Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Mickolution posted:

No chat about Wonders of Life? Watched the first one last night while really tired. Not all of it went in, but really enjoyed it. Looked amazing too and the bits where he was talking while diving into that lake were hilarious. Next week is about the evolution of the eye, which should be amazing.
It sounds like the kind of thing I might enjoy, if it wasn't presented by bloody Brian Cox! He's just too irritating for me to get passed.
Ohh and why the hell does the BBC hire a particle physicist to talk about biology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrHat posted:

It sounds like the kind of thing I might enjoy, if it wasn't presented by bloody Brian Cox! He's just too irritating for me to get passed.
Ohh and why the hell does the BBC hire a particle physicist to talk about biology?

Shockingly he's actually reading from a script in all of his programs, so his area of expertise isn't all that important.

What is important is that his career as a presenter has actually been very successful, given that most people like him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MrHat posted:

What's irritating about Brian Cox? Also he talks more about physics and energy than actual biology. Dude's a scientist in either case.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I don't care what anyone says about Brian Cox, I love him. I can even forgive his previous career. He can do no wrong.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was very smug when the first thing that came on the screen was a Dragonfly Nymph and I was able to call it out. That taxonomy module in my degree wasn't a waste after all!

(Actually it's pretty useful).

Yeah the evolution of the eye is loving amazing and one of the main ways people are taught how evolution can work. It's funny because creationists use it as an example of something that's 'too complex' so must have been created, yet when you're shown the intermediate stages and development from the first cells that were able to detect light, it's pretty straight forward, yet absolutely beautiful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I really dislike Brian Cox, he just comes off as really smug and self-satisfied.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

PriorMarcus posted:

Shockingly he's actually reading from a script in all of his programs, so his area of expertise isn't all that important.

What is important is that his career as a presenter has actually been very successful, given that most people like him.
I'm sure he's a perfectly pleasant guy and he does seem enthusiastic about what he talks about.
But VogeGandire captures my thoughts perfectly - there is just something about the tone of the mans voice that irritates me, to the extent I couldn't spend a whole hour listening to him. When Attenborough talks about something you can feel the awe in his voice, whereas I find Cox to be like the Jamie Oliver of science.

Edit: Maybe it's just that the UK doesn't seem to have the range of 'science figures' the US has. You guys got Sagan, Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson. The UK got Johnny Ball & Terry Nutkins.

MrHat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 28, 2013

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

VogeGandire posted:

I really dislike Brian Cox, he just comes off as really smug and self-satisfied.

I can see why he might, but he come across more like a little kid who's really enthusiastic to me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

I can see why he might, but he come across more like a little kid who's really enthusiastic to me.
Yeah, if you look at any of his TED talks (which you should) it's pretty apparent that he's passionate and enthusiastic about what he does and science in general. After listening to hours and hours of Karl Pilkington's drivel, it's kind of strange to hear a Mancunian say such intelligent things in that accent but I don't find him to be smug at all.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, I'll check those talks out. I assume they're on Youtube?

I listened to the first couple of series of the Infinite Monkey Cage radio show he did and they were ok, but I can't stand Robin Ince. Now there's an insufferable smug oval office.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Nice one, I'll check those talks out. I assume they're on Youtube?

I listened to the first couple of series of the Infinite Monkey Cage radio show he did and they were ok, but I can't stand Robin Ince. Now there's an insufferable smug oval office.
Enjoy.

I'm not too fond of Ince either, though I have a tiny bit of sympathy for him considering Ricky Gervais effectively tortured him both mentally and physically for a very long time.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

He was great on the panel shows he has been on where he is just being himself but in the docs he grates on me, too much over delivery. But you know he isnt a loving pro presenter after all he is a real life scientist. Maybe his lecturing style just doesnt translate to tv well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brian Cox just strikes me as a poor mans Carl Sagan. He has all of the wonder but none of the charisma or rhetoric. Every time I see him on a documentary grinning at the camera and talking about how the scenery surrounding him is so beautiful and wonder all I can think of is "Carl would have done that bit better :colbert:".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Unfortunately Mr Sagan has been dead for some time, so we'll all have to make do.
I don't like his shows because it takes too long to tell you some pretty simple poo poo, but I'm glad he's popular.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Enjoy.

I'm not too fond of Ince either, though I have a tiny bit of sympathy for him considering Ricky Gervais effectively tortured him both mentally and physically for a very long time.

Nice one, thanks. I'm in work at the moment, but I'll give them a look when I get a chance.

As for Ince. I listened to that Radio show and some of his own podcasts and he's just so smug. On the podcast he'd be interviewing people and wouldn't even say who they were. It was like he just expected people to know who it was because he did.

What pisses me off most about him though is the whole creationism/evolution thing. Now, I'm no creationist, nor am I religious in any way whatsoever, but I hate the way he or Gervais treats anyone who doesn't agree with them as idiots. It's such an easy target for comedians who are usually (when performing live, anyway) talking to people who share the same views as them and talking about the subject just gives both audience/performer a sense of superiority. It's popped up a lot in comedy in the last 10 years and it's just really lazy and nowhere near as subversive as some people seem to think.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Mickolution posted:

What pisses me off most about him though is the whole creationism/evolution thing. Now, I'm no creationist, nor am I religious in any way whatsoever, but I hate the way he or Gervais treats anyone who doesn't agree with them as idiots.

That's not the best example in the world though is it, because if you don't believe in evolution and do believe in creationism you are actually an idiot.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Loonytoad Quack posted:

That's not the best example in the world though is it, because if you don't believe in evolution and do believe in creationism you are actually an idiot.

Maybe a little closed minded, but I wouldn't say an idiot necessarily.

What I mean more the idea that anyone who has faith is automatically stupid when it's a much wider issue than that. As I said, I'm not religious, but it just annoys me when comics talk on the subject, as they're preaching to the choir for the most part. Christians are a very easy target and I wish comedians wouldn't keep recycling the same jokes on the subject as it's a lazy attempt to be subversive.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I could maybe stand Brian Cox if he didn't speak like he was grooming a young child all the time.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I assume a few people on here have read Stewart Lee's latest book, yeah? I'm considering giving giving it a read, but using the "look inside" on Amazon, it seems that quite a bit of it is just transcripts of live shows, is that the case?

Not sure I'd be bothered with it if that were the case as I know those shows inside out at this stage, I've seen them so many times.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Assuming its the same format as his last book, the transcripts will have an introduction written by him followed by extensive annotations. Those bits are so good that they're absolutely worth it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cool. I'll be getting it on Kindle, so I'll check out the sample or try and get to a bookshop to have a look at it first.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mickolution posted:

Maybe a little closed minded, but I wouldn't say an idiot necessarily.

What I mean more the idea that anyone who has faith is automatically stupid when it's a much wider issue than that. As I said, I'm not religious, but it just annoys me when comics talk on the subject, as they're preaching to the choir for the most part. Christians are a very easy target and I wish comedians wouldn't keep recycling the same jokes on the subject as it's a lazy attempt to be subversive.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I'm entirely atheist, but constantly mocking religious people just for being religious is just low-hanging fruit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrHat posted:

I'm sure he's a perfectly pleasant guy and he does seem enthusiastic about what he talks about.
But VogeGandire captures my thoughts perfectly - there is just something about the tone of the mans voice that irritates me, to the extent I couldn't spend a whole hour listening to him. When Attenborough talks about something you can feel the awe in his voice, whereas I find Cox to be like the Jamie Oliver of science.

Edit: Maybe it's just that the UK doesn't seem to have the range of 'science figures' the US has. You guys got Sagan, Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson. The UK got Johnny Ball & Terry Nutkins.

...Patrick Moore, David Attenborough to name two quickly off the top of my head.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
To add some balance, I love Ince and have for years.

I'm one of those heathen Skeptics/militant atheists, though and help organise this:

https://www.qedcon.org

So that's probably why I like that style of comedy/chat/podcast. Utter shambles is particularly good

Calling a scientist smug for pointing out things that are widely believed to be true (or that are demonstrably true) is something that gets on my nerves.

Edit: al-khalili is ace. And new president of the British humanist association too

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 28, 2013

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...Patrick Moore, David Attenborough to name two quickly off the top of my head.

It's all about the mighty Jim Al-Khalili.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One of those is dead.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

thehustler posted:

To add some balance, I love Ince and have for years.
I think his material is really good and I find him really funny, especially when he's doing skeptic and science stuff. I've been to a couple of his live shows and loved them all, but his "oh woe is me" attitude does sometimes wear a bit thin, his Twitter is full of it. He even managed to upset the local theatre here by tweeting something like "Hate large groups of people? Why not come see my show tonight!" which they took as a dig at their ability to sell tickets.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

PriorMarcus posted:

One of those is dead.

Zombie Patrick Moore.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

One of those is dead.

But so is Carl Sagan. :confused:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How about Mr Hawking?

Somebody else who has started to pop up more often, and had also has a new BBC series *start recently is Dr Helen Czerski. I do not object.

* Orbit: Earth' extraordinary journey, co-presented with Kate Humble.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

How about Mr Hawking?
A lot of people probably think Hawking is from the States because of his accent.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I think his material is really good and I find him really funny, especially when he's doing skeptic and science stuff. I've been to a couple of his live shows and loved them all, but his "oh woe is me" attitude does sometimes wear a bit thin, his Twitter is full of it. He even managed to upset the local theatre here by tweeting something like "Hate large groups of people? Why not come see my show tonight!" which they took as a dig at their ability to sell tickets.

I remember that, probably not a good message to give out.

I think he's jaded at not being quite popular really. I saw him at a gig with 25 people once. We all brought our chairs around the stage and he just sat at the edge and have up using the microphone. It was great. I hoped that things like the infinite monkey cage would bring him more fans but he still seems to be very niche. And that's sad. His stuff is brilliant.

And if you really want to get him mad, ask him what he thinks about Dara O'Briain's Science Club...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

A lot of people probably think Hawking is from the States because of his accent.

I hope that's true, so, so much.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

McDragon posted:

I hope that's true, so, so much.
About 4 years ago Business Insider (or some wank like that) published an op ed against the possibility that Obama might introduce health care to the USA stating that "if Stephen Hawking were British, he'd have been allowed to die / killed by the NHS when he was younger for not being economically useful" (I paraphrase)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
http://news.investors.com/Article.aspx?id=333933006516877&t=ed

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I remember that. But if they thought he was from the USA because of his accent, that would make it even sillier.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Oh man Top Gear was so good. That P45 segment was the funniest thing I've seen on Top Gear in a long time.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

concerned mom posted:

Oh man Top Gear was so good. That P45 segment was the funniest thing I've seen on Top Gear in a long time.

What I liked about it was that there wasn't really any real 'Oh, Jeremy, is there anything you won't say that makes me feel bad about watching this poo poo?' moments. I hope that the new editorial control keeps a slightly tighter grip on him saying stupid, right wing offensive poo poo.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
That bit where Brian Cox ripped off Drugs Live was surely telly everyone could enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ruBtLIvJM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh THAT Brian Cox. I keep confusing him with the other Brian Cox.