Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Raffles posted:

Ok so I've got my ATV 2 ticking away on eBay, hopefully I'll make a tidy profit. The question is though, should I hold off in the ATV 3. It came last March and Apple seem to be moving everything to yearly update schedules. Have there been any rumblings of an Apple TV refresh this spring or is common wisdom pointing towards the next ATV being an actual TV set?

I just sold mine for $210. Seriously if you are reading this thread and you aren't going to jailbreak your ATV2, you should sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Viper_3000 posted:

I just sold mine for $210. Seriously if you are reading this thread and you aren't going to jailbreak your ATV2, you should sell it.

Ebay or amazon?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Don Lapre posted:

Ebay or amazon?

Ebay

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
Is there a way for Windows users to set up a proxy for ATV3? The only method I've found on the Apple website is to create a profile using the Configurator, but that's only for OS X users.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have an ATV2. I jailbroke it about a year ago, messed around with putting a Weather widget on it, put XBMC on it, which ran like stuttery dog-poo.

As I sit here (with a now unjailbroken ATV2) I wonder if I should sell it on Ebay and get an ATV3 for the 1080p.

I guess my question is, did the reasons/features/cool aspects of jailbreaking an ATV2 improve over the last year?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

So I have an ATV2. I jailbroke it about a year ago, messed around with putting a Weather widget on it, put XBMC on it, which ran like stuttery dog-poo.

As I sit here (with a now unjailbroken ATV2) I wonder if I should sell it on Ebay and get an ATV3 for the 1080p.

I guess my question is, did the reasons/features/cool aspects of jailbreaking an ATV2 improve over the last year?

I'm not sure when you installed it, but last year XBMC released Eden (11.0) which I found to be a huge improvement in terms of smoothness and also more reliable decoding. They should be coming out with a stable release of Frodo (12.0) soon which I can only imagine will be a little better.

Whether you should sell it or keep it really depends on what you use it for. If you can get by without needing to access media on an NAS or something then it may be worth it to you to sell it. After all, you can turn a ~$100 profit by upgrading to an ATV3. However, if you need more functionality than the stock system provides, I would give XBMC another shot or maybe try Plex.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks, good info. :)

I guess my last question would just be...
all this talk of activating Bluetooth and possible apps, is this most likely JUST on the ATV3 or would that be on the ATV2 as well, perhaps?

(if we even know...)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Thanks, good info. :)

I guess my last question would just be...
all this talk of activating Bluetooth and possible apps, is this most likely JUST on the ATV3 or would that be on the ATV2 as well, perhaps?

(if we even know...)

There's no way to know, but if they did it I doubt the ATV2 would be fully supported. I'm just dude From The Internet, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but it makes sense given how old the unit is now. I'm planning on selling mine on ebay while the price is good, as I don't really need it right now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I realize it was a dumb question for me to ask here, I guess the better question would have been if the WiFi chipset on the ATV2 also had some kind of dormant Bluetooth.

But I agree with you, I think I don't really need anything particularly JB-worthy out of my ATV2 and will probably ebay it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Admittedly, I haven't used eBay much in my life, when I posted my AppleTV yesterday, it suggested I would attract more buyers by making my starting bid 99 dollars. (So I did.)

It's been 1 day and I have 1 bid for 99 dollars. My assumption is that a lot of bidding activity happens near the end of the auction. Let's hope so... :)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

Admittedly, I haven't used eBay much in my life, when I posted my AppleTV yesterday, it suggested I would attract more buyers by making my starting bid 99 dollars. (So I did.)

It's been 1 day and I have 1 bid for 99 dollars. My assumption is that a lot of bidding activity happens near the end of the auction. Let's hope so... :)

It does but are you sure they didn't suggest 99 cents?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pretty sure...

?

But who knows now...
:)

(Edit) actually very sure since it auto filled it for me...

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

It'll pick up once all the other items that started at 99 cents catch up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think you're just losing out to all the Buy It Now sales. People want to buy something, not wait a week to maybe buy something at an unknown price.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
The other question is, how much feedback do you have, particularly as a seller?

I know a lot of people don't want to take a risk on someone with no history of selling or using eBay. Maybe you'll get something at a discount, but you might lose your money entirely too.

On big ticket items, it's a difficult risk to take.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a 2nd gen ATV and on the "About" page it lists the Apple TV Software as version 4.4.4 (3330). When I select Update Software, it tells me that the ATV is up to date.

Wiki tells me that 4.4.4 was the last version that came out before the 3rd gen ATVs came out and Apple released 5.0. Do I need to do anything special to get the firmware to bump past 4.4.4?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

einTier posted:

The other question is, how much feedback do you have, particularly as a seller?

I know a lot of people don't want to take a risk on someone with no history of selling or using eBay. Maybe you'll get something at a discount, but you might lose your money entirely too.

On big ticket items, it's a difficult risk to take.

I've sold about 15 items in my life and 100% positive rating with a score of (7) whatever that means.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a 2nd gen ATV and on the "About" page it lists the Apple TV Software as version 4.4.4 (3330). When I select Update Software, it tells me that the ATV is up to date.

Wiki tells me that 4.4.4 was the last version that came out before the 3rd gen ATVs came out and Apple released 5.0. Do I need to do anything special to get the firmware to bump past 4.4.4?

Get a USB cable and manually update the software.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so let me know if I'm understanding this correctly before I buy an AppleTV:

If I want to stream video from my PC downstairs to my TV upstairs, the files have to be in .mp4 format, and they have to be imported into itunes?

Otherwise I have to use airvideo to double stream to airplay? How does that affect video quality/buffering time?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Elysium posted:

Ok so let me know if I'm understanding this correctly before I buy an AppleTV:

If I want to stream video from my PC downstairs to my TV upstairs, the files have to be in .mp4 format, and they have to be imported into itunes?

Otherwise I have to use airvideo to double stream to airplay? How does that affect video quality/buffering time?

You mean like using AirVideo Server and your phone to throw it up on the ATV? I've done that quite a bit and it works beautifully. It probably all comes down to your house's bandwidth and your computer's processing power, I'm sure...

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Feenix posted:

I've sold about 15 items in my life and 100% positive rating with a score of (7) whatever that means.

It will increase in value as the deadline for the auction comes up. Most things don't really start to escalate until about 24 hours before they end.

Your feedback will hurt you slightly, though. Generally, you want 10+ feedback as a seller before selling anything. A good way to do this is to buy a bunch of cheap stuff on eBay, then turn around and resell it. Make sure to leave feedback and hound your customers to make sure they leave it for you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I had a bunch of people over to watch the WWE Royal Rumble PPV last night. There was a live pre-show on the WWE iPhone app, so I used AirPlay to throw it onto the TV. It was a seamless experience and people were pretty amazed when I explained that this crystal-clear live video was coming from my phone. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

einTier posted:

It will increase in value as the deadline for the auction comes up. Most things don't really start to escalate until about 24 hours before they end.

Your feedback will hurt you slightly, though. Generally, you want 10+ feedback as a seller before selling anything. A good way to do this is to buy a bunch of cheap stuff on eBay, then turn around and resell it. Make sure to leave feedback and hound your customers to make sure they leave it for you.

Solid advice. Thanks. For what it's worth I am up to 172.50 with 4 hours to go. :) (Even if it sold right now I'd be able to get a brand new ATV3 + a nice dinner.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

5.2 software update is available.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Feenix posted:

Solid advice. Thanks. For what it's worth I am up to 172.50 with 4 hours to go. :) (Even if it sold right now I'd be able to get a brand new ATV3 + a nice dinner.)

Sounds like you might have sold it just in time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

einTier posted:

Sounds like you might have sold it just in time.

Is this different from all those other fake announcements?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't believe ATV3 is JB-able, I don't believe that site.

The people I trust are saying 6.1 will come for ATV as well, (enabling BT Keyboard access) but that ATV3 will not be Jailbreakable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've got an appleTV 1st gen (40GB) kicking around, are those worth anything to attempt to sell? I was just planning to donate it to a garage sale for the local animal shelter with some other stuff. Hope they can get some bucks for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

priznat posted:

I've got an appleTV 1st gen (40GB) kicking around, are those worth anything to attempt to sell? I was just planning to donate it to a garage sale for the local animal shelter with some other stuff. Hope they can get some bucks for it.

$100+

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=40gb+appletv&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Elysium posted:

Is this different from all those other fake announcements?

Nope. Not different at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a final update to close out this saga: I got $177.50 (before shipping) for my ATV2 on Ebay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

See: new thread title :)

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I won't believe any jailbreaks until Star War Sex Parrot dunks a new one on this thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is it normal for the Apply TV to take FOREVER to do these updates? Because its still "preparing update" after almost half an hour.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just power cycle it and try again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That did the trick. Paired my barely-used iPad keyboard with it, works perfectly.

The shortcuts buttons (home/play/skip) work too, so yeah this is awesome.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
My off-brand iPad BT keyboard worked fine on my ATV3, too.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I thought the BT keyboard thing sounded pretty stupid and pointless. Then I realized I have an Apple BT keyboard I bought for my first iPad thinking I would use it all the time that has been sitting in my garage for a year. Hooray comically oversized remote for my Apple TV!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
With the new bluetooth keyboard support I was thinking about getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Mini-W...etooth+keyboard

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wir...etooth+keyboard

Someone should make a bluetooth remote control for the Apple TV with a flip open keyboard :) that would be cool. (kickstarter project anyone?)

Edit: I just found this one

http://www.pandawill.com/rii-mini-i6-2nd-bluetooth-wireless-keyboard-universal-remote-control-2-in-1-white-p47588.html

Not sure I'm willing to throw $50 to a site I've never heard of for one though.

Edit2: After doing more research, the buttons on the back turn out to be IR not bluetooth. :(

echobucket fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is stuck at the What's New screen and I can't get it to do anything else.

• Locked thread