Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Zoran posted:

You can indeed reach Eva without having a pistol, in which case you're given a Predator.

Right, in that case it really is a good question why that sequence doesn't force a specific pistol on you while the other one does :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So I just started another playthrough starting with the first and I'm planning to go through them all.

I've heard mention here the shotguns are pretty OP in ME1 which I never really used before, and that the Locust SMG was overpowered in the second one.

I'm planning on doing harder difficulty playthroughs for the ME2 & ME3, any other weapons that give you an edge? I always played before just switching them out and trying each different one but I never got a complete feel if any weapon was supremely better than the next (except SMG's, which I foolishly dismissed as crap in the second game)

I never got a good feel for the weapons in the third because they were so many top pick from.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Adding on to Willfrey's question (I recently picked up ME3 during the sale and am finally finishing my ME1+2 playthroughs):

1) Is there anything obtuse I should know before playing ME3? I mean things like how (ME2 spoilers I guess) you can only get the Geth Pulse Rifle in ME2 by playing Tali's recruitment mission on Hardcore or higher.

2) Are weapons class restricted again? I've been spoiled by using the save editor to give my Adept Assault Rifles in ME2. If it's possible to do that in ME3, how? If not/weapons are still restricted it's not a deal breaker or anything though.

e:

Also that vvvv but for ME2. Is there any mission that isn't part of the main story or a loyalty mission worth doing?

e2: Thanks for the answers Burning Mustache.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 19, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I decided to start a new game from ME1 and play the character through ME3 for some reason, and I'm wondering--are there any N7/uncharted planet/citadel missions that come up in any meaningful or interesting way in either of the sequels? Because I've played through a few and am now remembering how boring they are, and I'd really like to just power through the main missions and get to ME2, because the first hasn't aged super well for me.

The only thing I can think of is getting Wrex's armor to guarantee that he'll survive Virmire but even that's not necessary, I can achieve that goal in other ways. Is there anything I'm not remembering that makes them worth doing (for story purposes, or interesting cameos in the later games)? Maybe some of the ones that involve Cerberus?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I decided to start a new game from ME1 and play the character through ME3 for some reason, and I'm wondering--are there any N7/uncharted planet/citadel missions that come up in any meaningful or interesting way in either of the sequels? Because I've played through a few and am now remembering how boring they are, and I'd really like to just power through the main missions and get to ME2, because the first hasn't aged super well for me.

The only thing I can think of is getting Wrex's armor to guarantee that he'll survive Virmire but even that's not necessary, I can achieve that goal in other ways. Is there anything I'm not remembering that makes them worth doing (for story purposes, or interesting cameos in the later games)? Maybe some of the ones that involve Cerberus?

Nothing. Its all pointless. If you really sit down to think, it all just devolves into cheap email callbacks or one-liners.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
If you do Feros: Data Recovery, UNC: Asari Writings, and buy the Elkoss Combine license in ME1, you get 3 EMS from Conrad Verner!! :shepicide:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Willfrey posted:

I'm planning on doing harder difficulty playthroughs for the ME2 & ME3, any other weapons that give you an edge? I always played before just switching them out and trying each different one but I never got a complete feel if any weapon was supremely better than the next (except SMG's, which I foolishly dismissed as crap in the second game)

I never got a good feel for the weapons in the third because they were so many top pick from.

For ME2, it'll obviously depend on the class you're going to play, but in general ME2 has a couple of decent guns in either class.
If anything, I'd say pistols are probably the most underwhelming guns in ME2.

The Locust is an all around killing machine that pretty much outclasses everything else, and it's available to all classes.

That said, if you happen to have the Firepower Pack DLC for ME2, the Mattock assault rifle is quite possibly the most overpowered (and fun) gun in the game.

Umberger posted:

Adding on to Willfrey's question (I recently picked up ME3 during the sale and am finally finishing my ME1+2 playthroughs):

1) Is there anything obtuse I should know before playing ME3? I mean things like how (ME2 spoilers I guess) you can only get the Geth Pulse Rifle in ME2 by playing Tali's recruitment mission on Hardcore or higher.

Nothing like that thing in the spoiler I could think of.
There are obviously guns scattered about the levels that you can miss to pick up, but that's not a huge deal and it was technically the same in ME2.

The one important thing about ME3 is that there are certain sidequests that will become unavailable if you progress the main storyline too far too quickly.
What you'll want to do is to finish every single sidequest you have available before you attend the "Priority: [...]" missions in your quest log.

Umberger posted:

2) Are weapons class restricted again? I've been spoiled by using the save editor to give my Adept Assault Rifles in ME2. If it's possible to do that in ME3, how? If not/weapons are still restricted it's not a deal breaker or anything though.

Nope, in ME3 you can use any combinations of gun types you desire, and right away, so go hog wild!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Boogle posted:

Nothing. Its all pointless. If you really sit down to think, it all just devolves into cheap email callbacks or one-liners.

Yeah, but....I do kinda like Conrad.

Thanks for the advice everyone, good to know I'm not missing out on too much by beelining for the finish (which does kind of make me question my decision to start with ME1 but whatever, too late).

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Umberger posted:

Weapons are unrestricted in ME3 but there's a new weapon weight mechanic linked directly to how fast your powers recharge.

So you're encouraged to run an Adept with a light weapon, but you can carry heavier ones if you want.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

etjester posted:

If you do Feros: Data Recovery, UNC: Asari Writings, and buy the Elkoss Combine license in ME1, you get 3 EMS from Conrad Verner!! :shepicide:

Don't you also have to do the Jenna sidequest on the Citadel?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Don't you also have to do the Jenna sidequest on the Citadel?

That'll upgrade the EMS to 5. It sounds like he intentionally missed that one for the side-effect it causes.

However since Ainsley McTree mentioned he likes Conrad. Make sure you do Jenna's sidequest for that extra 2 EMS. You'll thank me come ME3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unclouded posted:

That'll upgrade the EMS to 5. It sounds like he intentionally missed that one for the side-effect it causes.

However since Ainsley McTree mentioned he likes Conrad. Make sure you do Jenna's sidequest for that extra 2 EMS. You'll thank me come ME3.

Oh wow, so I thought the first guy was joking (because that sounds like a pretty random yet specific assortment of sidequests for such a minor event chain that spans three games) but your post prompted me to check out the mass effect wiki and wow, Conrad Verner's life story is more lovingly crafted than I would have ever expected.

I guess I spoiled it for myself by looking, but I did save myself the trouble of hunting down ten matriarch writings so I think I won in the end really.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Burning Mustache posted:

If anything, I'd say pistols are probably the most underwhelming guns in ME2.

You obviously didn't use the Carnifex much. Even on my Insanity run that was my go-to sidearm for everything. I find it's got the perfect balance between rate of fire and damage output, and it's available in ME3.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Radio Paranoia posted:

You obviously didn't use the Carnifex much. Even on my Insanity run that was my go-to sidearm for everything. I find it's got the perfect balance between rate of fire and damage output, and it's available in ME3.

Yeah, I mean, they're not bad per se (especially the Carnifex), it's just that I always found them to be a bit lackluster compared to some of the ARs / SRs / SMGs the game has to offer. Heck, I would say that ME2 doesn't even have any all around terrible or useless guns, so you can't really go wrong with whatever you pick, although there are some outliers like the previously mentioned Locust, Mattock, or even the Revenant and the Widow that kind of elevate themselves above most other guns.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

etjester posted:

The whole encounter in ME3 makes it all so worth it, though.

Burning Mustache posted:

The Locust is an all around killing machine that pretty much outclasses everything else, and it's available to all classes.

That said, if you happen to have the Firepower Pack DLC for ME2, the Mattock assault rifle is quite possibly the most overpowered (and fun) gun in the game.
Neither the Locust nor the Mattock are remotely a match for a Geth Shotgun in the hands of a Shepard with Stasis as bonus power.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Sombrerotron posted:

The whole encounter in ME3 makes it all so worth it, though.

I have yet to muster up the strength to do a pro-Conrad run. I've always ballsed it up one way or another :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't even know how you kick that little side quest off in ME3 and I've played through the dang game twice. I've seen the end of the quest, which seems to be a bug given the dialogue, but I've never seen a scene where you meet Conrad and decide to help him out or whatever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

2house2fly posted:

I don't even know how you kick that little side quest off in ME3 and I've played through the dang game twice. I've seen the end of the quest, which seems to be a bug given the dialogue, but I've never seen a scene where you meet Conrad and decide to help him out or whatever.

He's in the part of the Citadel where all the refugees congregate. I forget exactly what point he shows up, but I want to say it's after Priorty: Citadel 2.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

He's in the part of the Citadel where all the refugees congregate. I forget exactly what point he shows up, but I want to say it's after Priorty: Citadel 2.

It's during the quest where you fix the medigel stations. I never saw him since I just fixed them and let the quest-giver know.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

2house2fly posted:

It's part of a seemingly unrelated quest about medigel. Instead of doing that part right away, go in the opposite direction and you'll see him. He doesn't spawn until you get the quest so most people will actually miss it the first time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BreakAtmo posted:

It's during the quest where you fix the medigel stations. I never saw him since I just fixed them and let the quest-giver know.

Yeah, but I don't know when that quest becomes available. Does that mean you didn't meet the guy behind it?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It's after Priority: Citadel II. There's a doctor stationed near where Kelly Chambers hangs out that you will overhear complaining about sabotaged medi-gel dispensers and, if Conrad is around, an "idiot preaching about Cerberus." If Conrad does not appear on account of you ignoring his side plots and/or telling him to get lost in the previous games, you simply fix the dispensers and the doctor just thanks you, the Cerberus guy doesn't appear at all. You can also just fix the dispensers without going to the end of the docks where Conrad is and he will still appear but what transpires doesn't make that much sense since you never talked to Conrad and learned that he had a Cerberus contact who used him so he could sabotage the medi-gel.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Willfrey posted:

So I just started another playthrough starting with the first and I'm planning to go through them all.

I've heard mention here the shotguns are pretty OP in ME1 which I never really used before, and that the Locust SMG was overpowered in the second one.

ME2 - If you've got DLC, I'll nth the Locust recommendation. It's basically the patron saint of headshots. The Mattock is a really good AR too, I think it's from one of the firepower packs. The only downside to the mattock is that it's semi-auto so you will end up with an RSI to your trigger finger. I also had a lot of fun with the Revenant, especially on a Soldier class.

ME3 - I don't think any weapon rises to the sheer heights of ridiculousness that the Venom shotgun achieves. It's DLC, but the pack is worth the price just for that drat gun. It's a slug style shotgun that fires grenades. Charged fire turns it into a hilariously destructive cluster bomb launcher. The downside to the Venom is that it is literally too good, and turns ME3 into an adventure game where the solution to every puzzle is "Use Venom on Bad Guy". Mooks in cover / around corners? Bounce a shot into the wall behind them and let the spray of cluster bombs kill everything. Pack of mooks out in the open? One well placed shot will gib the whole group. Atlas/Harvester/Banshee/Brute? They might survive long enough that you have to reload, depending on your difficulty level.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Finished my latest ME1 playthrough and figured another run through ME2 would be in order. But no, says Origin. See, for whatever reason, none of my DLC works or even installs. Origin spent a good while automatically downloading all the DLC, but none of it would install. The install buttons did nothing, which is no surprise because I didn't actually have the installer files anywhere despite the long-rear end download. So, I delete the installers folder and try to download all the DLC again. Well, now it won't even download more than 17 KB of any of the files. :shepicide:

I have never had any real issues with Origin, but gently caress this. I'll try to download the DLC installers from the Bioware site later, I guess.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Finished my latest ME1 playthrough and figured another run through ME2 would be in order. But no, says Origin. See, for whatever reason, none of my DLC works or even installs. Origin spent a good while automatically downloading all the DLC, but none of it would install. The install buttons did nothing, which is no surprise because I didn't actually have the installer files anywhere despite the long-rear end download. So, I delete the installers folder and try to download all the DLC again. Well, now it won't even download more than 17 KB of any of the files. :shepicide:

I have never had any real issues with Origin, but gently caress this. I'll try to download the DLC installers from the Bioware site later, I guess.

I had something similar happen to me. I had the steam version of ME2 which I then registered on Origin just to have it there. Of course one day I accidentally launched ME2 from Origin and ever since then everytime I load origin I get an installer popping up for each individual piece of dlc released for the game. The installers won't do anything but sit there until I cancel them.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Is there any way at all to get the default Female Shepard face from 1 & 2 to show up properly in 3? Whenever I try to import that face from ME2, it always come out hosed up. It would be nice if there was a face code to recreate it.

I'm referring to the one that looks like this:

I don't see why they felt the need to change the default to a new on that looks worse, and then not even give you a way to keep the old one.

Also, that hair color seems to be completely gone from ME3.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
When I imported my ME2 guy into 3 he ended up looking really weird so I had to change him around a lot. After beating 3 I've gone back to replay 2 but I'm too used to his new look and the old one looks weird now :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So here's a thing: that bit near the start where you get charged down by Dr. Eva will force you to use whichever pistol you have equipped. The acolyte can't do enough damage to her in the time you get, so if you equip the acolyte during that mission, it's impossible to proceed.

I had some problems with this as well.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I just looked at a few youtube videos and it seems like damage isn't the issue at all, you just need to shoot her 4 times. Maybe they thought it would be more cinematic? :psyduck:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

Is there any way at all to get the default Female Shepard face from 1 & 2 to show up properly in 3? Whenever I try to import that face from ME2, it always come out hosed up.

If you created a face in ME1, and imported it to ME2 without changing it, it won't import properly into ME3.
If you create a new face in ME2, it will import to ME3 correctly.

This might fix it? I haven't tried this

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
Just started this game. Finished Palaven, was going to attempt to hit up some sidequests before progressing the main ones. Went to do Shrike Abyssal: Prothean Obelisk... what the gently caress? The second I enter the solar system I'm chased down and mobbed by reapers. I can usually evade them out of the system back to the other other but I never have time to scan planets or anything... And I'm playing on the rpg/easy mode, so I feel like I'm probably just loving up something basic here and it's not supposed to be this hard. Any help?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's the amount of scanning pulses that you make that determine when/if reapers will show up. Instead of just randomly "pinging" everywhere, move around until you hear the tone indicating you've found something. Once you have, ping so you can identify it, pick it up, get the hell out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just finished my first ever playthrough of ME3. I had got the game on release day, but moments before loading it, decided I wanted to take a single save through ME1 and ME2 before hitting the third up. I'd played them both on different systems and so had to start a fresh.

I only got to ME3 sometime at the end of November last year. I grabbed all DLCs for ME1, ME2 and ME3 so I could have as full a story experience as possible and against all odds I avoided every last bit of spoilers I could. I went into the game completely blind to anyone's reactions to anything.

I think ignoring any sort of hype/leadup to the game (other than knowing the date it was released) helped me greatly. I also suspect having experienced the extended cut first and leviathan also increased my enjoyment as I utterly loved the game to bits. It was definitely my favourite of the trilogy, just edging out ME1 which I had always preferred to ME2. After finishing the game I read up on the reactions and original endings and can totally understand why there was so much backlash. I got very lucky in that my resultant ending fit the Shepherd that I'd played through with for all three games.

Is there plans for another story driven DLC? I had assumed that what we had was it and seeing as it's been a year since the game came out (or near enough) they were moving onto new games.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

demolina posted:

Is there plans for another story driven DLC? I had assumed that what we had was it and seeing as it's been a year since the game came out (or near enough) they were moving onto new games.

There's one more singleplayer DLC confirmed to be in production, though that's all the official info we have on it so far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

There's one more singleplayer DLC confirmed to be in production, though that's all the official info we have on it so far.

In terms on non-official info, we also know that all 8 main writers are working on it, and that Seth Green, Kimberly Brooks and Rafael Sbarge at least have done voice work for it. Also, the devs tweeted recently that they had their final ME3-related meeting, so we should be getting details soon.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tweets with these 2 photos were made this morning by devs:

Omega/casino related thing and big Krogan dude with a hammer or something

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Halo/Mass Effect crossover confirmed

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

If you created a face in ME1, and imported it to ME2 without changing it, it won't import properly into ME3.

Where the hell did this come from? I've never had this problem with ME3 imports.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I'm a latecomer and playing through the series for the first time, currently in the middle of ME2. As far as ME3 goes, are there any PC bundles anywhere that include all(some) of the DLC up to this point? Or is EA just sticking it to people by still making them pay $35 for all the (story) DLC for a $25 game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Voodoo posted:

I'm a latecomer and playing through the series for the first time, currently in the middle of ME2. As far as ME3 goes, are there any PC bundles anywhere that include all(some) of the DLC up to this point? Or is EA just sticking it to people by still making them pay $35 for all the (story) DLC for a $25 game?

$35 for a game that has also had like $50 worth of free DLC in the MP, plus a free "extended cut" that clarifies the ending a bit more for the people that didn't quite get it? That doesn't sound too bad to me, honestly.

• Locked thread