Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ruffz posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but to me the graphics look a lot better than at launch. They added a DX11 option a while back which made several things look a lot better. The game engine is old, but I still think the game is pretty.

I didn't play before, but I played with the DX11 settings a bit... makes a huge difference when it comes to the lighting effects, shadows, and texture filtering, for sure. Could be that's the only thing they really changed, the texture quality itself doesn't change, but I have no idea if these current textures are way higher res than what was there at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd forgotten how annoying it could be to level professions at higher tiers. Needing 1040xp to master tailoring means another (roughly) 432 pristine hides needed. Fun times. :shepface:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten how annoying it could be to level professions at higher tiers. Needing 1040xp to master tailoring means another (roughly) 432 pristine hides needed. Fun times. :shepface:

Yeah, these professions are just ridiculous. I'm a tailor too, but I assume everyone is screwed like this.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So what do you guys spend your turbine points on? I'm on a 3 month sub so I can expect those monthly points plus all the ones from deeds. I bought the universal toolkit but besides that are there any must have things or should I just save my points until I can afford one of the expacs that I don't have?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

So what do you guys spend your turbine points on? I'm on a 3 month sub so I can expect those monthly points plus all the ones from deeds. I bought the universal toolkit but besides that are there any must have things or should I just save my points until I can afford one of the expacs that I don't have?

Premium Wallet. No question.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

This was the only reason I could justify spending a couple thousand TP to buy the Westfold tier of a couple crafting vocations when they were on a 30% off sale recently. It gives you mastery for Westfold and all previous tiers. At regular price buying tiers is stupid expensive though (like 4100 TP).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, there are way too many fellowship quests in North Downs. My noble attempt to solo Nan Wathren with my lvl 32 hunter ended halfway through :(

Evil Fluffy posted:

Any profression you can't farm mats for yourself feels like it would be an absolute bitch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

loquacius posted:

Universal Toolkit, Premium Wallet, Shared Storage are the three main things to get with the 6th bag being nice for your characters but expensive. Since the toolkit is only 150TP and account bound it means you have a very cheap item you can pass around your characters. Made a new alt to do farming and cooking? Transfer the toolkit to them and reap the benefits of not using something minor like bronze/iron tools, plus it saves you a space or two in your bags.

Rarity posted:

Yeah, there are way too many fellowship quests in North Downs. My noble attempt to solo Nan Wathren with my lvl 32 hunter ended halfway through :(

Any profression you can't farm mats for yourself feels like it would be an absolute bitch.

Like being an armsman that has woodworker but no forester. I basically gave up on that profession on my champ when I played them because I'd have had to buy the wood and it's one of those things where if you're playing with others there's pretty much no reason to do that to yourself unless someone's supplying you with the mats so that you can supply gear to the group. Kind of like how I give out wood and ore while asking/begging for hides.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

loquacius posted:

He's on VIP, so he's already got a permanently infinite wallet.

I'd think Shared Storage would be the top priority, so you can pass that Universal Toolkit around between characters.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Fuzz posted:

He's on VIP, so he's already got a permanently infinite wallet.

I'd think Shared Storage would be the top priority, so you can pass that Universal Toolkit around between characters.

The premium wallet isn't included with VIP, it's a separate purchase for 995 TP that puts all of your barter items into a common wallet and gets them out of your bags/vault. Very worth it once you get up to Moria-level and beyond where barter tokens are all over the place.

edit: For anyone that's interested in Turbine's long-term plans for LOTRO like I am, this thread was a pretty interesting read. It includes a post from a dev stating that they have lots of plans for the game after the demise of the ring. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?498614-Future-of-LOTRO

ruffz fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 28, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Decided to take a break from Kaelsen the minstrel to try out evil - ran around as a warg (Torburz) and stumbled upon creeps raiding (and eventually taking) TR. Do we have a creep kin?

Gotta say, running around as evil is fun... though when I'm going up against someone that has literally spent weeks if not months on their character and refining their playstyle and pitting them up against my "I rolled this character about an hour ago and I'm still not entirely sure what these buttons (all 5 of them) mean in relation to each other" it's a bit one sided. When possible, fight dirty!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It's always going to be one sided unless you're, I think, a reaver or warg. There's no "honorable duel" in MPvP!

I am in an evil kin called Sauron's Monocle but I am also the only one who has logged in in the past 1-2 years, and run around as Krudash a warmaster. Give a yell in kin when you're about to hop over, or stop in on kinchat briefly if you're planning on going right to creepside.

When it's good, creepside is definitely good... but sometimes you're stuck slowly whittling away at PvE things grinding quests very slowly for minimal rewards. The past few nights have actually been pretty enjoyable, and the creeps are more organized of late than they have been in a while.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Like being an armsman that has woodworker but no forester. I basically gave up on that profession on my champ when I played them because I'd have had to buy the wood and it's one of those things where if you're playing with others there's pretty much no reason to do that to yourself unless someone's supplying you with the mats so that you can supply gear to the group. Kind of like how I give out wood and ore while asking/begging for hides.

As a non-vip player I haven't got anything else to spend my money on with that 5g cap always looming.

It builds up fast even when I'm hoarding task items (in my 3 bags) and ferrying hides off to kin.

OUTLAWDAN
Jan 20, 2013

and a SCHOLAR
I played this game for about two months before it hit F2P. The coolest thing was being able to buy and customize your own house, everything else wasn't all that great in my opinion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OUTLAWDAN posted:

I played this game for about two months before it hit F2P. The coolest thing was being able to buy and customize your own house, everything else wasn't all that great in my opinion.

Really? The housing system is limited as gently caress and in need of a major overhaul.

Apart from the kegs there's nothing in the kin house worth seeing.

edit: So these swords are just not in the game as actual equipment?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 28, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It took me 40+ levels, but I FINALLY figured out why the loot window when gathering resources is all over the place! In case anyone else is a nubtacular as me - the loot window shows up OVER the actual resource node. What a weird choice. So if you're mining ore, make it so the ore node is at the bottom left of your screen, and that's where the window pops up, for example. Maybe there's a UI option to change it - I'd like my loot window to always be in the same spot, but at least now I can control it from popping up over my hotbars.

Also, I think the game has finally broke me. My endeavor to do every quest ever is going to be impossible. It's all the drat fellowship quests. I have to gray them out so much, and there's so many of them, that I don't have the room. However, I am going to stay with doing all the solo-able quests (and some small fellowship quests are easily solo-able) in the order I get them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sassassin posted:

Really? The housing system is limited as gently caress and in need of a major overhaul.

Since I recently received a survey from Turbine thing where a good portion was questions regarding housing, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes happen in some upcoming patch or update.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since I recently received a survey from Turbine thing where a good portion was questions regarding housing, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes happen in some upcoming patch or update.

I thought they already said a housing revamp was in the works in the dev twitter chat.

OUTLAWDAN
Jan 20, 2013

and a SCHOLAR

sassassin posted:

edit: So these swords are just not in the game as actual equipment?

Hm, back when i played my house was LOADED with all sorts of things. Maybe they changed it?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

xZAOx posted:

I thought they already said a housing revamp was in the works in the dev twitter chat.

And I just bought my deluxe house (one of only two available ones left all neighborhoods combined) in Thorin's Gate :sigh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

xZAOx posted:

Not sure what was said with that chat, but the survey was asking if I was interested in certain features like crafting from house and revised decorating options.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

M_Sinistrari posted:

Not sure what was said with that chat, but the survey was asking if I was interested in certain features like crafting from house and revised decorating options.

More neighborhoods in different places, more diverse neighborhood layouts, different housing styles, seasonal weather effects would all be welcome.

As I was typing this post I suddenly remembered (looking back through rose-tinted glasses) how cool the housing system in Star Wars Galaxies was and how immersive the entire thing was. Player-created cities, a larger amount of housing styles and choices, a huuuge amount of decoration possibilities. Housing hasn't really been a big deal for me in any MMO since SWG and I could honestly do without it were it not for the shared storage chests, but it is kinda fun to have, especially when it's done well.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

xZAOx posted:

It took me 40+ levels, but I FINALLY figured out why the loot window when gathering resources is all over the place! In case anyone else is a nubtacular as me - the loot window shows up OVER the actual resource node. What a weird choice. So if you're mining ore, make it so the ore node is at the bottom left of your screen, and that's where the window pops up, for example. Maybe there's a UI option to change it - I'd like my loot window to always be in the same spot, but at least now I can control it from popping up over my hotbars.

Also, I think the game has finally broke me. My endeavor to do every quest ever is going to be impossible. It's all the drat fellowship quests. I have to gray them out so much, and there's so many of them, that I don't have the room. However, I am going to stay with doing all the solo-able quests (and some small fellowship quests are easily solo-able) in the order I get them.

If you hold shift while you click on the resource node it will auto-loot so you won't see any loot window. I think it is shift by default but pretty sure you can modify the key in the options.

headsupsevenup
Sep 22, 2004

Okay.

xZAOx posted:

Turn on auto-loot and never look back, it will save you from clicking loot-all every time, along with saving your sanity from having to re-position your camera every time you want to mine an ore node.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Drone posted:

More neighborhoods in different places, more diverse neighborhood layouts, different housing styles, seasonal weather effects would all be welcome.

As I was typing this post I suddenly remembered (looking back through rose-tinted glasses) how cool the housing system in Star Wars Galaxies was and how immersive the entire thing was. Player-created cities, a larger amount of housing styles and choices, a huuuge amount of decoration possibilities. Housing hasn't really been a big deal for me in any MMO since SWG and I could honestly do without it were it not for the shared storage chests, but it is kinda fun to have, especially when it's done well.

What I personally wish they'd do is have there be an option for kinship-only neighborhoods where you could have control over the decorations of the entire area. Not to mention they need several other improvements to be put in place that tackle the issue of dead neighborhoods full of players that haven't logged in for months or years. I can't imagine the current system is working as intended.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

headsupsevenup posted:

Turn on auto-loot and never look back, it will save you from clicking loot-all every time, along with saving your sanity from having to re-position your camera every time you want to mine an ore node.

Perfect! Thanks man.

Fried Sushi posted:

If you hold shift while you click on the resource node it will auto-loot so you won't see any loot window. I think it is shift by default but pretty sure you can modify the key in the options.

I just discovered that last night too - but it overwrites pending loot. I don't like monster trash going into my loot (usually because I have to get picky when adventuring, so much inventory management).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ruffz posted:

What I personally wish they'd do is have there be an option for kinship-only neighborhoods where you could have control over the decorations of the entire area. Not to mention they need several other improvements to be put in place that tackle the issue of dead neighborhoods full of players that haven't logged in for months or years.

It'd also be cool to (a) buy a simple, small house at a lower level and then be able to upgrade it with more space / amenities as you gain levels and get more money, Harvest Moon style, or (b) build a house that matches your main's race regardless of its actual location, if only so you could find a neighborhood where a bunch of elf-RPers live, take over the neighborhood with a bunch of dwarf hovels, and wait for the pseudo-racist comments to start cropping up on the LOTRO forums.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Is anyone else with 85s having issues with specific Hytbold daily instances not coming up? I'm under the impression that they cycle once a day at downtime, but I could be wrong. I've been trying to do Haycliff, Digelon, and Dwergfant for over a week and those three haven't shown up at all. This is ridiculously frustrating because completing those three instances' quests for their respective deeds is sitting between me and 100 Hytbold tokens. I'm getting ready to file a ticket and see wtf is up.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

Is anyone else with 85s having issues with specific Hytbold daily instances not coming up? I'm under the impression that they cycle once a day at downtime, but I could be wrong. I've been trying to do Haycliff, Digelon, and Dwergfant for over a week and those three haven't shown up at all. This is ridiculously frustrating because completing those three instances' quests for their respective deeds is sitting between me and 100 Hytbold tokens. I'm getting ready to file a ticket and see wtf is up.

I think they are just randomly generated, it took me a few weeks to get all of them completed. Sometimes you get the same quests 5-7 days in a row before you get a new one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ruffz posted:

kinship-only neighborhoods

A decent idea, but I really don't want my neighborhood clogged up with green-fog-vomiting giant turtle heads :bahgawd:

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Those have been up in the last week on my server. Does anyone know if the ones that were closed due to raid farming are back up? I remember going in one of them and seeing a raid farming them and thinking "this won't last" and then the next week they closed them, supposedly temporarily.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

OUTLAWDAN posted:

Hm, back when i played my house was LOADED with all sorts of things. Maybe they changed it?

Nah, opinions are just all over the place on the housing thing. Personally I found their housing system to be an awesome bonus after coming from a game with zero player "territory". I still love it, but after playing with it for a while a person does start to long for more hooks, more flexible (and dense) object placement, and more reasons to use it. As it is I love coming back to my house, but they do have a lot of undeveloped potential.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ruffz posted:

I had a problem like this all week, where my Norcrofts pair was always Ost Magol. One of them was in a "retry" state because my Aiding the Eastenment finished before I was able to complete it. As soon as I cleared that up, the next day I started to see randoms again. I always thought those randoms were the same for everyone, but maybe not.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 28, 2013

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

xZAOx posted:

Perfect! Thanks man.

I just discovered that last night too - but it overwrites pending loot. I don't like monster trash going into my loot (usually because I have to get picky when adventuring, so much inventory management).

Are you dealing with only 3 bags? As annoying as it is, it really pays off to run back to a vendor and sell everything once you fill up. Trash loot can also be used for turning in Tasks, which pay out XP and Rep with the area's faction. You're also setting yourself up for the inevitable "Why's it so hard to make money in this game!?" because you're not doing what everyone else is doing to make that money from Day One.

Now if you're dealing with the gold cap, pay to make it go away ASAP. That gold cap will keep you from buying the last few personal storage chests at the bank, and you will absolutely be needing those just like the rest of us do. :)

Of course, the best advice of all is to pay for a single month of VIP to get rid of all account restrictions(and gain two more bags!) for any character that gets logged in during that period.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Brave New World posted:

Are you dealing with only 3 bags? As annoying as it is, it really pays off to run back to a vendor and sell everything once you fill up. Trash loot can also be used for turning in Tasks, which pay out XP and Rep with the area's faction. You're also setting yourself up for the inevitable "Why's it so hard to make money in this game!?" because you're not doing what everyone else is doing to make that money from Day One.

Now if you're dealing with a gold cap, pay to make it go away ASAP. That gold cap will keep you from buying the last few personal storage chests at the bank, and you will absolutely be needing those just like the rest of us do. :)

Of course, the best advice of all is to pay for a single month of VIP to get rid of all account restrictions(and gain two more bags!) for any character that gets logged in during that period.

Nah, I'm in my VIP month, and even with 5 bags it fills up. I do empty it out as often as possible, but you still run into the quest hub with no vendors sometimes - or the quests put you killing different creatures so you get all loot from that tier at the same time hehe.

On the topic of making gold - if anyone out there is actually having money issues, the AH is your friend. Recipes, green-colored-crafting-items, and ESPECIALLY gathered materials (usually refined - ores->ingots, hides->leathers, etc) all sell on the AH and will get you rich. After you've given away what you can to kinmates, of course :). It's another point in VIP's bucket - make use of the 30 AH slots for that month, and you'll be set.

I really wish there was a kin vault like in a typical MMO (as in, right next to the regular vault guy) so we'd all have a dumping ground for our extra poo poo to share. A two-hour kin auction doesn't quite cut it, nor does "travel to the kinhaus and run around looking in chests".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have never needed bank storage. In fact, I'd forgotten it existed until just now.

The quest flow in North Downs is crazy. Arrive in Trestlebridge and immediately get a bunch of high level fellowship quests, no pull quest to your next hub and eventually if you find Amon Raith you get a whole load of low level solo quests. It's just bizarre.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I am constantly pushing my 120 slot bank storage limit and considering buying another batch. My housing storage is also almost full.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Same here. I have six bags and when I leave town only one is empty- The other 5 have potions, buffing scrolls, six stacks of the different food types, objects for annoying players, fishing pole, musical instrument, four tiers' worth of scholar raw mats, locked task items for rep I'm working on, a stack of ale and Ronald Dwale's pipe.

My bank is 120 slots near-full of items whose cosmetics I like, mats for making dyes, future gear I've run across and weaponsmithing mats. Home chests are full of tobacco, ales and furniture.

I need 2 more bags and an action bar for quick travel. And one for mounts while I'm dreaming.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 28, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rarity posted:

The quest flow in North Downs is crazy. Arrive in Trestlebridge and immediately get a bunch of high level fellowship quests, no pull quest to your next hub and eventually if you find Amon Raith you get a whole load of low level solo quests. It's just bizarre.

North Downs is the worst quest flow I've encountered. Lots of fellowship quests (not just chain endcaps), constant running back and forth all over the entire zone, just bleh. Although I did get breadcrumbs from Trestlebridge, to Amon Raith, to Estledin, to....the tall guy things. It's a shame, because there are fun quests and cool areas in there.

And that's worst quest flow considering I've done a lot in all zones (not finished with them all yet), including other ones people don't like, like Trollshaws, Angmar, and Misty Mountains (all 3 of which I've enjoyed, despite the nay-sayers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With 5 bags it should be pretty difficult to run out of space. This is my RK for instance, with what my bags look like when I leave town and start questing in Moria/Lothlorien. I have way more poo poo in there than I really need, but even still I don't run out of space. I keep everything I care about locked, so I just do a quick scan and then hit sell all when I get back to a Merchant, takes about 10 seconds to clear my bag out again.

• Locked thread