feel that the car also attracts my eye. Two ideas occurred to me.
1. Step back more and give the car some more ground around it.
2. Center the image on the tree and crop off the car (nearly a square crop). I played with this in photoshop and have to say I really think this has potential if you can resolve the crooked house issue.

Also maybe do a selective desaturate (not all the way to grey) of the red elements to keep the light-green/blue feel more uniform.

My post:

Into the Sun by AllLightIsGood, on Flickr
I was trying to get the sun and the trees to form a balanced triangle that plays off the curved line of the hill. I'm not sure I fully pull it off since the sun is such a strong pull to the eye.