Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SquadronROE posted:

Okay, so I'm almost done with a Ciaphas Cain book, The Emperor's Finest. I've reread the Gaunt's Ghosts books, read Zulu War In Space (that was a lot of fun), and am looking for my next metal as gently caress book. How is Fifteen Hours?
15 hours is ok, but if you want a good guard book after Gaunt's Ghosts I'd suggest Cadian Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xander77 posted:

Since the OP rates this bunk as a 5/5 series, I feel as though I can't use it as a guide. Could you tell me which Black Library series are palatable, not as Warhammer fiction but on a general genre fiction level?
If you have trouble reading the whole blurb for the series then I dunno what to say man.

SquadronROE posted:

How is Fifteen Hours?
You know how Gaunt's Ghosts skews the whole "the IG is a meatgrinder" angle? Fifteen Hours is the other side of the pendulum.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Execution Hour & Shadow Point are 2 really good books, though they may be out of print. They focus on the Imperial Navy. I liked them a lot.

To join battle of the abyss in the dumpster pile I nominate Rogue Star. Its the only book I put down after only the first chapter. To put that in perspective I finished Battle of the Abyss. Something about the writing & names of the cast introduced in the first chapter of rogue star made me go blind with rage.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 28, 2013

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I really liked Path of the Renegade. It's certainly a lot better than Gav Thorpe's Eldar books. But then, so is testicular torsion.

Yeah I just finished this up, I'll be picking up the sequel for sure. Really good book. Wasn't expecting to see the Harlequin show up but thought it was awesome when he did. Good stuff.

Scoobi posted:

Execution Hour & Shadow Point are 2 really good books, though they may be out of print. They focus on the Imperial Navy. I liked them a lot.

I'd kill for more of these. Now that Battlefleet Gothic isn't really a 'thing' anymore probably unlikely. But drat, I love these books.

Scoobi posted:

To join battle of the abyss in the dumpster pile I nominate Rogue Star. Its the only book I put down after only the first chapter.

Haha, I didn't mind Rogue Star or Star of Damocles that much. It was interesting I guess to see the perspective of a Rogue Trader but I can see why you would hate them. They definitely have problems.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Scoobi posted:

Anyone interested should check BL's print on demand service. I'm sure they're on there as an omnibus under the title Gothic War

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Brothers of the Snake is a good Space Marine book that has, gasp, character development! And a Librarian who isn't an annoying rear end in a top hat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He is however completely poo poo at his job.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Having just finished Execution Hour and Shadow Point I'll agree that they're good. But Shadow Point has a glaring flaw that works hard to completely ignore a staple of the Imperial Navy just to make the plot work. Once you realize it, it niggles at the back of your mind for the rest of the read.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Having just finished Execution Hour and Shadow Point I'll agree that they're good. But Shadow Point has a glaring flaw that works hard to completely ignore a staple of the Imperial Navy just to make the plot work. Once you realize it, it niggles at the back of your mind for the rest of the read.

Execution Hour is definitely the better of the two.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Must have missed that. What is it?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Must have missed that. What is it?

Even though they are in the book and the minor character responsible for the position aboard the Lord Solar Macharius is present once or twice, Astropaths are never mentioned again after the first 115 or so pages. They would've been mighty handy when the events of Shadow Point picked up at the rendezvous. But don't even get acknowledged.

I know the warp plays some funny poo poo but that struck me as the worst thing with the book. Still, an overall fun read that had a good variety of combat. But I agree with Scoobi that Execution Hour was the better of the two in the series. Gave a more thorough idea on the operations of a naval ship (And set during a Black Crusade. Awesome!) , which is what I wanted when I asked for a recommendation a while back.

Think I'm going to try out the Shira Calpurnia books next. Marshal Byzantane got me interested in Arbites action.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
On Chapter 15 of Pariah so far, it's so good. I'm loving the concept of the Warblind too. The Imperial Guard is so different in different parts of the Imperium, it's awesome.

I do wish there were more authors that were tackling different time periods, though. I'd love to read about the Macharius Heresy or some of the more incredible things like the Lost Crusade and whatnot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SquadronROE posted:

On Chapter 15 of Pariah so far, it's so good. I'm loving the concept of the Warblind too. The Imperial Guard is so different in different parts of the Imperium, it's awesome.

I do wish there were more authors that were tackling different time periods, though. I'd love to read about the Macharius Heresy or some of the more incredible things like the Lost Crusade and whatnot.

Well, William King just started a series on the Macharian Crusade so it isn't inconceivable that they will tackle the Macharian Heresy once that's completed.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Finished Yarrick: Chains of Golgotha last night. I liked it quite a bit, nice palate cleanser after reading Commissar. The pace is pretty breathless. After the very start it's just non-stop action. I wish some of the supporting characters were a little less one-dimensional and prop-like but with a title like 'Yarrick: etc etc' I can forgive it.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

15 hours is ok, but if you want a good guard book after Gaunt's Ghosts I'd suggest Cadian Blood.

I've always loved the "Oops. What happened to the commissar? Guess he didn't make it. *cough*".

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Kinetica posted:

I've always loved the "Oops. What happened to the commissar? Guess he didn't make it. *cough*".

Cadian Blood was really quite good. Not just for that reason, but for just how badass the Cadians are.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Kinetica posted:

All power to the nova cannon:black101:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I wonder what Cadian Commissars do. That must be a relatively cushy billet. Sort of like being the Commissar of the Death Korps where your primary job is to keep the troops from being TOO eager to die for the Emperor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Deliverance Lost is classic Gav Thorpe. A tour de force of Thorpiness.

And by that I mean it is absolute shite. There's no internal logic or consistency. Things happen because Thorpe thinks they sound cool, regardless of the wider established fluff or what happened a page ago. He tells us that the marines are incredibly disciplined super soldiers and their primarchs are demi gods, but he shows us indiscipline and outright stupidity.

My favourite part, surpoassing even taking the most powerful technology known to man and removing it from terra to some backwater shithole with hilariously inadequate security, is probably that if this book is canon, Rhino APCs use explosive "drop-bolts" to open their rear hatch. As opposed to, you know, hydraulics. So presumably, in the grim dark future of the 41st millennium there is only armoured vehicles driving around dragging open ramps behind them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

And by that I mean it is absolute shite. There's no internal logic or consistency. Things happen because Thorpe thinks they sound cool, regardless of the wider established fluff or what happened a page ago. He tells us that the marines are incredibly disciplined super soldiers and their primarchs are demi gods, but he shows us indiscipline and outright stupidity.

My favourite part, surpoassing even taking the most powerful technology known to man and removing it from terra to some backwater shithole with hilariously inadequate security, is probably that if this book is canon, Rhino APCs use explosive "drop-bolts" to open their rear hatch. As opposed to, you know, hydraulics. So presumably, in the grim dark future of the 41st millennium there is only armoured vehicles driving around dragging open ramps behind them.

Out of all the books I've read, I think that how the Space Marines were presented in Gaunt's Ghosts is pretty much the best. It gives them the proper weight, knowledge, and awe factor. Granted, I've never read Space Marine. Just a bunch of the Horus Heresy stuff, which doesn't really make them seem very awe inspiring.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

SquadronROE posted:

Out of all the books I've read, I think that how the Space Marines were presented in Gaunt's Ghosts is pretty much the best. It gives them the proper weight, knowledge, and awe factor. Granted, I've never read Space Marine. Just a bunch of the Horus Heresy stuff, which doesn't really make them seem very awe inspiring.

I agree, I think Space Marines are the coolest when you're looking at them from the perspective of the Imperial Guard and they are just these incredibly lethal, alien death machines. I think their luster suffers when they are normal characters in the books because the authors have to try to make them relatable and give them normal motivations and failings.

It's understandable, it would be hard to read a 'realistic' account of the average battle brother's day for most chapters.

quote:

Brother Zacharius enters his austere berth on the battle barge His Righteous Hand. He meditates on his twenty-two hours of training and ritual cleansing of his holy power armor.

The clang of boots rings outside his door. "TIME TO HONE OUR SKILLS ONCE AGAIN, BROTHER" the voice of Sergeant Caius booms.

"FOR THE EMPEROR SERGEANT"

Repeat for the next 6 chapters until a battle happens in which case replace 'hone our skills' with 'take out that ork stompa brother'.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

orphean posted:

I agree, I think Space Marines are the coolest when you're looking at them from the perspective of the Imperial Guard and they are just these incredibly lethal, alien death machines. I think their luster suffers when they are normal characters in the books because the authors have to try to make them relatable and give them normal motivations and failings.

It's understandable, it would be hard to read a 'realistic' account of the average battle brother's day for most chapters.

Repeat for the next 6 chapters until a battle happens in which case replace 'hone our skills' with 'take out that ork stompa brother'.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I tend to not like to read stories focused on Space Marines. It makes them feel less alien, and just not quite wrong.

Although to be honest I never really connect with any of the characters living in a grimdark universe 38,000 years from now with flying skulls and laser guns and space ships the size of skyscrapers.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Wrath of Iron, Helsreach and the Night Lords trilogy do a good work with Astartes vs human characterization, I think, despite them being main characters in those.

I think it has more to do with the bulk of BL authors simply being bad. Even Abnett is spotty: on this particular subject, he nails it masterfully when marines are secondary characters, but when they're his main he tends to miss.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nephilm posted:

Wrath of Iron, Helsreach and the Night Lords trilogy do a good work with Astartes vs human characterization, I think, despite them being main characters in those.

I think it has more to do with the bulk of BL authors simply being bad. Even Abnett is spotty: on this particular subject, he nails it masterfully when marines are secondary characters, but when they're his main he tends to miss.
I don't think that Abnett is "missing" anything when he writes about Marines as the main characters - as a reader, you're part of the "inner-circle" at that point, and the Marines are not alien to you. When he writes them as secondary characters, you're seeing them from the human viewpoint, outside that original "inner-circle," so now they're weird, uber-human creatures.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Disagree: he doesn't properly convey their mindset in relation to humans. Again, compare with the books I mention where the disconnect is evident. In Abnett's it just isn't present. He's gotten better about it over time (ref. Brothers of the Snake), but as much as I enjoyed Know No Fear, it just didn't do it for me in that respect.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Theoretical/Practical/Theoretical/Practical.

That did it for me.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Most of the Legions have some pretty cool features and themes about them. Only a few chapters into Angel Exterminatus, and I'm actually enjoying it, and the Iron Warriors have quite a bit of character so far. However, whenever Raven Guard are written about, they just turn into awful gravel voiced grim Solid Snake ripoffs who are so super awesome at sneaking and incredibly sardonic and cool and ugh.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Most of the Legions have some pretty cool features and themes about them. Only a few chapters into Angel Exterminatus, and I'm actually enjoying it, and the Iron Warriors have quite a bit of character so far. However, whenever Raven Guard are written about, they just turn into awful gravel voiced grim Solid Snake ripoffs who are so super awesome at sneaking and incredibly sardonic and cool and ugh.

Dark Angels too.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Raven Guard can invert their shields to make their ships invisible. But to do this they have to turn the internal lights out and all be quiet because SHHHHHHHHHHH. If you use that intercom the enemy will be able to detect the energy use, or hear it, or something. No, ignore that the power core and the engines are still running, just shut up and implement Darklight Protocols

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Well, gotta remember that space is basically like the ocean and spaceships are submarines.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
An arguement could be made for turning out the lights to minimise heat signature.

Wait, engine, NM.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cold fusion engines :v:

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Schneider Heim posted:

Brothers of the Snake is a good Space Marine book that has, gasp, character development! And a Librarian who isn't an annoying rear end in a top hat.

I just finished that today, and I loved every second of it. It's rare for me to find a book I cannot put down, but this one is one of them. It was a long time since I read any Abnett books, and it was nice to see why he remains my favorite author.

Just started Necropolis, not having read any of the Gaunt books before. I'm barely a chapter in, but really like the set up thus far.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Nephilm posted:

Well, gotta remember that space is basically like the ocean and spaceships are submarines.

To be fair, in 40k this isn't entirely untrue, as the setting borrows heavily from the Age of Sail. Especially so when it comes to ship-to-ship combat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Impaired Casing posted:

I just finished that today, and I loved every second of it. It's rare for me to find a book I cannot put down, but this one is one of them. It was a long time since I read any Abnett books, and it was nice to see why he remains my favorite author.

Just started Necropolis, not having read any of the Gaunt books before. I'm barely a chapter in, but really like the set up thus far.

I feel bad for you, it's one thing not being able to put down a book. But being hooked on a 10 book series is something else and will ruin your social life for weeks.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Impaired Casing posted:

Necropolis is absolutely amazing. I almost feel jealous for you having not read them all. Please do post whenever Abnett does something that makes you cry "NOOOOOOO" to an uncaring sky.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lenoon posted:

Necropolis is absolutely amazing. I almost feel jealous for you having not read them all. Please do post whenever Abnett does something that makes you cry "NOOOOOOO" to an uncaring sky.
This is mandatory. We need to feel your pain.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lenoon posted:

Cuu is such an amazing character. I think in the Guns of Tanith forewords Abnett talks about how he actually lost the whole book in a computer crash and had to write it again from scratch. Cuu wasn't in the first one and would never have become a character if not for that crash.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Sounds like the handiwork of Tzeentch to me. Wheels within wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

joneswt posted:

Sounds like the handiwork of Tzeentch to me. Wheels within wheels.

How do you pronounce Tzeentch anyway?