Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danquixotic
Nov 24, 2011

krut you are a faggot cunt nigger deer for leaving
Saw an Emma Lemmon on the bill for a short play I saw last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegatusP
Jan 4, 2013
I once saw the name "Robert Bob" in a phonebook. That's just cruel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LegatusP posted:

I once saw the name "Robert Bob" in a phonebook. That's just cruel.

In the same way, the previous winner of American Idol is called Phillip Phillips.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's a famous English football (soccer) player, Gary Neville, whose dad is famously named Neville. So yup, he's Neville Neville.

It lends itself well, considering the amount of chants you can fit his name into the tune of "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Knew a dude who's first name was "Pinkus". Pinkus was doomed to become a hardened man from birth.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Imperialist Dog posted:

I had no idea it could be pronounced any OTHER way than as "vagina". I'm from Ontario. When you look at a coin, we all pronounced it like that: Elizabeth II, D. G. Regina.

I lived in Toronto for five years, and I remember the name being pronounced as "Re-GEE-na" and the city as rhyming with vagina. I could be remembering it totally wrong, though. Hahaha vagina.

Saw this on Failblog:

EDIT: I love that your name is "Imperialist Dog" and you posted about the Queen.

geezus militia
Jan 26, 2006
My Bosses name at an old retail job was Rhoda Karr

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
My landlord's granddaughter is named Kyleighah.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
My supervisor has a nephew named Hezekiah. I know it's an old Biblical name, and they're hardcore Christians, but man that's a mean thing to do to a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bringmyfishback posted:

I lived in Toronto for five years, and I remember the name being pronounced as "Re-GEE-na" and the city as rhyming with vagina. I could be remembering it totally wrong, though. Hahaha vagina.

I think it's sometimes pronounced like the name "Reginald" minus the last two letters.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I have a great aunt named "Fat".

Nothing else. Just Fat.

She isn't even fat. She's quite thin. No, I don't know how this happened.

We call my uncle "Bubba" but his name is "Lawerence", so I don't know if it fits in this thread. However, I didn't actually know he had a name other than "Bubba" until my teen years, so there's that.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

I can confirm this for southern Ontario. I can't say anything about the other places in Canada though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rough Lobster posted:

Knew a dude who's first name was "Pinkus". Pinkus was doomed to become a hardened man from birth.
That's a Jewish last name; it means someone who kept the records for the community. So, "Archivist."

gamingCaffeinator posted:

My supervisor has a nephew named Hezekiah. I know it's an old Biblical name, and they're hardcore Christians, but man that's a mean thing to do to a kid.
Meh, Zeke is a nice nickname.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I just saw an article on the local news site about some toddler. The poor kid's name was Wynter

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
This dude I used to know was a pretty cool dude and then he knocked some chick up and found God in a big way and now his facebook is filled with stuff about how Obama is going to dictate that all doctors must ask you if you own a gun because Obamacare. Anyway, the daughter's named Sophie, but they named the son Nebediah. Nebediah Zedwick. Poor kid doesn't stand a chance.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Meh, Zeke is a nice nickname.

The kid's parents call him Kiah, and his aunt (my supervisor) calls him by his full name. Zeke has never occurred to them, I assure you.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

No Pun Intended posted:

I just saw an article on the local news site about some toddler. The poor kid's name was Wynter

My brother-in-law's crazy ex has a son called Winter, though I'm pretty sure it's just spelled like the season. He has a gingerfro and permanently grubby hands and is possibly the worst-behaved two-year-old I've ever encountered. :(

fe: correction

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I used to work with a black guy whose mom named him Sir Derrick. I asked him about his name and he told me that his mom named him that because she thought that was the only way white people would call her son sir. :smith:

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
Apparently if I was a boy I was going to be named Obadiah. Not the worst name, but it would have sucked to have as a kid. Glad I dodged that bullet. As a girl I have a somewhat unusual name which is still in the realm of reasonable... I just could never buy name keychains or license plates for my bike v:shobon:v

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

squeegee posted:

Apparently if I was a boy I was going to be named Obadiah. Not the worst name, but it would have sucked to have as a kid. Glad I dodged that bullet. As a girl I have a somewhat unusual name which is still in the realm of reasonable... I just could never buy name keychains or license plates for my bike v:shobon:v

That's just like my name. It's completely absurd how strange and unique my name is.

If you're going to post that you have a strange or even relatively uncommon name, just post it rather than making people ask. So I'm not a hypocrite, my name is Steve which is pretty much the example of common name.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's just like my name. It's completely absurd how strange and unique my name is.

If you're going to post that you have a strange or even relatively uncommon name, just post it rather than making people ask. So I'm not a hypocrite, my name is Steve which is pretty much the example of common name.

I'm not making people ask because I'm not going to post my real name. I was just pointing out that the name I would have had as a boy was much worse than the name I was actually given. The point of the post is that I narrowly avoided being named Obadiah.

squeegee has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Jan 22, 2013

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Nobody actually gives a poo poo what you might have been called tho

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Geez, sorry. Other people have posted about names that they or their relatives were almost saddled with, and several people were posting names ending in -iah, so I thought it would be funny. This thread is 35 pages long with a lot of more pointless posts than mine, you can just skip over it you don't like it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I care!

squeegee posted:

My dad wanted to name me Wolfgang, which I'm pretty sure would have sucked. Amadeus wouldn't have been that bad a name, though.

I like the name 'Richard' because in my head I will immediately substitute it for the name 'Dick.' Typically it results in me calling guys like Quentin Richardson, Q-Dick or Trent Richardson, T-Dick which I think is the height of comedy, but once I had a physics teacher named Richard Tung and it made going to his lovely class a million times better.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

squeegee posted:

You could have been the Obediah Wheatfish.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

sweeperbravo posted:

You could have been the Obediah Wheatfish.

GODDAMMIT I WANT TO NAME EVERYTHING THAT

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

I do! I think it's interesting.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

bringmyfishback posted:

GODDAMMIT I WANT TO NAME EVERYTHING THAT

That and Barkevious Mingo are my favorites this thread has produced.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just remembered that I briefly worked with a girl named Reality Winter. Throw a colon in there and you have a 1970's era nuclear post apocalypse novel.

e: you guys mike like this Key & Peele skit about ridiculous names in the NFL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Rough Lobster has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jan 23, 2013

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

My old optometrist was named Dr. Renis Lapienis. He's a nice guy and great at his job, but it was impossible to see that name and not snicker like an idiot.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
Today I filled out paperwork for two new staff memebers: Zoe Voltz, and Sadako Panic.

I'm pretty sure they're superheros.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I got another good one! Someone I know has named their baby boy "Kahless", as in the legendary Klingon warrior. I'm actually stunned. I mean, I googled Kahless and only the Star Trek definition came up. What the gently caress Sarah?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I was just reading an obituary in our local paper for a girl named Olive that died over the weekend. Olive is survived by brothers Elijah, Jayden, Simon, Noah and Twyzum. That one just came out of nowhere.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

My friend just had a baby boy and named him Malahkai Quynn. Yes, said as "Quinn". I'm under the impression the special snowflake spelling is from the mother and was a compromise for something far more biblical which is weird because neither of them are even slightly religious.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Quvenzhané, as in Quvenzhané Wallis the actress. I can't even with this name. Quvenzhané! She's a pretty wicked actress, though.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
A "wiccan" girl my wife went to college with named her little girl Reignbeaux.

Reign. Beaux. Rainbow.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I work in a school system. I could go on forever, but I doubt I'll ever be able to top Ta'Yestaday.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Goosed it. posted:

I also know children with the following names Finbar, Napoleon, and Hannibal.

This reminded me of two guys I knew in high school, they always hung out together, named Vlad and Attila. As in Vlad the Impaler and Attila the Hun. I never brought it up to them but always thought it was a great name coincidence. They were also both beefy and vaguely menacing guys, or as menacing as high school kids can be.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

De Nomolos posted:

A "wiccan" girl my wife went to college with named her little girl Reignbeaux.

Reign. Beaux. Rainbow.
I was like, "Rejjin boo(palatal x)?" I dunno why parents would give their kids such punchable names. It's like this huge moke Hawaiian guy I knew named Masashiro (and his brother Koji). I assume it was a boy-named-Sue kinda deal that actually worked, they were from Waianae where you get piledrived for having a name like that.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

On a Marine base I had the pleasure of meeting a rather buff young Marine with the name Dethrage. Seemed like the coolest dude to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Apparently if I were a boy my name would have been Johnallen. John-allen, all one word. Bleargh.